Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

david75 wrote: »
    Here's the clue

To bb8

Where do you come from?
    Classified?
    Me too. Big secret.

She knows but when she meets leia doesn't know that's her aunt. Leia feels something or does know. We don't see their conversation before Rey leaves for planet Ireland

I think you're reading too much into both scenes. In the first she said it in a very sarcastic, jokey tone. After the battle she was stood on her own looking sad and grieving for Han while everyone else celebrated around her. Leia simply comforted her, likely sensing her attachment to Han.

Personally I think we'll find out she was a student of Luke's and he hid her on Jakku to protect her as Kylo was murdering all potential Jedi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Honestly lads as a big fan I was disappointed with this movie. The sith always felt powerful to me, Leahs son was none of that, he was terrible :(
    and it really annoys me because watching the trailers had me ecstatic, and he did in no way live up to it.
    I actually felt bored watching it, it felt all to easy destroying the Planted(death star)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

He was in a serious accident after a new hope and before empire strikes back

Ah didn't know that, sound

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

astonaidan wrote: »
    Honestly lads as a big fan I was disappointed with this movie. The sith always felt powerful to me, Leahs son was none of that, he was terrible :(
    and it really annoys me because watching the trailers had me ecstatic, and he did in no way live up to it.

He's not a Sith. He's just a conflicted, lonely and angry kid trying to live up to his idol, his grandfather, Darth Vader. The Sith, for the time being are extinct. The last two died at the Battle of Endor.

Perfect casting and superbly acted, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Relikk wrote: »
    He's not a Sith. He's just a conflicted, lonely and angry kid trying to live up to his idol, his grandfather, Darth Vader. The Sith, for the time being are extinct. The last two died at the Battle of Endor.

Agreed, he is the battle between light and dark personified.
    If I remember correctly it was referred to when he saw the supreme leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

astonaidan wrote: »
    I actually felt bored watching it, it felt all to easy destroying the Planted(death star)

I have to agree with you. I'm also a fan but there's no sense in praising the emperors new clothes when in fact he's walking the streets in his starkers.........they needed to have Adam driver keep the mask on, as soon as it came off the character lost his sense of menace.
    The girl playing rey just over acted the crap outta her role. Harrison Ford was great but I think Oscar Isaac was brilliant. The film needed more of him. The plot was a bit on the weak side, Empire strikes back is still the best out of the lot. Hopefully episode VIII will be stronger and darker.
    But look, The force awakens is light years better than the prequels. I liked the fact that the light saber duel was real. As in, no ridiculous CGI back flips or 100ft high leaps. I liked the atmosphere, it was nicely shot. The dialogue was sooooo much better than the prequels and in fairness the last 20 minutes was very good.
    All in all its a decent movie, just not even close to what people are making it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Red King wrote: »
    Xenophobic? I'm actually embarrassed for you :pac:

You shouldn't be. You should be busy looking up misogynist in the dictionary.

Chewie gets over the fact that his oldest friend was just murdered. I'm not even sure it was addressed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

tunguska wrote: »
    I have to agree with you. I'm also a fan but there's no sense in praising the emperors new clothes when in fact he's walking the streets in his starkers.........they needed to have Adam driver keep the mask on, as soon as it came off the character lost his sense of menace.
    The girl playing rey just over acted the crap outta her role. Harrison Ford was great but I think Oscar Isaac was brilliant. The film needed more of him. The plot was a bit on the weak side, Empire strikes back is still the best out of the lot. Hopefully episode VIII will be stronger and darker.
    But look, The force awakens is light years better than the prequels. I liked the fact that the light saber duel was real. As in, no ridiculous CGI back flips or 100ft high leaps. I liked the atmosphere, it was nicely shot. The dialogue was sooooo much better than the prequels and in fairness the last 20 minutes was very good.
    All in all its a decent movie, just not even close to what people are making it out to be.

We are polar opposite on a lot of points :) He HAD to take his mask off. Some of his scenes just wouldn't have worked if we couldn't see his expression. I don't think we would have been able to connect to the character if we hadn't seen his face/heard his real voice. Take the chrome stormtrooper leader person as a good example of that. What reason would he have to keep it on all the time anyway? Its just a battle helmet right? (or is there some reason he has to wear it I don't know about? Trying to be more Vader perhaps?) I love the way his voice sounds through the mask though, very menacing.
    I thought Daisy and Boyega were great together as well, hopefully they stick together as a team in the sequels. Ford was a relic however, and Im happy enough that he got sent off. He had some good lines/moments, and he's still "got it" but that characters time is definitely up. I agree with you on Oscar Isaac.
    The plot was a bit too close to A new hope for my liking, almost a mirror image in parts. Seems like they just wanted to play it safe. Hopefully they take a few more risks in the sequels.

All that said, the movies a solid 9 for me. It took a long time, but we finally got a new, good, star wars movies. Perfect? No. But really frickin good, and Im happy with that.

