Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capital Cup Last 16 - Reading vs Arsenal 19:45

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

The ref certainly had his whistle in his mouth when Jenkinson shoots. Could be to give the Walcott goal or to blow full time?

p1120158.jpg
    Might have been about to blow for the peno but held on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Wow. I don't recall ever seeing that particular scoreline before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

The ref certainly had his whistle in his mouth when Jenkinson shoots. Could be to give the Walcott goal or to blow full time?

Why is there a defender crouched down in the goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Why is there a defender crouched down in the goal?

His hand is sore from the handball.

Serious answer is that, that is the defender that cleared 'walcott's shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Could also have been to give a peno and red card to the reading defender. No way was it for full time though.

That is probably it, I actually missed the hand ball with all that was going on in the game :o

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

donfers wrote: »
    on top of that he should have sent off Kocielny and given Reading a penalty so it's another case of the big side getting all the calls
    haha

What a match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

breffni666 wrote: »
    I think AWs time is now up. He has served us well but cant bring us any further. Regardless what happens the rest of this game, enough is enough!!

orly.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

What a ridiculous match!!! :P :D

Was some viewing though!!!! Trust Arsenal to save football after the weekend it's had!! :P :P :P!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

@obinho FT Stats Reading v Arsenal Shots 19-34, On target 9-13, Fouls 14-18, Duels Won 55%-45%, Pass Accuracy 71%-86%, Possession 35%-65%

53 shots in 120 minutes - amazing - what a crazy game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Soups123 wrote: »
    That was super, love the away support. And the other lad strolling out getting death stairs from the rest

That lad has been on Twitter defending himself, saying he was actually getting a round in and wasn't leaving at all! You won't hear this on Sky though :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its nice to be talking about the football for change.

No Arsenal fan,, but credit where credit is due. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That was super, love the away support. And the other lad strolling out getting death stairs from the rest
    With a stairs like that, it sounds like he was lucky to get out at all :p

Quazzie wrote: »
    With a stairs like that, it sounds like he was lucky to get out at all :p
    I knew it was wrong but I couldn't get the real spelling in my head, thought to myself 7/5 game everyone's going to be to excited to catch my spelling error:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Everyone says what a game but 7-5 is just redic, its like a score in 5 a side, is it that amazing!

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Everyone says what a game but 7-5 is just redic, its like a score in 5 a side, is it that amazing!
    Aah piss off....... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Crazy game :)

but a great one :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Aah piss off....... :)

To be fair, I think his point may have been that it wasn't exactly a match for the purists!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Madness... MADNESS!!!!

p1120158.jpg
    Thought he looked ready to blow for a penalty.
    That lad has been on Twitter defending himself, saying he was actually getting a round in and wasn't leaving at all! You won't hear this on Sky though :rolleyes:
    That's what I thought at the time but the Sky lads made their mind up quick. Same with the jerseys being thrown into the crowd at the end saying they must've thought they'd won.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boring boring Arsenal! (soz if I'm a bit late with that one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

So Arsenal take the first set 7-5, play stopped due to bad light and will resume on center court tomorrow. :o

Wilberto wrote: »

To be fair, I think his point may have been that it wasn't exactly a match for the purists!!! :D
    I was only joking, it was pure entertainment that's all! 7-5 even Wenger looked pissed for the last one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Saw the half time score on BBC and decided to tune in for the second half.

Boy am I glad I did now :D

For the neutral supporter that game was amazing... end to end and chances/shots galore (less said about the defending the better!)
    pithater1 wrote: »
    So Arsenal take the first set 7-5, play stopped due to bad light and will resume on center court tomorrow. :o

:)

Even Wenger said it was like a Tennis game plus the goal sequence is perfect 1-0, 2-0, 3-0, 4-0; 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 4-4; 4-5, 5-5, 5-6, 5-7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

He's blowing for the goal I'd say. At that point the ball had been cleared away and Jenkinson is about to shoot in the rebound. In the referee's mind he saw the ball cross the line first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

cambo2008 wrote: »
    What are they Arsenal fans singing about RvP does anyone know??
    cambo2008 wrote: »
    It was to the tune of his "scores when he wants" one ??

i thought the RVP stuff was being sung by Reading fans

the first was

he left cos your shít x2
    robin van persie
    he left cos your shít

and the other was something like

laughing at you x2
    robin van persie
    he's laughing at you

they could be wrong though but that's what it sounded like to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

pithater1 wrote: »

They won the first set 6-1, previous round vs Coventry...straight sets win? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,450 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

batistuta9 wrote: »
    i thought the RVP stuff was being sung by Reading fans

the first was

he left cos your shít x2
    robin van persie
    he left cos your shít

and the other was something like

laughing at you x2
    robin van persie
    he's laughing at you

they could be wrong though but that's what it sounded like to me

Well if that's the case i'm glad we gave them a 4 goal lead and then hammered them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,450 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Was Jay Tabb on the Irish panel for a time? I seem to recall that name from a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Was Jay Tabb on the Irish panel for a time? I seem to recall that name from a few years back.

