Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Good film, lots of action and the bad guys are used more dynamically than in the first one, where the storm troopers looked lost in a lot of scenes.

Great cast and chemistry between them, Very little not to like about the film unless I nitpick, I would have liked more development for Kylo Ren, but we will see more of him in the next one, his mask looked so cheap and tacky, metal parts looked plastic.

CGI characters were terrible and should have been done as puppets or prosthetic, Snoke and Katana disappointed me. The giant squid scene could have been cut out completely. The worst part for me was the fact that Ray knew how to use the force and know how to fight with a light-saber with out any explanation, Leia has the force and yet cant use a light-saber or mind trick people. I hope the next film explains she was trained as a kid and had her memory erased.

Other than that it was a damn good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The worst part for me was the fact that Ray knew how to use the force and know how to fight with a light-saber with out any explanation, Leia has the force and yet cant use a light-saber or mind trick people. I hope the next film explains she was trained as a kid and had her memory erased.

Leia hasn't been trained in the Force. Rey already had combat skills so naturally would be able to use a sword that is lit up...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

py2006 wrote: »
    Leia hasn't been trained in the Force. Rey already had combat skills so naturally would be able to use a sword that is lit up...

I disagree, she can look after herself from tugs on the planet she grew up on but using a sword is completely different, as I said it was not explained in the movie but might be in the next one.

I disagree, she can look after herself from tugs on the planet she grew up on but using a sword is completely different, as I said it was not explained in the movie but might be in the next one.

Good point. Although if you were handed a lightsaber, you would know to swing it about and not pick your nose with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

As trolls wage their futile, miserable little boycott against the film...

Urgh. Gonna stop you right there!

I have not read a single post on this thread saying that people should "boycott" Star Wars. Have you?

I see more people whining about "trolls" online these days than there are actual trolls online.

Don't understand why people can't just enjoy a great movie for what it is without trying to attach some dumb justification for why the movie has the "right" message.

We get it, you are an awesome non-racist, non-sexist, person just like 99.9% of the rest of us. Congratulations.

Gross.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

budgemook wrote: »
    What's this xenophobic "yank" talk all about?

In a thread about an American movie too :-D

Xenophobic? I'm actually embarrassed for you :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Every single film is released into a cultural, political and social space - none are immune from that, whether it's a Christian movie, a Michael Moore polemic or indeed your average blockbuster! Obviously some more than others ;) But given some of the conversations that are surrounding the film - from The Atlantic's article on its supposed feminist leanings to the whole #BoycottStarWars thing - it's just as valid a subject as plot speculation or anything like that. :)

Actually, I don't think it is a valid subject at all. It's just silly.

It's just the same as George trying to pretend that the Original Trilogy is some kind of commentary on Vietnam. We all know these films were just a vehicle to sell a ton of merchandise. They are coincidentally good movies and that's awesome but let's not pretend they are actively trying to be some insightful commentary on society.

They are just really fun, really awesome, movies. No need to hijack them with your particular ideology.

If The Atlantic was saying that The Force Awakens was a bold Christian movie and Rey was portraying the "Classic Born Again Christian rediscovering The Word Of Jesus in adulthood" I'd be eye-rolling just as much as I was at the idea that "Rey is Star Wars first Feminist protagonist". Yuck.

I'd rather just keep this toxic nonsense well away from Star Wars. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Iv seen the movie, I can read the internet again now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,617 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Iv seen the movie, I can read to internet again now! :D

Was chatting to one of the guys in the comic book shop in Dundrum yesterday - he said the FIRST person in the door on Thrusday morning looked at a Kylo Ren doll and said "Can't believe Han was his dad and he killed him". No preamble, no question as to whether the comic book guy had seen it, just "BLAH". Now, the guy had seen the movie but still - this idiot wasn't to know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Was chatting to one of the guys in the comic book shop in Dundrum yesterday - he said the FIRST person in the door on Thrusday morning looked at a Kylo Ren doll and said "Can't believe Han was his dad and he killed him". No preamble, no question as to whether the comic book guy had seen it, just "BLAH". Now, the guy had seen the movie but still - this idiot wasn't to know that.

Jesus. "Look at me, I've seen it and I want you to know" syndrome at its finest.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just out from the fourth viewing.
    She starts crying the when she sees Luke on Skellig Michael when he takes his hood down. And his expression corresponds with that. No reason for her to cry she's just been asked to deliver something.

