Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

Grayditch wrote: »
    Who looked great.

obi wans beard and anakins hair is what i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

off to see it tonight.

cant wait.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

You would have been forgiven for thinking it was Tom Hanks on Castaway.

Kylo is a fantastic character. Best in the movie for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

Im glad it was dark in that cinema because I was blubbing my way through most of it.

For once the fans have not been let down.

The balance in the force is restored.

I cant think of a bad thing to say about the movie.

I really liked the actors and the acting also, a big relief from the prequels where I detested them apart from Liam and Ewan.

I need to have another cry/ lie down /get drunk /all three...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'd say it'll be a serious problem down in Ballinskelligs, UNESCO will only let about 100 per day visit the islands. In the movie they look ****ing class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,293 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i think luke will have to think about saving for his funeral. would make sense to kill him off and bring in a new era of jedi

the hair stands on the back of your neck when u see the star wars logo and the music hits.

Wheres Yoda ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I thought the Slavoj Zizek cameo at the end was a bit odd tbh. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Really enjoyed the film but felt the plot was very similar to
    A new hope, Im kind of fed up with giant weapon is a threat, lets go destroy it by shooting at the weak spot

It never did mention the source of Kylo's mask or much about the knights of ren and first order. There was a person who looked a lot like an inquisitor on a star destroyer. It feels a lot like a set up film with not much actually happening and being resolved in the film.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You would have been forgiven for thinking it was Tom Hanks on Castaway.

Nah, far too well fed from eating the sea birds I guess.

Thinking about it now though this could have been based on Castaway script, what was the name of that Stormtrooper at the start with blood on his helmet? It was Wilson short for Finn I think. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I smiled at all the under 40's who were at the screening and who wouldnt have seen the original screening 40 years ago :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭Whyohwhy?

Im glad it was dark in that cinema because I was blubbing my way through most of it.

For once the fans have not been let down.

The balance in the force is restored.

I cant think of a bad thing to say about the movie.

I really liked the actors and the acting also, a big relief from the prequels where I detested them apart from Liam and Ewan.

I need to have another cry/ lie down /get drunk /all three...

As much of a huge fan that I am of star wars... That's a bit much. It would have been very hard to limbo under the low bar set by the prequels in all honesty.

Its an enjoyable addition to the franchise for sure, but hardly worthy of tears of joy imo. It's good, certainly not great though. I'm waiting for the "full cut" I don't care if it's 4 hours long, there's so much that must have been committed to film that we haven't seen, that will make it epic I feel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Went to see it last night and left not really knowing what to think. I was so hyped and the pace of the movie is so fast that I came out not knowing if it was a good JJ Abrams space film or a good Star Wars film or both.

Went and watched it again today and watching it in a more relaxed way I think he has made a good Star Wars film. I stress the word good, the last few days have blown the hype out of the stratosphere for me, the likes of Bradshaw at the Guardian gushing over it meant that I really couldn't keep my expectations reasonable going in.

The film is a fun ride, which is exactly what it wanted to be, but if I'm honest it didn't have that Star Wars magic. I'll watch it a million more times and it's perhaps a better movie than RoTJ but it doesn't have that certain "feel" that I associate with Star Wars.

Anyway, enough of all that. I've a few questions that maybe some others who've seen the film can answer:
    1) Who is Rey? In the build up to the film the talk seemed nailed on that she was Han's daughter... I was waiting for a reveal that never came. Looking back on it there is a moment where Kylo Ren is interrogating her, probing her mind, and he sees an island in the sea. Has Rey been to Luke's planet before? Is she Luke's daughter?

2) Is Snoke actually that tall? I was half expecting a final scene with him being a few inches tall as a big reveal. We've been told he has "obvious weaknesses" but apart from his face I couldn't make out what they might be.

