Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Im seeing it in there earlier that day at 1pm. Must check how the seats are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Going to a suburban screening earlier in the day, is still looking fairly empty. Think with the right audience a packed screening could be amazing though. Saw The Dark Knight in Savoy on the first day and the atmosphere was electric.

david75 wrote: »
    Im seeing it in there earlier that day at 1pm. Must check how the seats are

Looks like most of the audience at the one I'm attending booked on their phones. The left side of the cinema is far more full than the right haha!

The seat option doesn't scroll over in panorama/phone sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,975 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

e_e wrote: »
    asdsaas.png

Screen 1 of the Savoy opening night. :P

The hype is so real now.

Has Screen 1 in the Savoy been upgraded or revamped recently I see its now called the Galactic screen.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Yeah, you'll wanna get there early. :D

Seats selected

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

AMKC wrote: »
    Has Screen 1 in the Savoy been upgraded or revamped recently I see its now called the Galactic screen.

They've rebranded it, couldn't notice any discernible difference with the image or sound quality to be honest though, if indeed there was any.

What I did notice were the gigantic, unnecessary garish 'Galactic' banners occupying the side walls, which significantly detracts from the traditional old school ambience of the place :/

Frankly I think most of the rebrands and premium screens in cinemas these days are total nonsense designed primarily to add a few euro to the ticket price. That said, the Omniplex seats are pretty lavish :pac:

Lighthouse added two 9AM screenings opening day, fecking hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

A lot of stuff went down last night. The highlight being that a certain movie news site was asked by Disney to remove certain information from one of their shows, pertaining to TFA. Not spoiling it here, but it's information people have been speculating on from day one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Lighthouse added two 9AM screenings opening day, fecking hell!

It says it's for mothers holding a child. Do I have to bring a toy baby to get in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Some mean person who obviously is not on the same hype train as me shared this with me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

asdsaas.png

Screen 1 of the Savoy opening night. :P

The hype is so real now.

This is gonna be so good! Im sitting in row h. Now the big decision is whether i bring my lightsaber :D

Cant wait to see the big Star Wars logo kick in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Some mean person who obviously is not on the same hype train as me shared this with me :(

"Everyone's going to say it, little Anakin Skywalker stole that movie"
    oh deaaar

Reminds me of the fan story in this, ouch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I recall the initial reactions to TPM being actually very fair and balanced. People pointed out the flaws (inexpressive performances, clunky dialogue) while acknowledging the good things (the visual imagination, the pod race and lightsaber duel). It was possible to that then. Before the bitter and enraged "George raped my childhood" element of the fandom dominated all discussion of the prequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That was just denial.

After the dust settled and reality kicked in, most people realised what they had actually seen.

I did myself. I just didn't want to admit to what I had watched.

This is gonna be so good! Im sitting in row h. Now the big decision is whether i bring my lightsaber :D

Cant wait to see the big Star Wars logo kick in!

If you do I will slap you with it

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

py2006 wrote: »
    If you I will slap you with it

Anger leads to hate, hate leads to......my ass being kicked by py2006 :P

[IMG]http://i1.wp.com/starwarsunity.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/chewie.jpg?resize=600,900" alt="New Force Awakens Images - Hux, Kylo, BB-8, Rey, Poe, and an AT-AT!">[/IMG]

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I recall the initial reactions to TPM being actually very fair and balanced. [...] It was possible to do that then. Before the bitter and enraged "George raped my childhood" element of the fandom dominated all discussion of the prequels.

That's a great point. I think a lot of people work themselves up into a frenzy, feeding off others' negativity, highlighting nitpicks rather than the overall film. Not huge on reactions being initially overwhelmingly positive, and then more negative as time goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,294 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

id say people will be in tears watching this. Is this the biggest movie release in quite a few years ???

I just hope it isn't full of loud people who think its perfectly acceptable to talk/text throughout.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, he repeated his previously stated dislike for 3D on Howard Stern recently. He's been refreshingly honest, but 3D ticket sales are a significant source of revenue which he can't be seen to be sabotaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

PTH2009 wrote: »
    id say people will be in tears watching this. Is this the biggest movie release in quite a few years ???

Anytime I see the main intro and theme on the big screen I well up these films have a very close place to my heart due to a very personal issue(think I explained it earlier in the thread).

