Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Remember the panic when Disney bought the rights!

Just have to look at the start of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Remember the panic when Disney bought the rights!

Just have to look at the start of this thread.

......and then when Abrams was attached......

sw-lens-flare.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqo1bBgfNk4MAj12xaDOBY15bBcR-kkiR1-_DHnrac93mcWB_CyA

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

I thought it was brilliant, edge of the seat, nail biting especially towards the end.

Kylo Ren is the standout for me, favorite character by far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

For anyone concerned that it's a direct lift and composition of the OT story & elemens, as has been said I think it needs that to start off with. Everything is now set up and the next director is great with telling a story so we're gonna get a lot of questions answered and the plot and lay of the intergalactic landscape filled out I think. (Meaning the First order and their motivations as well as Snoke & the dark side stuff).
    Not only that we'll have
    Luke training Rey. On the fly no doubt but that whole arc is gonna be wonderful!

I'm going again this afternoon having watched the all three theatrical versions of the OT last night. I'm comfortable ranking it among them.
    For me, it was glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

david75 wrote: »
    For anyone concerned that it's a direct lift and composition of the OT story & elemens, as has been said I think it needs that to start off with. Everything is now set up and the next director is great with telling a story so we're gonna get a lot of questions answered and the plot and lay of the intergalactic landscape filled out I think. (Meaning the First order and their motivations as well as Snoke & the dark side stuff).
    Not only that we'll have
    Luke training Rey. On the fly no doubt but that whole arc is gonna be wonderful!

I'm going again this afternoon having watched the all three theatrical versions of the OT last night. I'm comfortable ranking it among them.
    For me, it was glorious.

I am going again later as well. I am most interested in seeing:
    Rey's dream. Pretty sure I heard Yoda in there somewhere...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Jawgap wrote: »
    Went to 3D and it was grand - I doubt you miss anything by seeing it in 2D.

At one stage a Star Destroyer looked like it was in the cinema and there's a few nice shots of TIE fighters and X-Wing zooming in from the periphery.

The Star Destroyer was excellent in 3D.

Think I need to see it in 2D though as it gets to be a strain on the eyes after a while, and with the 3D your focus is forced to particular parts of the screen so I got the feeling I was missing other things going on as you are forced to focus on something in front of your face one moment and then 50m behind the screen the next.

Of course watching it during the middle of the night with tired eyes could have had something to do with that.

Big question for anyone who has seen it
    Reys 'force trip' or vision or whatever it was.
    What did you make of it? Was that her being awakened to the force?
    Did Luke leave that lightsaber there for her to find? Is that what was calling her?

So many questions about that bit

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Did Luke leave that lightsaber there for her to find? Is that what was calling her?

Seemed to just show her visions of what has happened in the past and what will happen in the future, e.g Knights of Ren killing perhaps Lukes students? Her impending battle with Kylo. I'd guess that Luke hasn't seen that lightsaber since Bespin. I'm gonna go with Rey is Luke's daughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Does anyone know when Star Wars VIII will be out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Seemed to just show her visions of what has happened in the past and what will happen in the future, e.g Knights of Ren killing perhaps Lukes students? Her impending battle with Kylo. I'd guess that Luke hasn't seen that lightsaber since Bespin. I'm gonna go with Rey is Luke's daughter.

I'd have said,
    cynically, it was a plot device to refresh our memories. But yes, it's also probably a sense of things yet to come. Is it not a bit obvious that Rey is Luke's daughter - almost too obvious? Maybe she is some relation of Obi-Wan, or Luke's niece? I presume the whole thing leads to a final confrontation between Rey and Ren, with Luke being sacrificed or sacrificing himself along the way - maybe at the end of the next film?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Stay off Boards, there's someone going around thanking posts with a spoiler as their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Stay off Boards, there's someone going around thanking posts with a spoiler as their name.

I'm just about to go to the film and it's spoiled for me now. (They actually posted in this thread with the spoiler username, now deleted )

So pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Duggy747 wrote: »

What was his name? Use spoiler tags!!!!!!
    Bet i know who it was, gob****e in a cowboy hat and bath robe in the point odeon last night, hypped up on too much 7up, and way past his bed time!

about Rey
    i think she probably is related...her farewell with Leia..the hug and may the force be with you, implies theyve at least had some sort of conversation if not connection..

who left her on Jakku? and why? Was Max von Sydows character the one looking after her initially?
    was he to give the map to Luke to her?

so many questions..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

If you don't want anything spoiled then get away from Boards.
    Some wanker has created a username spoiling a major plot point (I can assume it's a spolier, I haven't see the film yet) and is 'thanking' random posts on different forums.

