Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

This was a problem with the OT as well and it’s easily fanwanked. The Empire probably destroyed most the records from the Republic. While everything that happened between Luke, Vader and Palpatine in the OT wouldn’t be common knowledge if Luke decided not tell it.

Plus Outer Rim planets, that Jakku might be one of. Might know flip all about what happened 30 years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

conorhal wrote: »
    OK there's two lines in that trailer that really bother me:

“There was stories about what happened.”

“It’s true. All of it. The dark side, the Jedi, they’re real.”

Really? A mere 60 or so years after the events of Revenge of the Sith and 30 after Return of the Jedi it would appear that the Jedi have lapsed into myth and tall tales? That, in a highly technological society is just 'effin stupid. Doesn't the Galactic History Channel run endless 'Clone Wars' documentaries, don't the Sith have a Wikipedia entry? Sure, I suppose it's possible that some form of futuristic social media has turned everybody into complete morons, but I can't see it.

Why would the entire galaxy know intimate details about the rise and fall of some already quasi-mythological order of monks? Who would have known Darth Vader was himself a former Jedi knight, or that some random member - a blow-in really - of the resistance, itself spanning planets and systems, was a practitioner & expert in the Force? 30 years on and with the Emperor dead (also an unknown member of the Sith to the general public), who would know / care about the Force, particular living on any of the many, many 'backwater' planets?

We live in a world where the newer generations, with all the information available to us, know little about Vietnam, WW2, or didn't realise Titanic was based on real events. It's not an inconceivable scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Sure, I suppose it's possible that some form of futuristic social media has turned everybody into complete morons, but I can't see it.

Timeline is wrong so maybe the History Channel hasn't been invented yet! :pac:
    "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"

That said, yes are quite technologically advanced so it's a bit of an unlikely scenario :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

AH, ffs, the point is valid.

The force is pretty exceptional and you'd imagine anyone would be interested in it. Particularly so if it was on the wean.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Some of the imperial military were sceptical of Vader's powers in the original trilogy and the Jedi were shown to be thought of as borderline mythical too. This isn't a new thing, though considering how widespread and open the Jedi presence was in the prequels it doesn't seem plausible to an extent.

This is an issue caused by the prequels more than anything though, and the theme of it not being common knowledge is more consistent with the original films imo.

You could also argue with a lot of the action taking place on these frontier type planets the locals wouldn't exactly witness stuff like that very often and might not even believe some of it is true, you're also taking about a story that spans different star systems so what happens in the other films being seen as tall tales isn't particularly unbelievable for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

A dude on reddit edited the new IMAX poster to better fit phone screens. Have it on mine and looks awesome! :D

https://i.imgur.com/iIzvfG8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

OK there's two lines in that trailer that really bother me:

“There was stories about what happened.”

“It’s true. All of it. The dark side, the Jedi, they’re real.”

Really? A mere 60 or so years after the events of Revenge of the Sith and 30 after Return of the Jedi it would appear that the Jedi have lapsed into myth and tall tales? That, in a highly technological society is just 'effin stupid. Doesn't the Galactic History Channel run endless 'Clone Wars' documentaries, don't the Sith have a Wikipedia entry? Sure, I suppose it's possible that some form of futuristic social media has turned everybody into complete morons, but I can't see it.

Go to a Japanese school and ask the kids about World War 2... they'll look at you with blank faces. They won't know because it's not taught and, if it is at all, it's in a highly sanitised way.

The Empire destroyed the Republic and the Jedi were the champions of the Republic. I'd imagine imperial text books weren't full of the adventures of Qui Gon et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Some of the imperial military were sceptical of Vader's powers in the original trilogy and the Jedi were shown to be thought of as borderline mythical too. This isn't a new thing, though considering how widespread and open the Jedi presence was in the prequels it doesn't seem plausible to an extent.

This is an issue caused by the prequels more than anything though, and the theme of it not being common knowledge is more consistent with the original films imo.

True.

Jedi is an "ancient religion" to some and "simple tricks and nonsense" to others in the OT.

