Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emailing large iPhone 4S video

• 30-10-2012 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I took a video this evening so I can send it to someone who's out of the country. I took it on the 4S in portrait because it suited (I know landscape is preferred but it was a kid chatting).

iOS 6 wouldnt let me send it because it was a minute long and too big to email so I ran it through handbrake to reduce it but its saving to the desktop in landscape mode.

Is there any way I can simply reduce the size of the video to less than 25mb so I can send it via mail? Or just rotate the video after I've reduced it with Handbrake?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Maybe try signing up for Dropbox, no file size limits, just save to the dropbox folder and give your friend the file URL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

TheChizler wrote: »
    Maybe try signing up for Dropbox, no file size limits, just save to the dropbox folder and give your friend the file URL.

Ah thanks, I have dropbox but they're gonna be looking at it on their own iPhone in Spain so ideally I'd like to just send them a mail. Its a little halloween message from their granddaughter. Its 165mb and to make it easy to download I need to get it down to less than 25mb.

I dont understand why it auto rotated it after I converted it. The original is sitting on my mac desktop now in portrait the way I want it, just the 25mb version is beside it in landscape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I had a the really annoying problem of trying to salvage about 10 minutes of portrait shot iphone footage... NEVER shoot portrait. It's wrong and it's the work of the devil. I used sony vegas to recrop, and it wasn't fun. You can email them the landscape one and they can just turn their phone until it looks right, and if its on the screen they can just turn their head...

I didnt think it'd be such an ordeal. To reduce the size of a video that looks perfectly fine without rotating shouldnt be this tricky.

I have the original now on my desktop the way it was taken.. all I really need is to reduce it.. Hmmm..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

upload it to youtube from your phone and it will work, you can make it private and then download it on the computer and it will be the right resolution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Trotter wrote: »
    Ah thanks, I have dropbox but they're gonna be looking at it on their own iPhone in Spain

Why can''t they download from Dropbox on their iPhone ?

Piliger wrote: »
    Why can''t they download from Dropbox on their iPhone ?

They're roaming in Spain.. I don't want to cost them a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm afraid that's going to happen anyway if you're emailing them 25MB to receive while they're roaming...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Can you upload video to a shared photo stream?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭shanec1928

if ye both have iphones iMessage the video....

• Advertisement

In the end I just sent the sideways version and told her to put portrait lock on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Same cost. A visit to any reputable hotel foyer or other free local wifi location would fix that.

Just wary of the cost. I'm on Vodafone passport and I got a bill for €45 one day on a trip to London. They wouldnt/couldnt tell me what I'd used the data for and I couldnt figure it out either. Still ended up having to pay the bill.

Advertisement