Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Have any broadsheets reported on this rumour?

Tbh I don't think its a good idea, especially if Vader will be on the dark side again.

"Father I turned you back before, and I will do it again" says Luke.

Sure he's iconic but we had Vader for three and half films, hasn't Disney heard the saying there's only so much milk you can get from a cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I wouldn't put much stock in these sort of rumours at this stage, but the character is dead, and the suit should be retired. As Plinkett perceptively noted, one of the core problems with the prequel trilogy was how Lucas overused the series' iconography. Vader became the focus simply because the suit and voice are iconic; lightsabers were wielded by everyone at every opportunity; Boba Fett - a cult favourite but always a minor character - was promoted to a major role; and even Obi-Wan's floating-ball training game from the first film made an appearance.

Disney should forget about Vader, forget about the Death Star, forget about storm troopers, and look for aspects of the Star Wars' universe which were introduced in the original trilogy but never fully developed. What those would be I'm not sure (I'd need to go back and watch them again) but there must be stuff there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I admire the optimism with which many people have greeted this news, but I think it's fair to say that Disney didn't spend all that money so they could do something original with Star Wars. The fact that they described Kennedy, the new head of LucasFilm, as the Star Wars "brand manager" in the press release should tell you everything you need to know about the future direction of the franchise. This is Hollywood: doing something original is a big risk when you can just dish out more or the same and still rake it in.

Having said that, I'm sure the first film will be good. It has to be. But after that I expect the series to follow the pattern of the Bond movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah i definitly call BS on the Vader story, As for somone else wearing the suit...No...just no , That would **** all over the originals again and proof that they were too lazy to come up with a new evil, Like i know theres the rule of 2 and all that but there is definitly more Sith left after Vader and Palpatine, also the empire isn't all gone just because the deathstar blew up , Vaders Galactic Empire is spread across....the Galaxy so im sure they could continue the rebel war with Luke trying to start up the JEdi Order again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Is there a Vader clone in the expanded universe? Or am I confusing him with Palpatine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

I'd much rather they brought back Darth Maul, killing him off that early was a total waste of a character. Hell I'd even settle for Darth Maul's more evil twin to come back & avenge his death.

I like Star Wars the way it is, they don't need to turn it into Dragonball Z, no one needs to be brought back from the grave.

The whole point of the sequel trilogy should be for Luke to form a new Jedi order, and (more than likely) a new sith order to rise from the ashes of the old Empire that are still spread across the galaxy. If anyone old was resurrected it would just spoil that, they should definitely show more of Anakin as a force ghost, but most definitely not Vader.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I can see Vader in it somehow. As a ghost, as a dream, something. He is iconic and he is money. But to actually resurrect him would be to tarnish the whole point of the previous six films.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Resurrecting Vader would be unthinkable. It would kill the franchise. It would be like bringing back the Alien for yet one more film, or showing Indiana Jones in his sixties still doing his stuff, or having a female Terminator that could inflate it's boobs, or....oh, wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Is it possible to make a new trilogy that exists in the same universe and is consistent with the old stuff without just aping it?

As has been mentioned before - Lucas being taken out of the drivers seat can only be a good thing. Of all the travesties he inflicted upon us, screwing up the first big Vader scene ranks up there.

In the end though - at least a change of control gives the possibility that decent, entertaining films might result.

I just want a decent, entertaining, exciting film! I'm an adult so I will not connect to these films, however good they are, the same way I did to the original films when I was a kid.

But my son may... it'll be interesting to see :)

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I can see Vader in it somehow. As a ghost, as a dream, something. He is iconic and he is money. But to actually resurrect him would be to tarnish the whole point of the previous six films.

I'm guessing by Vader as a ghost you mean Anakin, as we saw at the end of Episode VI?

Since Anakin and Vader are one in the same, I don't see how we could see Vader in the black suit as a force ghost.

karaokeman wrote: »
    I'm guessing by Vader as a ghost you mean Anakin, as we saw at the end of Episode VI?

Since Anakin and Vader are one in the same, I don't see how we could see Vader in the black suit as a force ghost.

No I mean Vader, suit and all. If the story has any truth to it then that's the character that Disney want to bring back not Anakin Skywalker.

Obviously it wouldn't make sense.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Rumours popping up before any script is written, sounds legit :rolleyes:

Any word on a director? I really do hope that it will be Whedon, but it's unlikely.

In Buffy/Angel he proved that he can write extremely strong characters (especially female leads, which is something that was always lacking from the previous Star Wars movies, bar Leia). In the Avengers he showed that he can handle multiple larger-than-life characters and have huge fight scenes that don't descend in to the confusing mess that is normally associated with Bay. In Firefly and Serenity he showed that he can do proper science fiction. Hell, in Cabin in the Woods he showed that he can also just have a lot of fun.

Like I said, it's probably unlikely, especially with Avengers 2, but one can only dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

No Vader = No Star Wars! ....IMO

Imagine 'The Dark Knight' without Batman

or 'Raiders' without Indy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Vader is not the central character, in Star Wars.

