Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

But you don't know, you believe.

That scene with Luke and R2 seems like Luke leaving the map with him before he disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Im thinking when we see Luke touching r2, he's sending him the rest of the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

In her jolt flashback after touching Lukes saber you can see her as a very young kid crying after being abandoned. To me that means she was too young to be already trained...

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Relikk wrote: »
    He definitely had a role at the academy as Kylo Ren knew him. He brought Rey to Jakku to hide her after Kylo ran amok.

do you think there is any possibility that Max Von Sydows character is Kanan from star wars rebels?
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm338023424/ch0414994

His age (4--45 years after Rebels), goatee'd look and build is about right. Also his profile suits as someone to help run a jedi academy, ex jedi who survived the purge and can teach a new generation.

On top of that he knows Bail Organa (Lieas step father) from his rebels days... so there is a fair chance he knew a young Princess Leia (she will always be royalty to me)

And given that rebels is part of official canon it seems logical to tie the two franchises...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

As trolls wage their futile, miserable little boycott against the film (because it has a female lead), it's worth celebrating how calmly, pleasantly progressive The Force Awakens is. While the more explicitly feminist themes and imagery of Mad Max: Fury Road are to be very much admired, we have a different beast here. This isn't a work that rubs its right-on-ness in your face, or feels like some act of liberal grandstanding. It merely offers up a universe where all the characters - regardless of their age, gender or race - have their own fair shot at being a hero or villain, a fascinating lead or a curious side character.

Not to overstate it or anything - not exactly like a transgender character is going to appearing on the Episode VIII posters :pac: - but given the franchise's previously wildly uneven spectrum when it comes to even the most basic diversity (as festive drinking game, rewatch the original trilogy and count the amount of speaking female characters - you'll almost be more sober than you were when you started) it's a pleasure to see the playing field as even here as it should be. But as said there's nothing remotely alienating or boundary pushing about it (obviously the trolls will still find cause for outrage, because that's what they do). It's simply a welcome development to see the biggest blockbuster of recent times driven by female and black lead actors, prominent & active older characters, and supported by all sorts of characters (human and non-human!) in between - and above all for the filmmakers to be confident enough to simply get on with it. That, in a sense, is a step beyond even the sort of explicitly 'politicsed' content seen in the likes of Mad Max.

WHAT!? Is that actually happening for that reason?? :mad:

• Advertisement

Something I find interesting...

When filming in Kerry, Daisy Ridleys stunt double was there too. (She appeared on Britain's got talent showcasing combat skills a few years ago)

Why would her stunt double be needed for the scene we saw???

Did they record extra footage we will see in next movie?

Perhaps luke doesn't embrace her as his daughter or a friendly and engages in lightsaber battle? Could it be he is darkside or just untrusting of Rey initially??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

geecee wrote: »
    do you think there is any possibility that Max Von Sydows character is Kanan from star wars rebels?
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm338023424/ch0414994

His age (4--45 years after Rebels), goatee'd look and build is about right. Also his profile suits as someone to help run a jedi academy, ex jedi who survived the purge and can teach a new generation

And given that rebels is part of official canon it seems logical to tie the two franchises...

Oohh I love this. I hope it's this haha ! It's all guess work at the minute but this is my favourite so far. I hope Ashoka turns up in the films somewhere too. Rogue one maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

WHAT!? Is that actually happening for that reason?? :mad:
    No.

Well, sort of. Racists and misogynists are going to pretend to boycott it, but I bet they were there in line for a ticket with the rest. It's much easier to be a scumbag on the internet. Much more hassle to carry it into the real world for most of them, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

py2006 wrote: »

I would guess its in case Daisy fell off the island when climbing the steps and into the water!
    Might be that Daisy never actually climbed all those steps at all and it was her stand in?

geecee wrote: »
    I would guess its in case Daisy fell off the island when climbing the steps and into the water!
    Might be that Daisy never actually climbed all those steps at all and it was her stand in?

Possibly, but her particular double is all about combat skills (with a long stick like we saw her with in early part of movie) as opposed to a regular stunt double.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,617 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

When filming in Kerry, Daisy Ridleys stunt double was there too. (She appeared on Britain's got talent showcasing combat skills a few years ago)

Perhaps luke doesn't embrace her as his daughter or a friendly and engages in lightsaber battle? Could it be he is darkside or just untrusting of Rey initially??
    The scenes in the same location in the next movie were filmed at the same time as the scene in this movie - so they could do it all in one go rather than having to come back. I would guess she will be trained by Luke there, so stunt double used for that.

