Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

flynnlives wrote: »
    ah why did Finn say "hell no!" in that tv spot?!

wtf?

Because times change. No point keeping the writing as if it's still the 70s/80s, writing should be relevant to the times we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Yakkyda wrote: »
    I think he's referring to the religious, faith-based aspect of the Force, which if it was expanded on too much might inspire some crazies to turn it into a religion.

Bit late for that methinks, already a few that declare themselves as jedi on census forms, dunno the numbers for Ireland (no doubt there's some) but there's definitely a few thousand in the UK at last count, probably be a lot more in the next census I'd imagine.
    Fcuk knows how many over the big pond...

The numbers of Jedi scum in Ireland is a state secret
    "but we don't publish it"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Bit late for that methinks, already a few that declare themselves as jedi on census forms, dunno the numbers for Ireland (no doubt there's some) but there's definitely a few thousand in the UK at last count, probably be a lot more in the next census I'd imagine.
    Fcuk knows how many over the big pond...

You are aware those people are taking the piss right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

faceman wrote: »
    I can't help but feel that the people that don't want to talk about Star Wars before the film comes out are the people who will ruin it for everybody because they'll be first to see it and talk about how much they loved it it and got to see it first without due care.

Just like GoT fans!

Im a huge song of ice and fire fan, and I've never ruineded game of thrones for everyone. Or do oh mean game of thrones fans: if so how are they seeing it before others ?

• Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

You are aware those people are taking the piss right?
    No way, really?!? Of course the majority are, but I'd bet me right bollock quite a few aren't...

Either way, come 200 years down the line when SW is forgotten historian's may look back at the census and think: who were the jedi? Why were they so few? What did they believe?

Long time for a punchline I'll admit, but gas all the same.

Edit:well scientology became an official religious body in the good aul USA.

And then there's these guys :www jedi church org arguably a better case for official recognition than the loony cult mentioned above imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Christ, did I just see
    a storm trooper with a light sabre fork thingy?
    in the latest TV spot? ugh... Now I'm starting to have doubts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

.ak wrote: »
    Christ, did I just see
    a storm trooper with a light sabre fork thingy?
    in the latest TV spot? ugh... Now I'm starting to have doubts.

It's supposedly a
    riot control
    storm trooper. I don't see the any fuss, it's a pretty cool design to me, makes a lot of sense in the inner workings of a despot army;
    the relative invincibility of the jedi lightsaber has got a bit silly by now anyway. If anything, the lightsaber needs depowering from the mythical tool it had become

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's supposedly a
    riot control
    storm trooper. I don't see the any fuss, it's a pretty cool design to me, makes a lot of sense in the inner workings of a despot army;
    the relative invincibility of the jedi lightsaber has got a bit silly by now anyway. If anything, the lightsaber needs depowering from the mythical tool it had become

Well... I sort of agree with where you're going... However
    I still think the light sabre fork is rediculous. The idea has always been that only a skilled Jedi can construct these, hence why kylo's is so crappy - which is a really nice touch IMO - and the light sabre has been around for millennia and there is material in the SW universe that can resist lightsabres. Remember the vibrostaff's in Ep3?

There's a mythical element to lightsabres and that's what makes them special. In the initial designs for the OT there was plans for all storm troopers to be armed with lightsabres, but they took that out because it just takes away from it.

Also I presume in this saga there hasn't been any Jedi knocking around? So why do the troopers even need a weapon to combat lightsabres?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

CatInABox wrote: »
    Because times change. No point keeping the writing as if it's still the 70s/80s, writing should be relevant to the times we live in.

I don't recall Luke, Han or Leia using "hip" crap talk of the 70's or 80's.

Not even Lando! :eek:

When Bespin was occupied by the Imperials, maybe Lando should have said "This facility has been taken over by the man, all ya'll should git, while you can...ya dig?"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »

When Bespin was occupied by the Imperials, maybe Lando should have said "This facility has been taken over by the man, all ya'll should git, while you can...ya dig?"

Hmm, I did think solo's dialogue was very of the time.

Well... I sort of agree with where you're going... However
    I still think the light sabre fork is rediculous. The idea has always been that only a skilled Jedi can construct these, hence why kylo's is so crappy - which is a really nice touch IMO - and the light sabre has been around for millennia and there is material in the SW universe that can resist lightsabres. Remember the vibrostaff's in Ep3?