I'm sure there will be tears.

Kinda looks Xmasy...

yvVRon8.jpg

I'm prepping for tears of long lost love and joy at the start.

There'll be tears at the end too but I'm not sure what kind they'll be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

py2006 wrote: »
    [IMG]http://i1.wp.com/starwarsunity.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/chewie.jpg?resize=600,900" alt="New Force Awakens Images - Hux, Kylo, BB-8, Rey, Poe, and an AT-AT!">[/IMG]

I would... just sayin' :D

Falthyron wrote: »
    I would... just sayin' :D

Is it the extra shampoo/conditioner he appears to be using?

• Advertisement

Harrison Ford Says Han Solo's Lines in The Force Awakens Trailers Aren't What They Seem

When Han Solo declared “Chewie, we’re home” in the second trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, it brought tears to even most hardened fans. And in another trailer, he thrilled us by declaring, “It’s true, all of it.” But Harrison Ford says both those lines are being wildly misinterpreted.

Though he’s now in his seventies, Ford is cooler than ever. Talking to him, you almost forget all the incredible movies he’s been in. The things he’s seen and done. He doesn’t seem to care, so why should you? It’s not until after shaking his hand and leaving the room that his momentous historical presence takes over. This isn’t just Han Solo, it’s Indiana Jones, it’s Rick Deckard, Jack Ryan, Richard Kimble and a dozen others all rolled into one.

He’s a living legend, so when he tells us there’s more to those lines from the trailers than we realize, we listen.

“‘Chewie, we’re home,’ is about something else,” Ford told io9 when we asked if this line was referring to the Millennium Falcon. “It’s about [director] JJ [Abrams]’ genius—because it’s preceded with new characters and new stuff, all of which is really intriguing. It’s like walking up to a new house and then you get a glimpse through the window of the new stuff inside. Then ‘Chewie, we’re home’ is the key in the lock that opens the door. To your memories, your emotional memories of the thing. It’s not about Han. It’s not about Han and Chewie. It’s about triggering the memory of the experience.”

So the role the line plays in the trailer is completely different than how it plays in the movie itself.

And the same goes for “It’s true, all of it”—which seems like a surprising statement, coming from Han Solo.

“By the time you get to the ‘It’s all true’ part of the movie, there’s a big, full story that fills the frame, and it’s not all about Han,” Ford says. “But in the context of Han’s story, you will learn about things that have occurred offstage in the intervening years, which will lead you to an understanding of why he is capable now of saying the things he says.”

Han Solo saying the Force, Jedi and Dark Side are real is not only in direct contrast with the skeptical Han Solo of old (“Hokey Religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid”), it’s in contrast to Ford’s idea of why Solo became such an icon in the first place.

“He offers you the easy way in to the story because he opens the door of irony,” Ford explained. “So you don’t have to be a true believer to get into the story. There’s somebody there representing you saying, ‘What, really? Are you sure? I’m not so sure.’ And that’s what gives you the liberty of being in the church before you really are asked to believe.”

Ford pauses. “I just made that up. Total bull****. But if you buy that, I’ve got a whole bridge.”

Talking to Harrison Ford, you not only buy that, you buy the bridge and everything else. You also buy that as much as Han Solo and his other characters mean to audiences, they mean something totally different to him.

For example, when asked if he feels ownership towards Solo, especially in light of upcoming movies and novels featuring the character, Ford talks in much broader strokes.

“He belongs to whoever has a use for him,” Ford says. “I always felt that the job of the actor was to identify the utility of the character to the story, and to try and forge an alloy between the character and the story that make each element valuable to the other. What’s the utility of the character in the telling of the story? And what does the story give the character as a platform? Story is always bigger. So what can you do to make yourself useful?”

Ford makes himself useful in The Force Awakens, not only by reprising his role, but by playing a mentor to the brand new characters, like Finn and Rey. Yet this wasn’t something that immediately struck the actor as a good idea.

“My interest was piqued when George [Lucas] first mentioned it. But I really was convinced in stages by, first, the script and to the participation of J.J. and the participation of Larry Kasdan,” Ford says. “The shape it all took—and [then] I was intrigued by it.”

Advertisement