In her jolt flashback after touching Lukes saber you can see her as a very young kid crying after being abandoned. To me that means she was too young to be already trained...

anakin was considered too old already in TPM to be trained, so clearly they start training very young - so I don't think she was too young to have been trained (to some extent) already, before Jakku.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Or else if they're using her stunt double for distance/back shots then Ridley is free to film with another unit?

The scenes in the same location in the next movie were filmed at the same time as the scene in this movie - so they could do it all in one go rather than having to come back. I would guess she will be trained by Luke there, so stunt double used for that.

Didn't they return for more shoots?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Didn't they return for more shoots?
    they did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

To be fair with that one, Kylo Ren was badly wounded, having been shot with the bowcaster and nicked by Fin a few times as well.

I think they could have handled it with more clarity, but the only reason Rey was able to best him was because he was so badly wounded in the first place.

Also she was already good with a staff so it isn't a stretch that she would be pretty good with any sort of weapon of the type in tandem with her natural force leaning (in the same way Anakin was able to pod race in TPM without any training).

You missed it,...Maz had helped her feel the force in the basement.
    She is loosing to Ren and is balancing on the edge of the cliff when she focuses on the force. At this point she has a new impetus and power and at this point is able to defeat Ren

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Saw this last night, I wanted to see it as soon as possible to avoid spoilers :P... Brought the GF with as she's never seen a SW movie, She seemed to enjoy it anyway.

I enjoyed it but it was basically a remake of Ep IV, so I was kind of disappointed afterwards :/

About half way through the movie I noticed the similarities and could predict was was gonna happen next, hans death for instance... It really killed the rest of the movie for me..

It's great for new comers but for die hard fans I'm a little disappointing as I was hoping for something new... I guess I should be glad there's new SW movies coming out..

I could probably bet my house on the next movie being a remake of V :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

What?

Did you really just tell me who dies?

Kerry will never be the same again...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,660 ✭✭✭micks_address

david75 wrote: »
    What?

You are a brave man in this thread if you are worried about spoilers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Kerry will never be the same again...

Very true wait until Portmagee gets invaded by lightsaber wielding tourists next year.

It really showed off the Skelligs at their best.
    I was disappointed that it just ended with luke and rey standing there, shoudn't have been as that was the point of the film.:)

Rey using the force is referred to by Ren on the DS. HE said the soldiers had to find her as the longer they left her the stronger she'd become.
    Her encounter with Ren seemed to trigger something in her as to the use of the force. Maz just gave her the push she needed later in the film which is what she remembered when fighting Ren,

The mentioning of clones is on the DS between Huk and Ren when FIN starts to waver . Huk says they should have used clones, Ren defends his men as being trained from birth.

What?

would have thought you would ahve noticed in one of your four viewings, or you watching 10mintues a go?:pac:

I was making a point via a funny. But lost is ok.

Was anyone else suddenly pulled out of the whole Star Wars feeling the minute Skellig Michael appeared?

It's so obviously Ireland

So I took this pic of the stars just after the scroll dissolves.
    Is that the map to Luke?
    Fuzz your eyes up
    http://s174.photobucket.com/user/dimejinky99/media/Mobile Uploads/2015-06/86E3CF68-4FAF-420E-9880-BBDC1A0E3BE9.jpg.html
    86E3CF68-4FAF-420E-9880-BBDC1A0E3BE9.jpg.html

I was making a point via a funny. But lost is ok.

Was anyone else suddenly pulled out of the whole Star Wars feeling the minute Skellig Michael appeared?

It's so obviously Ireland

Yes, it was a weird feeling :p
    What?

Sorry :eek: but it does say spoilers in the thread title, should i edit in spoiler tags?

gazzamc wrote: »
    Yes, it was a weird feeling :p

Sorry :eek: but it does say spoilers in the thread title, should i edit in spoiler tags?

no need to, from post 4472 onwards spoiler tags are not required.

Love this :)
    B3E17771-433C-4E17-AF19-C387818400D5.png.jpeg

Love this :)

Did he get a nose job? i couldn't get over how old Carrie Fisher sounded, was so weird :confused:

gazzamc wrote: »
    Did he get a nose job? i couldn't get over how old Carrie Fisher sounded, was so weird :confused:

He was in a serious accident after a new hope and before empire strikes back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Saw it earlier this evening. Fantastic. I want to see it again soon and I rarely do that. When is VIII out?

Advertisement