3) There was a rumour that Lupita Nyongyo didn't gel with the CGI acting. That a lot of Maz Kanata's scenes were removed. I had read somewhere else that there was to be a lot more exposition in the flashback scene in her castle... spelling out in more obvious terms what happened with Luke and Kylo. What are other's opinions? It seems to me that they might have removed some answers to allow for a few reveals in the next movie... the obvious one being Rey's background

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

It was good.....but not jaw-droppingly good.For me anyway.
    Maybe i've just become too cynical and a bit jaded regarding the over-hyped superhero movies that have been churned out every few months and have nearly always been a let down like Superman,Avengers and X MEN etc...
    Great to see all the old and new characters on the screen and there's certainly scope for at least 2 more movies.
    Kylo Ren is a fantastic baddie but Domhnall Gleeson was like something from an Xmas panto and as for Supreme Leader Snoke......Laughable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

In the cinema today, I had a chap round the same age as me sitting to my right, his son was next to him, and he was getting weepy n sniffly at the same points I was :) he was tryna hide it cos his young son, 8 or 9 was beside him. Warmed my heart so much :) the son never noticed. He was leaning forward jaw dropped and staring at the screen the whole time.

That's a great dad right there :)

david75 wrote: »
    In the cinema today, I had a chap round the same age as me sitting to my right, his son was next to him, and he was getting weepy n sniffly at the same points I was :) he was tryna hide it cos his young son, 8 or 9 was beside him. Warmed my heart so much :) the son never noticed. He was leaning forward jaw dropped and staring at the screen the whole time.

That's a great dad right there :)

Anyone under 12,thats a star wars fan already(through whatever means) is gonna be blown away by this in the cinema. It's their "a new hope", (it's pretty much the same story, slightly tweaked, it's too fcukin similar, trench run, thermal weakness on the super weapon....)

But if people are weeping/tearing up over this film... I don't know, it's not that good, it certainly brought a smile to my face, but tears?!?

Jay us I dunno about that at all.

(I must add the caveat, people's experiences are different and their emotional attachment is subjective, I don't want to offend anyone, I just think that weeping etc, over this addition to star wars is silly. And I am a fcukin massive fan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Went to see it last night and left not really knowing what to think. I was so hyped and the pace of the movie is so fast that I came out not knowing if it was a good JJ Abrams space film or a good Star Wars film or both.

Went and watched it again today and watching it in a more relaxed way I think he has made a good Star Wars film. I stress the word good, the last few days have blown the hype out of the stratosphere for me, the likes of Bradshaw at the Guardian gushing over it meant that I really couldn't keep my expectations reasonable going in.

The film is a fun ride, which is exactly what it wanted to be, but if I'm honest it didn't have that Star Wars magic. I'll watch it a million more times and it's perhaps a better movie than RoTJ but it doesn't have that certain "feel" that I associate with Star Wars.

Anyway, enough of all that. I've a few questions that maybe some others who've seen the film can answer:
    1) Who is Rey? In the build up to the film the talk seemed nailed on that she was Han's daughter... I was waiting for a reveal that never came. Looking back on it there is a moment where Kylo Ren is interrogating her, probing her mind, and he sees an island in the sea. Has Rey been to Luke's planet before? Is she Luke's daughter?

2) Is Snoke actually that tall? I was half expecting a final scene with him being a few inches tall as a big reveal. We've been told he has "obvious weaknesses" but apart from his face I couldn't make out what they might be.

3) There was a rumour that Lupita Nyongyo didn't gel with the CGI acting. That a lot of Maz Kanata's scenes were removed. I had read somewhere else that there was to be a lot more exposition in the flashback scene in her castle... spelling out in more obvious terms what happened with Luke and Kylo. What are other's opinions? It seems to me that they might have removed some answers to allow for a few reveals in the next movie... the obvious one being Rey's background
    She is a granddaughter of Queen Amadalia
    either by luke or by leia
    she was hidden on that planet by Max Von Snydo who i'm discussing here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057537819
    warning its speculatitave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

It was fun and I enjoyed it but I didn't love it. I think that was almost entirely down to
    Han's death. There was a lot of speculation from the last trailer that Rey was crying over Han's body. That didn't turn out to be the case but once I heard people speculating that I went into the film thinking "Just don't kill off Han." But I spent the whole film waiting for it to happen. So when it did, rather than being shocked or upset I was a bit deflated, like "Ah f-ck ye, ye did kill him off".

The film was way better than the prequels. Closer in spirit to the original trilogy. But at times it did feel like we were almost rehashing A New Hope. Meet a droid to kickstart a quest, meet with Han and Chewie, go on a rescue mission, shoot a hole in a weakpoint so the giant thing can be destroyed, older father figure dies at the hands of someone he used to be close to.

