Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

errlloyd wrote: »
    All jedi are unimposing! Except Mace Windu and Darth Maul. The rest couldn't win a sports day egg and spoon race.

Ewan McGregor isn't exactly butch (which is not what i'm suggesting i wanted for the character) but he is definitely more masculine in frame even in the phantom menace where he's quite young. Adam Driver is so frail looking, in every scene where you see him walking or moving it looks like a little boy/slim girl in costume. i Just dont buy him as a villain.

I'm not going to lie i really dislike him in general, so maybe i am biased i don't know. His stupid face just really irritates me. I cant stop seeing him in that awful movie with Ben Stiller! God i hate that guy....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

david75 wrote: »
    We're told
    by han that Ren slaughtered the other students and Luke thought it was his fault that's why he left
    But that is open to interpretation in the Star Wars universe as characters are always talking in terms of someone being killed by someone else, when both someones are actually the same someone. Kylo Ren was talking about having killed Ren Solo, and of course we already know that Darth Vader killed Anakin Skywalker "in a manner of speaking", so for the other students to have been slaughtered could easily be twisted to mean they just switched sides and started wearing black masks with voice distortion things installed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

robinph wrote: »
    But that is open to interpretation in the Star Wars universe as characters are always talking in terms of someone being killed by someone else, when both someones are actually the same someone. Kylo Ren was talking about having killed Ren Solo, and of course we already know that Darth Vader killed Anakin Skywalker "in a manner of speaking", so for the other students to have been slaughtered could easily be twisted to mean they just switched sides and started wearing black masks with voice distortion things installed.
    I might be wrong on this, but im pretty sure Han called Kylo "Ben" on the walkway, was i wrong? It was late.. but im nearly sure it was Ben

I might be wrong on this, but im pretty sure Han called Kylo "Ben" on the walkway, was i wrong? It was late.. but im nearly sure it was Ben
    I heard Ben too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

david75 wrote: »
    We're told
    by han that Ren slaughtered the other students and Luke thought it was his fault that's why he left

It might well mean
    that he built himself a small posse (that'll be the Knights of Ren) and together they murdered the rest of the class.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I heard Ben too

That's what I heard as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

It was 100% "Ben". He was Ben Solo until Snoke got a hold of him and gave him the name Kylo, then he joined the Knights of Ren.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

regarding the knights of ren
    They are very like the inquisitors from star wars rebels, there are seven of them, and they hunt jedi and potential jedi, seems very similiar to the knights of ren especially considering the rebels tv show is canon in the star wars universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I heard Ben too

yup after
    obi wan (old ben)

Tigger wrote: »
    yup after
    obi wan (old ben)

Ha for anyone interested dont go to wikipedia in search of clarification as they give away a massive spoiler if you haven't already seen the film!:pac::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

My heart, that got me way more than I expected. Fantastic movie. 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Really enjoyed it 8/10 from me, leaves me wanting more.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭irishgoldberg

I'm seeing it in the maxx screen in wexford in less than 2 hours, nor sure who is more excited, me or my son!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

e_e wrote: »
    Check in with Kermode on Friday.

ye can see it now.

"it was great....

...except for all the special effects"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

ye can see it now.

"it was great....

He loved Guardians of the Galaxy fwiw, plus I think it being shot on film and having such wonderful practical effects will score it points in its favor for him.

He'll compare it favorably to Empire Strikes Back, the only one not directed by Lucas. I'd bet money on it tbh. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭Whyohwhy?

ye can see it now.

"it was great....

The effects were grand, some stuff with the falcon was a little bit... Not the best if I'm honest, but generally very good.
    The x-wings are class! Especially poes, looks the business, they missed a trick with one scene with the x-wings, most will have seen it in the trailer, could have stretched it a little longer, it's savage looking but all to short.

Grand solid albeit very safe effort from abrams, not 10/10 but a solid 7.5/8 at a push imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Ewan McGregor isn't exactly butch (which is not what i'm suggesting i wanted for the character) but he is definitely more masculine in frame even in the phantom menace where he's quite young. Adam Driver is so frail looking, in every scene where you see him walking or moving it looks like a little boy/slim girl in costume. i Just dont buy him as a villain.
    this is one of my biggest issues with the film, its actually laughable! I mean we all know movies arent real, but its nice to believe and imagine a bit. The "baddies"were as intimidating as a room full of kittens!
    A mix of new and old that felt totally tied in to the original trilogy while introducing a whole new element of humour that was never in any of the previous movies.
    I didnt go to see a comedy, I thought it went a bit OTT with the constant humor they tried to throw into it...
    Too much fan service for my liking and not enough new ground covered.
    This!
    The whole thing is a bit too fast paced for my liking, so much of the movie is just too "we have to do this" rather than "why are we doing this", and thus never built any suspense. I felt the movie was being played in 1.5 speed.
    I agree, my mate said the same after we saw it last night...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Whyohwhy? wrote: »
    The effects were grand, some stuff with the falcon was a little bit... Not the best if I'm honest

I loved the retro style interface on the targeting system on the Millennium Falcon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Lads no spoiler

But read and really take in the scroll at the start.

If you keep that in mind there's a lot less confusion when you leave.

Report this post Delete post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Mezz screen in DD didn't dim the lights until midway through the opening credits.

Omniplex in Dundalk's screen cut out completely for 4 seconds during the opening crawl. and was shaky for about 5 seconds when it came back.

They've only just opened this week so I'll let them away with it but it was a tense few seconds..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Went to see it today.
    Surprised the 12 pm show in the light house was so empty.

Great film. Its on pre-order withZaavi for €34 :)

For those who havent seen it....there is a BA for Sphero reduced from 175 to 87.50 but with 2 codes reduced to 72 plus free express delivery

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭Whyohwhy?

I loved the retro style interface on the targeting system on the Millennium Falcon.

Well it's the falcon, it's been sitting for years... Why change that?
    I meant some of the flying shots with the falcon just didn't look right, one sequence in particular didn't really look right to me. Just that one really though. in general though everything was pretty damn slick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

eeguy wrote: »
    Loved the stormtroopers in this movie.

The "Aaaand I'll drop my weapon" line was brilliant.

Not sure if it's been mentioend but apparently that was Daniel Craig!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Loved the humour, but was there too much of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

8/10

Tried to fit too much in and the pace was too fast at times, but there was a lot to like. I'm still celebrating that it's not sh1te, so it'll soon sink in that it was also pretty damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Grayditch wrote: »
    8/10

Tried to fit too much in and the pace was too fast at times, but there was a lot to like. I'm still celebrating that it's not sh1te, so it'll soon sink in that it was also pretty damn good.

Yeah, I agree. Way too much happening. We're not given a chance to savor anything.

Liamario wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree. Way too much happening. We're not given a chance to savor anything.

Characters were so good, but not given the time to gel.

There was one absolutely stunning scene with TIE Fighters on a sunset that should have stayed a little longer. First time seeing a
    Jedi Vision
    (I think) and it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

I enjoyed it. There are a few flaws in there as well as too many "because the plot says so" conveniences. But on the whole i really enjoyed it, the actors were clearly having fun with it. Well worth it and need to see it a second time

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

I think it was a quality film. The 2nd film will probably be better simply down to Luke Skywalker.

• Advertisement

Luke Skywalker.

Who looked great.

Advertisement