Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ricero wrote: »
    what was lucas thinking when he created jar jar binks :confused:

You mean apart from the merchandise tie-ins? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

ricero wrote: »
    what was lucas thinking when he created jar jar binks :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Any chance of a new trailer Disney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

robdonn wrote: »
    Yoda: "Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice."

I remember thinking that really shouldn't be news to Windu....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

sky88 wrote: »
    The lesser of two evils for me and it has nothing to do with how daniels seems as a person which is horrible. have always hated c3po since i was a kid

In fairness Threepio had some genuinely great lines and moments in A New Hope and ESB. Some of the back and forth stuff between him and Artoo, and him and Han was funny...which is a word I would never ever use in the same sentence as Jar Jar Binks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I have been thinking about the potential twists and central storyline to The Force Awakens. So, I am going to put down my theory here with spoiler tags.
    When the cast was announced for The Force Awakens a lot of media approached Billy Dee Williams as to why he wasn't included or if he was even asked to join. He said he hadn't been approached. However, I vaguely remember Kathleen Kennedy or someone at LucasFilm saying that there was room for Billy Dee Williams to join possibly in a later film. This coupled with the lack of surnames for Daisy Ridley and John Boyega's characters has me thinking something. I believe the image of Finn with the lightsaber is a double take to catch audiences off the mark. I think Finn is Leia's son and I also think Rey is Leia's daughter.

My guess is that Leia and Han haven't spoken in a very long time possibly due to her having had an affair with Lando at some point, thus producing Finn as a son. This may have happened after Han and Leia separated or perhaps was the cause of the separation. But Rey is the offspring of Han and Leia. I'll come back to this point, but first I want to tackle the subtitle of the film: The Force Awakens.

I would guess that Luke has made himself a hermit not for the sake of honouring Obi-Wan or Yoda, or because that is what he thinks Jedi should do, but because he knows with the light side of the force there has to be a counter-point - i.e the dark side. For as long as the Jedi exist, so must the Sith. He hides himself away from the galaxy, invoking the idea of a forgotten order (as Tarkin describes in a New Hope) living out his days hoping to go unnoticed and not provoke the counter-point from rising. The famous line from The Wire comes to mind: "You can not lose if you do not play". However, as Luke becomes aware of his sister's pregnancies he expects them to be force sensitive and on his advice recommends the children are sent away from her to stay elsewhere, much how Obi-Wan did with him as a baby. Again, this is not out of duty or preparation to bring them up as Jedi when the time is ready, but in the hope that they don't realise their ability and re-awaken a force conflict. Don't forget, Luke only became aware of the force after Obi-Wan told him. If he had never received that information he may have lived a very simple life. Leia trusts Luke and this is evident in Return of the Jedi when he explains he must face Vader again and she unwillingly accepts this, and it proved to be the right course of action. This maybe the reason for Han leaving Leia too.

My reasoning for this theory comes from a number of points made by Abrams, Kennedy, and Disney. This film will follow the Skywalker storyline, and it will also mirror the old trilogy. Finn and Rey are step-siblings, and Lando is not in Force Awakens because he is away looking for his son. Finn is force-sensitive but he won't learn that in this movie, it will be Rey until a later time when the reveal that they share the same mother comes about - again, a similar parallel to Luke and Leia. When this realisation is made, he will return in Episode VIII, as was hinted at by Kennedy through her response on Billy Dee Williams' absence in Force Awakens. Through Finn and Rey, Luke will come to realise that the Force can not be avoided or wished into the background so as to avoid the rise of evil. The awakening has two sides: Luke's realisation and therefore his return from self-inflicted exile to train Rey and Finn or run the risk of them falling to the darkside, and, of course, the return of those aware of the force.

Obviously, this could be 100% wrong and probably is, but it is possible. For me, it would make an interesting movie if this was the path. I guess we will have to wait until December to find out! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Domhnall Gleeson seems to have doubts over the film. I hope this is more of an attempt to contain the hype than an actual review of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Falthyron wrote: »
    Domhnall Gleeson seems to have doubts over the film. I hope this is more of an attempt to contain the hype than an actual review of the film.

Fair play to him. I think its been far too over hyped with a lot of the hard core fans expecting it to surpass the originals. I think it will be good but its destined for disappointment as it won't live up to the massive hype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

great !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

py2006 wrote: »
    Fair play to him. I think its been far too over hyped with a lot of the hard core fans expecting it to surpass the originals. I think it will be good but its destined for disappointment as it won't live up to the massive hype.

It doesn't have to be the greatest trilogy ever, but three more good Star Wars movies to redeem the damage done to the franchise's reputation would be good.

Falthyron wrote: »

I think he's clearly saying 'Look, there are people who will not like this film no matter how good it actually is' and of course he's right. Even if it turns out to be a universally well received film, someone somewhere will start up a website called 500reasonswhyabramsgotitwrong.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

karaokeman wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be the greatest trilogy ever, but three more good Star Wars movies to redeem the damage done to the franchise's reputation would be good.

The Clone Wars TV show redeemed the franchise's reputation is most peoples eyes mine included.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

karaokeman wrote: »

Even though the prequels were rubbish, they made a ton of money, so lots of people saw them at the cinema. Episode 1 is only beaten at the box office by the original movie. 2 and 3 are some distance behind as people like me dropped away, but they were still huge hits.

To me, that means the new movies will be monster hits even if they are just OK.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    The Clone Wars TV show redeemed the franchise's reputation is most peoples eyes mine included.

Most people who saw them I'd say. Which is nowhere near the amount of people that saw the prequels.

There is much damage yet to be repaired

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I've never seen clone wars. I take it they're good then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Red King wrote: »
    There is much damage yet to be repaired

From a box office perspective there is no damage to be repaired. Even the biggest doubters will go to give it a chance.

If this film doesn't deliver then Star Wars is in deep ****.

I have faith though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

david75 wrote: »
    I've never seen clone wars. I take it they're good then?

Yep. Clone wars is really good.

When they stopped it cos Rebels was coming out, I thought it they made a mistake..

but..

Rebels has grown on me so far. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

New trailer is out next week.

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I think I'm gonna try and avoid it. Worried it will give too much away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Roar wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna try and avoid it. Worried it will give too much away

^^ The force is strong with this one. I seriously doubt I have the capacity to avoid a new trailer :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Myrddin wrote: »
    ^^ The force is strong with this one.

His father has it, he has it... I havent met his sister yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Will paddy power take a bet on the fact that we will get a shot of Luke in this trailer. Tenner each way on whether he's hooded and taking a lightsaber and then looking into the distance with a thousand force stare

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

J Mysterio wrote: »
    His father has it, he has it... I havent met his sister yet ;)

The Force is strong in my family. I have it. My father has it. My four sisters have it.

But to be honest, it's no match for a good blaster by your side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

What is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

a1297b7eca737e9d28a181675aee6dbe289f2fc3a26c58dc163154c4c3cd0c4c.jpg

Advertisement