Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build - queries

Options
  • 30-10-2012 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭

With the last piece of hardware that I need set to arrive tomorrow (fingers crossed) I figured I'd have a few queries during the process of building. Hence the thread.

However, I'm also keen to get my set up planned out in advance (so I can actually get the thing built the day I get the mobo).

My new build is as follows (New parts in bold):
    Coolermaster Gladiator R600
    OCZ Extreme 700w
    ASRock Extreme 4 (Due to arrive wednesday 31/10)
    i5-3570k
    Arctic Freezer 13 (it'll be a bit of a squeeze)
    GSkill Ares 1600Mhz 8GB
    XFX HD7950
    Samsung 830 SSD 128GB
    WD Velociraptor 160GB 10k rpm
    WD Caviar 2.5TB x2
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    USB stick with Windows 8 on it.

Before I start fiddling with the OS and before I install the SSD I'll install everything else. I'm going to run Crysis 2 with all settings up full for an hour or so to test all the relevant parts.
    Then I suppose I'll disconnect the HDDs and plug in the USB with W8 and the new SSD.

I've never installed an OS before on a machine that already had one and I've never used an SSD before.
    Should I first install the SSD and then the OS or can I do them both simultaneously? Will I be able to set up partitions and all that jazz during Windows 8 set up?

Currently, the OS HDD is partitioned roughly 40GB(OS) - 120GB(Games).
    It's going to be entirely dedicated to games once I have W8 installed.
    Should I just format the 10k rpm HDD once Windows8 is installed and then reinstall games on to the empty drive?
    Do I need to keep any of the W7 files?

I have no mounting to put the SSD in. Will cable-tying it to something be ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

First off it's not really necessary to test the whole system out with a game for an hour. Also an Operating System will tend not to work well if it wasn't installed on the machine with that hardware in it.

First off just connect the SSD, leave the HDD with Windows 7 disconnected from the motherboard. Then install Windows 8 onto the SSD, Monotype has made a great guide. This way all of the Windows 8 installation will be on the SSD. After Windows 8 is installed then you can connect the old HDD to your system and just make sure that the SSD is first in the boot priority.

The SSD can be mounted in whatever way you want since there is no moving parts in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Another thing. My internet is broken at the moment.

I've read that W8 links in with a Windows Live account. Will I be able to set that up easy enough at a later date?

Right so I've more or less built the PC.

When I boot up nothing appears on the screen and the little debug feature, "Dr Debug" is showing "A2".

In the manual it says that "A2" refers to "IDE Detect".

Any idears?

Right never mind.

I was under the impression that I'd be able to plug in the new hardware and go but maybe I've changed too many components (all of them bar the HDDs pretty much).

I'm going to boot straight to the SSD and install W8.

Then I can get all the drivers once I'm able to get into windows.

Advertisement