There's a mythical element to lightsabres and that's what makes them special. In the initial designs for the OT there was plans for all storm troopers to be armed with lightsabres, but they took that out because it just takes away from it.

Also I presume in this saga there hasn't been any Jedi knocking around? So why do the troopers even need a weapon to combat lightsabres?

For anyone who played KoTR the existence of lightsaber resistant weapons is fine. Also, I still don't think Finn will be a Jedi, I think Rey is being set up for that role... and is there some relation between how potent/useful a lightsabre is and how strong the wielder is with the force? I don't think it's as simple as just physically construct a lightsabre and then go use it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Tony EH wrote: »

No, but Han did run around telling people that he'd see them in hell, to laugh it up and that he's in it for the money.

That wasn't "Hip" talk from the 70s, that was just normal speech, same as I'd consider "hell no" to be normal speech nowadays. Seriously, if someone said "Hell no" to you, do you really think that they're "Hip"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There's nothing particuarlly hip or modern about "hell no". However, "AW HELL NAW", plus appropriate hand gestures, is sometimes considered stereotypical African American-speak. And if he delivered it in that manner I might understand people's issue with the line. But he doesn't so I don't.

Ever since it was revealed that Boyega is playing a stormtrooper, there seems to be a cohort of fans chomping at the bit to find evidence of racial stereotyping.

Ah, people do be reading a bit too much into this stuff. Wait until the film comes out, then disect it. Going off trailers and whatever is jumping the gun. If it's a good story, nobody's gonna give a rats ass, there's always gonna be people knocking it no matter what.

I'll only be giving out if it's tripe of the highest order(like say, the first two of a certain trilogy) otherwise people are getting their knickers in a twist beforehand.

I've watched the first two trailers, no more. What's the point?!? Leave all the suspense for the first viewing, then judge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ah, people do be reading a bit too much into this stuff. Wait until the film comes out, then disect it. Going off trailers and whatever is jumping the gun.
    Bit of an odd thing to suggest, no? Fans enjoy speculating in the same way sports media and fans speculate ahead of a big match. Should they just not speculate about the outcome and wait for the whistle?

The Star Wars drip-feed of imagery is carefully calculated to keep us fans with enough to keep us talking until the Big Day. And it's great. I'm taking my kids and we're counting down the days like its Christmas. Star Wars might be just a movie to you, which is fine, but to many it's an event to be enjoyed before and after.

Star Wars might be just a movie to you, which is fine, but to many it's an event to be enjoyed before and after.[/quote]

Not odd, I just think that over analysis before it airs, might set your self up for disappointments, story wise or whatever. I was born after rtj, I'm a die hard fan.

I fell in love with it off ny own bat, many kids have and will. Picking holes in a new chapter, before you know it ruins it, imo.

Obviously your kids know the background, let them enjoy the wonder of the cinematic experience.

I hope you didn't show them the trailers. Leave the magic there.

I spent so much money, on models, books (which are now non canon)I have sw Adidas runners ffs, which I had to bring in from America.

For me it's a massive event too, I'm not gonna be ruin it before I see it, by picking every little bit apart before I've seen it.

This is an event no doubt, picking it apart beforehand will leave you with a sour taste in your mouth. hence why i

Not odd, I just think that over analysis before it airs, might set your self up for disappointments, story wise or whatever. I was born after rtj, I'm a die hard fan.

I fell in love with it off ny own bat, many kids have and will. Picking holes in a new chapter, before you know it ruins it, imo.

Obviously your kids know the background, let them enjoy the wonder of the cinematic experience.

I hope you didn't show them the trailers. Leave the magic there.

I spent so much money, on models, books (which are now non canon)I have sw Adidas runners ffs, which I had to bring in from America.

For me it's a massive event too, I'm not gonna be ruin it before I see it, by picking every little bit apart before I've seen it.

This is an event no doubt, picking it apart beforehand will leave you with a sour taste in your mouth. hence why i

If you don't want to do any of those things then don't. Simple as that.

Others do want to do it and will and it's no better or worse than how you choose to enjoy the experience. Personally, I love the build up and discussing the movie with others, it's just speculation and it's fun to engage with people who are interested in the movie.

