Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

JJ is just rinse and repeat what be did with star wars. Pretty much the exact same mix of storyline inspiration, nostalgia etc as used in star trek. He got hired to do that, he succeeded in doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

errlloyd wrote: »
    JJ is just rinse and repeat what be did with star wars. Pretty much the exact same mix of storyline inspiration, nostalgia etc as used in star trek. He got hired to do that, he succeeded in doing that.

Thank God for that on this film at least ;)

The Guardian review goes into this aspect a lot, but they love the movie for it.

Now the next move, I do want to see more of a departure/ new stuff, and I am a hardcore nostalgia driven fanboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Went to see it for the second time this afternoon. Felt I enjoyed it more without the expectation. I felt more relaxed and could enjoy the experience better.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Went to see it for the second time this afternoon. Felt I enjoyed it more without the expectation. I felt more relaxed and could enjoy the experience better.

Yeah, I'm taking my Mammy to see it over Xmas again with my brother, 32 years after she took us to see it.

I'd go see it again tomorrow if I could but cant.

For the same reasons as you, just to savor it a bit more and absorb the subtleties in it, maybe with less weeping.

Plus I was in the 3rd row from the front at Omni, so I just could not take everything in.

I'll be smack bang in middle of cinema next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yeah, I'm taking my Mammy to see it over Xmas again with my brother, 32 years after she took us to see it.

I'd go see it again tomorrow if I could but cant.

For the same reasons as you, just to savor it a bit more and absorb the subtleties in it, maybe with less weeping.

Plus I was in the 3rd row from the front at Omni, so I just could not take everything in.

I'll be smack bang in middle of cinema next time.

Ha, I got a text from my mum afterwards giving out saying I said I would bring her to it! I Assured her I would be going again over the holidays!

I only woke up around 12.30 after getting home from midnight show at 4am! Said to my wife that i would love for my eldest son to see it before anybody in his class. We phoned his school and got him off early and I brought him to 2.40 showing! He loved it!

I wasn't sure if it was suitable for him because of the scary scenes but decided that there wouldn't be too many big cinema occasions like this for my young lad. Hopefully it's one of those fond child memories we all have!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Whats screen 1 in Lighthouse for Star Wars like, is it big enough to do it justice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭mada999

titan18 wrote: »
    I liked it. Some dodgy moments at times, and was sort of a bit meh about the ending, as I was actually expecting more to happen (even if it was beautifully done)

my thought exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not long back from seeing it and loved it. Its Brilliant. Missed one or two little bits but am going to see it again tomorrow:) Might even go for a third time over the weekend if I get the chance. Thought the ending looked really well and agree it was beautifully done. Had a fair idea what the sad bit was going to be. Want to say but don,t want to ruin it for does who have not seen it yet so will not.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Overall definitely enjoyed it. But the film was exactly what I thought it would be like. Which was quite disappointing in that there wasn't many surprises for me.

Coincidence after coincidence doesn't really make for compelling viewing.

Adam Driver was very good.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Ha, I got a text from my mum afterwards giving out saying I said I would bring her to it! I Assured her I would be going again over the holidays!

I only woke up around 12.30 after getting home from midnight show at 4am! Said to my wife that i would love for my eldest son to see it before anybody in his class. We phoned his school and got him off early and I brought him to 2.40 showing! He loved it!

I wasn't sure if it was suitable for him because of the scary scenes but decided that there wouldn't be too many big cinema occasions like this for my young lad. Hopefully it's one of those fond child memories we all have!

You just won Best Dad on boards /planet award ;)

I'm actually digging the inter-generational aspect that is happening with this movie. My mum took me to ROTJ when she was 33 years old. I'm 41. Wow. fook.

Now I get to take her to TFA as a 62 year old. And she is going to love it, I think especially seeing the older actors the she knows intimately because of me as a child, front and center.

So we have 30/40 somethings taking their kids and their parents to the same movie. And it will be an emotional time for everyone involved, more so than most other movies than are ever made.

That's f***ing cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I'm 31 and I kinda wish I was old enough to experience the original Star Wars trilogy in the cinema if only for
    the emotion that generation is feeling for seeing Han, Chewie and Leia back together again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Digesting the movie since seeing it tonight. Not sure how I feel about it tbh. Comments below are spoiler free.

Im sensing the fans are feeling a massive relief thats its not like the prequels. Its an enjoyable romp, but its no where near the OT. There are so many issues with the movie. The 2nd Act drags a little. The plot is weak and some of the characters make no sense whatsoever. I'll have to give it a second viewing to be able to put aside my attachment to the original movies to see how well it stands up on its own merit.

It has some wonderful moments but it has some awful moments too. But it is enjoyable. Not feeling the love for it the same way that the people who are crying are.