Lukes her dad

david75 wrote: »
    She starts crying the when she sees Luke on Skellig Michael when he takes his hood down. And his expression corresponds with that. No reason for her to cry she's just been asked to deliver something.

Lukes her dad

How have ya the time to see it 4 times????

I can't wait for my second time. For once I'm not talking about sex...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Lukes her dad

I think you might be onto something. If he's not her father, I think she might be one of the jedi he trained before Kylo Ren turned. Somehow her memory has been erased then? Might explain why she was able to hold her own in a fight against Ren.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Red King wrote: »
    The Force Awakens novel implies that Ren knows Rey. She is NOT some randomer. They have history.

When she force grans the saber he says to her - "It IS you!"

Also Leia says that Snoke was whispering in Rens ear since he was a kid and that she tried to protect him from Snoke but to no avail.

Snoke also knows who Rey is.

The real question then is is the novel official?

I think you might be onto something. If he's not her father, I think she might be one of the jedi he trained before Kylo Ren turned. Somehow her memory has been erased then? Might explain why she was able to hold her own in a fight against Ren.

I sincerely hope not. That'd be the most convenient use of deus ex machina since King Richard in that Disney Robin Hood.

If they decided on that, I'd prefer if she was just an unknown with latent Jedi abilities, it'd make more sense.

I'm not hostile to her being Luke's daughter, but it needs to be shown in a coherent and believable way.

ibFoxer wrote: »
    The real question then is is the novel official?

Yes

sheep? wrote: »
    I sincerely hope not. That'd be the most convenient use of deus ex machina since King Richard in that Disney Robin Hood.

If they decided on that, I'd prefer if she was just an unknown with latent Jedi abilities, it'd make more sense.

I'm not hostile to her being Luke's daughter, but it needs to be shown in a coherent and believable way.

It will be. The whole script for episode 8 was finished before 7 started filming and Abrams and Johnson agreed on it plus Abrams is executive producer on 8.

They'll make this Connection in a classy cool way. I have no doubts now.

sheep? wrote: »

The Star Wars saga has always been about the Skywalker lineage.

There are many signs that she is part of the bloodline

It will be. The whole script for episode 8 was finished before 7 started filming and Abrams and Johnson agreed on it plus Abrams is executive producer on 8.

They'll make this Connection in a classy cool way. I have no doubts now.
    Red King wrote: »
    The Star Wars saga has always been about the Skywalker lineage.

There are many signs that she is part of the bloodline

Again, no problem if she's a Skywalker. Just hope it's done well. Memory loss is not a good way of making that connection. (Unless it's really really left field and original, and believable).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I read this review tonight and the penny dropped with me. Fair points all the same.

http://www.themoviewaffler.com/2015/12/new-release-review-star-wars-force.html?m=1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Every single film is released into a cultural, political and social space - none are immune from that, whether it's a Christian movie, a Michael Moore polemic or indeed your average blockbuster! Obviously some more than others ;) But given some of the conversations that are surrounding the film - from The Atlantic's article on its supposed feminist leanings to the whole #BoycottStarWars thing - it's just as valid a subject as plot speculation or anything like that. :)

Above all I believe its unobtrusive, level-headed but still sadly relatively uncommon open-mindedness when it comes to 'diversity' is one of the film's more under-appreciated and nuanced assets, and worth highlighting amid the continued picking apart of the film's narrative. Especially in a year where the year's other most noteworthy blockbuster was explicitly (obnoxiously or admirably, depending on one's point of view) ideologically-driven and feminist-leaning, it's worth putting it into context to see the approaches two very different filmmakers took when it came to introducing active female protagonists to series that have, more or less, been dominated by men thus far :) And as said there's more to Star Wars' diversity than just a female lead - even just within the fiction itself, things like giving a stormtrooper a face and a personality is extending the existing boundaries of the franchise in quite an admirable and dramatically intriguing way. It's a film that embraces the diversity of both 'the real world' and its own world in a more open way than ever before.

My solution to "non diverse" Hollywood is to watch movies from other countries. Sometimes even non-English speaking movies. With some exceptions I watch Hollywood to turn my brain off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Lukes her dad

Or her Jedi instructor.