What the hell is wrong with someone like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

What was his name? Use spoiler tags!!!!!!
    Bet i know who it was, gob****e in a cowboy hat and bath robe in the point odeon last night, hypped up on too much 7up, and way past his bed time!

Saw this guy too. What was the story there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Saw it last night, it was OK, nothing spectacular. Not sure how people are saying 'wow' or 'nail biting' as it's very very predictable. Too much fan service for my liking and not enough new ground covered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

about Rey
    i think she probably is related...her farewell with Leia..the hug and may the force be with you, implies theyve at least had some sort of conversation if not connection..
    I thought them hugging was weird.

Until that point she'd just been wanting to get back to Jakku, to wait for some unknown person who left her there and doesn't seem to know anyone off planet. Then she's hugging the rebellion general who to the best of her knowledge she's never met before as if they are life long buddies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

A-Trak wrote: »
    I'm just about to go to the film and it's spoiled for me now. (They actually posted in this thread with the spoiler username, now deleted )

So pissed off.

Don't worry about it, honestly. I had a fairly good idea that this specific thing was going to happen and the movie pretty much lets you know it's coming anyway.

It does not spoil it at all.

It's the same on IMDB for every single major release. Some people just can't help themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

robinph wrote: »

Until that point she'd just been wanting to get back to Jakku, to wait for some unknown person who left her there and doesn't seem to know anyone off planet. Then she's hugging the rebellion general who to the best of her knowledge she's never met before as if they are life long buddies.
    No, she gave up the thought of Jakku when she agreed with Maz Kanata that there's nothing for her there anymore. She didn't meet Leia before but she bonded with Han and presumably they would have some tine together before the Skellig mission.

• Advertisement

just reading on reddit that in the flashback you see the island and an ocean and Ren mentions it to her later in the interrogation..was she there with Luke as a child perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Saw it in 3d last night. Didnt think it added much and would have preferred 2d. Im gonna spoiler everything else.

My guess is that the part with Luke was either something to come or a vision of when Kylo killed all the other students. I figure that would be a great way to open the next movie. Two towers style. We would also get to see Luke do something.

Overall I was very happy with it. The first act was perfect. I can't think of a single fault in that period. It definitely had a few missteps after that. It is a solid 7/10 which is what I was hoping for.

So much of it was better than expected (BB8 was simply perfect) but the issues I had were:
    The new music was very poor. I was extremely disappointed with this as even the prequels had excellent pieces like Duel of the Fates, Anakin's Betrayal and Anakin vs Obiwan. During the battle when the A-wings first arrive flying over the lake, I expected something equally fitting and the score was so bad I found myself distracted by it.

Kylo Ren was fantastic until he took his helmet off. I realize this is just personal opinion but his character lost all weight for me when I saw the actor playing him. Not that he was bad or anything. He just looked completely out of place and didn't seem in any way convincing after that. I heard a few audible "eugh"s and "really?"s from the audience around me when the helmet came off.

Snoke was terrible. Looked like something that fell out of Clone Wars. I will be more than happy to be proven wrong in the later movies though.

Many interesting characters turned out to be very one dimensional or underused. I am hoping to see more of them in the other movies though. The main ones being the General and the Chrome trooper (im sure they have names but I went in blind last night and dont remember the exact details).

Overall the film did it's job perfectly in setting up the sequels and spin offs. It might not have been perfect but I want to see more of the universe.

mhge wrote: »
    No, she gave up the thought of Jakku when she agreed with Maz Kanata that there's nothing for her there anymore. She didn't meet Leia before but she bonded with Han and presumably they would have some tine together before the Skellig mission.
    I didn't get the impression that Han was particularly chatty with her though. :) He didn't seem to know her name until they landed on the planet that Maz Kanata was on, and this after she'd been fixing his spaceship for him for however long that hyperspace trip took in real time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Folks just a reminder that if you do want to avoid spoilers for a few days, unsubscribing from the thread is a good idea. We'll swat the trolls (if more arrive) when we can, but the film's out in the wild at the same time so you're best tuning out anyway if you want to go in blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Went to the irish premier in The savoy last night. Absolutely incredible. JJ Abrams has actually done it. It was amazing. A mix of new and old that felt totally tied in to the original trilogy while introducing a whole new element of humour that was never in any of the previous movies. I couldn't have wanted more. Even the 3D was brilliant and I usually hate 3d (bar Avatar) I will definitely rewatch this in the cinema, possibly even tonight as I already had it booked before getting a ticket for yesterday. Well worth the wait and brilliantly executed. I was concerned about my interest in the new cast and their storylines prior to watching but they have tied everything in perfectly...