Kylo Ren is fantastic. One of the strongest characters in any of the Star Wars movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yep its soo cool I'm taking my dad to his 1st Star Wars movie since the original Return of the Jedi release on tuesday having already seen it last night can't wait

faceman wrote: »
    Digesting the movie since seeing it tonight. Not sure how I feel about it tbh. Comments below are spoiler free.

Im sensing the fans are feeling a massive relief thats its not like the prequels. Its an enjoyable romp, but its no where near the OT. There are so many issues with the movie. The 2nd Act drags a little. The plot is weak and some of the characters make no sense whatsoever. I'll have to give it a second viewing to be able to put aside my attachment to the original movies to see how well it stands up on its own merit.

It has some wonderful moments but it has some awful moments too. But it is enjoyable.

Kylo Ren is fantastic. One of the strongest characters in any of the Star Wars movies.

I think you do the movie a disservice.

I would absolutely place it with the OT, and I never, never thought Id say that.

Like if the OT had never existed, it would still be a fantastic film.

'Awful moments' what are you smoking ?? thats just shi t stirring

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Definately an improvement but it rehashed old stories, a JJ abrams trademark. A bigger death star is all they could come up with?? Christ! The prequels were so bad, people really dropped their expectations for this one.

I thought if they replaced that tennager with the daddy issues for a darth maul type then the film would have been much better! He was badass despite how ****ty the prequels were! This guy struggled with people that never held a lightsabre before. Least Luke went through a weekend bootcamp with yoda before having any chance with Vader.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I think you do the movie a disservice.

I would absolutely place it with the OT, and I never, never thought Id say that.

Like if the OT had never existed, it would still be a fantastic film.

I stand by what I said. There is as much wrong with the movie as there is right and once the nostalgia wears off, I won't be own my own saying that.
    The plot is awful and strung together. Its mostly a copy and paste of A New Hope. The First Order were defeated quite easily suggesting that they aren't as big a threat as first made to belief. (Especially given the Republic was wiped out prior to the climax.) The need to find Luke was eliminated. It didn't tee up a sequel which was nice.

Characters. Kylo Ren was truly a great character, one of the best in the Star Wars movies. Its great to see a character of being on the dark side but being tempted by the light. And the rawness of the character is so engaging.

Contrast that with Rey. Jesus. What a mess. Couldn't get behind her at all. Saw no motivation for her decisions and her sudden talent with the force. Her friendship with Finn (and vice versa) felt forced. They developed a strong bond from nowhere. SHes a scavenger. Why would she suddenly develop an attachment to a shady character who she avoids in her life every other day? It didn't feel genuine. Character development here was weak.

Solo was the one I was most worried about but I enjoyed him onscreen. It wasn't a repeat of Indy 4 thankfully.

Gleeson's character was a frat boy.

I like the Poe character, would have liked to see more of him.

The action sequences were great.

And like I said, the film was enjoyable. But its not a classic.

I stand by what I said. There is as much wrong with the movie as there is right and once the nostalgia wears off, I won't be own my own saying that.
    The plot is awful and strung together. The First Order were defeated quite easily suggesting that they aren't as big a threat as first made to belief. (Especially given the Republic was wiped out prior to the climax.) The need to find Luke was eliminated. It didn't tee up a sequel which was nice.

Characters. Kylo Ren was truly a great character, one of the best in the Star Wars movies. Its great to see a character of being on the dark side but being tempted by the light. And the rawness of the character is so engaging.

Contrast that with Rey. Jesus. What a mess. Couldn't get behind her at all. Saw no motivation for her decisions and her sudden talent with the force. Her friendship with Finn (and vice versa) felt forced. They developed a strong bond from nowhere. SHes a scavenger. Why would she suddenly develop an attachment to a shady character who she avoids in her life every other day? It didn't feel genuine. Character development here was weak.

Solo was the one I was most worried about but I enjoyed him onscreen. It wasn't a repeat of Indy 4 thankfully.

Gleeson's character was a frat boy.

I like the Poe character, would have liked to see more of him.

The action sequences were great.

And like I said, the film was enjoyable. But its not a classic.

You think too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Millennium Falcon skidding on the snow, with some of the worst effects put to screen in recent years, and just happened to stop at the very edge of the cliff?

Finn with his stereotypical one liners, i was waiting for him to come out with "ah hell no" ala Bad Boys..

Bb8 giving the tumbs up

There was collective tuts around the cinema!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Having seen it tonight for the second time I stand by my previous thinking, for me this is the benchmark- non spoiler observations:

Finn is such a likable character and both writing and acting are top notch.

Kylo Ren is a superb villain.

Rey is everything I could want in a female lead, superbly written.

