Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Cineworld a bit of a disaster this morning. Very vague on their facebook page about when the tickets would be for sale online. So **** tonnes of us hammering F5 all morning it seems. Got great seats myself for the IMAX midnight showing so im delighted. Should of been handled better by cineworld though

That's nothing. I have been trying to book tickets at the BFI IMAX all morning and their online system is not functioning at all. A lot of anger on their Facebook page. Twice I got as far as the enter payment details page only to be rejected and kicked back due to no response from the cinema/server. I gave up on my chances there and went with the Empire IMAX on Leicester Square. Apparently they have just installed some new technology and it will be a marked improvement over the digital projector at the BFI IMAX. Flying over Friday evening and I have two tickets for the 22.15 showing on the Saturday! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The crushing disappointment of the following morning will only be part of the fun ;)

it'll be as as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced*...

*I actually don't think so, I too remain confident this will surpass expectations with forgiveable flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Falthyron wrote: »
    That's nothing. I have been trying to book tickets at the BFI IMAX all morning and their online system is not functioning at all. A lot of anger on their Facebook page. Twice I got as far as the enter payment details page only to be rejected and kicked back due to no response from the cinema/server. I gave up on my chances there and went with the Empire IMAX on Leicester Square. Apparently they have just installed some new technology and it will be a marked improvement over the digital projector at the BFI IMAX. Flying over Friday evening and I have two tickets for the 22.15 showing on the Saturday! :D

You're flying to London to watch the film?

Jasus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

The crushing disappointment of the following morning will only be part of the fun ;)

The Phantom Menace feeling.

Hopefully that does not happen again.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    You're flying to London to watch the film?

Jasus :D

Ssssssssshhh! Say nothing! Bringing the girlfriend on a Christmas trip to London for shopping and sights, etc. At least that is what she thinks is the purpose of the trip! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I see the Lighthouse sold out all four screens in around an hour (would have been shorter but they didn't have all the screens available at once), crazy stuff. Thankfully they've reserved three of them for 2D screenings. Still hoping there'll be some sort of 35mm release, although doesn't seem to have been many rumblings along those lines sadly.

I have been researching the various formats on offer for the new film. It would seem there is a rare 2D 15/70 IMAX print available in a select few screens around the world - I think Disney have made 20 copies of this format. In case someone on here is willing to go in search of, possibly, the best format to see the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Lighthouse and Cineworld already sold out for 3d, anyone know if Rathmines, Vue or Odeon Point village are likely to have midnight showings.

I think I'll be hanging back a week or two post-release to see this, be time to bow out of the thread soon.

B2c_U25CEAEVFDB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Is the general consensus to go 2D or 3D for this one. Just moved to Galway - does anyone know if the Eye Luxury screen the best to go see this our west? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Myrddin wrote: »
    I think I'll be hanging back a week or two post-release to see this, be time to bow out of the thread soon.

If you're hoping for an empty-ish cinema, then you may want to wait a bit more, I'd say that the die hards will be packing them out for weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well since we're still two months from release, there's no actual word on that, but I'd be 99.99% (allowing for a 0.01% margin of error) certain 2D is the way to go. It's post converted, and would be such a shame to ruin the seemingly lovely 35mm cinematography with shades :cool:

I should note that I do not recommend 3D for any film that isn't Goodbye to Language (and maybe Life of Pi), so your mileage may vary depending on your fondness for 3D technology. But in this particular case, there seems to be little suggestion that the 3D is anything other than an afterthought, at odds with the technology being used to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Liffey Valley Vue showings are all over the shop, no doubt due to the impending reopening with the extension, so the screen numbers don't quite match up with what it was in the past.
    For example....Screen 2 looks to be a small effort, whereas it was previously a large screen. Layout of Screens 3 looks different so may be in a new section. Screen 1 seems to only be showing 3D, whereas the old Screen 2 was primarily the 3D option.
    Perhaps someone familiar with the upcoming layout can shed some more light, as the current detail on their website is not going to be valid it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

CatInABox wrote: »
    If you're hoping for an empty-ish cinema, then you may want to wait a bit more, I'd say that the die hards will be packing them out for weeks.

