Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I will, best way to see it.

3D is a gimmick.

I'm starting to think the same......cheers for the feedback!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

madmoe wrote: »
    I'm starting to think the same......cheers for the feedback!

M

I would prefer to see it in 2D, but Screen 1 in Liffey Valley at midnight is showing it in 3D, so I am stuck with 3D, unfortunately. I will catch it in 2D after Christmas when it has quietened down a little. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Someone on reddit just posted photos of the key parts of the film including the ending. Be careful out there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm stuck with 3D too. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The 3D was grand lads..it's barely in it at all, only on a few big shots of Star Destroyers..don't remember it being used at all apart from that?

Nor any lens flare...

• Advertisement

david75 wrote: »

Nor any lens flare...

No lens flare?! I'm out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

possibly? but itd be more enjoyable if youd watch the original trilogy tbh

Not me its the o/h i'm wondering for :P

Not me its the o/h i'm wondering for :P

Even more emphatically telling you to definitely not show the OH..no way will she go to this with you..the prequels are atrocious..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

**** it, I've no one to go with tonight and the young lad isn't old enough for a midnight launch so I'm going to head into one of the midnight screenings by myself.

If you're in the Odeon tonight and see a mid-thirties guy in a light blue Galway Bay Brewing t-shirt say hi! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Browsing through this thread (and the internet in general) really feels like a weird (less life threatening) version of russian roulette. At any moment you could be hit with a spoiler.. Booked in for Friday evening, just need to keep the head down til then

Am going to see it tomorrow myself. Can,t wait.
    m seeing it in 2D the best way.
    3D is just a money making gimmick.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

4.5 hours till Cineworld party....

I'm vibrating with anticipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Basq wrote: »
    Most reviews I've seen so far seem to lean to 4 out of 5 / 8 out of 10 etc.

Nah I'm finding very few reviews not giving it 5/5 or 10/10. Like I say its almost certainly going to be considered the GOAT star wars film (based on the reviews) to the point nobody will be bothering to the watch the originals anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,874 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Nah I'm finding very few reviews not giving it 5/5 or 10/10. Like I say its almost certainly going to be considered the GOAT star wars film (based on the reviews) to the point nobody will be bothering to the watch the originals anymore.
    To be fair, that was 18 minutes after the embargo..

.. and the 5 - 6 reviews I saw all were that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

What's Goat an abbreviation for these days?

What's Goat an abbreviation for these days?

Greatest Of All Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,874 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Falthyron wrote: »
    Greatest Of All Time.
    God.. how lazy are we becoming! :(

While i'm not willing to say it's greatest of all time it's up there with Empire for sure after one viewing..

but will it still be as good in a year? or five years? that's the test..the OT are eminently rewatchable..remains to be seen if these ones will be..though I think this will be..

Also, one review made a good point, if this film had been made first, we'd never allow the others to come close to it...

perhaps..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I haven't seem it, but the review in the IT today made sense to me.

Isn't it just more of the same? Nothing new or special about it. People are getting very excited mainly due to nostalgia (increased since the prequels were rubbish). The big test is whether this film is great as a standalone or is simply a decent film (would expect nothing less from JJ) but people are getting carried away since their childhood memories are being rekindled.

I genuinely do wonder what would the reaction be if Disney decided to reboot the prequels. If they chose to remake episodes I-III, picked leading directors, changed the events to coincide with the tone and model of episodes IV-VI, and ultimately released them again in cinemas, would there be widespread support or no reaction at all? I suppose the real question is: how important are the prequels to the Star Wars storyline, including episodes VII-IX?

Leroy42 wrote: »

Isn't it just more of the same? Nothing new or special about it. People are getting very excited mainly due to nostalgia (increased since the prequels were rubbish). The big test is whether this film is great as a standalone or is simply a decent film (would expect nothing less from JJ) but people are getting carried away since their childhood memories are being rekindled.

It actually works fine as a stand alone film on it's own..if you look at it ANH & ROTJ also both work as standalones...

There's LOADS new about this..the only thing it takes from the trilogy..themes. family, friendships, connections and the happiness but heartache that can bring..some winks and nods and chuckles to the past also, but we'd be freaking out if they weren't there, and theyre barely there..just enough to pay homage, not intrusive at all.

it needs to look and feel like the OT in the aesthetic, and you'll be delighted it does once you've seen it :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Leroy42 wrote: »

My thoughts exactly.

See it before prejudging would be best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Hi
    without giving any spoilers away, is there any part of the film where English is not spoken with subtitles ?

theres a couple of scenes where aliens are subtitled but only two i think?

also wasnt aware cinemas here have showings with subtitles for the hearing impaired! thats cool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Kalyke

What order should I watch previous Star Wars movies, chronologically or by episode number?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Falthyron wrote: »
    I genuinely do wonder what would the reaction be if Disney decided to reboot the prequels. If they chose to remake episodes I-III, picked leading directors, changed the events to coincide with the tone and model of episodes IV-VI, and ultimately released them again in cinemas, would there be widespread support or no reaction at all? I suppose the real question is: how important are the prequels to the Star Wars storyline, including episodes VII-IX?

They are crap but very relevant. The Star wars storyline is that life of anakin skywalker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

theres a couple of scenes where aliens are subtitled but only two i think?

also wasnt aware cinemas here have showings with subtitles for the hearing impaired! thats cool!!

Much dialog ?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭The barber of chewbacca

The original Guardian review of A New Hope. (Links to Empire & Jedi reviews at foot of article)

http://www.theguardian.com/film/from-the-archive-blog/2015/dec/16/star-wars-review-1977-derek-malcolm-?CMP=fb_gu

Just to answer the previous posts about us having a nostalgia orgy...THIS many critics would hardly take part in that in fairness

'The Force Awakens' Receives 97% Fresh Rating On Rotten Tomatoes

The popular critic review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes currently is listing Star Wars: The Force Awakens at 97%. Out of 140 total reviews, only 4 have been negative, with the average review scoring the film an 8.3/10.

According to the site, the critics' consensus is "packed with action and populated by both familiar faces and fresh blood, The Force Awakens successfully recalls the series' former glory while injecting it with renewed energy."

With the 97% fresh rating, 'The Force Awakens' surpasses previous films in the saga A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, which both have 94% fresh ratings.

Rotten Tomatoes has yet to post audience ratings, as the film has only opened in select counties.

Source: Rotten Tomatoes

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2015/12/the-force-awakens-receives-97-fresh.html

• Advertisement

Much dialog ?

no, less than a minute..great scene too:) you wouldnt need to even read it to get the gist of it:)

(i have a bad feeling about this)

:D

Advertisement