Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

While I think it's fair to say the score is a bit of a disappointment overall and definitely lacking something as forcefully rousing as Duel of the Fates (perhaps the best thing about the prequel trilogy?), I do think Rey's theme is worth singling out. It's less bombastic than the majority of iconic compositions from the series, but it elegantly brews up a mood of adventure and curiosity, which suits both the tone and the character it's written for. It's playful too, which suits the overlying mood of the film. It's soaring and intimate at the same time - which is what I liked about the film overall, and encapsulated succinctly in that piece of music.

It's a novel and fairly unusual sort of composition for the series, but it also has that classic Stat Wars - and by extent John Williams - flair in excess.

Its like star wars meets harry potter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Clareman wrote: »
    New Hope then Empire, then Attack then Revenge then Return, ignore Menace complete, that's the best order :D

Perhaps but I would t recommend the prequels AT ALL to someone coming fresh to Star Wars/never having seen them. Itd turn them off immediately.

A new hope, empire, Jedi, all you need. Then see this one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Regarding Rey's origin...
    Friends I saw it with immediately jumped to the conclusion that Rey and Kylo Ren are twins.

To me, that seemed way too obvious from the outset and didn't want to believe it. However, it would explain Leia and Han's subtle attachment to her (The Rey/Leia hug almost seemed like a reveal of this, yet wasn't. Very odd) . Also twins run in the Skywalker family and there's been an obvious connection/symmetry between Rey and Ren, especially in the main poster.

However that would put a lot of emphasis on the one Solo/Skywalker family and would be leaving Luke a little to the side.

If she was Luke's daughter... I don't even know how I'd explain that happening.

Any other theories?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

That was Daniel Craig playing the ST Rey did the Jedi mind trick on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

chops018 wrote: »
    Also, they're releasing a kind of spin off movie (Star Wars Rogue One) about the team who went and got the plans to the Death Star, as has been said, from the poster it looks very dark, I am looking forward to this I must say. Hopefully it is only low budget movie like 30-50 million though as I cannot see it doing fantastically well like TFA and further new trilogy movies, but if it's low budget and does well enough at the box office and critically then it will be a great step for Star Wars and setting people up for Episode VIII. I actually thought it was going to be a TV show when I was first reading about it, and thought it would be awesome, and if it was aimed at adults we could see a Game of Thrones esque sci-i with proper violence from the Dark Side, but with Disney being Disney we are probably not going to get a TV show like that, and the movie will probably end up being 12A so they won't be able to go too dark.

Would be weird if there is any force happenings in that at all, seeing as at that point there are only three people in the galaxy that know anything about the force at all. Them being Palpatine, Darth Vader and Obi Wan and I saw it mentioned that there would be absolutely no characters crossing over to these in-between movies, extended universe things they are now creating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

david75 wrote: »
    Perhaps but I would t recommend the prequels AT ALL to someone coming fresh to Star Wars/never having seen them. Itd turn them off immediately.

A new hope, empire, Jedi, all you need. Then see this one:)

Yeah, maybe a quick read of the wiki pages for the prequels if you were really curious about the background would be more than enough. Definitely no need to see them in order to understand this installment

I think
    they had a massive ladder to get up to the top, he was already of ground level and they came out at different spots which meant he was in front of them

That's silly. I was hoping I had missed something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

The only part of the prequels I'd recommend anyone watch is the Opera scene in Revenge of the Sith

because....(spoilers for the entire series below)

Palpatine tells Anakin about his master Darth Plagueis the Wise who had the ability to cheat death. It is heavily implied that Plagueis also manipulated the force itself to create life.

Look who had no 'father' in Star Wars - Anakin.

Listen to the music that plays when Palpatine discusses Plagueis - sound familiar?

That's right - almost identical to the music that plays when Snoke appears.

Snoke is most likely Darth Plagueis, the one responsible for the entire Skywalker lineage, he already has Vader's grandson in his grip and now it appears he is after Vader's granddaughter.

Ren also refers to Snoke as being very wise and also mentions that he wanted a clone army - Plagueis was likewise a fan of clone armies

The entire saga is about the Skywalker family and Lucas himself said he wants to know what happens to Vader's grandchildren. This ties together the entire series.

Red King wrote: »
    The only part of the prequels I'd recommend anyone watch is the Opera scene in Revenge of the Sith

because....(spoilers for the entire series below)

Palpatine tells Anakin about his master Darth Plagueis the Wise who had the ability to cheat death. It is heavily implied that Plagueis also manipulated the force itself to create life.

Look who had no 'father' in Star Wars - Anakin.

Listen to the music that plays when Palpatine discusses Plagueis - sound familiar?

That's right - almost identical to the music that plays when Snoke appears.

Snoke is most likely Darth Plagueis, the one responsible for the entire Skywalker lineage, he already has Vader's grandson in his grip and now it appears he is after Vader's granddaughter.

Ren also refers to Snoke as being very wise and also mentions that he wanted a clone army - Plagueis was likewise a fan of clone armies

The entire saga is about the Skywalker family and Lucas himself said he wants to know what happens to Vader's grandchildren. This ties together the entire series.

Re Snoke:
    Snoke was one character that really frustrated me. I understand that this is a trilogy and that he is likely part of the bigger picture but I hate how little information was given about him in this movie as a standalone piece. The fact that he was just hologram and 'alien' seemed very cheap.

I did immediately presume he was Plagueis by his appearance and power (Im reading Darth Plagueis at the moment), but I thought it was safe to assume he was dead. If not, where has he been hiding the past 6 movies!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

That's silly. I was hoping I had missed something.

