Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I thought it a choppy, messy trailer to be honest, and there's something very ... wrong, false even about watching the Star Wars universe with all those more modern pans & compositions; to me Star Wars is about classical filmmaking, with classic compositions. :D

To be honest, I still think this film is destined to underwhelm: not because I think it's going to suck. I don't: I believe Abrahms will produce a thrilling, entertaining movie with a strong emotional heartbeat - it's what he does and does best & is why he's so highly thought of. But 'grand' isn't going to cut it for those putting all their fandom into this film, or expecting a panacea to wash away the stain of the prequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Falthyron wrote: »
    I can appreciate the precise tactics and perfected formulae for routines, but rugby is superior and rugby players are real athletes.

Rugby isn't close to being the game American Football is, on pretty much any level. That said, I'm sorry for anyone who had watch that horrible game last night as their first introduction to the game.

Anyway.... wasn't a big fan of the trailer. I was much more hyped from the two teasers but perhaps that is a good thing. I like that he hasn't given a lot of the plot away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Why are you reading a thread about the film if your so touchy about spoilers?

Are you taking the mickey or what? Up until the last few pages if anyone was posting spoilery info they used the spoiler tag. So far so normal. Then the poster appeared with no Luke and suddenly it was just 'ah to hell with spoiler tags, this is why he's not in it, etc'.

There's absolutely no reason why I shouldn't be able to read and enjoy this thread without seeing giveaway info about characters and plot, even if it's just speculation. It's standard practice to put it in spoiler tags. When the film comes out then it's fair game. It's a very simple concept and most people get it but some people clearly don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Loved the trailer. Thought it was epic. I agre the follow-can dog fights don't have that Star Wars feel but I think at its heart it has a very Star Wars fantasy/adventure core and if it concentrates on that then the other stuff will fall in place.

The music composed for the trailer is absolutely perfect. Really looking forward to it now. Kylo ren looks brilliant IMO. Comes across as unstable and dangerous

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

pixelburp wrote: »
    I thought it a choppy, messy trailer to be honest, and there's something very ... wrong, false even about watching the Star Wars universe with all those more modern pans & compositions; to me Star Wars is about classical filmmaking, with classic compositions. :D

So far I think we've seen a strong mix of both styles, TBH. The Rey stuff seems sombre and majestic, heavily reliant on lingering, haunting shots even on the basis of these short trailers. Whereas the more action-packed material seems to embrace Abram's more kinetic style of direction, which he is extremely good at. If he manages to find a nice balance between the two, then we could very much have the best of both worlds.
    To be honest, I still think this film is destined to underwhelm: not because I think it's going to suck. I don't: I believe Abrahms will produce a thrilling, entertaining movie with a strong emotional heartbeat - it's what he does and does best & is why he's so highly thought of. But 'grand' isn't going to cut it for those putting all their fandom into this film, or expecting a panacea to wash away the stain of the prequels.

If Star Wars fans are expecting anything better, than they're only fooling themselves as far as I'm concerned! Divorced from the nostalgia and pop culture pantheon, the Star Wars films are simply rousing serials - memorable ones, but proud Saturday matinee fare nonetheless. If people are genuinely expecting earth-shattering, paradigm-shifting pieces of even blockbuster filmmaking (which naturally some will be, because y'know Star Wars fans), well that's their own damn fault, and there's nothing Abrams, Johnson and certainly Trevorrow can do about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Are you taking the mickey or what? Up until the last few pages if anyone was posting spoilery info they used the spoiler tag. So far so normal. Then the poster appeared with no Luke and suddenly it was just 'ah to hell with spoiler tags, this is why he's not in it, etc'.

There's absolutely no reason why I shouldn't be able to read and enjoy this thread without seeing giveaway info about characters and plot, even if it's just speculation. It's standard practice to put it in spoiler tags. When the film comes out then it's fair game. It's a very simple concept and most people get it but some people clearly don't.

Speculation =/= spoiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Its hardly a spoiler if its mere speculation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: While I'd very much agree general speculation is not the same as a spoiler (and if you're that sensitive about speculation then I'd almost recommend you avoid the thread from here on out just in case!), I would ask people to take those concerns on board and consider using spoiler tags. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Booked my tickets for midnight showing in point village. This is what the cinema big screen was invented for!

Feel like a kid again, can't wait to see it... Again and again over Christmas with the children!

py2006 wrote: »
    Its hardly a spoiler if its mere speculation

But these days it's all very informed speculation, and it's usually bang on in the end.

Just an idea but seeing as this thread will be hugely popular over the next couple of months and to avoid any unwanted surprises, maybe it would be better to split it and have one spoiler free and the other a free for all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

It looks great. I grew up watching Star Wards at christmas and seeing ROTJ in Savoy 1 way back then. I thought the prequels weren't great and from what I recall when seeing those I wasn't all that bothered. I saw the re-releases of the original Trilogy several times when they came back out and enjoyed them thoroughly (especially Ep IV and V). I can relate more to the Force Awakens as Solo, Chewy and the Millenium Falcon are there and they appear to play a decent part in it. I think Luke will appear more in the 2nd and 3rd installments.

