Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Lads, can we please not talk about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull? I've only just got out therapy recently.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, you say? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

CastorTroy wrote: »
    "We are the E-E-E-Ewoks and we're one big happy family" :D

And who could forget this catchy number from The Police (or possibly some session band who sounded a bit like them?)

Something I find humourous is people complaining about Disney going to sell out Star Wars by having merchandise and terrible cartoons and things.

Ehm, don't you already have that now?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

kitakyushu wrote: »
    And who could forget this catchy number from The Police (or possibly some session band who sounded a bit like them?)

Just can't beat this, sorry :D

(Oooh, cool! Denver the Last Dinosaur linked on the youtube page. :) "He's my friend and a whole lot more")

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just can't beat this, sorry :D

(Oooh, cool! Denver the Last Dinosaur linked on the youtube page. :) "He's my friend and a whole lot more")

I don't remember that music. I think this is the one I knew?

Anyway let's hope Disney come up with dozens and dozens of new shows just as good. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭rednik

Just No !!

4B8B3D8A6EA64E4B903FC006617F4AA6-0000336305-0003072805-00618L-834E174A687D4044AE2DA3E2BA25C105.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

FlashD wrote: »
    You must have been watching a different franchise to me so.

Star Wars is about the rise, fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker / Darth Vader.

only since the prequels though, was Luke's story in the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

rednik wrote: »
    Just No !!

[noparse]4B8B3D8A6EA64E4B903FC006617F4AA6-0000336305-0003072805-00618L-834E174A687D4044AE2DA3E2BA25C105.jpg[/noparse]

At least he looks happy in that as opposed to the kill me now look in the other photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I think we all know that Luke's true calling was to rule through the power of the Dark Side.

Its possible the old crew will return for this, with a new younger crew of heros to battle Luke, that would be special!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Via his Twitter accout, Brad Bird confirmed / insisted he isn't directing Ep7, so we may strike his name off the (wish)list. I believe there were some mutterings about Jon Favreau being at the helm, in the classic fashion of "he was asked and he didn't completely deny it"

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote Empire and Jedi, will be writing Episodes 8 and 9 along with Simon Kinberg, who worked on X-Men First Class

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote Empire and Jedi, will be writing Episodes 8 and 9 along with Simon Kinberg, who worked on X-Men First Class

Source?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Roar wrote: »
    Source?

I'm not able to link directly but if you go to comicbookmovie.com they have the story there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

484963_526674394011667_925038926_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not a bad mockup. So it's Episode VII: Jaws Strikes Back?
    Though the shark still looks fake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/21/3677450/empire-strikes-back-return-of-jedi-new-star-wars

According to The Hollywood Reporter, writers Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg have agreed to write installments of the new Star Wars trilogy, and they will write either Episode 8 or Episode 9. Kasdan's already got some serious credentials under his belt: he previously co-wrote The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Kasdan's counterpart Kinberg has written titles including X-Men: The Last Stand, Sherlock Holmes, and Jumper. The Hollywood Reporter says that the writers' exact responsibilities haven't been determined yet, and it's unclear if the duo will take on both movies. Regardless, it's exciting news for Star Wars fans who hold the original trilogy in high regard.

The new Star Wars trilogy resulted from the Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm, announced back in October. Disney plans to release the first of the new trilogy, Star Wars: Episode 7, sometime in 2015. That film will be written by Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine writer Michael Arndt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Hold on: Return of the Jedi was terrible. Empire and Raiders great.

BUT

X-Men-Last Stand and Jumper?? really??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Hold on: Return of the Jedi was terrible. Empire and Raiders great.

AFAIK RotJ was weaker because of Lucas, who shot down many ideas Kasden had in favour of Ewoks. The climactic three-way showdown between Luke, Vader and the Emperor, and Vader's subsequent death, survive from Kasden's original treatments, and they form one of the strongest, most memorable sequences in the trilogy, a hint of what RotJ might have been without Lucas in overall charge.

Kinski wrote: »
    AFAIK RotJ was weaker because of Lucas, who shot down many ideas Kasden had in favour of Ewoks. The climactic three-way showdown between Luke, Vader and the Emperor, and Vader's subsequent death, survive from Kasden's original treatments, and they form one of the strongest, most memorable sequences in the trilogy, a hint of what RotJ might have been without Lucas in overall charge.

