Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I don't see that as saying there'll be more than one film every other year, but that the one film that comes out every other year won't necessarily be a numbered continuation of the mainline saga, but sometimes a spin-off. More than one film a year would definitely be overkill, and could end up destroying the franchise, financially as well as creatively.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Maybe but that would mean a 4 year gap or more between episodes of the Skywalker trilogy. That's too long. If the Marvel franchise can survive having more than one film released a year then so can Star Wars.

But Marvel isn't one franchise; it's many, with characters which are famous in their own right (Spiderman, Captain America, Thor). Same with DC universe: having a Superman and a Batman film both coming out the same summer would be no big deal, as they are both familiar characters long-established in popular culture, with their own distinctive settings (the bright, shiny optimism of Metropolis versus the dark, gloomy Gotham) and their own separate sets of villains. I doubt many people even realise that they are supposed to part of the same universe; it's the characters that are famous, not DC's world.

The same isn't true of Star Wars. Sure, you could have say a Han Solo spin-off showing what he got up to before he became embroiled in the rebellion, but the Star Wars universe doesn't have the same breadth as those comic franchises, and thus I don't think it has the same potential (yet) to have multiple big screen iterations in cinemas at the same time.

Also, there were 4 years between The Dark Knight and ...Rises, a trilogy which took a total of 7 years to complete, so I don't think a 4 year gap is that major a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Kinski wrote: »
    But Marvel isn't one franchise; it's many, with characters which are famous in their own right (Spiderman, Captain America, Thor). Same with DC universe: having a Superman and a Batman film both coming out the same summer would be no big deal, as they are both familiar characters long-established in popular culture, with their own distinctive settings (the bright, shiny optimism of Metropolis versus the dark, gloomy Gotham) and their own separate sets of villains. I doubt many people even realise that they are supposed to part of the same universe; it's the characters that are famous, not DC's world.

The same isn't true of Star Wars. Sure, you could have say a Han Solo spin-off showing what he got up to before he became embroiled in the rebellion, but the Star Wars universe doesn't have the same breadth as those comic franchises, and thus I don't think it has the same potential (yet) to have multiple big screen iterations in cinemas at the same time.

Also, there were 4 years between The Dark Knight and ...Rises, a trilogy which took a total of 7 years to complete, so I don't think a 4 year gap is that major a problem.

The Star Wars universe is just as big as the Marvel and DC Universe and Disney could easily have a couple films out a year with loose connections/cameos just like Marvel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

the Star Wars universe doesn't have the same breadth as those comic franchises

Most people watching Iron man and Thor movies have never seen either of those characters before. Black Widow, Nick Fury, that legolas guy, all new to the public. The first two Hulk movies were not hits.

What's different about the recent Marvel movies is not the deep background, dedicated fans or breadth of the franchise: it's that they are pretty good movies.

There's plenty of room in the Star Wars franchise for lots and lots of movies, but only if they are good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It looks like Zack Synder is going to be directing one of the Star Wars spin-off films that Kasdan and Kinberg are working on. This isn't Episode 7 but rather a standalone film which will apparently be based on Seven Samurai.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/zack-snyder-preps-non-trilogy-star-wars-film.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

300, Watchmen, Superman and now Star Wars - huh; I mean say what you like about Synders ability as a director, but as a geek he's pretty much getting to live out his dreams, so fair play to him.

Disney aren't kidding around though are they; the 3 new episodes, this Synder-driven vehicle & no doubt there'll be more announcements to come (wonder where all this leaves the mythical live-action TV show). I'd wonder if saturation point might be quickly reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

It looks like Zack Synder is going to be directing one of the Star Wars spin-off films

vader.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

pixelburp wrote: »
    300, Watchmen, Superman and now Star Wars - huh; I mean say what you like about Synders ability as a director, but as a geek he's pretty much getting to live out his dreams, so fair play to him.

Disney aren't kidding around though are they; the 3 new episodes, this Synder-driven vehicle & no doubt there'll be more announcements to come (wonder where all this leaves the mythical live-action TV show). I'd wonder if saturation point might be quickly reached.

That was exactly the first thing I thought after reading it, with the new trilogy, this and plenty other announcements to come im fearful it will reach a point were people will grow sick of seeing everything Star Wars related with Disney throwing it at them from every angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think if the S.H.I.E.L.D tv show does well we might see a Star Wars one follow it. One interesting thing about the appointment of Snyder is how the movies will look. He has a certain visual style and it will be interesting to see if Disney try and maintain a similar aesthetic throughout their output or if each series of movies will have a different look.

