Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,617 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

david75 wrote: »
    She very clearly says to Han 'you knew Luke skywalker?!!!' Showing she thought him a mythological person. That on its own shows us she wasn't trained by him

Her memories from the time before she got to Jakku seem non-existent (possibly a Jedi Mind trick reason but that is pure guess work). We see a fleeting memory of her being "abandoned" but from what we see she doesn't remember WHO abandoned her, but she is sure they will come back for her. To me, it is implied (and you are clearly justified to say you disagree as it is a fairly week point) that her first clear memories are from being left on Jakku. If she simply can't remember anything from before that - traumatically forgotten, forced to forget - then she wouldn't have conscious knowledge of Luke/Han etc.

My guess is also the speed at which she learns to use the force will be tied to the "fact" (if my guess is correct) that at a sub-conscious level she already knows who to embrace it via the training she has forgotten.

I just don't think she will turn out to be a random girl who is (incredibly) strong in the force - there will be a strong link to Kylo Ren, and it will be via Luke - be that as a teacher or father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Daisy said in an interview that the question of her patents would be answered in TFA.

Obviously this didn't happen but I'd put money on her being a Skywalker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Rey’s situation is not comparable to that Luke. He had his aunt and uncle. And Leia had her adopted parents. Rey was living in the desert by herself. She needed more than an Obi-wan-like character watching over her from afar. Plus there’s nothing to suggest she even knew Sydow’s character. It seems like an important thing to set up if they are going to make something of it.

But she didn't though, she managed very well by herself.

It's not impossible that she's Luke's daughter. Rylo turns on Luke, destroys the academy, Luke disappears. Mother (whoever that might be) leaves Rey on Jakku to keep her away from the First Order, doesn't tell anyone and gets killed, everyone assumes they're both dead. Maybe she paid someone off to take care of Rey for a short while, and when she didn't return they turfed Rey out and she had to fend for herself.

There's obviously some connection to Luke there, whether through genetics or because he trained her, otherwise they just would have explained why she was left there, and given what a family saga the franchise is I wouldn't rule out her being his daughter, though it wouldn't be my favourite thing to happen.

I am pretty sure she said to BB8 at one point 'my family are coming back', but I'm not sure, I'll keep an eye out on the rewatch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

py2006 wrote: »
    The opening crawl for anyone who wants to see it again:

https://vid.me/qa3w

Obviously spoilery so avoid if not yet seen.

Nice.

It must have been the sound system I saw it with last night and I know Williams got another conductor to conduct the opening and closing themes but, the opening vamp of the theme didn't have the same "oomph" it usually did when I saw any of the other six in the cinema but, even on that video there it sounds a lot, lot better than what I remember from last night.

EDIT: Hmm, actually, it looks like someone put it together themselves with a crawl creator and that particular theme isn't from TFA.

Another interesting thing about Snoke & Kylo and who Snoke might be...
    Snoke waits to see if Kylo can pass his test (killing his father) before completing his training

Which is exactly the same test that Palpatine had to pass for his master...

Darth Plagueis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

R2 started to come to life again when Rey was close, he surely picked up on something was my first thought.
    Also why was she allowed go find Luke?
    Surely something that important wouldn't have been left to novice unless there's a connection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

golfball37 wrote: »
    R2 started to come to life again when Rey was close, he surely picked up on something was my first thought.
    Surely something that important wouldn't have been left to novice unless there's a connection.

Seriously?
    She was sent to find Luke, by leia. You need to watch it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

There was a connection. She was a Jedi. Luke left after Kylo Ren ruined his Jedi training school. So makes sense to send a new pupil for him to train to convince him to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

I think it was the yoke with the glasses in the tavern that aksed rey the girl jedi something and rey said I'm waiting for my family to return for me. The yoke said something along the lines of 'they will not seek /return to you but there is one left'. I assume that's luke and he's her father. Also the black dude is the new han solo. I thought when han was getting killed he also looked like he was having a stroke.:o

There was a connection. She was a Jedi. Luke left after Kylo Ren ruined his Jedi training school. So makes sense to send a new pupil for him to train to convince him to come back.