The one thing that upsets me... and it depends on your opinion of the actor in general is the casting of Adam Driver. His face offends me. Knowing he was in this movie annoyed me and every time I saw his face and heard his voice (sans helmet) kind of ruined the scene. He's too skinny and too dweeby to be a threatening bad guy. But bar his stupid face this was a modern day masterpiece for the star wars universe. I only hope whoever takes over after JJ has learnt something because he fuckiing nailed it.

It did have a little bit of a "samey" feel to it at times though... like they were rehashing old plot lines, as in it didn't feel like a completely new story but kind of semi sequel, semi reebootish

Saw it in 3d last night. Didnt think it added much and would have preferred 2d. Im gonna spoiler everything else.

My guess is that the part with Luke was either something to come or a vision of when Kylo killed all the other students. I figure that would be a great way to open the next movie. Two towers style. We would also get to see Luke do something.

Overall I was very happy with it. The first act was perfect. I can't think of a single fault in that period. It definitely had a few missteps after that. It is a solid 7/10 which is what I was hoping for.

So much of it was better than expected (BB8 was simply perfect) but the issues I had were:
    The new music was very poor. I was extremely disappointed with this as even the prequels had excellent pieces like Duel of the Fates, Anakin's Betrayal and Anakin vs Obiwan. During the battle when the A-wings first arrive flying over the lake, I expected something equally fitting and the score was so bad I found myself distracted by it.

Kylo Ren was fantastic until he took his helmet off. I realize this is just personal opinion but his character lost all weight for me when I saw the actor playing him. Not that he was bad or anything. He just looked completely out of place and didn't seem in any way convincing after that. I heard a few audible "eugh"s and "really?"s from the audience around me when the helmet came off.

Snoke was terrible. Looked like something that fell out of Clone Wars. I will be more than happy to be proven wrong in the later movies though.

Many interesting characters turned out to be very one dimensional or underused. I am hoping to see more of them in the other movies though. The main ones being the General and the Chrome trooper (im sure they have names but I went in blind last night and dont remember the exact details).

Overall the film did it's job perfectly in setting up the sequels and spin offs. It might not have been perfect but I want to see more of the universe.

in relation to your point about Ren
    #
    i think thats the point. youre meant to feel that cos he feels that about himself too..hes not strong enough and doesnt have the evil gravitas he needs and is an insecure mess so hence the mask to imitate his hero Vader but also intimidate others..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I didn't get the impression that Han was particularly chatty with her though. :) He didn't seem to know her name until they landed on the planet that Maz Kanata was on, and this after she'd been fixing his spaceship for him for however long that hyperspace trip took in real time.
    Yeah they didn't have much time, the pace was frenetic! But I think him offering the job and her almost accepting was to indicate an exceptionally good relationship in the making. So I can absolutely see Leia wanting to spend time with her too, plus she must be aware now that Rey is no randomer!

#
    i think thats the point. youre meant to feel that cos he feels that about himself too..hes not strong enough and doesnt have the evil gravitas he needs and is an insecure mess so hence the mask to imitate his hero Vader but also intimidate others..
    Speaking of imitating his ancestors... In the final fight it looked for one moment as if she chopped his hand off, but they didn't then show a hand lying in the snow so wasn't sure if I was just assuming that he was about to loose a hand in my own imagination. Guess they could leave it for the next episode, they are hardly going to have the heroine Rey as the one who looses a hand though are they?

Someones hand must be chopped off though.

also..
    when shes called downstairs and opens the box..
    pretty sure its the same box Obi Wan takes the lightsaber out from to give to Luke in ANH.. going again this afternoon, ill make sure to watch for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

#
    I get that. And they got the character state of mind across very well by the end. It was just the way he looked. If this is someone who has killed his classmates and fallen to the dark side he should at least look the part. Something simple like gaunt makeup would have gone a long way.

Advertisement