Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

safetyboy wrote: »
    Carrie Fisher was asked to loose a lot of weight for the film.. hmm Hollywood..

As was Mark Hamull, perhaps even more so than Fisher.

So what? They were both in terrible shape and now look a lot better.

Did anyone think that any filmmaker would like to see a fat Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia return?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

This is an unconfirmed rumor, but interesting, regarding Maz Kanata's role being reduced in the final cut of the film.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-Wars-Force-Awakens-Final-Cut-May-Drastically-Reduce-One-Character-Role-97787.html
    In all of the trailers and TV spots, there hasn’t been much seen from Nyong’o’s character, one of the few completely CGI creations in the film named Maz Kanata. We’ve heard her voice, but aside from one quick glimpse in an ad (which has pretty well be scrubbed from the internet) and appearing on a poster, she’s remained relatively hidden.

According to a new report from the Sun, she had trouble with the motion capture process, and her role may have been reduced as a result. A source tells the tabloid:
    The CGI seemed to be what Lupita struggled with, perhaps because it meant she felt less of a connection to the character.

There was a general sense that something wasn’t working so a lot of her scenes ended up being either re-worked or cut. Unfortunately she just didn’t end up delivering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

david75 wrote: »
    This is an unconfirmed rumor, but interesting, regarding Maz Kanata's role being reduced in the final cut of the film.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-Wars-Force-Awakens-Final-Cut-May-Drastically-Reduce-One-Character-Role-97787.html
    In all of the trailers and TV spots, there hasn’t been much seen from Nyong’o’s character, one of the few completely CGI creations in the film named Maz Kanata. We’ve heard her voice, but aside from one quick glimpse in an ad (which has pretty well be scrubbed from the internet) and appearing on a poster, she’s remained relatively hidden.

According to a new report from the Sun, she had trouble with the motion capture process, and her role may have been reduced as a result. A source tells the tabloid:
    The CGI seemed to be what Lupita struggled with, perhaps because it meant she felt less of a connection to the character.

There was a general sense that something wasn’t working so a lot of her scenes ended up being either re-worked or cut. Unfortunately she just didn’t end up delivering.

Their source is The Sun newspaper, so I would take whatever they say with a massive pinch of salt. I'd imagine that such a product would be made primarily of salt.

While I'd normally agree with that view of the sun it's probably not entirely untrue or even exaggerated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I’ve been re-watching the original trilogy over the last week and it struck me just how character-driven they are — at least to a point. In fact, it’s when they let the plot (particularly the macro story of the Rebels versus the Empire) drive the story that they are weakest.

This more than anything is the problem with ROTJ. The film feels like its on rails. After the first act on Tatooine, the personal story of Luke and his friends that dominated the first two acts of ANH and almost the entirety of TESB gets supplanted by the story of the Rebels defeating the Empire.

I love the idea that the Emperor and Vader would have been killed at the end of ROTJ even if Luke hadn’t been there. That Luke’s whole journey took place in the shadow of a larger conflict. But I don’t like that all his friends are reduced to soldiers in that conflict and that we have to watch it. I care about Luke confronting his father, just as I cared about Leia trying to save Han from Boba Fett at the end TESB, but I don’t care about Han and Leia blowing up a shield generator.

Which I guess is the problem with the prequels as well. Lucas was more interested in the macro story of how the Republic became the Empire than he was in the personal story of Anakin, Obi-wan and Amidala.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Just finished watching the original trilogy too, why the hell did Lucas introduce that dialogue to Vader as he was watching the empire torture Luke ?

Him looking back and forth isn't enough to show conflict ?? :confused:

Also adding Hayden Christensen to the end of ROTJ bothers some people
    but this I actually liked, it tied it better to the prequels.

Now if he had replaced Alec Guinness with Ewan McGregor then yeah that would be annoying.

Also, I see in the celebration scenes a few Jar Jar Binks species dancing about - nice one Lucas ! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I watched the despecialized versions. I can’t abide the special editions — with one exception: I much prefer the newly recorded Williams music at the end of Jedi than the Ewok song in the theatrical version. Horrible way to end the trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I watched the despecialized versions. I can’t abide the special editions — with one exception: I much prefer the newly recorded Williams music at the end of Jedi than the Ewok song in the theatrical version. Horrible way to end the trilogy.

GTFO ->

Yub nub FTW.

Seriously though, poor old 'Return of the Jedi' really did suffer the worst with Lucas' appalling meddling. But the one thing is despise more than any other thing about those "special" editions is the end of Jedi. It's flat out the most idiotic thing he did. Turning a significant, but entirely local victory over the Empire into a, simply unbelievable and quite spontaneous, galaxy wide dismantling of the entire Empire. I did, actually, laugh out loud when I saw that in the cinema. It made absolutely no sense whatsoever and was utterly unnecessary. An entire Empire, which spans a galaxy suddenly decides, on the same day, to call it quits because the first and second in command get killed and their new toy got blown up?

WTF?

By the way, the only way I can look at those films is with those "despecialized" versions floating around webland. God bless whoever made them.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

Mark Hamill dresses up as a storm trooper :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7BwIyNN9rs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

He looks very well here. Before the helmet goes on lol

Wow he has trimmed up hasn't he ? !!