OK that is good to know. That makes things seem much better

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The problems with the Jedi do indeed lie mostly with Lucas, but most of the good things about the film are Lucas as well. Kasdan worked off Lucas's treatment, same as on Empire. The whole Vader/Luke showdown was Lucas's idea and was in his original draft before Kasdan wrote a word. It's generally believed that Lucas directed all those scenes as well. Killing Han off was Ford's idea and Kasdan agreed, although he thought he should die at the start of the film. Killing him at the very end, as in the later drafts of the script, was kinda pointless. Kasdan probably wasn't too bothered either way as he was just a writer-for-hire and was keen to work on his own films.

Anyway, it's amazing how Kennedy was able to coax Kasdan back but Lucas couldn't. You have to wonder how much of the issues with Jedi and the prequels were due to Lucas's disputes with the DGA and WGA during the making of Empire, presumedly over money. He really burned all his bridges and isolated himself. American writers and directors won't risk incurring union wrath, not even for Star Wars.

• Advertisement

Now someone just needs to convince me of Jumper and Last Stand:(

The problems with the Jedi do indeed lie mostly with Lucas, but most of the good things about the film are Lucas as well. Kasdan worked off Lucas's treatment, same as on Empire. The whole Vader/Luke showdown was Lucas's idea and was in his original draft before Kasdan wrote a word. It's generally believed that Lucas directed all those scenes as well. Killing Han off was Ford's idea and Kasdan agreed, although he thought he should die at the start of the film. Killing him at the very end, as in the later drafts of the script, was kinda pointless. Kasdan probably wasn't too bothered either way as he was just a writer-for-hire and was keen to work on his own films.

Anyway, it's amazing how Kennedy was able to coax Kasdan back but Lucas couldn't. You have to wonder how much of the issues with Jedi and the prequels were due to Lucas's disputes with the DGA and WGA during the making of Empire, presumedly over money. He really burned all his bridges and isolated himself. American writers and directors won't risk incurring union wrath, not even for Star Wars.

That background just leaves me scratching my head again, wondering "What the hell happened with this guy?" The theory that Lucas' vision for Star Wars was always poorly-conceived, and that others refined his ideas into decent stories and good films is a neat one, since it explains how the prequels turned out so bad. But how could someone who did have a flair for cinematic storytelling lose his touch so completely that he showed such incompetence when making the prequels?

That background just leaves me scratching my head again, wondering "What the hell happened with this guy?" The theory that Lucas' vision for Star Wars was always poorly-conceived, and that others refined his ideas into decent stories and good films is a neat one, since it explains how the prequels turned out so bad. But how could someone who did have a flair for cinematic storytelling lose his touch so completely that he showed such incompetence when making the prequels?

The theory (and I actually believe it) is that his divorce pretty much shattered him as a creative or ambitious force. After that he seemed to lose interest in making movies that would appeal to a wide audience and instead started refocusing his projects to suit his own interests and those of his family. For example, he started making movies like the "Ewok Adventures" for no other reason than to entertain his daughter Amanda and to reflect his relationship with her. So much so that in second movie of this series he actually kills the family (except the daughter of course) and makes the her the main character!

He continued this pattern with the prequels and the fourth Indy movie. TPM features a boy pretty much the same age as his own son Jett and in Crystal Skulls the Mutt character was originally supposed to be a teenage/20something girl (presumably to reflect his relationship with his daughter Katie?), but the choice got vetoed before production.

Basically, as far as I can tell, Lucas has spent the last 25-30 years making movies/tv to entertain nobody but himself and his children and to reflect his relationships with them. He knows the movies will sell no matter what crap he puts in them and as a result doesn't really care too much anymore what the audience thinks.

Interesting theory, but saying he only made them to please himself and his family is probably pushing it; he probably made them mainly to make money. But perhaps changes in his personal life do account for his creative downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

he probably made them mainly to make money.

Yes, because he's been so broke ever since Empire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Yes, because he's been so broke ever since Empire.

People with money always want more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The blogs are jumping the gun. I wouldn't be convinced that Flemyng was being serious. Until there's a press release from Disney, Vaughn hasn't been confirmed for anything.

• Advertisement

According to THR, Kasdan and Kinberg aren't working on Episode 8 and 9. Instead they may be writing separate spin-off films focusing on side characters, similar to the Marvel universe.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/post-george-lucas-star-wars-394910

Makes sense, I guess. Disney want to make their investment back as quick as possible. A film every 2 years isn't enough, especially when development problems could delay things considerably. When you think about it, Lucas didn't exploit the film brand nearly as much as he could have. He only made 6 films in 35 years. However, with spin-off films Disney could have a new Star Wars film ready to release in theatres every summer for the foreseeable future. In a few years time they could have multiple trilogies going, maybe several films a year.

Advertisement