• Advertisement

The problem I forsee is not saturation but that "Star Wars" will just become a rubber-stamp they put on any sci-fi script in the pipeline. In time the word "Star Wars" will no longer mean anything.

Already this news of a 'Shichinin no Samurai' in space seems to be confirming my suspicions.

They've already tried this with the Clone Wars TV show (several episodes are basically just rehashes of classic movies like Samurai and the Adventures of Robin Hood etc) and imho these result in very weak "locked-in" storylines that don't even feel like Star Wars.

A loose-remake movie of Seven Samurai...original.

roanoke wrote: »
    The problem I forsee is not saturation but that "Star Wars" will just become a rubber-stamp they put on any sci-fi script in the pipeline. In time the word "Star Wars" will no longer mean anything.

Already this news of a 'Shichinin no Samurai' in space seems to be confirming my suspicions.

They've already tried this with the Clone Wars TV show (several episodes are basically just rehashes of classic movies like Samurai and the Adventures of Robin Hood etc) and imho these result in very weak "locked-in" storylines that don't even feel like Star Wars.

Star Wars itself was partly based on Hidden Fortress, though, so this is nothing new. But it would have to be pretty loose, since Samurai's story is already overfamiliar (though maybe not for viewers aged 14, so that might not even matter.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

I'd wonder if saturation point might be quickly reached.
    there doing it right now with Sherlock Holmes, you have the BBC version (Sherlock), the american version (Elementary) and also the films with Robert Downey Jr,

they ran 2 Star Trek series at the same time in the late 90s (Voyager, DS9) while also making TNG films,

if they do it right theyll make a mint, hell even if they half arse it theyll make money, but with disney investing $4billion i think theyll want to do a god job,

i wouldnt mins seeing Snyder make a go of a film, hes a good director, he can make it look really good, i think it will come down to how good the script is and what actors they get for it,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

A loose-remake movie of Seven Samurai...original.

Doing it with Jedi. How can they go wrong?

I must've been the only person in the world who actually liked Watchmen. Although part of that was down to the incredible soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

The soundtrack was incredible in CD form. But not in the actual film itself.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think Snyder's visual flair could lend itself to a Star Wars film pretty well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Akira Kurosawa > 'Old' George Lucas > 'New' George Lucas ≥ Zack Snyder.

And we can all rest easy since the rumour is supposedly le **** de bull: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-shoots-down-report-412336

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Snyder is surely not behind "new" George Lucas. His hack level is most definitely overstated IMHO.

And the director of Episode 7 is...

*drumroll*

J.J. Abrams

Let the whining begin!

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/jj-abrams-set-direct-next-star-wars-film-exclusive-74596

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Perfect choice if you ask me.
    No, there won't be lens flare everywhere.

Now, I can get hyped. This man hasn't ****ed up yet and his star trek movie is a better star wars movie than the prequels.

No direct quotes sir, no direct quotes. For shame. :pac:

Wow. That's a major bit of news! Can't say I'm happy about it in the slightest, but I'll save my whining for elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

I'm more interested to see what extents Disney will market the new film, rather than the new film itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Star Wars VII: The Lens Flare Strikes Back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow, Star Wars and Star Trek?
    Dunno why, but that kinda feels weird that he's directing both. Like he's playing for both teams or something hehe

Could be interesting though; the scriptwriter was the lynchpin in all this anyway, and with Michael Arndt announced my main concern about the film was lessened.

If true Abrams is probably done with Trek. It reminds me of Singer and how his "passion project" made him jump from a perfectly poised X-Men franchise to Superman Returns.

If he is directing Episode 7, I'd put money on him not doing another Trek film.

My interest in this just shot up. I never in a million years thought it would be Abrams due to his current association with Star Trek. But tbh he is the perfect choice. He's the closest heir to late '70s/early '80s Spielberg, the guy who everyone kinda wishes had directed ROTJ. It's just a shame that this most likely means no J.J. directed Star Trek 3. And I can't help but fear that this may turn out to be a repeat of what happened when Bryan Singer abandoned X-Men 3 for his dream project.

EDIT: S. De Sousa just said the exact same thing. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Wow, Star Wars and Star Trek?
    Dunno why, but that kinda feels weird that he's directing both. Like he's playing for both teams or something hehe

Could be interesting though; the scriptwriter was the lynchpin in all this anyway, and with Michael Arndt announced my main concern about the film was lessened.

My feelings exactly.

• Advertisement

It'll be interesting to see if Abrams taps the acting pool he's established in the trek series. Pine has the whole anti-hero Solo thing going on, while I reckon Cumberbatch and Quinto could give us a good Sith.

Advertisement