I shall definitely be seeing this two or three times over the festive season. I even managed to get my two young boys excited about it... I cannot wait.

Just an idea but seeing as this thread will be hugely popular over the next couple of months and to avoid any unwanted surprises, maybe it would be better to split it and have one spoiler free and the other a free for all?

No need, because frankly there's not really a whole lot to talk about at the moment to justify a separate thread. Maybe at release, but for now it's all just speculation.

Have asked people to be considerate, but as said if you're eager to avoid any sort of speculation whatsoever the only real option is to resist clicking into Star Wars related content for the next two months ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I love this trailer and am so excited for the release. There's something special about somebody of my age being able to be made feel excitement like they are 10 years old again.

Personally, I love the updated look of the cinematography, effects etc. Star Wars as the universe that it is - that's what I love about it. Good, evil, space, space ships, lasers, different races etc. The visuals of the old films, while great and still exciting, are not the main things that make Star Wars great to me. The universe is first and the delivery is second.

That said, I find the newer style visuals exciting and love what JJ Abrams did with Star Trek - there's an amazing feel to the film. I can't wait to sit in a cinema and see this the whole of Star Wars fleshed out and made real like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Trailer looks awesome. It's so restrained in what it shows but at the same time giving a good sense of the state of the galaxy decades after the rebellion defeated the Empire. The war still rages but the Force and the heroics of Luke, Han & Leia have slipped into legend. Really exciting place to the set movie (and very similar to A New Hope really).

Also, the Tie-Figher vs X-Wing battles are going to be awesome.

Daisy Ridley's friend filmed her watching the new trailer:

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Total goosebumps when Han says "the jedi they're real"!

Kylo Rens mask also looks awesome, along with his voice it has nice low end tone to it!

Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Total goosebumps when Han says "the jedi they're real"!

A big difference from his time in A New Hope: 'I don't believe in magic, a lot of superstitious hocus pocus' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Good God, you can't beat that Williams' score.

It's definitely underwhelming but in this case that's actually a good thing. It barely touches on the story, as opposed to those trailers which are basically the movie in three minutes. It lets us know that there's something going on, there's something happening and if we want to know what it is then we have to go and see the film. Job done.

One thing I've noticed over the trailers is that there doesn't seem to be much action in space. We get to see the Falcon going through hyperspace but that seems to be it. Maybe they're keeping it all for the film. But the locations look fantastic. They look real and believable, and not like something from a computer game.

I'm trying not to get carried away but the signs so far are very promising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭RickDeckard

Aaaa,Dinkle obwegadada,

40 year old man child crying here again, the emotions these trailers a stirring are scary..

God I cant handle another phantom menace , but this feel so right...

• Advertisement

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Good God, you can't beat that Williams' score.

Hairs standing up on the back your neck type stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not entirely Episode VII but the trailer for the Battlefront game got me almost as much as the new Ep VII one.

Just watching some of the fan reactions on Youtube, it seems like almost everybody was waiting for a Han and Chewie type surprise at the end.

As much as people are mentioning the lack of Luke in the trailers, nobody seems to be mentioning the lack of C3PO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

py2006 wrote: »
    As much as people are mentioning the lack of Luke in the trailers, nobody seems to be mentioning the lack of C3PO!!!

I did think it, but he is in the poster.

I get the feeling that C3PO and R2 are going to be somewhat sidelined for BB-8.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Obligatory lens flare in one scene.Awesome trailer,enough to whet the appetite but not too much to ruin the movie by giving stuff away.

BTW,I wonder if any of it is set on the planet where Obi Wan fought Anakin? I saw a kids sticker book of the movie this morning with scenes from the movie as backgrounds and one looked an awful lot like that planet.

zerks wrote: »
    Obligatory lens flare in one scene.Awesome trailer,enough to whet the appetite but not too much to ruin the movie by giving stuff away.

BTW,I wonder if any of it is set on the planet where Obi Wan fought Anakin? I saw a kids sticker book of the movie this morning with scenes from the movie as backgrounds and one looked an awful lot like that planet.

Yeah, they look similar but the planet shown in The Force Awakens is Sullust; volcanic, but not as extreme as Mustafar - the planet in Episode 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

quad_red wrote: »
    You don't actually believe that, do you? There is no way they're going to stop. The hype train is just starting.

Really enjoyed the trailer. A further reinforcement of Abhram's rejection of the green screen vibe that defined episode 1 to 3 (Storm Troopers fighting it out in a castle by a lake!!).

But this is my final trailer. Any longer ones stop being trailers and become plot summaries.

Well it is true. JJ said it himself, one trailer and that is it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

So how does this work? We all know Abrams has a certain style but the director of the next film, are all three films already written? I'm not familiar with the next directors work I don't think, and that's maybe a moot point as we don't know what the story is about really or where it has to go..will it be a ramp up in tension within character storylines & excitement via more and bigger battles etc?

So many questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ticket sites crashing due to demand.

2D936FD300000578-3280234-image-a-5_1445313976846.jpg

Advertisement