Il be going again tomorrow. :D

Chewie gets over the fact that his oldest friend was just murdered. I'm not even sure it was addressed at all.

Theres one shot of Chewie in the cockpit of the Falcon with his head in his hands. There wasn't really a lot of time for reflection at that point in the movie, it might be addressed further in VIII.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Good movie, that's about it.

No bad, just good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

And amazing....God help the Skelligs now from a nerd invasion

I'm sure I saw the West Cork Mountains in as backdrop a few times.

Also, being Irish here, it was so shot so Irish in a way, natural and familiar and 'home' ,
    LUKE SKYWALKER IS HIDING IN IRELAND!!!!!!!

How much more win do we need here???

Haha. When the rebels finally pieced the map together and saw where Luke was, I turned to my Dad and said 'he's in Ireland'.

Speaking of the rebels though.... I was confused that they kept reffering to them as 'the Resistance'. Were they not always 'the Rebel Alliance'?

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Speaking of the rebels though.... I was confused that they kept reffering to them as 'the Resistance'. Were they not always 'the Rebel Alliance'?

Even more confusing, they aren't either any more. Theres no empire to rule the galaxy, the first order are just a start up trying to raise a new dictatorship. The rebels of VI became the republic, so I don't know why they are referred to as resistance in VII?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Saw it early tonight and I have to say it's very good.
    Obviously the original trilogy still has gold place. But The Force Awakens easily takes silver place with its arm out trying to reach gold. It is better than any of the three prequels too IMO.

I've been reading that alot of people say this is essentially a remake of Episode 4: A New Hope and while that is 100% true it also doesn't matter. This movie could have turned out so bad but it didn't. It's a great watch and it's cool that JJ Abrams and Disney decided to play it safe BUT give long time Star Wars fans a Star Wars movie.

However, should episodes 8 and 9 be basically remakes or a mashup of Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi then yeah, that will suck. Which....

Anyone else think that the ending also leads into something that happened in Empire strikes back? Spoilers from here on....

So episode 8 will open/feature Rey meeting Luke. Some opinions are that Rey is Luke's daughter but let's push that to one side for a moment. But this has the potential to be awfully familiar here. A newly found Jedi going to an isolated planet to seek out a Jedi Master in hiding who hasnt been seen in years? (aka, dagobah with Luke and Yoda)
    Here's hoping Luke doesn't start to teach Rey only for her to "leave to save her friends"

Like there is having episode 7 mirror a new hope but then there is trying to pull the wool over your eyes and remaking the same story over three films.

robinph wrote: »
    I'm sure I remembered some sequence in one of the trailers where Leia was speaking in the background saying the line about the force being strong in her family, and my brother has it, my dad had it and you have it kind of thing. Didn't notice that anywhere in the film itself though.

Boom. Nicely done. I expect that is the opening of episode 8.

orubiru wrote: »
    I don't want to be argumentative on the Star Wars thread but
    I think a lot of people complaining about Kylo looking less intimidating when unmasked are missing the point of his character.

He's not a Sith yet (confirmed by Snoke the the end). He was also never a Jedi. He's been partially trained by Luke and partially trained by Snoke. He's not supposed to seem like an all powerful badass. He's a confused young man trying to act like he's a mighty Sith Lord. The mask is how he intimidates people while hiding his insecurity

Consider his imperfect ragged lightsaber. Consider how he throws a tantrum when things aren't going his way. Consider how Rey throws him off balance when she accuses that he's afraid he'll never be as powerful as Vader.

All this then plays into the final lightsaber duel where he is all over the place allowing himself to get injured and defeated by two relative amateurs.

The point of removing his helmet is to show you how vulnerable he is. He's supposed to be underwhelming. That's where the conflict and unpredictability of his character is coming from. He's a badass with the helmet on because it allows him to disguise his insecurity. He takes the mask off and he's vulnerable and weak.

Keeping the mask on just takes away the complexity of the character. With the mask he's just another Darth Maul. Looks good but has no substance at all.

Further to the above, Domnhall Gleeson talks down to him to a degree. Had that been Vader, Hux would have been bitchslapped.

I just watched empire strikes back again. Vader is quite petulant in it too. He murders someone every time he gets bad news. He changes his deal with lando as he sees fit. They're not that dissimilar. Kylo just hasn't been as trained as vader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Alonso77

As trolls wage their futile, miserable little boycott against the film (because it has a female lead), it's worth celebrating how calmly, pleasantly progressive The Force Awakens is. While the more explicitly feminist themes and imagery of Mad Max: Fury Road are to be very much admired, we have a different beast here. This isn't a work that rubs its right-on-ness in your face, or feels like some act of liberal grandstanding. It merely offers up a universe where all the characters - regardless of their age, gender or race - have their own fair shot at being a hero or villain, a fascinating lead or a curious side character.

