Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thread wasn’t open to spoilers before, Kirby, so your post should have been tagged. I’ve edited it. But by quoting it to berate you, JustTheOne is just as guilty of spreading spoilers. For future reference, folks, if you come across an untagged spoiler in a thread, please report it.

We usually try and wait a few days to a week before opening a thread to spoilers so people can read some spoiler-free reactions to the film, but I couldn’t be bothered trying to enforce spoiler tags, so I’m opening it up now. The thread is just a big wall of blacked out text anyway.

SPOILERS FROM THIS POST ONWARD. IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THE FILM YET, STOP READING. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

It's a totally different story. This is about the
    search for Luke skywalker.
    That's a whole new story. Everything else in it is just set up for that

well they did, in the prequels and they sucked...for me it was an almost perfect star wars movie

These are the same people that complained that the prequels weren't enough like Star Wars haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

david75 wrote: »
    On that point on the second viewing I noticed
    when Kylo is talking to Vaders helmet he TWICE says to it , show me again the power of the dark side' or words to that effect, so you're left wondering has he been communicating with Vaders ghost? And is Vader actually in the dark side still?

We're DEFINITELY getting force ghost of either Vader or yoda next film
    I wouldn't be surprised if it is revealed that Snoke is tricking him in some way so we may see a few "hallucination" or "dream" sequences related to that.

Would be interesting if the next one gives more insight into both Sith and Jedi training methods and builds up to the two apprentices having a showdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

Anyone else get excited and think they were going to run into Lando when Solo said he was going to meet an old friend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Kirby wrote: »
    Was C3PO's
    red arm
    ever explained anywhere? :p

Its explained in a new comic allot of things that were covered in the film will be explained in the comics

orubiru wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if it is revealed that Snoke is tricking him in some way so we may see a few "hallucination" or "dream" sequences related to that.

Would be interesting if the next one gives more insight into both Sith and Jedi training methods and builds up to the two apprentices having a showdown.

Good catch. I had the same thought re him being tricked or mislead somehow as Palpatine does to Anakin with the dreams and bullish!ttin to him in order to control him more and more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Kirby wrote: »
    Again, we get it. We understand it. Some of us just dont agree with it.

An all powerful villain is one thing and a weak and vulnerable villain is another. But to show both in the same film just doesnt work in my eyes. We are told tales of how strong and ruthless he is and we are shown him being so in the first half of the film. And then being fairly inept at the end.

It's worth mentioning that he comes off as strong and ruthless when he's in command of his troops, but falters when he's faced with actual duel or emotional connection to the victim. It seems that it's easier for him to assume authority and have Captain Phasma at hand to implement it, but in a personal fight or kill his insecurity takes over.

That and the fact that Rey
    is stronger than him with the force and he knows it. Remember the bit when they're both trying to force grab the lightsaber? Shoots past him to her

More than a match for him and he knows it and is brickin himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

I read that more as a sword in the stone kind of moment. It just wasn't meant for him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A few thoughts:

On Snoke:
    Abrams said he’s not a Sith. Or at least he said Ren isn’t. Which would seem to rule out his master as well. Abrams did a lot in this film to make the Force more inclusive and not just a Jedi thing. It stands to reason the dark side isn’t just a Sith thing either.

On Rey:
    I got some Amazing Spider-Man vibes from the stuff about her parents. I’m not sure this is a road anyone wants the trilogy going down. Why can’t she just be an orphan who finds a new family instead of there being another bullsh*t “you’re my sister”-type twist, which Abrams totally avoids with Ren in Awakens. Maybe Johnson has something else up his sleeve, a twist to rival the power of “I am your father”, but “You’re my daughter” ain’t it. And with Luke and Leia still around it’s not like this trilogy has to add more Skywalkers into the mix to continue the family theme. Also: Abrams said, and the casting calls back him up, that Rey could have been any race.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Was anyone else half hoping that Kylo Ren turned out to be Luke? I mean, there were theories before hand about it and it would have needed quite an explanation, but could have turned the whole movie on its head.

Was anyone else half hoping that Kylo Ren turned out to be Luke? I mean, there were theories before hand about it and it would have needed quite an explanation, but could have turned the whole movie on its head.

God no, that theory was daft. Not to mention totally at odds with Luke's character.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,617 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I thought:
    I thought there was a chance that Luke could turn out to be the Sith Lord master to Kylo Ren, Ren being the apprentice. but didn't think Kylo would be Luke.

I think messed up, guilt-ridden and broken Luke is potentially far more interesting than dark side Luke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Red King wrote: »
    God no, that theory was daft. Not to mention totally at odds with Luke's character.

It's also be hilarious trying to transition the vast differences in physique.

Off topic but it was Such a bad idea for whoever owns the Star Trek franchise to put the trailer for Beyond before the force awakens

I hate comparing but it looks soooo bad by comparison.
    Outclassed completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

It's a totally different story. This is about the
    search for Luke skywalker.
    That's a whole new story. Everything else in it is just set up for that

Same ole, same ole.
    Hmm, Father son thing in effect. A massive planet killing weapon that gets destroyed by X-Wing pilots aided of course by a ground force of our heroes who must of course lower the shields :P Luke is almost an after thought in this film. A setup to get people to buy into the next Star Wars film. I was looking forward to seeing him in the film.. not one line of dialogue. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It seemed to me that Leia recognised Rey when they met and that she's definitely someone she knew. Depending on how long Luke had been missing, it could tie in with her being left on Jakku. Having the Millenium Falcon there for her to use when she needed it seems like something that had to be planned too.

