Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Goodshape wrote: »
    That latest trailer mentions PG-13 at the end. First I've heard of a rating.

Little disappointed with that. Had hoped to take my 6 year old brother to see it. Big Star Wars fan.

At most it will be 12A over here. You can still bring him if you want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

david75 wrote: »
    What would a Star Wars film directed by Spielberg look like? Would it work?

Spielberg's style is so different from Lucas's. All those long takes would seem odd in Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

syklops wrote: »
    You know what PG-13 means right?

Yeah, it means a big jump from the U/G movies he's enjoyed so far.

You can bring a 6 year old to an R rated movie in the USA too. Don't think that means it's necessarily a good idea.

PG is the old G now, i.e. bad for box office. The studios don't want it and it wouldn't surprise me if they threw in a bit of CGI blood to make sure it was PG-13. Which happened with the original Star Wars as well: the MPAA originally gave it a G but Fox insisted on a PG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Now it's December, can really feel this approaching fast now !!! Got our tickets yesterday !! , will have to queue for 1 hour or so, but so what ???

• Advertisement

PG is the old G now, i.e. bad for box office. The studios don't want it and it wouldn't surprise me if they threw in a bit of CGI blood to make sure it was PG-13. Which happened with the original Star Wars as well: the MPAA originally gave it a G but Fox insisted on a PG.

Yeah, it's a pity. Can't say I'm surprised but I am a bit disappointed. Would have appreciated a "well done U".

The original trilogy were always U or G rated in UK / Ireland.

I'll be seeing it myself first anyway and determine then if it's suitable for a six year old – but it's hard to imagine it will be. Guess he can contend himself with the Lego Star Wars and Clone Wars shows for another while yet :)

Well, whatever about the IFCO, who I suspect slept through the last 30 minutes of Episode III, but Star Wars and Empire would be PG-13 if they came out today.

Has he seen Abrams's Star Trek films? I'd say Awakens will be pretty comparable in terms of content.

Well, whatever about the IFCO, who I suspect slept through the last 30 minutes of Episode III, but Star Wars and Empire would be PG-13 if they came out today.

Oh, I don't know about PG-13 for Star Wars or Empire. Bit of blood from one guy losing an arm in Star Wars but that's all of a second on screen and probably the worst of it. The rest is pure Saturday morning fantasy stuff. It's really part of the charm imo.

If anything I'd put Jedi at a higher rating than those two (which I think it might have, iirc?). Not as much as a PG-13 but, teddy bear sing-alongs aside, it has it's dark and disturbing moments.
    Has he seen Abrams's Star Trek films? I'd say Awakens will be pretty comparable in terms of content.

No, Star Trek is a bit beyond a six year old I think. Hasn't seen Episode 3 either – because he doesn't really need to see a man losing all limbs and burning half to death after murdering a school full of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Speilberg who has seen it 3 times is quoted as saying:

" I think The Force Awakens could be the greatest movie of all time."

.....but adds, "The Phantom Menace was an instant classic and the rest of the prequels are very cool movies."

Simon Pegg confirms what we already kinda know but I will spoiler it out anyway just in case:
    "I am on set as a consultant, acting as a sounding board for J.J., who is making tweaks to the already wonderful screenplay. My computer is open in Final Draft and, at the top of my screen, the scene heading reads, "INT. S-REDACTED-R – Day". I hear a familiar voice and turn to see Mark walking onto set, looking trim and cool, with a beard that he grumbles about but makes him look handsome and Jedi-like. When they shot Luke placing his robotic hand on R2's head, a moment glimpsed in the trailer, I sat at the monitors with Mark's family and marvelled at the huge significance of the moment."

• Advertisement

I bet Kasdan was delighted when he heard Pegg was re-writing him on set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

py2006 wrote: »

.....but adds, "The Phantom Menace was an instant classic and the rest of the prequels are very cool movies."

I actually think this new Star Wars will be good, but wouldn't put any trust in what he'd say, James Cameraon said Terminator Genisys was great - WHAT????

It's all hollywood hype doing favours for friends/the business etc ..

I've lost all respect for Spielberg lately, after the JOKE of Indiana Jones IV ...

I actually think this new Star Wars will be good, but wouldn't put any trust in what he'd say, James Cameraon said Terminator Genisys was great - WHAT????

I've lost all respect for Spielberg lately, after the JOKE of Indiana Jones IV ...