Well, Jedi/sith have the whole enhanced speed/agility thing and can run very fast and jump very high/far with the use of the force.

see here, skip to 1:00:

• Advertisement

nix wrote: »
    Well, Jedi/sith have the whole enhanced speed/agility thing and can run very fast and jump very high/far with the use of the force.

Which is saved exclusively for when they're out of the scene

Re Snoke:
    Snoke was one character that really frustrated me. I understand that this is a trilogy and that he is likely part of the bigger picture but I hate how little information was given about him in this movie as a standalone piece. The fact that he was just hologram and 'alien' seemed very cheap.

I did immediately presume he was Plagueis by his appearance and power (Im reading Darth Plagueis at the moment), but I thought it was safe to assume he was dead. If not, where has he been hiding the past 6 movies!?

I am sure all of that can be explained

It would be more problematic if he is NOT Plagueis as how would they explain Palpatine not knowing of his presence

Whereas his master Darth Plagueis had knowledge of the force beyond even Palpatine including cheating death and creating life. I'm sure they could say Palpatine thought him dead but in fact Plagueis was just hiding in the shadows biding his time (much like Palpatine managed to hide from the Jedi)

Kylo wouldn't be at that skill level yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

So what is the general feeling here, is Rey

a)
    Luke's daughter
    b)
    Kylos sister

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

It would be more problematic if he is NOT Plagueis as how would they explain Palpatine not knowing of his presence

Whereas his master Darth Plagueis had knowledge of the force beyond even Palpatine including cheating death and creating life. I'm sure they could say Palpatine thought him dead but in fact Plagueis was just hiding in the shadows biding his time (much like Palpatine managed to hide from the Jedi)

That would be awesome!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Snoke:
    If he turns out to be Plagueis it’ll be because Johnson or Trevorrow like this fan theory, don’t totally hate the prequels and think that would be a cool way to tie the trilogies together. I find it unlikely Abrams or Kasdan even knew who Plagueis was when they wrote Snoke. And even of they did his association with the prequels and midichlorians would eliminate any possibility of them using him.

Snoke is Jar Jar

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Kermode reviewing Star Wars now

py2006 wrote: »

a)
    Luke's daughter
    b)
    Kylos sister

Check my post earlier RE Rey, but I think it could be (B). But they'd have to explain it well.
    david75 wrote: »
    Kylo wouldn't be at that skill level yet.

I wouldn't be surprised...
    He can stop a laser and has been trained by Luke Skywalker as well as someone who could possibly be Dath Plaguesis. (as below)

True.

That would make me a lot more excited for the trilogy and make Kylo Ren even more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭The barber of chewbacca

py2006 wrote: »

a)
    Luke's daughter
    b)
    Kylos sister
    Maybe she's both :-0 (ancient Egyptians used to interbreed to preserve a pure bloodline:))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

faceman wrote: »
    Kermode reviewing Star Wars now

what's he thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

The final scene, for me was awesome...but seemed so unlike any of the original 3...

Hope: Death Star gone, get medals
    Empire: Lando and Chew leave to get Han back
    Jedi: Happy ending

Force: We see Luke and Rei, she hands him saber...and end credits...awesome

Just me?

Domhnall Gleeson was a complete bastard in it. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The final scene, for me was awesome...but seemed so unlike any of the original 3...

Hope: Death Star gone, get medals
    Empire: Lando and Chew leave to get Han back
    Jedi: Happy ending

Force: We see Luke and Rei, she hands him saber...and end credits...awesome

Just me?

I choked up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Domhnall Gleeson was a complete bastard in it. Fair play to him.

Yeah I really liked him, he's so good at playing a toady little shít

Check my post earlier RE Rey, but I think it could be (B). But they'd have to explain it well.

I wouldn't be surprised...
    He can stop a laser and has been trained by Luke Skywalker as well as someone who could possibly be Dath Plaguesis. (as below)

True.

That would make me a lot more excited for the trilogy and make Kylo Ren even more interesting.

As has been said I think Rey has unmanned Kylo completely after their 'session' together. He's that strong in the first half but she's stripped him of all confidence in act two so perhaps he can usually 'do stuff' but he's so freaked out about her his talents have left him

There's a thing called collider Jedi council. Three lads sit around talking everything Star Wars. They're doing their review on YouTube later tonight with spoilers. Can't wait. They really know their **** and will probably be able to make pretty accurate guesses on all the questions we have/you will have after seeing it

Snoke:
    If he turns out to be Plagueis it’ll be because Johnson or Trevorrow like this fan theory, don’t totally hate the prequels and think that would be a cool way to tie the trilogies together. I find it unlikely Abrams or Kasdan even knew who Plagueis was when they wrote Snoke. And even of they did his association with the prequels and midichlorians would eliminate any possibility of them using him.
    Williams use of leitmotif in the series is his trademark - it is no coincidence that the score links Snoke with the Plagueis story in revenge of the sith.

And Abrams and Kasdan absolutely know about Plagueis, as does Daisy Ridley. Abrams and Kasdan have to consult with the Starwars storytelling group who are responsible for maintaining the integrity of the canon so that all the films, books, comics, games etc are faithful to the overall story and do not contradict each other.

At a press conference a fan asked Kasdan directly about Plagueis and Kasdans reaction was telling. He pretended to not hear the guy and jokingly said "Darth Vegas?" before handing the question to Abrams who looked like he couldn't get rid of the question quick enough, just mumbling a no and quickly moving on. In an interview with Daisy Ridley she was asked if her staff belonged to Darth Plagueis and she quickly said no it is just a staff, despite it looking remarkably similar.

The signs all point to it being Plagueis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

New Hope then Empire, then Attack then Revenge then Return, ignore Menace complete, that's the best order :D

So Machete order?
    http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

what's he thinking?

He wanted to be uber spoiler free so review was short. Said he really enjoyed it and full of praise.

Advertisement