Think it's the obvious really- she's either Luke's daughter or Han and Leia's who left her there after failing with Kylo.

It still amazes me that people are surprised when the first part of a trilogy doesn't answer all the questions.

I mean wtf?

• Advertisement

Same ole, same ole.
    Hmm, Father son thing in effect. A massive planet killing weapon that gets destroyed by X-Wing pilots aided of course by a ground force of our heroes who must of course lower the shields :P Luke is almost an after thought in this film. A setup to get people to buy into the next Star Wars film. I was looking forward to seeing him in the film.. not one line of dialogue. Disappointing.

You couldn't have him in this film for any length. He's the next part of the story. There's already a ton of stuff going on, it's almost too busy.
    The next one will be all about him.

No pleasing some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Red King wrote: »

Well before I saw the movie there seemed to be an impression that Ren wasn't a truly 'bad guy'. There was a possibility that he was more of a mysterious mercenary that just happened to be aligned with the First Order at the time.

Obviously you very quickly realise this isn't the case. Still would have been an interesting direction for a powerful Jedi looking to disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

We're told
    by han that Ren slaughtered the other students and Luke thought it was his fault that's why he left

I just watched the movie for a second time, and Han clearly states that Luke built a Jedi training school, and Ren destroyed it.

No mention of anybody being slaughtered (of course he may well have murdered the students - just like Anakin - but I have a feeling that he was the class bully and managed to get his friends to turn with him)

I don’t really see any evidence in the film for Rey being a Skywalker or a Solo. Caring parents generally don’t abandon their children on distant planets and never come back. Luke and Leia were effectively orphaned and left in the hands of capable caretakers. Rey had nobody. She’s almost certainly connected to Luke’s academy in some way, but that doesn’t make her his daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

You couldn't have him in this film for any length. He's the next part of the story. There's already a ton of stuff going on, it's almost too busy.
    The next one will be all about him.

No pleasing some people.

Seems more like a marketing maneuver rather than a decent story.
    Keep Luke out of the film until the next one to rake in the money.
    Its an entertaining film but I think they just threw anything into this film to rake in the cash and get us to the next film. Hence the unoriginal story and
    find Luke gig.

I don’t really see any evidence in the film for Rey being a Skywalker or a Solo. Caring parents generally don’t abandon their children on distant planets and never come back. Luke and Leia were effectively orphaned and left in the hands of capable caretakers. Rey had nobody. She’s almost certainly connected to Luke’s academy in some way, but that doesn’t make her his daughter.

We do t know that max Von sydows character wasn't watching over her as Obi wan did Luke, from a distance

I'm thinking
    he had the map in his keeping for when she came to him going my parents don't seem to be coming back do you know how I can find them? But the rise of the first order has forced leia to send Poe to get the map back cos they need to find Luke now, and leia knows Rey is Lukes daughter but doesn't tell her cos it's not her place to, she should hear that from Luke firsthand

• Registered Users Posts: 45,617 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My guess is that she was a member of the Jedi school, possibly the only member to survive Ren destroying it, and when Luke went into hiding he placeed her on Jakku, away from Ren.

When Ren is told Fin/the droid have escaped - with a girl - it is the mention of a girl that gets his back up. This, seemingly random, girl gets his interest for what should be no reason. In my opinion, it is in his mind that some girl is going to be important to his place and position at some point - which leads me to believe that Rey and him CERTAINLY have a connection, and it is likely via Luke. It could be she is his daughter, but Leia and Han never say it and I believe they would know of her. It could be that she is Luke's daughter and Leia simply doesn't consider it her place to reveal that, but I would put my money on her being from the Jedi school, and having been a class mate of Ren's.

As for her being abandoned on Jakku, it is basically what happened to Luke to protect him from Vader; so not a stretch to think it could be done again to protect a child from a Sith looking to kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I don’t really see any evidence in the film for Rey being a Skywalker or a Solo. Caring parents generally don’t abandon their children on distant planets and never come back. Luke and Leia were effectively orphaned and left in the hands of capable caretakers

Thought about that too but remembered the old guy at the start that gave Poe the map fragment. Luke obviously gave it to him and I don't think it's a stretch to think that he was put on Jakku to keep an eye on Rey in the same way Obi Wan did with Luke.

My guess is that she was a member of the Jedi school, possibly the only member to survive Ren destroying it, and when Luke went into hiding he placeed her on Jakku, away from Ren.

When Ren is told Fin/the droid have escaped - with a girl - it is the mention of a girl that gets his back up. This, seemingly random, girl gets his interest for what should be no reason. In my opinion, it is in his mind that some girl is going to be important to his place and position at some point - which leads me to believe that Rey and him CERTAINLY have a connection, and it is likely via Luke. It could be she is his daughter, but Leia and Han never say it and I believe they would know of her. It could be that she is Luke's daughter and Leia simply doesn't consider it her place to reveal that, but I would put my money on her being from the Jedi school, and having been a class mate of Ren's.

As for her being abandoned on Jakku, it is basically what happened to Luke to protect him from Vader; so not a stretch to think it could be done again to protect a child from a Sith looking to kill them.

She very clearly says to Han 'you knew Luke skywalker?!!!' Showing she thought him a mythological person. That on its own shows us she wasn't trained by him

• Advertisement

Rey’s situation is not comparable to that Luke. He had his aunt and uncle. And Leia had her adopted parents. Rey was living in the desert by herself. She needed more than an Obi-wan-like character watching over her from afar. Plus there’s nothing to suggest she even knew Sydow’s character. It seems like an important thing to set up if they are going to make something of it.

Advertisement