The ensemble cast- while some had less to do than I would have perhaps liked, nobody underperformed.

Visually it is stunning, 1 or 2 minor hiccups but not enough to dampen it.

Saw it in 2D last night and 3D tonight- for me 3D added nothing.

Millennium Falcon skidding on the snow, with some of the worst effects put to screen in recent years, and just happened to stop at the very edge of the cliff?

Finn with his stereotypical one liners, i was waiting for him to come out with "ah hell no" ala Bad Boys..

Bb8 giving the tumbs up

There was collective tuts around the cinema!! :D

Yeah mate, Im sure there was...

Here comes the typical boards.ie reactionary bollix.

BB8 giving the thumbs up - in the cinema I saw it in , a roar of laughter....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Whyohwhy? wrote: »
    The prequels were badly executed, not dogfood , more dog****.
    Very hard to watch, they were not good movies.
    The story was solid, presented terribly though. Can they be remade? Possibly, but will forever be tainted with the first presentation.

Agree, they should get the master reels and burn them in a trash can.

They should be wiped from all existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Just saw it tonight in Savoy screen 1. Really enjoyable overall, some great characters, great action...and some highly emotional moments which I'm still trying to process!

Some interesting comments here about regurgitating the storyline from A New Hope. If another film had that storyline I think we'd be looking at copyright infringement. Ultimately it didn't detract from it but they'd want to move onto something new and fresh very quickly in the next one. But I think Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac and Adam Driver can all take a bow. It was important to have new characters than can hold a film and they all did as well as I'd hoped, and more.

Highlights
    1. The opening scene. Very intense, dark and dramatic. I got a really good vibe from Poe straight away, and as someone said earlier it's such a pity he disappeared for so much of the film. Isaac didn't put a foot wrong IMO.

2. Han and Leia's reunion. Threepio butting in at the start (a nice touch), the way they just looked at each other, the unspoken love between them. Their eyes spoke a thousand words. The two of them were able to convey a real sense of sadness about their son and what happened to him.

Han's death. When he walked out onto the bridge I knew he was a goner, what else was going to happen? Ford delivered some superb stuff but Driver was truly excellent here. Possibly the best scene from all of the films in terms of pure acting. I found myself welling up as I'm sure most people did. It's common knowledge that Ford wanted Han to die in ROTJ to give the film some real meaning so it wasn't a huge surprise to see him get his wish in this one. The whole Kylo Ren story was a major nod to the Expanded Universe, where Han and Leia's son Jacen turned to the dark side.

4. Luke. Talk about getting chills from seeing a character finally be revealed. I can't wait to see him take centre stage in the next one.

5. That First Order rally scene. Hammy as hell from Domhnall Gleeson here but how fcking spectacular did that look against the icy background?!

Lowlights

Ahh, far too early to be getting pissed off about any of it so I'll leave it for now! I just want to let the good stuff sink in.

I'm 42, I'm old enough to have seen every Star Wars film in the cinema and, after the disappointment of the prequels, all I can say is that sense of wonder and awe is there again. I'm taking my boys to see it at the weekend and I hope they enjoy it as much as I did.

You'd think the empire/1st order would have learnt by now to build more than one death star/starkiller at a time..

General Hux: we need a new weapon..
    Kylo: why not build 100 of them?
    Hux: shut up.

You'd think the empire/1st order would have learnt by now to build more than one death star/starkiller at a time..

General Hux: we need a new weapon..
    Kylo: why not build 100 of them?
    Hux: shut up.

Well, you better not go see the next movie then. Killjoy.

Yeah mate, Im sure there was...

Here comes the typical boards.ie reactionary bollix.

BB8 giving the thumbs up - in the cinema I saw it in , a roar of laughter....

Here comes? I've been posting since seeing the film last night. Settle down there lad.

You think too much

Meaning?

Well, you better not go see the next movie then. Killjoy.

It's just a bit of a joke. Settle down there lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Anybody at the 8pm showing in the Savoy tonight (last night). It was a great atmosphere and I really did feel the eyes watering in parts.

That final scene...

Meaning?

Its pure si fi escapism. Its not the The Seven Seals for Gods sake.

You could level the same criticism at ROTJ for building another death star with a dodgy trench..

The film was fantastic.

I love deep hard Sci-Fi, but this is Star Wars dude, empire of dreams etc, lets not think too hard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Its pure si fi escapisinm. Its not the The Seven Seals for Gods sake.

You could level the same criticism at ROTJ for building another death star with a dodgy trench..

The film was fantastic.

I love deep hard Sci-Fi, but this is Star Wars dude, kingdom of dreams etc, lets not think too hard

Same can be said about the prequels which you claimed broke your heart...

Advertisement