Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

robinph wrote: »
    Speaking of imitating his ancestors... In the final fight it looked for one moment as if she chopped his hand off, but they didn't then show a hand lying in the snow so wasn't sure if I was just assuming that he was about to loose a hand in my own imagination. Guess they could leave it for the next episode, they are hardly going to have the heroine Rey as the one who looses a hand though are they?

Someones hand must be chopped off though.
    Yes! It looked to me that she just let go of the lightsaber and as it fell it went through Kylo's arm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Yeah tbh i hated him too and thought he looks like a young spoiled brat professor Snape..

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Interesting to see the views on Kylo, I absolutely loved him.

It's just so different from everything we've had before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

david75 wrote: »
    Yeah tbh i hated him too and thought he looks like a young spoiled brat professor Snape..
    Probably the right look then for the kid of a hero of the rebellion and a rebel general, who then gets shipped off to boarding school run by his uncle. Think I'd be a bit pissed off with my lot in life as well if you'd had access to all the fancy life in civilised society and then get dumped on an island in the middle of the Atlantic with just a few sea birds for company. :)

Probably the right look then for the kid of a hero of the rebellion and a rebel general, who then gets shipped off to boarding school run by his uncle. Think I'd be a bit pissed off with my lot in life as well if you'd had access to all the fancy life in civilised society and then get dumped on an island in the middle of the Atlantic with just a few sea birds for company. :)

i lol'd :) perfect way of describing his rage :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I think they were going for the "gangly kid who becomes a school shooter" look, hence his fits of rage too. Very young but very damaged.

To me he looked a lot like Amy Winehouse sans eyeliner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

mhge wrote: »
    To me he looked a lot like Amy Winehouse sans eyeliner.

It was very big hair, could have done with visiting a stylist to tidy it up a bit though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No doubt there's an oddness
    when he first removes his helmet to reveal a mulleted Adam Driver
    , but the character is so consistently fascinating, conflicted and unhinged that I couldn't care less. Kylo Ren > Darth Vader, and
    not only because he's responsible for the single most emotionally charged moment in the franchise thus far

His performance made me think one thing

If only we'd seen Hayden Christensen give THIS kind of performance in Anakins transition to the dark side...

prequels would have had at least one saving grace if he had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Feck this spoiler tags messing, off to the Spoilers Beware thread in the Star Wars section!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

His performance made me think one thing

If only we'd seen Hayden Christensen give THIS kind of performance in Anakins transition to the dark side...

prequels would have had at least one saving grace if he had

I think that this time they went for plainer looking people but better actors, for better characters. The new four (Rey, Finn, Kylo, Poe) were all fantastic.
    Prequels will be completely unwatchable now.

mhge wrote: »
    I think that this time they went for plainer looking people but better actors, for better characters. The new four (Rey, Finn, Kylo, Poe) were all fantastic.
    Prequels will be completely unwatchable now.

oh absolutely, and fair play to them going that way, but i was just saying thats what i wish wed seen Anakin go through, that level of rage and lashing out/angry would have been brilliant to see in his transition to Vader

great catch from my pal-

- I felt that the desctruction of the Republic / Coruscant was a middle finger to the prequels. :lol:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

about Rey
    i think she probably is related...her farewell with Leia..the hug and may the force be with you, implies theyve at least had some sort of conversation if not connection..

who left her on Jakku? and why? Was Max von Sydows character the one looking after her initially?
    was he to give the map to Luke to her?

so many questions..
    Max is bobba i reckon, he's the right age and she is definitely queen amaidala's granddaughter, so probably Ren's sister who is thought to be dead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

From what i made of it though Luke wasn't training them on the island he moved there after Ren flipped out. He was in an academy with many others, who he butchered a la Anakin Skywalker style

From what i made of it though Luke wasn't training them on the island he moved there after Ren flipped out. He was in an academy with many others, who he butchered a la Anakin Skywalker style

Absolutely, I was just using a bit of artistic license in my psycho analysis of the back story... and making stuff up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

I don't think that Ren butchered the other students, I think he got them all to join him on the dark side, remember Snoke called him the "master of the knights of Ren" (or something like that) and we saw them all in Reys flashback.

As for Ren himself, I hated it when he wore the mask and loved it when he took the mask off, as others have written he seems so vulnerable and flawed... I would love him only for what he did on the gangway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

love it, have to see it again to really form up my thoughts. Loved how much of the skellilgs we saw...

geecee wrote: »
    I don't think that Ren butchered the other students, I think he got them all to join him on the dark side, remember Snoke called him the "master of the knights of Ren" (or something like that) and we saw them all in Reys flashback.