I thought the newer actors didn't bring a lot of charisma to the table. Except for Poe. I thought he was great and was sad to see him disappear for most of the film.

I also didn't really like some of the humour. At one point Fin is trying to get BB8 to give the location of the rebels and he says "Droid Please!" in the style of "Gurl Please!" which just seemed weird and out of place.

The whole way through the film I expected a reveal that Rey is Han and Leia's daughter. Maybe she's Luke's? I'm not really invested in her relationship with Fin because we don't know who either of them are, and this being Star Wars, they could be related.

I did enjoy it though. It was a strange sensation going to see it as I almost felt a pressure for it to be good. I think it will be much more enjoyable the 2nd time around when I can just sit back and enjoy it for what it is.

Still p!ssed off about Han though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Whyohwhy? wrote: »
    Anyone under 12,thats a star wars fan already(through whatever means) is gonna be blown away by this in the cinema. It's their "a new hope", (it's pretty much the same story, slightly tweaked, it's too fcukin similar, trench run, thermal weakness on the super weapon....)

But if people are weeping/tearing up over this film... I don't know, it's not that good, it certainly brought a smile to my face, but tears?!?

Jay us I dunno about that at all.

(I must add the caveat, people's experiences are different and their emotional attachment is subjective, I don't want to offend anyone, I just think that weeping etc, over this addition to star wars is silly. And I am a fcukin massive fan)

Some people are just more connected to their feelings or have a bigger connection to this than you do. That's fine. I'd rather have it mean more to me and be the weepy mess I was first time I saw it than not.

The thing is that with the hype involved, it was never going to live up to it, the secrecy etc... I have to say I am quite disappointed tbh, I was expecting progression, not the rehash and jumbled rework of the entire OT in one movie.

That said it's enjoyable enough but abrams played it way, way too safe. L. Kasdan undoubtedly helped it to feel true to the OT for sure but....

It's just not the film it should be, I think it was edited very badly tbh, what's on the cutting room floor?? I hope we find out.

• Advertisement

The thing is that with the hype involved, it was never going to live up to it, the secrecy etc... I have to say I am quite disappointed tbh, I was expecting progression, not the rehash and jumbled rework of the entire OT in one movie.

That said it's enjoyable enough but abrams played it way, way too safe. L. Kasdan undoubtedly helped it to feel true to the OT for sure but....

It's just not the film it should be, I think it was edited very badly tbh, what's on the cutting room floor?? I hope we find out.

Hang on, are you saying you want a special edition? :-)

david75 wrote: »
    Some people are just more connected to their feelings or have a bigger connection to this than you do. That's fine. I'd rather have it mean more to me and be the weepy mess I was first time I saw it than not.

I'm an emotional guy and I genuinely love it, I just couldn't gel with it that way, and I so wanted to.
    I understand your position all the same, I had to see it straight off the bat. Rather than try to resist the Internet spoilers...

I know the next episode will be better, it's been set up to be a cracker, I understand that this is the hook, next the line, then the sinker.i don't need encouraging!!

How long will the wait be though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I was very impressed by it. Full of great well-defined characters, a good mix of new and old, a healthy dose of humour (which I didn't think was excessive) and a driving kinetic energy. I love the level of character and humour they managed to get from a beeping / chirping ball :D

I'd place it:

ESB
    ANH
    TFA
    ROTJ

(there's probably about 30 mins of watchable moments in the entire prequel trilogy so they don't count.)

Overall, 8/10.

A few gripes:
    - I'm assuming Snoke will grow more important as the new trilogy progresses, like the emperor in the original trilogy. Therefore, I wish he was a live action character and not motion capture because I don't think they pulled off the CGI for him. It's fine for the fairly minor role he had in this movie but it will become even more problematic if his role increases later.
    - Maz's character didn't have the impact I think the filmmakers wanted her to have. She seems to be placed as this trilogy's Yoda but just comes across as a poor imitation of him.
    - The first act of the movie was so focused on practical and realistic effects, the
    guy Ren was selling her scraps to
    was fairly jarring CGI and again should have been a live actor with prosthetics. No reason at all for him to be CGI.
    -
    Finn's fight with that random stormtrooper in the second act (the one who shouted 'traitor') should have been with Captain Phasma instead of just some random trooper. It would have had more dramatic weight, made more sense narratively, and given her character more to do. The fight could have ended with her wounded instead of killed so she could still be around for the third act.
    - I understand they were trying to pastiche A New Hope but
    another Death Star type weapon which had yet another specific spot of weakness was a little disappointing. That's the third one in seven movies!
    - Poe was really entertaining to watch and reminded me of Han in the original trilogy, but I wish he was in it more. I hope that is rectified in the next two movies and him, Finn and Rey become a proper trio.

