Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Is this a dead cert to be widely considered the greatest ever star wars film? Unquestionably? As if, if you suggested the idea that any of the other 6 films were better that would be laughable now?

I was watching the press preview on Sky News there amongst other programmes suggesting this and that's its a strong contender to be the GREATEST film of all time!

High praise indeed! The GOAT film lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Is this a dead cert to be widely considered the greatest ever star wars film? Unquestionably? As if, if you suggested the idea that any of the other 6 films were better that would be laughable now?

I was watching the press preview on Sky News there amongst other programmes suggesting this and that's its a strong contender to be the GREATEST film of all time!

Yes, not having seen it I can confirm without a doubt it is the GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD .....until the sequel comes out.
    The highlight for me was an obviously drunk Harrison Ford at the premiere thanking his lucky stars that this time round he's on a percentage rather then a fee. He was muttering other rubbish but I know that greedy little twinkle when I see it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Nothing can eclipse the original films as an entirety..but so far?
    this one is up there with Empire. Not kiddin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Utter nonsense, Transformers 5 isn't even out yet! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Clem H Fandango

Have just seen it in 2D, thanks to a press invite from my brother, I'd give it a solid 8/10, the film flew by. I wont give any spoilers or a hint to certain events, but I'd say it's the 2nd best film for me, maybe 3rd best if I was being critical on 2 plot points but I would have to watch it again to judge. One of the alien creatures near the start has the most godawful sound effect I've ever heard though, crazy frog bad:P
    Kudos to John Williams score however, stunning throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Perhaps a little of topic but, Kevin smith posted this on facebook, thought I'd share because it was a pretty cool.
    This is my invite to the @starwars The Force Awakens premiere that happened last night in Hollywood, a mere 4 blocks from my house. And I hear it was spectacular. See, instead of sitting my fat ass at ‪#‎graumans‬ going ape-**** for the return of Han, Luke & Leia, I was on the @comedyworksdenver stage saying stuff to a bunch of awesome people who'd sold out my Q&A shows months in advance. You can probably imagine how thrilled I was to get that premiere invite and how crushed I was when I realized the Force awakened on a night I was already engaged elsewhere. The choice was simple: stay home and be a fan or go to Denver and be true to the fans. And as I sit here in the Hoth-like Colorado snow reading all the online coverage about the once-in-a-lifetime premiere's legions of Stormtroopers and the early rave reactions to JJ's brilliance, you'd think I'd be as violently hostile as a Kylo Ren. But as much as I love being a fan, I love having fans way more. So while being at ‪#‎graumanschinesetheatre‬ yesterday would've been a night to remember for a lifelong ‪#‎starwars‬ fan like me, my fans always come first. ****, I have so few, I feel like I know most of you by name. And you folks in Denver made missing that premiere way worth it. I'm looking forward to the rest of my Colorado shows in C.Springs, Boulder, Durango & Aspen this week, but last night's Denver crowd will forever hold a piece of my heart as the people I put before Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

True dat.

'Sith' has some well executed scenes.... the opening battle scene was quite good & the final confrontation between Anakin & Obiwan was again quite good...

but the "fall" was, I thought, surely some sort of glitch in the editorial room..
    It was so brief... so convoluted & so trivial, Padme may get hurt... ergo I must turn evil & slaughter younglings..

It was a tragic waste of what was/is such an iconic fall from grace.

I disagree with the Anakin/Obi Wan confrontation. it was ruined by CGI. What was going on on Mustafar? It was chaotic. The battle between Yoda and Sidious was much better IMO.

Review embargo is 1 minute away from being lifted.

There's gonna be tons of spoilers. I'd suggest avoid reading any of them. And avoid Twitter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Spoiler free review. First I've seen.

http://www.scannain.com/movie/star-wars-the-force-awakens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

First review for the movie I've found that doesn't sing its praises. Again spoiler free.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/74000

I've read quite a few reviews now. Most are talking too much about the nostalgia feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,876 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Most reviews I've seen so far seem to lean to 4 out of 5 / 8 out of 10 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Maybe The Force is just a profound, evanescent human connection that transcends life and death and is readily available to everyone with the moxie and wherewithal to search for it. Maybe it’s completely untenable, like trembling with glee in a crowded room and not really knowing why.

Strong words there LittleWhiteLies, strong goddamn words :)

http://lwlies.com/reviews/star-wars-force-awakens/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Feel like a child on Christmas Eve! Can't wait for midnight tonight, when the lights go down, the curtains open and the score starts!

This is what cinema was invented for!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Feel like a child on Christmas Eve! Can't wait for midnight tonight, when the lights go down, the curtains open and the score starts!

This is what cinema was invented for!

Please delete, double posted . So excited I had to say it twice!

I'd be interested in reading a review from someone who isn't a big Star Wars fan. Anyone seen any?

Holy moley the hype is real...

Rotten Tomatoes @ 100% :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I Abrams said there wasn't, but is there any after credits /mid credits scene we should stay for? Heading tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

The fact that it has over 70 reviews on RT and is still at 100% pleases me, it kind of eases my fears that it would not be as good as expected.

Can't wait for this weekend.

faceman wrote: »
    I'd be interested in reading a review from someone who isn't a big Star Wars fan. Anyone seen any?
    Check in with Kermode on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The guy that does the movie reviews on Newstalk breakfast, John Kelleher isn't it, said it was a great 5 star movie, and he thought the last 3 were crap.

Roger Moore popped the 100% bubble, never liked him as Bond anyway. :pac:

Best review i've seen in managing to describe it perfectly and exactly as it is, without ruining anything whatsoever not even a tiny bit..http://mashable.com/2015/12/16/star-wars-force-awakens-spoiler-free/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link#pWK6zIMVSsqW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

As mentioned Kermode, check out his reviews of the prequels, they are funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Do I really have to stay off Facebook for 2 days now? Flippin' reviews EVERYWHERE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Could a complete newcomer who hasn't seen the previous 6 see it and still get what is going on?? I know it sounds practically unheard of :P

Could a complete newcomer who hasn't seen the previous 6 see it and still get what is going on?? I know it sounds practically unheard of :P

possibly? but itd be more enjoyable if youd watch the original trilogy tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Lol, I read one "spoiler-free" review and already guessed how the movie ends based on a complaint :pac:

Advertisement