You could be thinking of Phil Babb :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Instead of going by the stopwatch he went by waiting until the chance unfolded which is really quite disgraceful - it's not a game of fifa on the PS3, you go by the clock, no way should it have gone to 96 minutes, on top of that he should have sent off Kocielny and given Reading a penalty so it's another case of the big side getting all the calls

having said all that, Reading are a woeful side defensively and are every bit as bad as the refereeing decisions, it was an exciting game with two poor quality sides, it's the Carling cup at the end of the day and neither of these sides were ever likely to win it so i think it's a lot of fuss about nothing at the end of the day
    The original 4 minutes additional time is indicative of the time lost in the 90 minutes for injuries, substitutions, stoppages for bookings, etc.

But you are forgetting that Reading made a further two substitutions during the 4 extra minutes. The ref has to allow extra time for this.

What I liked about the game, was the honesty of the players. There was no diving or play-acting like normal. Walcott and Meade stayed on their feet when they could have gone down. The ref let the play flow too which was good to see. The one criticism I have of him is his failure to send off Kosczelny. Defo a further two yellow card offences after the the first yellow.

I don't know what Chris Gunter was at for the last Arsenal goal. He's normally quite decent. Not that it made a big difference anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

FúCKING YESSSSS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Lads this year was this Capital One tie for me- all hope gone at half time- my hydrocephalus - today I've moved into my own house I bought!

In Arsene we trust!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

u21 caps, no senior call ups.

Used to play as a winger, plays centre mid now.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

cson wrote: »
    orly.jpg

Look lads we've got away with this bigtime. I'm glad we won but there is something rotten at the core that cant be cured. I really, really hope I'm wrong and I hope Saturday proves me wrong. Hon the Gunners!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

breffni666 wrote: »
    Look lads we've got away with this bigtime. I'm glad we won but there is something rotten at the core that cant be cured. I really, really hope I'm wrong and I hope Saturday proves me wrong. Hon the Gunners!!

To be fair, if morale and passion was as low as people are suggesting there is not a hope in hell a team could come back from 4-0 down to equalise.

This has to be seen for what it is, a freak game. I don't think anyone can read too much into a game that finishes 7-5.

If we put in a performance this weekend, all the talk of a major crisis will have evaporated in the space of 5 days or so.

After our first two games we were supposedly unable to score and had no hope of finishing top 4, then we put a decent few results together and suddenly there is talk of challenging for the title, then we have two ****e performances against Norwich and Schalke and we are in dire straights, I ever heard one pundit claim Everton are now a better team than us :rolleyes:.

Football is fickle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

most. ridiculous. game. ever.

you know it's been ridiculous when Chamakh scoring twice is a complete afterthought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,258 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Reading subs and stoppages. Tis a minimum of 4 minutes anyways, he can blow it up whenever he wants. Plus I find when teams Shepard the ball into the corner, as legit as it is, they tend to extend the injury time a little bit.
    Instead of going by the stopwatch he went by waiting until the chance unfolded which is really quite disgraceful - it's not a game of fifa on the PS3, you go by the clock, no way should it have gone to 96 minutes, on top of that he should have sent off Kocielny and given Reading a penalty so it's another case of the big side getting all the calls

having said all that, Reading are a woeful side defensively and are every bit as bad as the refereeing decisions, it was an exciting game with two poor quality sides, it's the Carling cup at the end of the day and neither of these sides were ever likely to win it so i think it's a lot of fuss about nothing at the end of the day
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Time wasting from a throw in the corner and Reading sub would make up most of it I'd imagine.
    30 4 the sub, 3/4 stoppages and the 4 held up was a minimum of 4!
    Refs are discouraged by FIFA from blowing for full time mid-chance, they rarely if ever blow up when a cross is coming in or a ball is in the middle of a penalty box melee.

The "At least part" of time added on is to allow the ref to add on more time if injuries subs etc happen during the original time added on.
    Its 30s extra for the one Reading sub.

Time should have been up before Arsenal got the ball into Readings half so it wasnt mid chance. If the you are saying the ref added on an extra minute for time wasting then no PL game would ever end. Reading took how long on that throw in, 20s?

Extending the time because Reading held the ball in the corner? Are you serious?

Advertisement