Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

faceman wrote: »
    I'd be interested in reading a review from someone who isn't a big Star Wars fan. Anyone seen any?
    Here you go:
    http://letterboxd.com/metaflesh/film/star-wars-episode-vii-the-force-awakens/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Lol, I read one "spoiler-free" review and already guessed how the movie ends based on a complaint :pac:

It's only a matter of time before something is spoiled here. You can actually feel it building toward it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Any indication if this is worth watching in 3D?

The only showing I can get to tomorrow is in 3D, which I'd usually avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Doing my best to avoid any Star Wars thread on reddit, some **** decides to send a private message with a potential spoiler.

Some people deserve physical violence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A-Trak wrote: »

Abrams isn't a fan of 3D and the conversion was done at the studio's behest. Take that as you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Abrams isn't a fan of 3D and the conversion was done at the studio's behest. Take that as you will.

Balls. It's booked now anyway.
    Cheers Prof.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Spire looks amazing as a lightsaber..here it is lit up:)
    http://tinyurl.com/zquu7k2

A-Trak wrote: »

saw it in 3D and it really only was apparent during the big shots of star destroyers etc..it didnt distract from anything but id prefer see it in 2D

if a 3D showing is all you can find go for it.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

bilston wrote: »
    I disagree with the Anakin/Obi Wan confrontation. it was ruined by CGI. What was going on on Mustafar? It was chaotic. The battle between Yoda and Sidious was much better IMO.

And even at that they managed to get it wrong.

Palpatine referred to Luke's lightsaber in Return of the Jedi as "a Jedi's weapon" and openly mocks his skills as "feeble" and no match for the power of the dark side.

Palpatine was above using a lightsaber. As was Yoda. It was dumb seeing them face off using lightsaber, especially Yoda.

And Palpatine was almost a totally different character in Revenge of the Sith - instead of the ruthless cold calculating evil bastard he was in Return of the Jedi he was instead a cackling non stop comic book joker type who appeared to have lost his marbles.

If you see it in the Lighthouse the 2D version is playing on the bigger downstairs screens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hey guys,
    I had thought that IMAX would be the way to go......what do ye think!?

Cheers,
    M

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

madmoe wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I had thought that IMAX would be the way to go......what do ye think!?

Cheers,
    M

That's 3D as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Browsing through this thread (and the internet in general) really feels like a weird (less life threatening) version of russian roulette. At any moment you could be hit with a spoiler.. Booked in for Friday evening, just need to keep the head down til then

That's 3D as well.

Yep, so are most people against seeing it in 3D? Is it better to see it in 2D and if so why?

Thanks

Browsing through this thread (and the internet in general) really feels like a weird (less life threatening) version of russian roulette. At any moment you could be hit with a spoiler.. Booked in for Friday evening, just need to keep the head down til then

multiple ways to avoid spoilers
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/block-star-wars-spoilers_566f0e16e4b011b83a6c0874?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000022&section=weird-news

here's a great totally non spoiler review from a guy who writes for starwars.com
    i'd echo his sentiments. made me feel exactly the same way :)
    http://comicbook.com/2015/12/16/review-star-wars-the-force-awakens-surpassed-all-hopes/

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Booked for Sunday, I'm literally like a child waiting for this. I am just so happy the early reviews are so good. If anyone spoils it for me I will be done for murder!

Filmspotting just put their review up and it was a riveting conversation until they mentioned they were going into spoiler territory and I had to stop. :(

http://filmspotting.net/reviews/1412-star-wars-the-force-awakens.html
    Anyway the first 22 minutes are spoiler free. Best film podcast bar none imo, they always go deeper than other shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

david75 wrote: »
    here's a great totally non spoiler review from a guy who writes for starwars.com
    i'd echo his sentiments. made me feel exactly the same way :)
    http://comicbook.com/2015/12/16/review-star-wars-the-force-awakens-surpassed-all-hopes/

You can feel the emotion seeping through that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 dawnbuckley

Hi,

I don't know if it's a load of hype, but the new Star Wars sounds pretty good, at least as a cinematic experience. I've seen the original 3, but I've never seen the prequels. I don't really want to either, but do I need to see them to understand what 's going on in VII?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Thargor wrote:
    5 stars from Bradshaw.

Yep but worryingly he loves those disastrous Star Trek remakes by Abrams!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh yeah forgot about that...

I don't really want to either, but do I need to see them to understand what 's going on in VII?

Nah I really doubt they'll play into it at all.

Hi,

I don't know if it's a load of hype, but the new Star Wars sounds pretty good, at least as a cinematic experience. I've seen the original 3, but I've never seen the prequels. I don't really want to either, but do I need to see them to understand what 's going on in VII?

Thanks!

not at all not even once..they have zero bearing whatsoever on this film.
    it's amazing as a stand alone but even better if you have seen the original trilogy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Thargor wrote: »
    Yep but worryingly he loves those disastrous Star Trek remakes by Abrams!

And he gave Interstellar and The Prestige bad reviews ....
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I was unsure if Star Wars would usurp Avatar at the top of the box office and the reviews would go a long way towards determining it, but now that they are in and are hugely positive, Star Wars is for sure gonna stomp through the box office record and break the 3 billion worldwide gross

Are all you guys gonna see it in 2D then?

And he gave Interstellar and The Prestige bad reviews ....
    :mad:

do people really remember what reviewers impressions were? did their opinion alter your view of it after you'd seen it?
    I'm always wary of reviews, so definitely don't keep an eye on people who do it for a living, especially as they're usually cynical hacks who've seen too much and lost the joy in watching anything..

don't be mindin him..he's a dzope, in effect :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

madmoe wrote: »
    Are all you guys gonna see it in 2D then?

I will, best way to see it.

3D is a gimmick.

Advertisement