As for Ren himself, I hated it when he wore the mask and loved it when he took the mask off, as others have written he seems so vulnerable and flawed... I would love him only for what he did on the gangway!

We're told
    by han that Ren slaughtered the other students and Luke thought it was his fault that's why he left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

love it, have to see it again to really form up my thoughts. Loved how much of the skellilgs we saw...
    Yeah, there was at least two minutes of exposition and aerial shots on the Skelligs. You can tell the DOP and J.J. were so impressed with the place with the amount of time they gave it on screen.

The expression on Luke's face was perfect though. A mixture of shock, realisation, and burden. He seems extremely daunted by the task that is infront of him and rightfully so, as I reckon his confidence as a Jedi has been shaken with Kylo's failure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Anyone notice Finn pull Luke's training ball out of the bag in the Millennium Falcon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

geecee wrote: »

I just dont think he looks all that imposing, he definitely needs the mask for intimidation if nothing else. Darth Vader was a big fella, Darth Maul was quite big in stature and athletic.
    There is nothing menacing about Adam Driver, he just looks like a little spoilt pox bottle! And he basically had had his arse handed to him by someone with zero training in the force.
    if only they could have given the role to someone a little more manly. I mean when i think of weak men i think Justin Long and Adam Driver

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think the ideal watching order for new viewers is.

4,5,(1),2,3,7,6

(1) is optional.
    This might make the reveal of who Ren is as a better twist.

Come to think of it! In Screen 1 in Liffey Valley last night (apart from the delay due to wasters who got there late), the film started with the LucasFilm logo, followed by 'A long time ago', etc. We didn't see a Disney brand or logo at all. Was that the same for everyone? I wonder why that was done...

I just dont think he looks all that imposing, he definitely needs the mask for intimidation if nothing else. Darth Vader was a big fella, Darth Maul was quite big in stature and athletic.
    There is nothing menacing about Adam Driver, he just looks like a little spoilt pox bottle! And he basically had had his arse handed to him by someone with zero training in the force.
    if only they could have given the role to someone a little more manly. I mean when i think of weak men i think Justin Long and Adam Driver

All jedi are unimposing! Except Mace Windu and Darth Maul. The rest couldn't win a sports day egg and spoon race.

We don't know anything about his background.
    Maybe he was touted to be the next, leading Jedi who would really establish the Jedi under Luke's guidance, but something went wrong. Personally, I loved the idea that those who choose the darkside, struggle to contain the good within them and seek to drive it out. Had never really thought of that before, considering the films have always been about following the light and trying to prevent the darkside affecting you. The tantrums he throws are in-line with his personal struggle. He wants to feel aggression and act with anger, jealousy and hatred, the very traits of a true Sith, like Vader. But, its not in him, at least not fully. He is overcompensating and lashing out to (as he thinks) bring out or behave like a powerful Sith. Everything about Ren is erratic and full of conflict. His helmet, modelled on Vader's is damaged and scrappy. His saber is volatile and unstable - these are things Vader was not. Something happened between him and Luke that drove him to believe more in his grandfather than his uncle - hopefully we will find out what that something was in the next film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Loved the stormtroopers in this movie.

The "Aaaand I'll drop my weapon" line was brilliant.

Also the two troopers who hear Ren's tantrum and just turn around and walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Falthyron wrote: »
    Come to think of it! In Screen 1 in Liffey Valley last night (apart from the delay due to wasters who got there late), the film started with the LucasFilm logo, followed by 'A long time ago', etc. We didn't see a Disney brand or logo at all. Was that the same for everyone? I wonder why that was done...

Was the same in the odeon, say they know how loved all aspects of the film is, so didn't want to plaster Disney all over the beginning when they're 40yrs late to the party. I've a lot of respect for them for this

Mezz screen in DD didn't dim the lights until midway through the opening credits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

errlloyd wrote: »
    I think the ideal watching order for new viewers is.

4,5,(1),2,3,7,6

(1) is optional.
    This might make the reveal of who Ren is as a better twist.

4,5,3,6,7 for me (although I haven't 7 yet). I wouldn't bother with 1&2 but being the Star Wars geek I am I sort of feel I have to endure them.

Advertisement