Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

This is interesting (kinda):

The speculation that in the trailer Rea is crying over
    the dead body of perhaps Chewie because of the hair on the right appears to be resolved (maybe) here as it appears to show that what we thought was hair on the right is in fact foliage in the distance (similar to foliage on the left). Giving it credence to the possibility that it is either Finn or Han??

EDIT: Link here as not working between spoiler tags

What are the chances that the very beginning of Force Awakens shows Naboo being absolutely obliterated? And everyone just going, "Oh. OK then".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

py2006 wrote: »

the dead body of perhaps Chewie because of the hair on the right appears to be resolved (maybe) here as it appears to show that what we thought was hair on the right is in fact foliage in the distance (similar to foliage on the right). Giving me credence to the possibility that it is either Finn or Han??

Looking at the official trailer again:
    I don't think it's Chewie. Looks like this person is lying on its back with what people are suggesting is Chewie's bandolier in view. if that is the case we are looking at the bandolier coming over his right shoulder. Chewie's bandolier actually hangs over his left shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

sky88 wrote: »
    something similar to what i was thinking that these knights of ren group started as jedi's under luke and then grew closer to the darkside so luke has gone into hiding as he feels responsible for this new evil.
    That was also my assumption, after all, how would he have known where to find Vaders helmet on Endor? That looked like a pretty private funeral to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Anyone think that TFA will break Avatar's reign as the biggest grossing film of all time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Anyone think that TFA will break Avatar's reign as the biggest grossing film of all time?

Was Avatar's reign not broken by Avengers or one of the big hitters in the last while

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Was Avatar's reign not broken by Avengers or one of the big hitters in the last while

No, Avatar still stands top of the pile, nearly twice as high as The Avengers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films#Highest-grossing_films

If any film will topple Avatar, it will be this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

the dead body of perhaps Chewie because of the hair on the right appears to be resolved (maybe) here as it appears to show that what we thought was hair on the right is in fact foliage in the distance (similar to foliage on the left). Giving it credence to the possibility that it is either Finn or Han??

My speculation:
    If Han does die, then I'd say Chewie would die in the same scene. Seriously, why keep Chewie around if Han isn't there? There's zero dynamic between him and anyone else, is C3P0 going to be in every scene with Chewie so that other people can understand him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Some bookmakers are offering ~2/1 on it surpassing Avatar's Worldwide Gross.
    I would have though it would be much closer to 50/50, so worth a few euro I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I can't believe people are still giving credence to this Luke turning to the dark side nonsense. Not only is he not Kylo Ren which is 110% indisputable, it would be the most uncharacteristic move of all time, so much so, that it would have absolutely no credibility. Like are we talking about the same Luke here? The guy in the original trilogy who saw his father fall to the dark side, redeemed him, and was unmovable when two of the most powerful Siths in history attempted to turn him? Of all people in the galaxy, he knows more than anyone what the dark side really is, with his father admitting as much to him in the end. Why on earth would he then turn to the dark side himself? What credible argument is there? This is before we even get into his set of morals and personality traits, which would then have -110% consistency with the original trilogy if he turned. And not to mention, in popular culture, he has come to be the embodiment of "good". It doesn't work on any level, inside or outside of the star wars universe and is never ever going to happen.

As for him training Kylo and the Knights of Ren and them then turning to the dark side against his teachings, although slightly more conceivable, is another major stretch. He may have taught Kylo (possibly a son, nephew, relation) who then left for whatever reason to train others. But saying Luke trained aload of them, who have these teachings ingrained into them for years, all turn around one day and say his teachings were aload of bullsh!t is more nonsense. It's as far fetched as the first point. One may turn for various reasons, but loads of them? No chance. Anakin's personality transformation was a MAJOR stretch with little credibility and only done so for the purpose of continuity, so doing it again is never ever going to happen, especially to several of them. You've more chance of seeing me on screen in theatres this coming December on the dark side than seeing Luke Skywalker have even the slightest of dealings with it

• Advertisement

If it doesn't pass Avatar, it will push it to the pin of its collar. It will hit 1 billion in record time, and canter past 2 billion too. Can it hit 3? If the reviews are good I think it can. Like Avatar and Titanic, it's been moved to the xmas period for this very reason, to have a few months in the cinema without much competition, where the xmas holidays are like several weekends rolled into one. Also read somewhere, that if it is to break 3 billion in the box office, it could become the first movie to be the highest grossing film two years running i.e hitting close to 1.5 billion either side of the new year. Edit....dunno how accurate that is, or if it's eligible to be included next year or if all box office receipts are counted towards the year it's released?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I much rather care if it's good and I like it, instead of how much money it makes.

Box office returns/records are no indicator of quality whatsoever. See avatar for case in point ;)

david75 wrote: »
    I much rather care if it's good and I like it, instead of how much money it makes.

Obviosly... who said otherwise?

Its just a point of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Worst Case Scenario...?

:p

366372.PNG

I can't believe people are still giving credence to this Luke turning to the dark side nonsense.

I think you are being slightly unfair. Speculation is part of the fun, there is a major reason why he has been left out of the trailers and interestingly from the list of main characters on the official site.

It would be a good twist and Hamill himself has said in the past he thought the character would have turned.

You never know, I don't think its as silly as you suggest. Although, his absence could merely be to make his reveal/entrance more exciting on the day.

