Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Un fücking real

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

4 ish min

And amazing....God help the Skelligs now from a nerd invasion

I'm sure I saw the West Cork Mountains in as backdrop a few times.

Also, being Irish here, it was so shot so Irish in a way, natural and familiar and 'home' ,
    LUKE SKYWALKER IS HIDING IN IRELAND!!!!!!!

How much more win do we need here???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,184 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Really enjoyed it.

Also Domhnall Gleeson is a magnificent bastard in this.

:confused:

Complete wet fish for me. About as intimidating as the redser next door.

The inevitable comparisons with Cushing's Tarkin paint his character and performance in a very poor light, but to each their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

If Oscar Isaac could be in every movie from now on I'd be grateful. He has natural charisma like no other actor today imo.

e_e wrote: »
    If Oscar Isaac could be in every movie from now on I'd be grateful. He has natural charisma like no other actor today imo.

Did not cop he was Llewyn Davis, until an hour ago. Mad.

For the iota of time he had he made a big impression.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Did not cop he was Llewyn Davis, until an hour ago. Mad.
    ...and Adam Driver. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If you haven't seen the HBO Mini Series 'Show Me A Hero', check it out.

He was brilliant in that and in this.

Haaaa, lol, nfw, I knew I knew that face, ****, lolz :D

Shhhaauut....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

saw it tonight, must say i loved it to bits, the nostalgia really got to me at times (im only 26 but my dad loves star wars so i was raised on the originals :D), this movie is just perfect in my opinion, my god all ive been doing is thinking about it since i left the cinema :pac: quite a sad movie as well

hopefully going to see it again sunday with my dad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Have quibbles but I liked it. I'm too young to have seen the originals in the cinema, but I have a strong childhood attachment to them, and I'm still not OK about prequels. That will never be OK.

While these are essentially kids' films, being old enough to have gotten excited over the prequels and then be so atrociously let down does make this one that bit sweeter than it’d be to fresh eyes: like a dock leaf on that nettle sting, a total reversal of the things that sucked dick for skittles in that trilogy.
    Hey kids, remember all those boring long talks about trade embargoes and ‘I wasn’t elected to blah blah’, well **** that, let’s literally blow that stuff up. Remember that dreary seriousness interspersed with racially dodgy comic relief? Here are some actual jokes and visual gags. Remember that, erm, dialogue? Here are some people saying things that people might conceivably say, with fancy actin’ stuff like tones of voice and facial expressions with a broader range than ‘neutral’ and ‘possible inner turmoil, possible diarrhoea’. And rather than CGI for the sake of CGI, shouting 'LOOK AT ME I'M CGI! CGI RULES!', this world looks real. And we’re not going to mention midi chlorians, ssshh.

I am glad that there’s not the level of fan service and nudgey winky in this as there was in Abrams’ Star Treks though,
    that combined with the similarity in plot to Episode IV would have been a bit much. Not overly perturbed by the strong similarity though, it’s like the force and the history of the galaxy is somehow constantly in flux and yet constantly repeating itself, all through the prism of the Skywalker family. But I’m probably being generous there because YAY, Star Wars!

I really liked Rylo Ken.
    Someone who’s dangerous, powerful and capable of committing terrible acts but is also at some basic level just an angry, confused young man in over his head and playing up to a role to win respect is an interesting villain, far more interesting than some unstoppable badass, and Adam Driver is more than equal to the role, imo. Again a corrective to one of the weakest spots of the prequels, the unholy spawn of Lucas and Christensen. As for the fight at the end, he’s clearly shown to be injured, he’s thrown by Rey’s proficiency with the force, and he’s just committed a patricide he wasn’t 100% crazy about. This is not someone who has his shít together half as much as he’d like people to think, he’s not got a great handle on his emotions and I think the combination of his injury and just not having his head in the game explains his poor performance well enough.

One nitpick I do have that I haven’t seen mentioned is John Boyega’s pan-American accent. Not really sure why they bothered making him do one if it was going to be that bad, I found it more distracting than the 3D for the first while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It's a good, really fun film overall, far from perfect, and maybe better than Return of the Jedi, but I don't think it's as good as Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back.

The new cast are all great, especially Adam Driver as Ren, a really believable villain. And hopefully we'll get to see more of Poe in the next film, Oscar Isaac has a real natural charm.