Once again she clearly has never met Luke

Remember the convo with Han on the falcon?

'You knew Luke skywalker??'
    He was a figure of legend and myth for her to that point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

It seemed to me that Leia recognised Rey when they met and that she's definitely someone she knew.

I'd have to rewatch the scene but I didn't pick up this vibe at all. It just looked to me like Leia spotted someone on her own grieving just like her. Given she sensed Han's death it's not a stretch to imagine she sensed Rey's affection for him and the grief she felt at his loss.

Jedi mind trick could easily explain her not remembering Luke and her early childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

lalababa wrote: »
    I think it was the yoke with the glasses in the tavern that aksed rey the girl jedi something and rey said I'm waiting for my family to return for me. The yoke said something along the lines of 'they will not seek /return to you but there is one left'. I assume that's luke and he's her father. Also the black dude is the new han solo. I thought when han was getting killed he also looked like he was having a stroke.:o

She said whoever it is she was waiting on wouldn't be coming back and that the belonging she sought was ahead of her and not in the past. Don't think she mentioned anything about there being one of her family left.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I absolutely loved it. Need to see it again though, before it will properly sink in.

Are we assuming that Finn is also force sensitive? Ren looks at him on the planet after the other Stormtroopers killed the villagers, and he immediately mentions Finn when someone mentions that a Stormtrooper helped Poe escape. He was pretty decent with a lightsaber as well, though that could be more to do with his training as a soldier.

My only issues were a lack of Luke, and how quickly Finn turned. At first, i though he was going to have been brainwashed when reporting to get his weapon checked, but that wasn't the case. The desctruction of the Republic planets didn't seem to bother anyone. Also, was it just me or was Captain Phasma (****ing stupid name) utterly pointless? She did absolutely nothing, bar disable the shield. Guess they just wanted a familar(ish) face for someone for that scene. Also also, 2 years till the next one :(

And where was the Republic fleet? Was it destroyed with the planets? They mentioned that half the fleet was destroyed when a few X-Wings were shot down, but surely they have some bigger ships?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

Kiith wrote: »
    I absolutely loved it. Need to see it again though, before it will properly sink in.

Are we assuming that Finn is also force sensitive? Ren looks at him on the planet after the other Stormtroopers killed the villagers, and he immediately mentions Finn when someone mentions that a Stormtrooper helped Poe escape. He was pretty decent with a lightsaber as well, though that could be more to do with his training as a soldier.

Kylo sensed after the massacre that Finn was conflicted and despised what the First Order did to the villagers. He just knew who it was when he was told that one of them helped Poe escape.

Kiith wrote: »

My only issues were a lack of Luke, and how quickly Finn turned. At first, i though he was going to have been brainwashed when reporting to get his weapon checked, but that wasn't the case. The desctruction of the Republic planets didn't seem to bother anyone. Also, was it just me or was Captain Phasma (****ing stupid name) utterly pointless? She did absolutely nothing, bar disable the shield. Guess they just wanted a familar(ish) face for someone for that scene. Also also, 2 years till the next one :(

And where was the Republic fleet? Was it destroyed with the planets? They mentioned that half the fleet was destroyed when a few X-Wings were shot down, but surely they have some bigger ships?

Read the crawl scroll at the start again. Leia is leading a mission with a few divisions of military to find Luke. Leia and the other generals aren't all that's left, she's on a special op to find Luke in response to a threat the republic can't answer ie rise of a new dark force threat.

Ps it's not coruscant we see getting blown up. Just a random planet within the republic. Ther s billions of planets in the galaxy blah blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

What are you talking about ? Who said she knew Luke ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Tigger wrote: »
    Max is bobba i reckon, he's the right age

That's a really good shout I think.

karma_ wrote: »
    That's a really good shout I think.

Makes no sense. For several reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

She was first mate on the MF. It was her ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Clareman wrote: »
    New Hope then Empire, then Attack then Revenge then Return, ignore Menace complete, that's the best order :D

Yeah, Machete Order is probably the best for a first ever watch. I'd throw the animated series in too though, decent watch.