It will be good. Anything after the prequels will be good. It prob won't compare to the originals and certainly won't live up to the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Simon Pegg confirms what we already kinda know but I will spoiler it out anyway just in case:
    "I am on set as a consultant, acting as a sounding board for J.J., who is making tweaks to the already wonderful screenplay. My computer is open in Final Draft and, at the top of my screen, the scene heading reads, "INT. S-REDACTED-R – Day". I hear a familiar voice and turn to see Mark walking onto set, looking trim and cool, with a beard that he grumbles about but makes him look handsome and Jedi-like. When they shot Luke placing his robotic hand on R2's head, a moment glimpsed in the trailer, I sat at the monitors with Mark's family and marvelled at the huge significance of the moment."

Sorry, I don't get what's spoiler here?

Sorry, I don't get what's spoiler here?

Some have avoided the trailers. Also, it was only any assumption until Pegg confirmed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i think that was a misquote

"And I think this new Star Wars could be the biggest movie ever."

http://www.slashfilm.com/steven-spielberg-force-awakens/

It's just filmmakers showing respect for other filmmakers. A director pissing on another director's failure is pretty low. Spielberg, Cameron et al have all made bad films that they are now embarrassed by. They didn't do it deliberately. Nobody sets out to make a bad film.

Case in point, Pegg's recent comments about Lucas and the prequels. Pegg still fancies himself a fanboy darling who understands what fans want and thinks he can say ****ty things about other filmmakers. In the meantime, Star Trek fans are sharpening their knives for him.

Anyway Spielberg didn't see the movie 3 times for nothing. He must have been giving JJ notes.

peteeeed wrote: »
    i think that was a misquote

"And I think this new Star Wars could be the biggest movie ever."

http://www.slashfilm.com/steven-spielberg-force-awakens/

Ah right, that makes more sense. It might be a tough job beating the 3.8billion dollars Avatar took in overall. The Phantom Menace took in just over 1billion.

Ah right, that makes more sense. It might be a tough job beating the 3.8billion dollars Avatar took in overall. The Phantom Menace took in just over 1billion.

there are a few predictions knocking about

http://deadline.com/2015/08/star-wars-the-force-awakens-box-office-global-record-predictions-1201505170/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a tough job beating the 3.8billion dollars Avatar got??????????

you gotta be kiddin The Force Awakens will blow it out of the water, mark my words....it has to be the most anticipated Movie ever!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

fryup wrote: »

you gotta be kiddin The Force Awakens will blow it out of the water, mark my words....it has to be the most anticipated Movie ever!!

I'd say if it gets good reviews it will sustain the momentum and overtake Avatar. But unlike the xmas Avatar came out on, there is some competition this year. Star Wars will canter in as the biggest film this year, but having decent competition will mean that some of the market share will be taken away from Star Wars so could end up closer to 2.3-5 billion than 2.8 billion

fryup wrote: »

So was the Phantom Menace

the thing is , i think this is a film people will go to see more than once in the cinema and 3d and imax prices

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

So was the Phantom Menace

Adjusting for inflation, Phantom Menace holds its own. Also, Phantom Menace was pants and that did a lot of damage. If Force Awakens actually lives up to the hype, it will most definitely give Avatar a run for its money.

It's tall order though, as a big advantage Avatar had was how heavily it invested in 3D which brought in more money than 2D tickets. That's the challenge facing Force Awakens IMO, can it get the 3D/IMAX sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i can't believe you people are even questioning how much it will gross....it will be an ATOMIC bomb of a hit !!

astronomical, monumental, historical

there will be people queuing around the block in every city across the world to see this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Hey folks. Its a few years since I was at the cinema so apologies if this is a stupid question. I was just wondering, can you go to your local cinema and book seats in advance. Or is it just a case of queuing up when the time comes. I can't wait for this. I grew up with the originals. Also, someone posted here and said its a year since the first trailer came out for this. Can't believe it. All hail the force.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Hey folks. Its a few years since I was at the cinema so apologies if this is a stupid question. I was just wondering, can you go to your local cinema and book seats in advance. Or is it just a case of queuing up when the time comes. I can't wait for this. I grew up with the originals. Also, someone posted here and said its a year since the first trailer came out for this. Can't believe it. All hail the force.

You can book tickets online for most cinemas or in sure you can go to your local cinema tomorrow maybe and buy some too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

david75 wrote: »
    You can book tickets online for most cinemas or in sure you can go to your local cinema tomorrow maybe and buy some too.

Cheers. I will check it out:)

Advertisement