It definitely suffers from
    rehashing the plot of Star Wars too much,
    and it feels rushed, with some major things treated in a pretty rushed manner, e.g.
    the destruction of The Republic. In a way I don't mind too much as the focus of the film was more on the characters than the politics (like the brief mention of the dissolution of the Senate in Star Wars), but it still felt that something so monumental should have had more of an impact on the characters.
    Rey's development as a Jedi seemed way too fast too. Though I do like the dynamic of, presumably, the future films focusing on a conflict between her and Ren as complex, vulnerable young Jedi who aren't portrayed as simply good or evil. I like that she's more independent and capable than Luke seemed in Star Wars.
    A more minor nitpick, but I really didn't like the scene with the giant monsters on Han and Chewie's ship. It just felt too cartoonish and unnecessary to the plot, that I was just waiting for them to get on the Millennium Falcon and go.

Overall, a solid film that left me anticipating the next one.It lacks the exuberant charm of the original films, for me, but it's got its own tone which contains some of that sense of adventure with a little more sober introspection.

P.S That was clearly Daniel Craig: I don't know why he denied it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

It's a good, really fun film overall, far from perfect, and maybe better than Return of the Jedi, but I don't think it's as good as Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back.

The new cast are all great, especially Adam Driver as Ren, a really believable villain. And hopefully we'll get to see more of Poe in the next film, Oscar Isaac has a real natural charm.

It definitely suffers from
    rehashing the plot of Star Wars too much,
    and it feels rushed, with some major things treated in a pretty rushed manner, e.g.
    the destruction of The Republic. In a way I don't mind too much as the focus of the film was more on the characters than the politics (like the brief mention of the dissolution of the Senate in Star Wars), but it still felt that something so monumental should have had more of an impact on the characters.
    Rey's development as a Jedi seemed way too fast too. Though I do like the dynamic of, presumably, the future films focusing on a conflict between her and Ren as complex, vulnerable young Jedi who aren't portrayed as simply good or evil. I like that she's more independent and capable than Luke seemed in Star Wars.
    A more minor nitpick, but I really didn't like the scene with the giant monsters on Han and Chewie's ship. It just felt too cartoonish and unnecessary to the plot, that I was just waiting for them to get on the Millennium Falcon and go.

Overall, a solid film that left me anticipating the next one.It lacks the exuberant charm of the original films, for me, but it's got its own tone which contains some of that sense of adventure with a little more sober introspection.

P.S That was clearly Daniel Craig: I don't know why he denied it!

V important note,
    they havent destroyed the rpublic...read the scrool/crawl at the start carefully...the republic is alive and well..theyre supporting Leia on a quest to find Luke...they hit three planets and destroyed them..it wasnt Coruscant and the new republics capital isnt on that planet anyways..i thought the same as you too on my first viewing but on the second sitting, its named and made clear its not the capital..

also!
    Rey suddenly having Force abilities does feel rushed...but look again..Ren actually awakened her abilities..leading to the idea that its either her brother or cousin

and youre dead right on your third point, now that i think about it.

david75 wrote: »
    V important note,
    they havent destroyed the rpublic...read the scrool/crawl at the start carefully...the republic is alive and well..theyre supporting Leia on a quest to find Luke...they hit three planets and destroyed them..it wasnt Coruscant and the new republics capital isnt on that planet anyways..i thought the same as you too on my first viewing but on the second sitting, its named and made clear its not the capital..

That's one of the downsides of the film's pace: details like that aren't clear as the film doesn't dwell on them.

I'll be seeing it soon again, so I'm sure it'll all make more sense then!

david75 wrote: »
    also!
    Rey suddenly having Force abilities does feel rushed...but look again..Ren actually awakened her abilities..leading to the idea that its either her brother or cousin

and youre dead right on your third point, now that i think about it.
    I think there's definitely a strong connection between them, because of the way he reacted when someone mentioned there was a girl with BB8. Her being Luke's daughter is the obvious choice, but then who would the mother be? Hopefully it wasn't another virgin birth!

who knows?

for such a relatively simple story, with predetermined subsets of stories and arcs, and admissions from the director/soon to be producer, it's mad tricky trying to figure out who's what and what's gonna happen...meaning Rey and Ren mainly...

brother and sister? cousins? outcomes?

but now everything is set up...and the next director is noted for being great with storytelling(esp family stuff)

so its all there...next one wont follow empires template, but it will be complex possibly even dark..

who knows?

for such a relatively simple story, with predetermined subsets of stories and arcs, and admissions from the director/soon to be producer that its all about poetry/themes rhyming/echoes, it's mad tricky trying to figure out who's what and what's gonna happen...meaning Rey and Ren mainly...

brother and sister? cousins? outcomes?

but now everything is set up...and the next director is noted for being great with storytelling(esp family stuff)

so its all there...next one wont follow empires template, but it will be complex possibly even dark..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭Whyohwhy?

py2006 wrote: »
    Have to say guys, Rey was phenomenal in this. Such a great performance.
    I'm in full agreement with this, she's gonna be a big star. Not because it's star wars, it's a great performance regardless. For a first major role, it's impressive. Most impressive...