Not to overstate it or anything - not exactly like a transgender character is going to appearing on the Episode VIII posters :pac: - but given the franchise's previously wildly uneven spectrum when it comes to even the most basic diversity (as festive drinking game, rewatch the original trilogy and count the amount of speaking female characters - you'll almost be more sober than you were when you started) it's a pleasure to see the playing field as even here as it should be. But as said there's nothing remotely alienating or boundary pushing about it (obviously the trolls will still find cause for outrage, because that's what they do). It's simply a welcome development to see the biggest blockbuster of recent times driven by female and black lead actors, prominent & active older characters, and supported by all sorts of characters (human and non-human!) in between - and above all for the filmmakers to be confident enough to simply get on with it. That, in a sense, is a step beyond even the sort of explicitly 'politicsed' content seen in the likes of Mad Max.

You waste words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

What?

Did you really just tell me who dies?

You missed something pretty big, Think you need to see it for a fifth time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Just before I went to see TFA I decided to watch the previous movies (I'm sure I wasn't alone) and something struck which I had previously missed. Why doesn't Chewie pipe up in ANH and tell Han that the Jedi are real? After all he and Tarful helped Yoda escape to the Degobah system in ROTS. Did Lucas not even consider this little plot error when he wrote ROTS? I mean come on!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Alonso77 wrote: »
    You waste words.

And you waste posts. If you have nothing to contribute to the discussion, please don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

orubiru wrote: »
    I don't want to be argumentative on the Star Wars thread but
    I think a lot of people complaining about Kylo looking less intimidating when unmasked are missing the point of his character.

He's not a Sith yet (confirmed by Snoke the the end). He was also never a Jedi. He's been partially trained by Luke and partially trained by Snoke. He's not supposed to seem like an all powerful badass. He's a confused young man trying to act like he's a mighty Sith Lord. The mask is how he intimidates people while hiding his insecurity

Consider his imperfect ragged lightsaber. Consider how he throws a tantrum when things aren't going his way. Consider how Rey throws him off balance when she accuses that he's afraid he'll never be as powerful as Vader.

All this then plays into the final lightsaber duel where he is all over the place allowing himself to get injured and defeated by two relative amateurs.

The point of removing his helmet is to show you how vulnerable he is. He's supposed to be underwhelming. That's where the conflict and unpredictability of his character is coming from. He's a badass with the helmet on because it allows him to disguise his insecurity. He takes the mask off and he's vulnerable and weak.

Keeping the mask on just takes away the complexity of the character. With the mask he's just another Darth Maul. Looks good but has no substance at all.

I actually only started liking the character when the mask came off. He was still very intimidating, due to how unstable he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Great film. The way they used the old characters and introduced new ones was a triumph. It was like watching star wars !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

If Ren doesn't take his mask off then he's just a weaker Vader. I know he wants to be Vader but I'm glad JJ doesn't, his character is brilliant and I'm happy he's not just one-dimensionally evil.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Further to the above, Domnhall Gleeson talks down to him to a degree. Had that been Vader, Hux would have been bitchslapped.

Hux would be this movies equivalent of Grand Moff Tarkin and Tarkin talked down to Vader in ANH. Vader/Kylo may be second in command but, it sure as hell is Tarkin/Hux' army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

You shouldn't be. You should be busy looking up misogynist in the dictionary.

I'm no misogynist. I think its great that the central character is a heroine, no problem with that at all. See you epitomise exactly what I was talking about. You wade in here with your agenda throwing labels around without a clue what you are talking about.

This is a Star Wars thread. Not some course in gender studies 101.

Take your agenda elsewhere, it is nor needed or wanted in a discussion about a harmless family movie.

You lot just love to seize upon the latest thing and politicise it not caring one iota that you suck the last ounce of enjoyment out of it in the process. Its a fun family movie, not some treatise on gender quotas and hashtag feminism.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I had that gripe too but since read a number of scenes with Chewie were deleted including one where he and Leia console each other and another where he rips someone's arms off

tunguska wrote: »
    they needed to have Adam driver keep the mask on, as soon as it came off the character lost his sense of menace.

That's the whole point. It shows he's still an inexperienced, untrained, conflicted kid that hasn't fully turned to evil, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Saw it last night. Enjoyed it but wouldn't say it blew me away. Pity its a rehash of a new hope as I was expecting a while new story. Thought Adam driver was excellent as kylo ren, really played the conflicted character so well. Rey was a bit too much kiera knightly for me. Biggest emotional moment for me was "the heap of garbage". Had something in my eye at that moment. have to say that kerry looks unbelievable. Was quite proud watching one of the biggest movies of all time and skellig Michael being a scene stealer. Give that location manager an Oscar!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Relikk wrote: »

Fine not the sith, the dark side. I really dont think they were perfect casting, which is what saddens me. Im happy Ford is gone, hes had his time. It just was to tame, as has been said already safe.
    As a fan Im obviously hoping it takes a massive turn upwards in the next one

Advertisement