I just remembered too, Skellig Micheal ... can't bloody wait!!

Has anybody noticed that Anthony Daniels has gotten very quiet lately. He was all talk about the movie up to a month or so ago now you don't hear from him at all and he hasn't appeared on any talk shows recently, that I know of.

I know he did make a comment on the ridiculousness of the secrecy. Perhaps he got his knuckles rapped?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

py2006 wrote: »
    Has anybody noticed that Anthony Daniels has gotten very quiet lately. He was all talk about the movie up to a month or so ago now you don't hear from him at all and he hasn't appeared on any talk shows recently, that I know of.

I know he did make a comment on the ridiculousness of the secrecy. Perhaps he got his knuckles rapped?

Maybe, or it could be they're all sick of his attitude and don't want to book him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I have my despecialized VHS mid the 80's stored, must dig out a VHs player and give them a run... love the old nostalgic feeling from them.. used to watch 20mins each lunch time until i completed the set then again 6 months later...... not long to go now

Maybe, or it could be they're all sick of his attitude and don't want to book him.

I would say that's it, he is a moany ol f**k at the best of times, had the displeasure of meeting him, never again, full of his own self importance like he carries the Star Wars flame on his shoulders. :rolleyes:

I never realised peoples dislike for him until this thread. The bits I seen of him I always thought he was pleasant enough towards the interviewer or whomever. He does come across a bit camp and theatrical alright.

Abrams has dismissed the Sun’s fabricated story about Oscar-winning Lupita Nyong’o’s role being reduced due to her bad acting, comparing them to the Darth Jar Jar rumours.

http://pagesix.com/2015/12/03/j-j-abrams-slams-rumors-lupitas-star-wars-role-cut-back/

I never realised peoples dislike for him until this thread. The bits I seen of him I always thought he was pleasant enough towards the interviewer or whomever. He does come across a bit camp and theatrical alright.

the more i think about it I come to the conclusion that he treats Star Wars like Shakespeare's greatest works - and he is the sole torch bearer. to be honest he is completely camp playing a camp android - not a great leap acting wise

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's not so much that he's camp and theatrical. He's just a deeply unpleasant man to be around, by all accounts and full to the brim of his own self importance.

I rather have a pint with Kenny Baker, to be honest. He calls Daniels, "The Thesp"

Hilarious to think that one of cinema's greatest partnerships hated each other.

• Advertisement

Actually, how come Kenny Baker still plays R2D2 ?

Does he have some contractual agreement to play him ? he must, it has to be the easiest "acting" job ever, rolling about in a bin for some takes ..

Actually, how come Kenny Baker still plays R2D2 ?

Does he have some contractual agreement to play him ? he must, it has to be the easiest "acting" job ever, rolling about in a bin for some takes ..

He doesn't really play him anymore and hasn't since TPM. It's just an honorary credit.

He doesn't really play him anymore and hasn't since TPM. It's just an honorary credit.

ah ok !

but still, this honorary credit must be some legal obligation ? presumably he gets paid ?

stumbled across this on my star wars related browsing ..

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-Star-Wars-Nearly-Ruined-Natalie-Portman-Career-68716.html

Natalie Portman says star wars nearly ruined her career, well ... apart from V for Vendetta and Black Swan
    she's hardly been in a crop of great films has she ?

shes been in an awfull lot of sh*te ...

david75 wrote: »
    While I'd normally agree with that view of the sun it's probably not entirely untrue or even exaggerated.

See Below.
    Abrams has dismissed the Sun’s fabricated story about Oscar-winning Lupita Nyong’o’s role being reduced due to her bad acting, comparing them to the Darth Jar Jar rumours.

http://pagesix.com/2015/12/03/j-j-abrams-slams-rumors-lupitas-star-wars-role-cut-back/

Shocking :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's not so much that he's camp and theatrical. He's just a deeply unpleasant man to be around, by all accounts and full to the brim of his own self importance.

I rather have a pint with Kenny Baker, to be honest. He calls Daniels, "The Thesp"

Hilarious to think that one of cinema's greatest partnerships hated each other.

Yeah the Justin lee colins show where he trys to bring them together is a good watch, Daniels comes across as a real cvnt. Felt sorry for poor Baker seems dead on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Maybe that was reason why Attack of the Clones was so bad. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

What a dude, he seems to have a very nice nature about him.

Got ****faced and watched Harmy's de-specialized edition of New hope last night.

Its been years and Ive been saving it for this month, but I was really, really impressed on how the movie has held up.

What I also really noticed it how well put together the movie is, its just great scene after great scene,no fat, it just flows along and does not let you go.

@ 2.33mins here, I was yelling and wooping at the screen:

Christ I'm gonna be tearful mess when I get to see this...

Possible major spoiler by Ford (I think) in daily mail app this morning and prob elsewhere.

Avoid

• Advertisement

Possible major spoiler by Ford (I think) in daily mail app this morning and prob elsewhere.

Avoid

Avoid the Daily Mail? Surely that should have been the case before this.

Advertisement