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

On Ren's character, he's clearly meant to be the unfinished article as Snoke points out to him directly. Snoke tells him what he needs to do and he fulfills that at the end of the movie. Ren is a kind of dark side version of Luke Skywalker who's learning his trade so to speak.

There are loads of threads throughout this movie which now has us all guessing how things will unfold which is great, unlike the prequels where it was box ticking to the end we all knew was coming.

Its gas some people are complaining it's too similar to the originals, they were the same people who complained the prequels were nothing like the originals.

Personally, I put the Force Awakens just behind Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back., you can't ask for better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It'll be Tuesday before I get to see this,went to book tickets for my nearest Maxx Screen but the only ones left are terrible plus on checking seat availability I was surprised to notice there's €9 in the difference of price for 2 tickets.

Thank fook the 2 reviews I heard yesterday evening/last night were spoiler free although EP 8 is touted as being a mix of Oceans 11 and Black Hawk Down-that sounds damn good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,617 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wedwood wrote: »
    Its gas some people are complaining it's too similar to the originals, they were the same people who complained the prequels were nothing like the originals.

well, that is a bit disingenuous, imo.
    the complaints re. the prequels is that their tone and feel was so different from the originals - so stodgy and serious, so lifeless.

The complaint about this sequel is that it is too close to the original in terms of actual plot.

They are different complaints - Plot vs Tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I honestly don't know why people feel this movie needs to compare to the Original Trilogy, because honestly nothing ever will. What makes those three films so special is the spectacle of them and the fact they were made when they were. Special effects technology has developed so much since then, nothing will ever be as monumental, particularly as A New Hope was in 1977.

I just saw the movie twice, and its the best movie I've seen in a long time, (even looked for wooden acting the second time but didn't find any) easily the greatest Star Wars property since 1983.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I thought that based on the trailer this would be a 3/5 film and now that I've seen it I can confirm it. I thought the story and the pace were very average and the cgi esp the millennium falcon was too pristine. I agree with the review below,

"Ryan Gilbey of New Statesman:

Abrams is also too susceptible to the solemn self-mythologising that always threatened to spoil the fun of any ‘Star Wars’ film. He hasn’t made a terrible picture — just a safe one, where the farthest reaches of fantasy feel merely routine.”

There was some very dodgy casting too, Domhnall Gleeson was dreadful, he is way too light to carry that character and came across as some kind of camp Nazi. Daisy Ridley was pretty good though and Oscar Issac was decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

McDermotX wrote: »
    :confused:

Complete wet fish for me. About as intimidating as the redser next door.

The inevitable comparisons with Cushing's Tarkin paint his character and performance in a very poor light, but to each their own.

Have to agree, I usually like Gleeson but he was like an Allo Allo Nazi at times, especially that big speech scene.
    I got more of an Admiral Motti vibe from him than Tarkin, mostly down to his squabbling with Kylo, but he generally came across as a young leader out of his depth.
    I think the First Order needed an older actor in a high rank, considering how young Kylo is also. I know Snoke is probably pretty ancient but someone more hands on than a CGI hologram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Saw it last night, loved it, will go see it again.

Agree with Seanachai above, thought Gleeson was average enough, tried a bit too hard to appear evil.

A few things annoyed me:
    Whatever about the bit where she reads his mind, Kylo Ren mentions training Rey in the use of the force while their sabers are locked and she's hanging over the edge of a bit of a fall. She then mouths 'the Force', closes her eyes for a second and then proceeds to whoop him. Her and Finn's proficiency with a saber have been explained and the fact Ren was injured etc, but I still think he should have whupped them with the Force. He stopped and held a laser earlier on!
    When Han died and Rey, Chewie et al come back to Leia, Leia heads straight for Rey and hugs her. Why? Surely she was absolutely heartbroken (I know I was) and should have run to Chewie, his best mate, who would have shared her pain? There was no mourning of Solo apart from a bit of Chewie going psycho - I thought that was strange.
    The blowing up of the First Order base from the inside - that's the third time we've seen something like that now (ANH, ROTJ and TPM).

Lastly:
    I think the reveal of who Kylo Ren is could have been saved until the moment Han roars his given name, instead of Snoke referring to him as 'your father, Han Solo'. Could have just been referred to as 'your father' - it was hardly going to be Finn or Chewie, was it?! Rey is definitely Luke's daughter, in my opinion.