But there is nothing even approaching the horribleness that was in the prequel trilogy. A very entertaining movie. Really looking forward to the next one and continuing Rey's story in particular.

Hang on, are you saying you want a special edition? :-)

Nah, more a directors "true" cut kinda thing, I don't think what we have seen is the true story. I'll happily sit through 4 hours if it tells the story right.

I hate to be knocking it so, I really do. But, it's just how I feel about it now.

(I did go to the special edition releases, only chance I I got to see the "OT" the in the cinema. Have it on vhs though, unmolested)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭bilston

You seem to be getting more down on the film with every post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I was very impressed by it. Full of great well-defined characters, a good mix of new and old, a healthy dose of humour (which I didn't think was excessive) and a driving kinetic energy. I love the level of character and humour they managed to get from a beeping / chirping ball :D

I'd place it:

ESB
    ANH
    TFA
    ROTJ

(there's probably about 30 mins of watchable moments in the entire prequel trilogy so they don't count.)

Overall, 8/10.

A few gripes:
    - I'm assuming Snoke will grow more important as the new trilogy progresses, like the emperor in the original trilogy. Therefore, I wish he was a live action character and not motion capture because I don't think they pulled off the CGI for him. It's fine for the fairly minor role he had in this movie but it will become even more problematic if his role increases later.
    I believe he's a holo projection and that's why he looks wrong, as someone else said he's probably tiny

i rank them the same 4576 with some crap that wasn't worth watching but 231 if i have to

Nah, more a directors "true" cut kinda thing, I don't think what we have seen is the true story. I'll happily sit through 4 hours if it tells the story right.

I hate to be knocking it so, I really do. But, it's just how I feel about it now.

(I did go to the special edition releases, only chance I I got to see the "OT" the in the cinema. Have it on visit though, unmolested)

Same here, my first Star Wars experience was going to ANH special edition with my mate back in primary school. Loved it so much that after that I got the ESB and ROTJ videos out of Extra Vision so at least I saw those in the original.

I agree that the movie felt like it cut stuff out that could have helped. Personally I would have preferred
    more in Maz's castle, I think the flashback was intended to be longer/more detailed but Abrams and co. weren't happy with Nyongyo's performance. I would have gladly had a bit more exposition there and maybe sacrifice the squid chase on the freighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I enjoyed it but some of the dialogue and plot reminded me that it really is a film for kids as well as adults.
    I would think the same of some of the scenes in the original three movies too,
    I enjoyed the ending and am looking forward to seeing where it goes next.
    Funny I read of people getting teary eyed.
    I almost did in some parts but part of it was down to nostalgia. (I'm 38). (Spoiler) The scene where Carrie Fischer and Harrison Ford meet again was a nostalgic and emotional scene for me as it brought me straight back to the early 80s and the fact it was those two actors playing the same characters 30 years on was great too.
    Same with Mark Hamill.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm an emotional guy and I genuinely love it, I just couldn't gel with it that way, and I so wanted to.
    I understand your position all the same, I had to see it straight off the bat. Rather than try to resist the Internet spoilers...

I know the next episode will be better, it's been set up to be a cracker, I understand that this is the hook, next the line, then the sinker.i don't need encouraging!!

How long will the wait be though...

May 2017 I believe with Rogue One to keep us all occupied next year. I'm almost looking forward to that more than the new trilogy just because it has the potential anyway to be darker and maybe more of an adult (with a small a!!) Star Wars movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Tigger wrote: »
    I believe he's a holo projection and that's why he looks wrong, as someone else said he's probably tiny

i rank them the same 4576 with some crap that wasn't worth watching but 231 if i have to

Haha, now I'm imagining Snoke to be the same size as that little alien in the jeweler's head in Men In Black :D

Advertisement