Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Explain this to me like Im a 5 year old

• 30-10-2012 8:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭

I received a beautiful, glossy dog licence reminder into my home today. I thought this a little wasteful as Im not a dog owner but thought 'meh' , how are they to know what homes have a dog. On arriving into work this evening, the least likely business to have a dog that you can think of, I found one of these had arrived and had also been delivered to the business premises either side of my work. I have become mildly obsessed with this and with a little digging it turns out that one of these was delivered to pretty much every letter box in the county.
    So here is what i need explained:
    My County Council is, soi t is claimed, strapped for cash.
    In order to get in a €20 dog licence fee they have mass produced at christ knows what expense a post card reminder which, rather than being distributed just to homes which im sure the number of chould have been estimated but into every f*ckin' letter box in the county.
    I only got a C in pass maths but that is just stupid.
    Why not just estimate the number of homes in the county and print that amount of reminders and SAVE MONEY!!!
    RANT OVER ...FOR NOW:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't understand the question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Aww look at the wee bow wow! Lookit Lookit Lookit! Bow wow! Bow wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I didn't get one if this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

They were probably produced for less than a euro each inc. postage.

If 1 in 20 pay, quite likely, it breaks even.

I see nothing wrong in them chasing up this charge to be honest....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Nothing else for it, you'll have to shoot the dog.
    If you don't have a dog then get one from your local pound, bring it home & shoot it.
    Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

OP hates dogs & wants them dead is the TLDR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

GO TO BED!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Sorry. The perils of inarticulacy and ranting.
    Would it not have been much much more cost effective to calculate the number of homes in the county and simply print and post to that number rather than print sh;it loads of these reminders and deliver them to every letter box in the county.?

Sorry. The perils of inarticulacy and ranting.
    Would it not have been much much more cost effective to calculate the number of homes in the county and simply print and post to that number rather than print sh;it loads of these reminders and deliver them to every letter box in the county.?

Are they individually addressed or are postmen just bundling it with other stuff during deliveries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I have four points on my dog licence for leaving it tied up in a loading bay.

Bastards clamped it on me the year before as well.

• Advertisement

Its not about chasing up the charge. But i know of a theatre, GAA club, hair dressers, Creche, cinema, printers, solicitors office and pub which have received these. Thats €8 euro (by your estimate) down the toilet.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Explain this to me like Im a 5 year old

Stop talking sh**e ya little bollix and go to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

My dog doesn't drive a car. He doesn't need a license. Silly government proposals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If ten out of twenty actually have a dog and one or two of these pay twenty euros I doubt they'll make much.

Are they individually addressed or are postmen just bundling it with other stuff during deliveries?
    The ones to homes are but the ones to businessesses (!) are not.
    So they knew their target group but then decided to target barbers, cinemas, theatres and such. Short of cash me hole!

dlofnep wrote: »
    My dog doesn't drive a car. He doesn't need a license. Silly government proposals.

I used to think that too until my dog bolted out the front door and was picked up by the warden. Lucky I didn't end up in court for not having a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I bought a new dog once off the local blacksmiths, first thing he did was make a bolt for the back door...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

I bought a new dog once off the local blacksmiths, first thing he did was make a bolt for the back door...
    did he also make a swing for your bollox?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

For a second I thought you said your workplace had a dog delivered to it.

I thought that would be great. I'd LOVE to have a dog or a cat pottering about the office. You could train it to fetch documents from the printer etc (the dog that is, we all know cats are uppity pricks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I hear Enda Kenny is planning a cat license..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I get them but I have dogs, I've never heard of any non dog owners getting them. Maybe it's some sort of weird elaborate scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

For a second I thought you said your workplace had a dog delivered to it.

I thought that would be great. I'd LOVE to have a dog or a cat pottering about the office. You could train it to fetch documents from the printer etc (the dog that is, we all know cats are uppity pricks)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Thanks for reminding me lads - the NCT is up on mine ext week. (National Canine Test)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

thats ruff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

This whole thread reminds me of that scene in Margin Call where Jeremy Irons asks the young analyst to explain his findings "to me like i'm a golden retriever".

Anyways, as you were

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

The common sense thing to do would be to get two dogs, one to offset the price of each flyer, that way you are helping the council save money

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Do people actually pay this unbelievable rip off charge?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    Nope. Which makes it all the more laughable.
    I did own a dog a few years back and tried to buy a licence but The Post Office never had them in stock (lack of demand perhaps:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

thats ruff.

Brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Nope. Which makes it all the more laughable.
    I did own a dog a few years back and tried to buy a licence but The Post Office never had them in stock (lack of demand perhaps:rolleyes:)

That's what I thought, cheers.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

The least likely business to own a dog i can think of is...... postman's retirement home. Any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

They send them out to every letterbox in the county, then if u pay up because u have a dog well u obviously have a house and then BAM...household charge!!! Sly feckers.

I'd actually love to see a national statistic on how many dogs are licensed in Ireland, I can't imagine anyone ever paying it. I'd say there's about 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I have a pretty mean Otter at home, I might need a licence for him (one of those double o kinds)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bohboh

Dont pay the dog licence is what I say, They have no way to track it, If one those wardens stop you (not likely) just tell them your names Jimmy Saville and you live in Huntown or you got the dog last week and say' of course I have a dog licence' in very confident semi insulted way haha. If I have to pay the house tax im paying the dog licence too anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

My tuppence:

your "strapped" council is blowing money on unneccessary things to overinflate its budget, so when it comes to asking the Gubbermint for more money it'll justify itself because of these public information essentials.

I could word it better to make more sense to a 5 year old golden retriever but I'm tired. Hopefully the jist is there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

My golden labrador died on Sat at 13 years of age. We never had a license for her and in her entire 13 years with us she proved to be literally incapable of random aggression. The only time she ever got angry was if she was set upon or one of us was.

Having a blanket dog license requirement for all dogs is absolutely ridiculous and is another example of the Irish government half arsing the concept of 'regulation' DANGEROUS dog breeds should require licenses, and that's it. But that would involve actually being organized, which Irish administration seems to be as incapable of as my dog was of violence.

Hell, you can apply the same criteria to so many things in this country. Fireworks? Blanket ban. Head shops? Blanket ban. Phone hacking scandal? Government proposes a blanket ban on being able to access voicemails remotely.
    Etc etc etc. God forbid they have to actually put in some effort at efficient regulation...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

JRant wrote: »
    The leaflets are free, but you must licence your dog(s) or bitch(es).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Does anybody actually ever buy a licence for their dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

You got a C in Maths. Your argument is invalid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Does anybody actually ever buy a licence for their dog?

A couple of years ago I saw a woman ask for one in the post office,the guy behind the counter looked surprised and bemused,so I would say it's probably a rare event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Sky King wrote: »
    I have four points on my dog licence for leaving it tied up in a loading bay.

Bastards clamped it on me the year before as well.

Is this your dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I don't have a dog but I do have a license for one. Every evening at the sane time I stand at my front door shouting 'Com'ere boy, Scamp scaaaaaamp, Scaaaaaamp, com'on' then mutter 'stupid dog' before slamming the front door. No one will ever know, ha ha ha, stupid dog warden...won't catch me out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol @ €1 estimate per letter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Woof woof, woof woof woof. Grrrrr, woof woof grrrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

A guy in the pub told me you don't need a dog licence if you've got Saorview. So that should sort out your problem Op.

Advertisement