Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I saw this in the Savoy Screen 1 on opening night and wow the sound and picture was amazing. You could almost feel the vibration in the theatre as the light sabre lit up.

Great atmosphere in the place too, its been years since I was in the Savoy. For the last several years I have been going to the usual multi cinemas in shopping centres and I now think they lack the cinema atmosphere of old. Plus I am fairly certain now that the picture quality isn't great in the one in Blanch.

Is the Savoy Screen 1 the best place in Dublin for sound and picture quality?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There is an unmentioned elephant in the room. Who are the writers for the next 2 movies and after they rhe same as TFA? Who is in charge for coming up with the treatment. As in who is the new Lucas who determines where this goes?

Anyway back to theories. For anyone saying Star Wars is about the Skywalkers, it still is.
    Ren is of Skywalker lineage and he is obviously going to be pivotal in the trilogy. Star Wars don't do flashback sequences so the any complicated backstory is not going to have an elaborate tale of Ren and Rey being separated at birth IMO. My money is still on her not being a Skywalker.

Then again if the new movies are anything like how Lost went, the filmmakers probably don't know themselves how this will end. Which was something that annoyed me immensely about Lost.

Also, he definitely said Ben.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

faceman wrote: »
    There is an unmentioned elephant in the room. Who are the writers for the next 2 movies and after they rhe same as TFA? Who is in charge for coming up with the treatment. As in who is the new Lucas who determines where this goes?

Anyway back to theories. For anyone saying Star Wars is about the Skywalkers, it still is.
    Ren is of Skywalker lineage and he is obviously going to be pivotal in the trilogy. Star Wars don't do flashback sequences so the any complicated backstory is not going to have an elaborate tale of Ren and Rey being separated at birth IMO. My money is still on her not being a Skywalker.

Then again if the new movies are anything like how Lost went, the filmmakers probably don't know themselves how this will end. Which was something that annoyed me immensely about Lost.

Also, he definitely said Ben.

They know exactly where it is going. The next writer and director is Rian Johnson who directed Looper and the excellent Ozymandias episode of Breaking Bad (along with a few others).

JJ is producer and Rian already had the script for Episode 8 finished before Episode 7 had finished filming. The two directors consulted each other throughout the process of filming and writing and Rian Johnson visited the set.

The only worry I have is with Episode 9 as it is being directed by Colin Trevorrow. I hope Disney change their mind with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Definitely said Ben, obviously named after Obi Wan. Probably didn't want to risk naming him Anakin in case people calling him Annie caused him to turn evil.

Have only scanned through this thread as there were a lot of pages between when I jumped out because I felt people wouldn't be able to contain spoilers and when I actually seen the movie but I also thought that Ren had killed the other students. There is a scene in Rey's vision that shows him standing over bodies, and would Luke go into hiding if his nephew had turned to the dark side given how he sought to redeem Vader? Having the deaths of his students on his conscience would do it though.

The more I think of the film other than the repetition in the storyline the main things that I didn't like were standard movie clichés like the creatures on Han's ship devouring everyone in sight until they got hold of Finn. And Ren not just freezing Rey in place during their duel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

faceman wrote: »

Nobody as I pointed out earlier. This is my biggest concern. Lucas might have been making everything up as as he went along, but he had an investment in tying everything together and making it work as a saga. It was his story.

This trilogy started out with Arndt in this role with Lucas consulting. Both have since departed and Lucas has no story credit, so I’m guessing his treatments have been mostly abandoned bar a few elements (the lightsaber seems like something he would have come up with). It remains to be seen how much post-Lucas material Arndt developed for the sequels before leaving and whether Johnson (who likes to write his own stuff) used any of it.

Abrams has a very seat-of-the-pants approach to filmmaking and there’s nothing to suggest the production of TFA was any different. They were changing the gender of characters weeks before production, re-writing as they shot, dropping sub-plots and basically figuring out who all the characters were as they cast them. All very typical of Abrams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Just on the Star Wars don't do flash back sequences. They would probably get around this with another Jedi vision/mind meld with Luke helping Rey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Was disappointed with Captain Phasma, built up to be a strong main character and all she does is single handily destroy Star killer base to safe her own skin.

Only real pet hate in a otherwise great movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

When is the sequel to The Force Awakens out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

When is the sequel to The Force Awakens out?

Summer 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Have listened to the Soundtrack album a few times, it grows on you the more you hear it.

I've collected most of John Williams' soundtracks over the years and this is one of his better ones, that harkens back to his style of the 70's and 80's with some new twists.

You can hear echoes of his earlier work in Jaws, ET, Indiana Jones and Star Wars of course, throughout this album.

Rey's Theme is one of the most emotive and uplifting themes John Williams has written, I hope it's used throughout the new Trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I thought it was great. Better than return of the jedi but not as good as the other two in the ot. The new cast are great and john boyega was the pick of the new bunch for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Wedwood wrote: »
    Have listened to the Soundtrack album a few times, it grows on you the more you hear it.

I've collected most of John Williams' soundtracks over the years and this is one of his better ones, that harkens back to his style of the 70's and 80's with some new twists.

You can hear echoes of his earlier work in Jaws, ET, Indiana Jones and Star Wars of course, throughout this album.

Rey's Theme is one of the most emotive and uplifting themes John Williams has written, I hope it's used throughout the new Trilogy.