There's no indication she's lost her memory. She just hasn't talked about her past. Nor has the movie.

But she's obviously trained.

Or her Jedi instructor.

There's no indication she's lost her memory. She just hasn't talked about her past. Nor has the movie.

But she's obviously trained.

Here's the clue

To bb8

Where do you come from?
    Classified?
    Me too. Big secret.

She knows but when she meets leia doesn't know that's her aunt. Leia feels something or does know. We don't see their conversation before Rey leaves for planet Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 45,617 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Here's the clue

To bb8

Where do you come from?
    Classified?
    Me too. Big secret.

She knows but when she meets leia doesn't know that's her aunt. Leia feels something or does know. We don't see their conversation before Rey leaves for planet Ireland
    or its a comment on the fact she doesn't know who she is, and its a joke at her own expense, in a way, that it is a big secret.

I personally don't think she remembers anything prior to arriving on Jakku, and only has a vague memory of the day itself. I think those memories will come back in the next movie.

Here's the dream sequence/flashback Shot badly. But its 100% Obi Wans voice saying 'Rey?' towards the end
    http://s174.photobucket.com/user/dimejinky99/media/2015/2015-12/5AC07B0D-6B05-4604-BBCA-B6CFB6D85543.mp4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

One of the interesting nuances that I picked up on my 2nd viewing was Leia telling Han that she should "never have sent our son away"

Sounds like Ben/Kylo has a bit of a chip on his shoulder about being sent away to his uncles 'boarding school' and was possibly a Mummy's boy and quite spoilt.

I am guessing whilst there that chip festered into resentment and then hatred... Which was what caused him to rebel against Luke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

Here's the dream sequence/flashback Shot badly. But its 100% Obi Wans voice saying 'Rey?' towards the end
    http://s174.photobucket.com/user/dimejinky99/media/2015/2015-12/5AC07B0D-6B05-4604-BBCA-B6CFB6D85543.mp4.html

Why would it be, though? Obi Wan would have been dead about 10 years before she was born. Yeah we know he can appear as a force ghost but, there was never any indication that anyone other than Luke or Yoda could see or hear them. Leia doesn't seem to at the end of RoTJ.

I just think that's grasping at straws. I can hear Max Von Sydows voice in there somewhere, I'd say it'd be more likely to be him. He definitely had a role at the academy as Kylo Ren knew him. He brought Rey to Jakku to hide her after Kylo ran amok.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

A few other have pointed out earlier how much of whinger Anakin was, and how the Kylo character is who Anakin/Hayden Christian should have been in the PT.

But everybody forgets how much of a whinging pain Luke was in the first 2 movies!
    He did nothing but moan his way through ANH and did a hell a lot of moaning on Dagobah.
    And of course Leia was an awful bitch the way she moaned about her rescue plan from the Death star!

Seems in general that the Skywalker bloodline are a bunch of whingers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

geecee wrote: »
    A few other have pointed out earlier how much of whinger Anakin was, and how the Kylo character is who Anakin/Hayden Christian should have been in the PT.

But everybody forgets how much of a whinging pain Luke was in the first 2 movies!
    He did nothing but moan his way through ANH and did a hell a lot of moaning on Dagobah.
    And of course Leia was an awful bitch the way she moaned about her rescue plan from the Death star!

Seems in general that the Skywalker bloodline are a bunch of whingers!

Luke was never arrogant or lusted after power. He was inherently good. Big difference when compared to Anakin.

• Advertisement

Relikk wrote: »
    Why would it be, though? Obi Wan would have been dead about 10 years before she was born. Yeah we know he can appear as a force ghost but, there was never any indication that anyone other than Luke or Yoda could see or hear them. Leia doesn't seem to at the end of RoTJ.

I just think that's grasping at straws. I can hear Max Von Sydows voice in there somewhere, I'd say it'd be more likely to be him. He definitely had a role at the academy as Kylo Ren knew him. He brought Rey to Jakku to hide her after Kylo ran amok.

The lightsaber has been imbued with some sort of force trip that only unlocks when she touches it.
    It's not just a flashback. It's a flash forward. Luke sitting with R2 in the vision hasn't happened yet.
    She's in the force when it happens. Ben is aware of her and calls out to her.

I dunno. Anything is possible now. All I do know is she's Deffo Lukes daughter.

Advertisement