Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Love the subtle approach, hate when films are overhyped, always leads to disappointment. Last Indiana Jones anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Last Crusade was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Love the subtle approach, hate when films are overhyped, always leads to disappointment. Last Indiana Jones anyone?

Yeah, what are you talking about? The last Indy film was great! Sean Connery was perfect as Henry Jones Senior! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Falthyron wrote: »
    Yeah, what are you talking about? The last Indy film was great! Sean Connery was perfect as Henry Jones Senior! :pac:

Was called, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Was called, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal FFS.

Nah, you've made that up. I'd have heard of it.

Anyway, Star Wars....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Planning on heading to Dublin to see this in IMAX.
    Just wondering will there be a 2D option? Can't stand 3D.

There'll be 2D showings but probably not in the IMAX unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

The trailer certainly looks promising, but then again, so did the trailer for the Phantom Menace. In fairness though, like the original trilogy, the new movie seems to have a simple enough story, bad guys want to finish job Vader and co started, good guys want to stop them. That's what Star Wars should be.

The aesthetics look good and while the composition of the shots are as you would expect from JJ Abrams, some are direct riffs from the original movies, like that maneuver the Millenium Falcon makes while chased by TIE fighters which is an exact copy of the one in The Empire Strikes Back during the asteroid chase, it even has the same piece of music.

The part where Han Solo tells Rey yes these things actually happened, as well as the earlier ' Chewie we're home' is a less than subtle reassertion of the Original movies primacy. Add to that Kylo saying they'll finish what Vader started.

There was a lot of hullabaloo over the scrapping of the EU, these trailers also seem to be saying, they're going as close as they can to scrapping the prequels from the canon as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah one thing that's a tad annoying is the lack of originality in terms of the key points. From what I can tell so far anyway.

Desert planet, check.
    Lonely kid that has some sort of connection to the force, check.
    Giant planet destroyer, check.
    Old emperor type character, check.
    Masked commander type character, check.

So, a lot of history repeating itself... However, that's just my limited exposure to what they've released. In fairness there are some pretty interesting rumors going about and Finn's character seems really complex. I'm guessing by the latest dialogue in the trailer that he IS actually a
    stormtrooper
    ? That's pretty cool if so, leads to some interesting, slightly complex moral compassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

david75 wrote: »
    What if kylo ren and Rey are twins, Han and leias kids, somehow they thought lost, Ren figures out his grandfather was Vader and becomes obsessed and starts the first order, taking loads of divisions of troops from his mothers army(she'd be a commander of some sort of leader of the resistance) to try to re-establish the empire in his grandfathers image and Han and leia are heartbroken cos they find out its him and what he's doing and Luke is the only one that can stop him so they set out to find him?

That would be top drawer film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

What will be the best screen to see it in Dublin city for 2d? Odeon, cineworld or savoy?

I presume the big screens in odeon and cineworld are gonna be 3d?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Local cinema here in California is showing the film in 70mm IMAX! Tickets are reselling in eBay for nearly $10,000! Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Riddle101

How much are the tickets for the midnight screening. I mean are they dearer than a regular ticket or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Riddle101 wrote: »
    How much are the tickets for the midnight screening. I mean are they dearer than a regular ticket or something?

It got premier seats in the odeon point for 13 odd.. First time going to that cinema, so don't know if that's the normal price.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Does Chewie die?

2D93E78000000578-3280234-image-a-7_1445319883724.jpg

I reckon that's clearly chewie. Black nose. Hairy chest, his customary bandolier...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I got ticket for the 17th but from advertising ive seen the release date is the 18th. What gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Stab*City wrote: »
    I got ticket for the 17th but from advertising ive seen the release date is the 18th. What gives?

That's the US release date, we're getting it a day earlier here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Roar wrote: »

Well that clears that up! Thanks Roar!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Roar wrote: »

That is bizarre and wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I reckon that's clearly chewie. Black nose. Hairy chest, his customary bandolier...

or it could be
    Hans leather jacket on the left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

py2006 wrote: »
    or it could be
    Looks like Finn's brown jacket

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Got my Royal Mail first day cover stamps. They're cool. They come as an envelope and have rebel alliance insignia along one and empires insignia along the other. Not long now :)

5C1B2C9B-6BDA-4CC0-A187-4BE7EEDB8554.jpg

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Looks like Finn's brown jacket

True

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

py2006 wrote: »
    or it could be

Or it could be a massive curveball as well, and nobody actually dies...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

2DA056B800000578-3281767-image-a-1_1445422557045.jpg

2DA056C000000578-3281767-image-a-2_1445422923381.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So one of the lads in the office (big fan) reckons that the guy in the mask (Kylo Ren)
    is really Luke, and that's why he's not on the posters/in the trailers (save for the shot with R2) and fits in with the "continuing what you (his father) started". Also why Han and Leia get involved.

Me I think it's too obvious though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

OK there's two lines in that trailer that really bother me:

“There was stories about what happened.”

“It’s true. All of it. The dark side, the Jedi, they’re real.”

Really? A mere 60 or so years after the events of Revenge of the Sith and 30 after Return of the Jedi it would appear that the Jedi have lapsed into myth and tall tales? That, in a highly technological society is just 'effin stupid. Doesn't the Galactic History Channel run endless 'Clone Wars' documentaries, don't the Sith have a Wikipedia entry? Sure, I suppose it's possible that some form of futuristic social media has turned everybody into complete morons, but I can't see it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

conorhal wrote: »
    OK there's two lines in that trailer that really bother me:

“There was stories about what happened.”

“It’s true. All of it. The dark side, the Jedi, they’re real.”

Really? A mere 60 or so years after the events of Revenge of the Sith and 30 after Return of the Jedi it would appear that the Jedi have lapsed into myth and tall tales? That, in a highly technological society is just 'effin stupid. Doesn't the Galactic History Channel run endless 'Clone Wars' documentaries, don't the Sith have a Wikipedia entry? Sure, I suppose it's possible that some form of futuristic social media has turned everybody into complete morons, but I can't see it.

This was a problem with the OT as well and it’s easily fanwanked. The Empire probably destroyed most the records from the Republic. While everything that happened between Luke, Vader and Palpatine in the OT wouldn’t be common knowledge if Luke decided not tell it.

Holy sexballs...

Turn speakers up and I guarantee you this will get you more excited than the official trailer...

https://vimeo.com/143044228

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

This was a problem with the OT as well and it’s easily fanwanked. .

I genuinely lolled at this randomly on the street

Advertisement