You're operating under the bizarre notion that your way is the best way when it comes to enjoying movies... how we enjoy movies and entertainment in general is entirely subjective, there is no right way. Live and let live.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I appreciate the other POVs!

I've weighed up the pros and cons of avoiding SW analysis before the release, and come to the conclusion that the buildup is half the fun and to embrace it. Kudos to JJ and co it'll still be a *new* experience. Take for example some of the trailers for The Martian - they might as well have showed you the movie. TFA trailers just whet the appetite and get people talking.

• Advertisement

If you don't want to do any of those things then don't. Simple as that.

Others do want to do it and will and it's no better or worse than how you choose to enjoy the experience. Personally, I love the build up and discussing the movie with others, it's just speculation and it's fun to engage with people who are interested in the movie.

You're operating under the bizarre notion that your way is the best way when it comes to enjoying movies... how we enjoy movies and entertainment in general is entirely subjective, there is no right way. Live and let live.

I don't think any way is the right way, I (personally) just think it's a bad idea to pick apart something I haven't yet seen, it may lead to a massive disappointment .
    As you have said, live and let live. Each to their own etc.

I haven't been in a cinema in over 8 years, this is THE movie I've been waiting for.

All signs are good so far, imo.
    Looking to hard into it before hand is silly.

(yes, I know I'm contradicting myself a bit, I'm bowing out of all SW threads from here on in)

All I can hope is that it's as good as we all wish it to be. I've no bizarre notions. I just want a fantastic movie experience, how we both approach it is different, but I hope it's fantastic for all.

Hmm, I did think solo's dialogue was very of the time.

Was it?

I can't recall any of Harrison Ford's dialogue including any hipster sayings from the 70's.

No, but Han did run around telling people that he'd see them in hell, to laugh it up and that he's in it for the money.

That wasn't "Hip" talk from the 70s, that was just normal speech, same as I'd consider "hell no" to be normal speech nowadays. Seriously, if someone said "Hell no" to you, do you really think that they're "Hip"?

I wouldn't know anyone who would say "Hell no" to me. :cool:

"I'll see you in hell" wasn't a hip phrase. It's just "I'll see you in hell". That's pretty timeless.

Now, if he'd said "Cool duds brother" to somebody, that might be different.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From what I was reading on the original films (How SW conquered the world) at least in The Empire Strikes back, that Ford spent productive time in discussions with the director on how Solo should speak and interact.

There's nothing particuarlly hip or modern about "hell no". However, "AW HELL NAW", plus appropriate hand gestures, is sometimes considered stereotypical African American-speak. And if he delivered it in that manner I might understand people's issue with the line. But he doesn't so I don't.

Ever since it was revealed that Boyega is playing a stormtrooper, there seems to be a cohort of fans chomping at the bit to find evidence of racial stereotyping.

"Hell no" is particular parlance though and it's not limited to any race.

But yeh, I agree, there has been some stupid crap on the web about Boyega's front and centre part, which is utterly lamentable. But there's also been some crap talk about Daisy Ridley's accent too.

That kind of nonsense is always present.

Personally, I don't really care. I just disagreed with this:

Dades wrote: »
    I appreciate the other POVs!

I've weighed up the pros and cons of avoiding SW analysis before the release, and come to the conclusion that the buildup is half the fun and to embrace it. Kudos to JJ and co it'll still be a *new* experience. Take for example some of the trailers for The Martian - they might as well have showed you the movie. TFA trailers just whet the appetite and get people talking.

I specifically avoid trailers these days for films I think I'd be interested in seeing. I was hesitant to look at the new Star Wars one, but gave in. I was happy that I saw it and the other one as it's certainly whet my appetite for the film and that was always going to be hard, as after the dreadful crap that the prequels turned out to be, I long since considered the franchise dead. The second trailer particularly made it look like a real Star Wars film.

All things considered, whoever cut that trailer did a bloody good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

image34.jpg?resize=530%2C246

image35.jpg?resize=600%2C202

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Has anyone totaled/compiled the running time of the released footage? Are we at 5 minutes yet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

david75 wrote: »
    Has anyone totaled/compiled the running time of the released footage? Are we at 5 minutes yet?

Someone did a chronological supercut a couple of days ago containing most of the released footage. It was a little over 4 minutes.

Advertisement