Fuck the prequels. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

That fan made trailer compilation on the last page is fvckn awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

david75 wrote: »
    That fan made trailer compilation on the last page is fvckn awesome

I will repost for those that missed it: :P

Turn speakers up and I guarantee you this will get you more excited than the official trailer...

https://vimeo.com/143044228

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

can't wait for it. Tickets booked 13.15 Dec 17th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

During the old republic the war between the sith and jedi was referred to the jedi civil war as the average person saw no real difference between the 2. We see the films from the jedi perspective but most people wouldnt have even seen a jedi. The jedi were just stories to them and very mysterious.
    Palpatine being a sith was kept as a secret and then he claimed the jedi tried to take over the republic so had to be wiped out. They dont seem to have the internet as we know it, there's archives but as we saw with Kamino they can be altered and nobody would notice.
    In the end, the jedi were a mysterious group that became terrorists and any positive mention of them would have been wiped out. There are still some instances like with Tarkin being dismissive of the force despite being involved in the military during the clone wars but well, Geroge Lucas never really cared about the timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm torn between midnight on the Maxx screen in Rathmines, and midnight in the Mezz screen (small, but epic seats) in Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So one of the lads in the office (big fan) reckons that the guy in the mask (Kylo Ren)
    is really Luke, and that's why he's not on the posters/in the trailers (save for the shot with R2) and fits in with the "continuing what you (his father) started". Also why Han and Leia get involved.

Me I think it's too obvious though.

He can't be that big of a fan if he's missed all the info that rules that theory out from the getgo. Its not 'obvious' in the slightest.
    Kylo Ren who is tall and thin is really Luke Skywalker who is played by a short and tubby 60yo Mark Hamill???
    Kylo Ren who is played by Adam Driver is actually not played by Adam Driver but by Mark Hamill??
    Luke Skywalker is not on the poster because he's only in the last 5 minutes of the film apparently. He'll play a much bigger part in the next two films and will make the cut for the posters for those.
    The question is whether Kylo Ren is one of Han and Leia's kids like it appears Rey will turn out to be

Every second post in Reddit threads for the trailer is,

"Is it just me or does anyone else think Luke Skywalker is Kylo Ren?"

"No its not just you, its the guy two posts above you, its the guy 3 posts below you, its 5000 other people in this subreddit and a million other people across the internet.......and its depressing......because you are all........idiots!!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I don't.

I think Luke Skywalker has done a Yoda and gone into meditative exile on Skellig Michael, so he can learn and understand the force.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

py2006 wrote: »

Turn speakers up and I guarantee you this will get you more excited than the official trailer...

Is it not pretty much the same? Preferred the original tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

py2006 wrote: »

ye that one is better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Bowlardo wrote: »
    That would be top drawer film
    or book :eek:

Tigger wrote: »
    or book :eek:

I wonder if I'm even nearly right..might be tricky to get it all across and set up in one film

*snip*

• Advertisement

Fck Drew!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

*snip*

Please don't quote entire articles verbatim (especially without so much as a link to the original). It's massively unfair on the original author.

Apologies. There was no link or credit available on the forum I got it from

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Worst Case Scenario...?

:p

366372.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I don't see Abrams 'mind blown' there in anyway. I don't think that clip they have gives credence to the rumour.

I thought it a possibility for a bit (Kylo = Luke) but have dismissed it now. For one, Kylo is much taller and thinner.

It's possible that Luke is a new emperor 'influencer' type figure but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

J Mysterio wrote: »
    It's possible that Luke is a new emperor 'influencer' type figure but I doubt it.

They have said that that role is Supreme Leader Snoke, Andy Serkis plays the role supposedly.

Heard his voice over on the first trailer I think.

Seems to be some amount of characters in this.

Apparently Abrams is fond of big twists but I can't see him going here really.
    Unless Luke has gone into seclusion after going to the dark side, having set up the Knights of ren initially and then regretting it and gone into hiding?

Anyone's guess really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Apparently Abrams is fond of big twists but I can't see him going here really.
    Unless Luke has gone into seclusion after going to the dark side, having set up the Knights of ren initially and then regretting it and gone into hiding?

Anyone's guess really

something similar to what i was thinking that these knights of ren group started as jedi's under luke and then grew closer to the darkside so luke has gone into hiding as he feels responsible for this new evil.

Advertisement