Anyway, small holes for me. Enjoyed it immensely overall, a very positive start to the new series, and I'm utterly relieved that it wasn't sh1te like the prequels!

Also, and I don't think this is a spoiler, but the Skelligs looked absolutely class, great choice for that scene and prefaced well by a reference to what it is earlier in the film. Class :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Saw it last night...it feels like a star wars movie, very like the original 3 with the look and feel of the sets and costumes as well as dialogue...Really enjoyed it and can't wait for the next one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Saw it last night, loved it, will go see it again.

Agree with Seanachai above, thought Gleeson was average enough, tried a bit too hard to appear evil.

A few things annoyed me:
    Whatever about the bit where she reads his mind, Kylo Ren mentions training Rey in the use of the force while their sabers are locked and she's hanging over the edge of a bit of a fall. She then mouths 'the Force', closes her eyes for a second and then proceeds to whoop him. Her and Finn's proficiency with a saber have been explained and the fact Ren was injured etc, but I still think he should have whupped them with the Force. He stopped and held a laser earlier on!
    When Han died and Rey, Chewie et al come back to Leia, Leia heads straight for Rey and hugs her. Why? Surely she was absolutely heartbroken (I know I was) and should have run to Chewie, his best mate, who would have shared her pain? There was no mourning of Solo apart from a bit of Chewie going psycho - I thought that was strange.
    The blowing up of the First Order base from the inside - that's the third time we've seen something like that now (ANH, ROTJ and TPM).

Lastly:
    I think the reveal of who Kylo Ren is could have been saved until the moment Han roars his given name, instead of Snoke referring to him as 'your father, Han Solo'. Could have just been referred to as 'your father' - it was hardly going to be Finn or Chewie, was it?! Rey is definitely Luke's daughter, in my opinion.

Anyway, small holes for me. Enjoyed it immensely overall, a very positive start to the new series, and I'm utterly relieved that it wasn't sh1te like the prequels!

Also, and I don't think this is a spoiler, but the Skelligs looked absolutely class, great choice for that scene and prefaced well by a reference to what it is earlier in the film. Class :)

in responce to your first spoilered piece
    I think that kylo probably only used his lightsaber to kill people and not go into combat with them would mean that his very very rusty with the lightsaber combat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

That was the biggest problem with the film imo.. it was a bad idea even with ROTJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

About Rey and her origins...
    was it not made obvious that Rey is Lukes child going by how his lightsabre resonates to her alone?
    Reading reviews and a lot seem confused about Rey's past but it seems to be obvious in my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

While it's far better than the utter abortion that the prequels were, I left the cinema feeling a mild sense of elation mixed with a sense of being oddly disappointed and deflated, perhaps because of 'that critical scene' which left my inner child curled in a ball, utterly traumatized :D

For me anyway The Force Awakens suffered all the problems I have with Abrahams as a director, nothing about it convinced me that he's capable of delivering a competent third act and there was a fierce stench of 'Star Trek: Into Darkness', about the film inthe way that it leaned heavily on call backs to the previous movies to provide unearned weight and emotional heft to critical scenes. The level of deus ex machina was ridiculous and there were at least two too many convenient coincidences that were used to push the plot along from one noisy action scene to another that felt extremely lazy. Just about the worst thing a writer can do is leave its audience wondering 'why is this happening?' only to come to the conclusion, 'because it has to for the next thing to happen'. The plotting was mechanical and the works were laid bare for all to see in such scenes.
    This brings me to the next big problem I have with TFA, with the exception of Finn and Kylo Renn there are no characters in the film.
    There are sketches of characters who's motivation is, like the plot, mechanical, but they have no texture at all.
    The bad guys and 'hero pilot dude' have so little screen time as to make no real impact other then what we are told about them. Why are big bad Snoke, General Nazi or Captian Phasma here? Except perhaps to expand a toy line.
    The biggest problem though is Rey, she moves about the universe like an impenetrable holo-pawn on Han's space chess board, now some will argue that her character basis is one of restrained mystery, but bollix to that. I honestly can't remember the main character actually having a single converstion with anybody, there's a bit of exposition and banter on the run, but not a single conversation and I find it hard to invest in a character that has a lot to do but nothing to say.

Finally, for all the much vaunted and aplauded decision to 'return to practical effects' the deployment of two 'major' characters through CGI, particularly Snoke left me underwhelmed by characters that should hold your attention.

I'm still looking forward to the next one, but The Force Awakens felt too much like an inept prologue that promised better things to come. And yes, the final scene gave me chills!

Advertisement