More like imagine Batman without Joker (done)
    Imagine "Indianna Jones" without Indian witch doctors (done) or Nazis (done). Communists you say?? that never happened

Luke is the central character, in Star Wars. Even at that he could easily pass on the story

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

The little gay robots are the central characters. They better be back for ep7, still bickering like a couple of old queens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

I'm 80/20 with the whole Disney/LucasFilm deal. Yes Disney will milk the franchise, yes there will be at least 12 spin-off cartoon shows based on various characters, yes we'll be seeing Darth Vadar On Ice at the RDS very soon. But on the plus side, a whole new Star Wars trilogy, a whole new team to work on them (Imagine Pixar's crew behind them) and the original versions before Lucas ruined them will no doubt be seeing the light of day with snazzy new Blu-Ray releases, replacing the much hated existing Blu-Ray collection (Which i flat-out refuse to buy unless it's under €20). Star Wars fans should be rejoicing, not going crazy with fits of rage. Also, Lucas controls Indiana Jones, so expect a lot on that front too.

PaulB1984 wrote: »
    Also, Lucas controls Indiana Jones, so expect a lot on that front too.

There is a Paramount tie in there too that could muddy the waters.
    Indy is far more important to me than Star Wars TBH, so would love to see Indy rebooted.

Enjoyed watching Star Wars but never bought into it. The entire emotion=evil thing always bugged the crap out of me

There is a Paramount tie in there too that could muddy the waters.
    Indy is far more important to me than Star Wars TBH, so would love to see Indy rebooted.

Enjoyed watching Star Wars but never bought into it. The entire emotion=evil thing always bugged the crap out of me

Same with 20th Century Fox on Star Wars too, they may intervene. But i agree, although i really do have a lot of love for Star Wars, i far prefer Indiana Jones, massive fan of the 4 movies, really feel Crystal Skull got a horrible hammering which it never deserved, i've loved it since it's release, it fits the series perfectly.

• Advertisement

FlashD wrote: »
    No Vader = No Star Wars! ....IMO

Imagine 'The Dark Knight' without Batman

or 'Raiders' without Indy.

The Dark Knight Rises had no Batman.

Same with 20th Century Fox on Star Wars too, they may intervene. But i agree, although i really do have a lot of love for Star Wars, i far prefer Indiana Jones, massive fan of the 4 movies, really feel Crystal Skull got a horrible hammering which it never deserved, i've loved it since it's release, it fits the series perfectly.

Crystal Skull had great premise. I have no problem with
    Aliens
    in the Indy mythology.
    I do have a problem with surviving a nuclear blast in a fridge, CGI gophers, bad CGI sound stage effects (like outside the hanger), bad cgi monkeys, bad acting, bad dialogue and MOST of all Shíta LeBeouf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Indy didn't factor into this deal at all as Paramount own the sequel rights. This deal was all about the sequel and merchandising rights to Star Wars, which Fox gave to Lucas for nothing in '76.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The Dark Knight Rises had no Batman.

I'm calling shenanigans on this.

Crystal Skull had great premise. I have no problem with
    Aliens
    in the Indy mythology.
    I do have a problem with surviving a nuclear blast in a fridge, CGI gophers, bad CGI sound stage effects (like outside the hanger), bad cgi monkeys, bad acting, bad dialogue and MOST of all Shíta LeBeouf

Well, the firdge thing was intended as a gag, but in realism, it is lead-lined. CGI gopher was pointless, but cute and harmless to the movie. To be fair, the earlier trilogy also have a lot of really bad effects, silly add-ons (Just as CS has gophers) and dumb dialogue, that's what made them work i reckon. Shia could've been a little better, but he gives it his best shot, and i do like him as a movie star, he's proved himself a lot. The
    alien
    plotline makes up for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm 80/20 with the whole Disney/LucasFilm deal. Yes Disney will milk the franchise, yes there will be at least 12 spin-off cartoon shows based on various characters, yes we'll be seeing Darth Vadar On Ice at the RDS very soon. But on the plus side, a whole new Star Wars trilogy, a whole new team to work on them (Imagine Pixar's crew behind them) and the original versions before Lucas ruined them will no doubt be seeing the light of day with snazzy new Blu-Ray releases, replacing the much hated existing Blu-Ray collection (Which i flat-out refuse to buy unless it's under €20). Star Wars fans should be rejoicing, not going crazy with fits of rage. Also, Lucas controls Indiana Jones, so expect a lot on that front too.

"We are the E-E-E-Ewoks and we're one big happy family" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Vader is not the central character, in Star Wars.

You must have been watching a different franchise to me so.

Star Wars is about the rise, fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker / Darth Vader.

FlashD wrote: »
    You must have been watching a different franchise to me so.

Star Wars is about the rise, fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker / Darth Vader.

The prequels made this so. The original trilogy was about Luke proving that the light side of the force could triumph and even overcome the damage done to Vader

CastorTroy wrote: »
    "We are the E-E-E-Ewoks and we're one big happy family" :D

LOL! Now THAT'S a great idea! :D

• Advertisement

Lads, can we please not talk about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull? I've only just got out therapy recently.

Advertisement