Just listening to it now, the 'Jedi Steps and Finale' piece is wonderful.
    At the start you can visualise the scene were Rey is walking up the steps of Skeillig and eventually reaches the top. Then the music changes to Lukes theme as we see him slowly turn towards the camera.
    goosebumps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Red King wrote: »
    They know exactly where it is going. The next writer and director is Rian Johnson who directed Looper and the excellent Ozymandias episode of Breaking Bad (along with a few others).

JJ is producer and Rian already had the script for Episode 8 finished before Episode 7 had finished filming. The two directors consulted each other throughout the process of filming and writing and Rian Johnson visited the set.

The only worry I have is with Episode 9 as it is being directed by Colin Trevorrow. I hope Disney change their mind with him.

Trevorrow is such an awful choice it's hard to know what Disney are thinking. Jurassic World is not just a big dumb blockbuster, it's also astoundingly sexist (the sadistic death dealt out to the female minder character was a particularly low point). He is completely wrong for this franchise and especially now it's fronted by a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Trevorrow is a ****ing hack, even his "acclaimed indie" was blandly directed and generic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The Collider jedi council spoiler review is up. These guys really know their stuff so give it a watch. They'll be better able to make educated guesseds about all the questions we have.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJoTyNikmZc&feature=youtu.be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

ricero wrote: »
    I thought it was great. Better than return of the jedi but not as good as the other two in the ot. The new cast are great and john boyega was the pick of the new bunch for me.

Have to agree, boyega and Rey. The chemistry between them was fantastic.
    Based on how Leia hugged her I'd suggest she is han and leias daughter.( hope I'm in the right thread for speculation!..on touch site)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Wedwood wrote: »

Completely agree with this. When I heard it first, it was so different to Williams's usual work I had to double check it was him during the credits.

Absolutely gorgeous music writing, and used very well, particularly on Jakku.

e_e wrote: »
    Trevorrow is a ****ing hack, even his "acclaimed indie" was blandly directed and generic.

When did everyone start bashing Safety Not Guaranteed? It’s a excellent film. Having said that, how Trevorrow went from a small indie to directing Jurassic Park and Star Wars, I don’t know. When Brad Bird was up for The Force Awakens he suggested Trevorrow oversee pre-production while he finished Tomorrowland. Crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

When did everyone start bashing Safety Not Guaranteed? It’s a excellent film.
    Honestly I saw it when it came out in the Lighthouse and was so bored by it, one of the most overrated films of the last half decade for me. With the 2 movies he has directed I've found him to be so extremely glib with his characters and themes and without any visual sense, perspective or personality as a director.

I really hope he turns it around for Episode 9 though, especially because of what a woefully misguided, cynical, obnoxious, lazy and ham-fisted mess Jurassic World was.

I think he did a good job with Jurassic World considering how quickly the script was written. I think they wrote it in a few weeks with just the premise from Spielberg to go on. He probably saved that film from a far worse fate.

I’m withholding judgment on him until I see his next film Book of Henry which should be out next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

A quick question - why do the Rebel Alliance and the Republic appear to be separate entities in the film?

Like, I thought the rebel alliance was largely fighting for a restoration for the republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

quad_red wrote: »
    A quick question - why do the Rebel Alliance and the Republic appear to be separate entities in the film?

Like, I thought the rebel alliance was largely fighting for a restoration for the republic?

I get the impression The New Order aren't a threat to the Republic as they stand at the beginning of the film, as in they haven't openly attacked the Republic yet. They're pre-occupied with hunting down Luke, getting rid of him and then focusing on taking over.

Their hand was forced when the Republic sent a team under General Leia to find Luke before they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's one of my big questions as well. Where are the republics armies? Why does the Rebel Alliance now appear to be far weaker than it ever was in the original trilogy? Why does the rebel alliance even still exist when it should have been absorbed into the republic?

And what exactly is this 'clone' army that Supreme Commander Snoke refers to? Is there a reserve army of clonetroopers still in operation as backup to the stormstroopers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

And what exactly is this 'clone' army that Supreme Commander Snoke refers to? Is there a reserve army of clonetroopers still in operation as backup to the stormstroopers?

Snoke wanted a clone army instead of "conditioned" human troops. Hux wanted to train them from scratch and condition their minds for service to the New Order. Hux obviously got his way or persuaded Snoke that that was the way to go.

The Rebel Alliance is gone. The Republic and the Resistance are separate organisations, but the Republic is secretly supporting them. I’m not sure the Republic have their own army, or may have a treaty with the First Order. So it’s a kind of proxy war.

It’s not really made clear.

The mention of a clone army is a just reference to the prequels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Read the crawl again. Leia is on a special ops mission to find Luke. The republic is helping her loaning her some military.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Did he not mention using clones to track them down, though? Maybe I got that mixed, but I thought a reference was used to existing clonetroopers rather than 'we should have used clonetroopers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

Also how's is your one suddenly savage with a light saber, in the other films there being trained since kiddos and Luke Skywalker is with obi wan. Too man holes didn't enjoy it at all and I'm a big fan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm struggling to see what threat the First Order will present in the next movie. Are they going to build another "Starkiller"?

Could we see a departure from traditional Star Wars themes where the danger is on a galactic level and move to threat on a micro level?

• Advertisement

Did he not mention using clones to track them down, though? Maybe I got that mixed, but I thought a reference was used to existing clonetroopers rather than 'we should have used clonetroopers'.

I think what he said was just excuse for Hux to explain that First Order troops are trained from birth and aren’t clones. It sets up Finn’s character.

Advertisement