Myrddin wrote: »

4) I thought Rey's 'awakening' with the force was a bit, disconnected with what we've seen before. At the rate she's learning how to use the force, she'd be a Jedi Knight in a matter of weeks. However, I didn't find fault with her battling Ren, because we'd seen she was already very proficient with a staff...so substituting that for a light sabre, while facing a not fully trained Ren, balanced out for me. Fin fighting Ren was stretching it though, but I suspect given the storm troopers seemed to get sword fighting training as standard, it's perhaps not too much of a stretch - but is still a stretch!
    I think that scene is there solely to establish that stormtroopers are martially trained to use such a weapon which would then explain how well Finn could match kylo in that fight. I agree tho, that was very odd.

faceman wrote: »

I believe its impossible to see where the character can go because of how well they demonstrated his conflict. Driver did a great job in the role. Remember the OT and Luke? Despite the temptation presented to Luke, the overwhelming pressure from the dark side, we always knew he wouldn't turn. But with Ren, he's unpredictable. Its too early to guess if he will turn back or go darker.

These are the kind of discussions I love and Im delighted its finally happening once again with Star Wars. :)
    I don't think impossible. I think it's now clear that a lot of themes from the originals are being followed closely and redemption is one of the biggest. Here is a character I think we will become increasingly sympathetic to.

Red King wrote: »
    Makes no sense. For several reasons.

It's fun to speculate. What reasons, out of curiosity? I know all of the old canon was thrown out but I read some of it back in the day and I know a possible friendship was something explored.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Re: Faceman’s point about whether Ren will turn back or go darker

I wonder if there’s any way back for him after killing his own father? Even Anakin never did such a thing. And even if there is, who is left who could possibly get through to him enough to pull him back? Anakin’s redemption was only made possible by his son. Who does Ren have? Leia I suppose, but this isn’t really her story and after Han’s death she may have lost all hope for him. If the look on Luke’s face at the end is anything to go by, I’m not sure he has any either.

What are you talking about ? Who said she knew Luke ??

Read the previous posts

Read the previous posts
    but she seems not to remember anything prior to Jakku; which would mean she doesn't remember Luke if there is a connection to him. So her not knowing Luke NOW doesn't mean she never did.

As I said previously, Kylo Ren's reaction to hearing Finn and BB-8 escaped with a woman is telling imo. He has a fear of some woman - and Rey having some relation to him (blood or otherwise) makes sense of that.

I reckon it will be Rey was trained by Luke, and was the last or the only survivor of the kids being trained at Luke's academy; and she was abandoned on Jakku for her safety.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What’s safe about being left to fend for yourself on Jakku? Remember the Empire is gone and the First Order is a recent development. Why leave her alone on some dangerous outer rim desert world when she could be far safer in the Republic?

What’s safe about being left to fend for yourself on Jakku? Remember the Empire is gone and the First Order is a recent development. Why leave her alone on some dangerous outer rim desert world when she could be far safer in the Republic?

I'm hoping it will be explained. I don't have all the answers as I have only seen as much as you have - but from a storytelling perspective there has to be a lot more to her than just being some random girl on a random planet who was abandoned by unimportant random people for no reason.

I think it would be weird for her abandonment to be just a side note, especially when she can't remember who abandoned her - the explanation of that will be connected to the overall story.

I think it would be weird if some random girl just happens to be caught up in all of this, while being extremely strong in the force (more so than the trained son of Leia).

I think it would be weird that you would have the lightsaber calling to her, and the connected vision, if there she is just some random girl.

I think Ren being concerned that Finn and BB8 had escaped with a woman would be really odd if there wasn't a specific connection between himself and a force strong woman in the past. Just some random girl? Ok, who cares? Could it be Luke's daugter? Could it be the remaining apprentice from the academy? That could be a cause for concern.

I would simply find it very odd if Rey just turns out to be an utterly new and unconnected force strong person to be a lead protagonist in the fate of the galaxy.

• Advertisement

Who also bears a strong resemblance to Leia and Padme. I mean come on!

Advertisement