Indeed :( I'm so tuned in now to bad cinema etiquette that I really don't bother going much these days. A midweek 10am screening or something is what I'll be targeting. Of all the films, I don't want my experience of this one ruined by some complete clown only going to see it with a bunch of noisy mates for something to do/kill time.
    Well since we're still two months from release, there's no actual word on that, but I'd be 99.99% (allowing for a 0.01% margin of error) certain 2D is the way to go. It's post converted, and would be such a shame to ruin the seemingly lovely 35mm cinematography with shades :cool:

I should note that I do not recommend 3D for any film that isn't Goodbye to Language (and maybe Life of Pi), so your mileage may vary depending on your fondness for 3D technology. But in this particular case, there seems to be little suggestion that the 3D is anything other than an afterthought, at odds with the technology being used to make it.

+1

The only film where 3D blew me away was Avatar, the rest I've seen it has really been a tacked on gimmick. My rule of thumb is post-conversion = 2D every time. If it's shot in 3D, maybe, only maybe I'd consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The only film where 3D blew me away was Avatar, the rest I've seen it has really been a tacked on gimmick. My rule of thumb is post-conversion = 2D every time. If it's shot in 3D, maybe, only maybe I'd consider it.

Ditto.

Indeed :( I'm so tuned in now to bad cinema etiquette that I really don't bother going much these days. A midweek 10am screening or something is what I'll be targeting. Of all the films, I don't want my experience of this one ruined by some complete clown only going to see it with a bunch of noiseyl mates for something to do/kill time.

I hear ya, my last few cinematic experiences have been ruined by ill mannered teens and/or obnoxious skangers shouting and using their phones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

8998F7F6-5A33-40EB-A141-04AA18E3C0AF.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

2D tickets booked in Limerick for me and the young fella. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Top left with the mask on..

No.

And that "Death Star" is called the Starkiller. It is a weapon built into an actual planet.

• Advertisement

Red King wrote: »
    No.

And that "Death Star" is called the Starkiller. It is a weapon built into an actual planet.

How do know that he isn't Luke? Luke may have gone (temporarily) to the darkside!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

py2006 wrote: »
    How do know that he isn't Luke? Luke may have gone (temporarily) to the darkside!! :(

His name is Kylo Ren and he is played by Adam Driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Tickets booked for the 8.05 showing on the Thursday in Savoy screen 1. It's in 2D Galactic, which is most appropriate for a Star Wars flm! And Savoy screen 1 is as good as it gets for atmosphere and general viewing experience.

I hope I'm not tempting fate but no kids, no skangers, just people going out to enjoy a good film. Really excited for the film now that I have tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Red King wrote: »
    His name is Kylo Ren and he is played by Adam Driver.

Also, this is John Harrison:

60b61790f89294724937d7d20b22b12e.jpg

And Khan wasn't in Star Trek Into Darkness at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭bkrangle

booked into the 19:30 2D showing in cineworld on the 17th.........can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

booked into the 00.01 2D showing in Odeon on the 17th.........can't wait!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

McDermotX wrote: »
    Liffey Valley Vue showings are all over the shop, no doubt due to the impending reopening with the extension, so the screen numbers don't quite match up with what it was in the past.
    For example....Screen 2 looks to be a small effort, whereas it was previously a large screen. Layout of Screens 3 looks different so may be in a new section. Screen 1 seems to only be showing 3D, whereas the old Screen 2 was primarily the 3D option.
    Perhaps someone familiar with the upcoming layout can shed some more light, as the current detail on their website is not going to be valid it seems.

I'd be wary of booking 2D screenings in Vue until the results of the revamp are clear. They don't/can't remove the 3D filter for 2D films shown in 3D screens.

Interestingly, in the list of characters for this movie on the main Star Wars site does not include Skywalker

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Booked 2 tickets at the Savoy for the 8:05 showing on the Thursday!

The savoy screen 1 is the only real option, especially when the opening credits burst on screen!

• Advertisement

What is 2D Galatic screen in the Savoy??

Advertisement