Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

y4mdsC9.jpg

07ufbNX.jpg

YHObbOV.jpg

zkzeyRR.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

I've been avoiding all this new stuff so far. Only seen the first trailer.,so it'll all be fresh viewing for me!

I presume screen 1 in the savoy is booked for solid for a least a week? Anybody know what the story is? No way am I watching anywhere else.

You can pre book and choose your seat in the savoys website. You'd want to get on it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is a fully booked Savoy 1, with the heads of the people in front of you taking up half the screen, really the best place to see this? I think I'd be considering somewhere with a better, more comfortable layout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Is a fully booked Savoy 1, with the heads of the people in front of you taking up half the screen, really the best place to see this? I think I'd be considering somewhere with a better, more comfortable layout.

I've got my midnight ticket for Odeon... nice clearance between the rows so I'll be able to see what's happening/enjoy the plot etc...

Then 1pm the next day in Savoy to enjoy the atmosphere/massive screen without being annoyed by big heads blocking the view :-)... helps that Thursday is cheap tickets day in Savoy.

Both 2d of course, can't be dealing with 3d.

Any recommendations in Dublin?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Any recommendations in Dublin?

The size of the screen is only one factor that you should consider. Comfort, leg room, a good view of the screen, etc, are equally important. Personally I'd be perfectly happy with the Lighthouse, non-IMAX Cineworld or (depending on the screen as some of them are sh*te) Vue.

Don't be thinking of those things in fairness (it's about 10 yrs since I was in a cinema tbh) have very fond memories of screen one in the savoy (particularly ghostbusters 2) also have vague memories of watching jungle book in the ambassador when I was very young, was pandemonium, kids running amok allover.

But for this, I think it'll have to be the big ass screen I think.

• Advertisement

Screen 1 in Savoy is the best screen in Dublin IMHO. It has a great atmosphere and just feels like a proper cinema screen to me (and it's also where I've seen a lot of my favourite movies since I was a kid so nostalgia plays a big part)... There might be a head or two in your way but, let's face it, 99% of people on the Star Wars movie thread in November are going to watch this film a few hundred times (conservatively)... likely a couple of times before Christmas alone. I went to see Spectre there the other week and had a guy of about 6.5 sat upright a couple of rows in front... slightly irritating at first but then you get over it. I'll be back there to see TFA on Dec 17th without any concerns.

The plot in Star Wars isn't going to be anything complex, you're not going to miss anything important even with a big fat head in front of you so go where you'll have the nicest experience overall.

Cineworld have nicely tiered rows though and I've never had an issue seeing over the guy in front there... but I find it fairly sterile. As someone else said, the Lighthouse is a lovely cinema if you fancy a short walk out of town.

Agreed, it is the best. Hopefully I can get something booked for opening night but probably slim to none on that front tbh, don't mind waiting a few days though.

Anyone know what the omni Park cinema (Santry) is like? Any decent screens etc?
    Also the one in swords?
    I know people that work in both and maybe able to get an arse cushion for opening night if booked out.

If they are ****ty, I'll wait for screen 1 in the savoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

Cineworld have nicely tiered rows though and I've never had an issue seeing over the guy in front there... but I find it fairly sterile.

Travelling from County Clare with my son to see Star Wars in 3d Imax in Cineworld. Never been before. But was told Imax was the best way to see this.
    Is it as good as i'm told? Surprising my son with this and it's costing me a fortune. But hey IT'S STAR WARS! :)
    P.s. i'm a shortarse n hate sitting behind big heads. Hope this won't be a problem.

According to JJ Leia will be known as
    General Leia and not Princess. Expect Solo to keep calling her Princess by accident

EDIT: Story already linked to above.

5L2gDAv.jpg

harisson-ford-jj-abrhams.jpg?itok=EX0JFVqg

john-boyega-bb8-oscar-isaac.jpg

boyega-chewbacca-ford.jpg

first-order-troopers-shoot.jpg

dpZ1duX.jpg

pZWKyLF.jpg

Apparently, the original casting call:

Disney-Star-Wars-casting-call.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

py2006 wrote: »
    pZWKyLF.jpg

There's something very pleasing about her battered up space Honda 50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lameusername

Cineworld have nicely tiered rows though and I've never had an issue seeing over the guy in front there... but I find it fairly sterile.

Travelling from County Clare with my son to see Star Wars in 3d Imax in Cineworld. Never been before. But was told Imax was the best way to see this.
    Is it as good as i'm told? Surprising my son with this and it's costing me a fortune. But hey IT'S STAR WARS! :)
    P.s. i'm a shortarse n hate sitting behind big heads. Hope this won't be a problem.
    I saw the star treks there and it was great. 3D all the way for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There isn't a hope in hell that I'll watch this in 3D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hate to be the bearer of bad news :pac:

Once you acknowledge the fact that Cineworld IMAX isn't close to the famed full IMAX experience (you have to go abroad for that), it's a decent if totally overpriced screen. It does have a better - if sometimes overly loud - sound system than most screens, but apart from that IMO there's nothing special about it for the price you're paying.

As I've said before, I'd strongly discourage anyone from seeing this in 3D unless you have no other choice or are a really, really big fan of the extra dimension. It wasn't shot that way, so there's effectively not a chance it will have any significant benefits but will definitely suffer from the multitude of drawbacks from 3D viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lameusername

Forgot to mention, keep your head down about all that round here.

Can anybody recall who was at the Skellig shoot? Apart from the obvious, I am fairly certain
    Daisy and her stunt double
    was there but anybody else?

Another TV spot, but doesn't reveal anything new

Can anybody recall who was at the Skellig shoot? Apart from the obvious, I am fairly certain
    Daisy and her stunt double
    was there but anybody else?

I'm fairly sure it was the obvious and the one you mentioned. Nobody else.

Apparently, the original casting call:

Disney-Star-Wars-casting-call.jpg

Dubious...
    Rey being open to all ethnicities doesn't make a lot of sense considering the rumours of her parentage

I'd say Rey and Finns roles were probably swappable at that very early stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭paulbok

Tony EH wrote: »
    There's something very pleasing about her battered up space Honda 50.

Looks more like a Massey Ferguson 35 to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

ANOTHER TV spot, with LOADS of new shots and dialogue.

Watch it at your peril. Hating myself right now. :p

Is it December yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I don't understand why there was such a big gap between the 2nd teaser and the full trailer, when they are showing so much footage now. I'd rather they had spread it out more.

Advertisement