Edit, its also here so its official :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

While I think his absence from most of the first film is likely down to real life considerations feeding into the plot. ie. That Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher likely don't want much if any involvement in the second and third film and one couldn't do Luke the character justice anyway trying to give enough screentime to the new main cast and Han and Leia as well as luke. So save him to play a much bigger role in the second and third film.

That said, its not beyond the realms of possibility that he has or will turn to the darkside for a while at any rate. He did in the Dark Empire Extended Universe graphic novels. IIRC, in that, he turned because it was the only way he'd be capable of doing what needed to be done from a mental/moral perspective and the only way he'd achieve Force Powers strong enough to do what needed to be done. With the Hope that he'd be able to come back from the Darkside when it was over.

JJ might like paralleling the Darkside and final redemption arc of Vader with Luke.

Maybe it'll be kinda paralleling real life events which sci-fi often does. Maybe the chaos across the galaxy after the defeat of the Empire with old ethnic/species conflicts re-igniting with no Empire to keep a lid on them, persuades Luke that maybe the Empire was the lesser of two evils. Kinda Like the Middle East Dictators and the Arab Springs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Calibos wrote: »
    JJ might like paralleling the Darkside and final redemption arc of Vader with Luke.

I'm open to being corrected but I don't think Abrams has free reign with the script or, even if he has license, that he wouldn't want to get too crazy with it. Its my understanding that the sequel trilogy will be loosely following the initial plot as penned by Lucas donkeys ago, albeit with improvements here and there.

Ok call me stupid, but at what stage to we hear Leia's voice in the trailer?

I think you are being slightly unfair. Speculation is part of the fun, there is a major reason why he has been left out of the trailers and interestingly from the list of main characters on the official site.

+1 It's great that they've left the plot sufficiently ambiguous for people to have a chance to mull over possible plot lines etc.

It's what made Game of Thrones so much fun the last few years (for non book readers).

I personally think Rey's most substantive line is when she's asked who she is. She replies, 'no one'. Cos she is someone. Someone quite important.

And people are speculating about a Luke/dark side plot because the central tenet of the series always has been about how seductive the dark side is for powerful force users especially ones with issues.

And apart from his father being a psychotic mass murdering split personality warlord, his defacto step parents being brutally murdered (and seeing their charred bodies), his hand being chopped off by said psychotic mass murdering split personality warlord father - Luke really hasn't had much happen to him that might make him mentally unstable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

quad_red wrote: »
    And apart from his father being a psychotic mass murdering split personality warlord, his defacto step parents being brutally murdered (and seeing their charred bodies), his hand being chopped off by said psychotic mass murdering split personality warlord father - Luke really hasn't had much happen to him that might make him mentally unstable...

Despite all that, he had the strength, courage and conviction to stay true to his beliefs in RoTJ. I'd be shocked if there's a Luke/Dark Side twist to all of this, for me it would instantly taint his hard fought achievements (resisting the dark side, defeating Vader, saving Anakin, toppling the empire etc). The lines may indeed be blurred in this new film, but I'd be astonished if any of that speculation turns out to be true.

• Advertisement

The dark side done all this to him. Naturally it would only harden his attitude against them. If a gang of murderers or a regime murdered your parents would you turn around and join them? Like seriously?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Despite all that, he had the strength, courage and conviction to stay true to his beliefs in RoTJ. I'd be shocked if there's a Luke/Dark Side twist to all of this, for me it would instantly taint his hard fought achievements (resisting the dark side, defeating Vader, saving Anakin, toppling the empire etc). The lines may indeed be blurred in this new film, but I'd be astonished if any of that speculation turns out to be true.

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

You left out snogging his sister :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

Anyone seen this, in one of the teaser trailers Luke speaks of his father Anakin in the present tense which is kinda strange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmhwnW5tFiM&app=desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

heh this is like the whole star trek into darkness Khan debate again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Box office returns/records are no indicator of quality whatsoever. See avatar for case in point ;)

But box office is important, as it can drastically effect future plans for better or worse. Just look at what Warner Bros did after Man of Steel disappointed them in the BO (gas thing is that Man of Steel did more than enough, it just wasn't touching the likes of The Dark Knight and The Avengers).

The Incredible Hulk would be another example, where Marvel Studios are cautious about ever doing another solo outing.

The dark side done all this to him. Naturally it would only harden his attitude against them. If a gang of murderers or a regime murdered your parents would you turn around and join them? Like seriously?

If someone murdered my parents I'd hate them. *really* hate them.. [you can see where this is going] ;p

Anyway, I'm not saying he has. I'm just saying it's hardly totally outlandish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Luke has always sort of been on the dark side.

How many innocent people died on the death star?(contractors, civil servants etc) How many innocent people died on jabbas barge? (Slaves, prisoners, party goers)

And not a backward glance of thought did he give. Perhaps we're seeing it all the wrong way and he was evil the whole time and Vader was just trying to bring peace and order to the Galaxy?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Mind blown

537.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Luke has always sort of been on the dark side.

How many innocent people died on the death star?(contractors, civil servants etc) How many innocent people died on jabbas barge? (Slaves, prisoners, party goers)

And not a backward glance of thought did he give. Perhaps we're seeing it all the wrong way and he was evil the whole time and Vader was just trying to bring peace and order to the Galaxy?

Vader was like Trump, just making jobs and trying to tackle the unemployment crisis.

Advertisement