Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

That’s Simon Pegg’s scrap dealer character.

Re: the flashback, Ren saving her from being clubbed in the rain is more interesting. But I’d be cautious about reading too much into that as well. We can’t be sure how much of what she saw in the “Forceback" was her own memories.

Simon pegg is als sitting at a terminal taking an order off Huxx towards the end of a film

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

david75 wrote: »
    Luke in the trailer
    The force runs strong in my family
    My father has it
    My sister has it
    I have it

(You're my daughter) you have that power too.

Question is... Who did Luke get jiggy with?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

david75 wrote: »
    Simon pegg is als sitting at a terminal taking an order off Huxx towards the end of a film

I didn’t notice that. But he also played Unkar Plutt, the junk dealer on Jakku.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

“You do hear a little bit of Yoda. You hear Luke yelling out, ‘Nooo!’ from that moment in Empire. And you hear Obi-Wan at the end say, ‘Rey … these are your first steps,’” Abrams says. “Here’s the cool part. We asked Ewan McGregor to come in and do the line. And he was awesome and we were very grateful. He was incredibly sweet and handsome, and all that stuff. Then he rode off on his motorcycle. Literally the coolest voice over actor ever.”

As they worked on editing the dream sequence, Bryan Burk, a longtime Bad Robot collaborator and one of the producers of the film, surprised Abrams one day with the gift of a single word: Obi-Wan Kenobi’s voice saying the name “Rey …”

“I said, ‘That’s cool, is that the thing from Ewan McGregor?’” Abrams recalled. “He said ‘No, we took a line from Alec Guinness saying ‘Afraid.’”

Not only that, but the lilt in his voice from that truncated word happened to fit exactly what Abrams had in mind. “They cut it, and you hear the performance – he’s saying it the way I would have begged Alec Guinness to have said it. It is so crazy perfect,” Abrams says. “So when you hear Obi-Wan talk to Rey it is both Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor doing the voice.”

Frank Oz, a veteran of The Muppets who puppeteered Yoda and supplied his voice in the earlier movies, also contributed new dialogue for The Force Awakens, although Abrams says they ended up using pre-existing elements of the little green Jedi master’s voice.

“He was incredibly generous and came in to Bad Robot, where we had a recording area, and he was doing Yoda, saying a number of lines we gave to him,” Abrams says. “This whole experience has been one outrageous moment after another. Just watching Frank Oz, you look at him and talk to him and his voice is very deep. I don’t know why I would have thought he sounded like Miss Piggy!”

I thought I heard Obi Wan but not Yoda...

Linky

Nice little featurette on filming in Abu Dhabi

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 3 only_kidding

i saw it for the first time last night , figured out luke was her dad before she even met him , she took to the whole force thing like a duck to water , she had to have got it from someone major and it continues the theme of a loner who doesnt know their bloodline , also make sense from the POV that their is a link between luke and lea , leas son turned evil , kyle is reys cousin , stoke and kyle knew of her importance early on and alluded to the growth of her power

thought the movie was a disapointment , didnt like the kyle charechter after he took off his mask , didnt like the fin charechter , no amazing action scenes which made me go wow , didnt like the hot shot lead pilot either

thought harrison ford was great , didnt see his death coming so soon

not a patch on mad max earlier in the year , not as good revenge of the syth either , let alone the originals

Not as good as revenge of the sith? I can't take anything else you say seriously

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Abrams confirms both Yoda and Ben Kenobi feature in the dream sequence.

http://flip.it/cxTPi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

not as good revenge of the syth either

I strongly disagree.

Not as good as revenge of the sith? I can't take anything else you say seriously

Look at his username...

• Advertisement

I wrote a massive reaction to the film last night and it all ****in dissapeared on me :(

I enjoyed it. It was very surreal though.

I only had two issues with the film really. One was the plot being overly familiar - particularly the Starkiller Base and its destruction. I felt they should have moved to new ground for this.

I really didnt like Snoke though. A few points on him:

⊙ People have said there are no Sith in this film. That Ren is in training. Surely Snoke is a Sith Lord and he is training Ren?

⊙ Snoke appears to be in a different location and what we see in the Starkiller Base is a hologram of him. Why is the hologram so massive? That seems unneccesary, even if he is that big. Also, the hologram seemed to be on with him just sitting there like a doofus in one scene where Ren entered the chamber?

⊙ The CGI was poor. The faults were actually accentuated due to his size.

⊙ Snoke didnt carry any menace whatsoever. In fact, he went the other way and just seemed a bit silly. With Ren only beginning to become powerfull and with the First Order only growing, I felt that the 'man' behind it all had to appear more ominous - Snoke did not.

Dear Santa...

465053830415?$yetidetail$

• Site Banned Posts: 3 only_kidding

better than attack of the clones or phantom menace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

J Mysterio wrote: »
    ⊙ Snoke appears to be in a different location and what we see in the Starkiller Base is a hologram of him. Why is the hologram so massive? That seems unneccesary, even if he is that big.

Is it really all that different to this?

02.jpg

Is it really all that different to this?

02.jpg

No... But do they need a giant chamber to project a giant hologram? Its another moment where maybe the script left out a welcome surprise. He could have been projected at a regular size and therefore left a wow moment for episode IX when we see the scalenof what he is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They are both Wizard of Oz references.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

No... But do they need a giant chamber to project a giant hologram? Its another moment where maybe the script left out a welcome surprise. He could have been projected at a regular size and therefore left a wow moment for episode IX when we see the scalenof what he is.

Well they don't need it no, just like lots of things in movies don't make 100% sense. They could probably just chat on a monitor in a back office somewhere but that wouldn't look that great on screen. It's just a visual metaphor for who is in charge, the same as it was in Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

I've been following the reactions here for a few days now and agree with a lot of what has been said.

I enjoyed the film quite a lot but have a few complaints. I wasn't that impressed with the whole rehashing the story from ANH. I don't think they should have followed the formula that closely. I get that they wanted to play it relatively safe after the PT and give the fans something they were familiar with but the whole Death Star Mark III thing was a bit much, even if it did look spectacular.

My biggest complaint however is that there was a wee bit too much focus on the old characters. I would have preferred to have seen more of Poe for example. He was a great throwback to a slick male hero. Rei and Finn got lots of screen time but I'd have happily seen more of them at the expense of the older characters' screen time too.

I'm looking forward to the sequels which will hopefully focus more on the new generation and throw a few big surprises, and more in the way of innovation, our way.

Oh, and Kylo Ren is pretty much the perfect new lead villain. Conflicted, frustrated, and ultimately human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Andy Serkis and the creature designer have both confirmed that Snoke is 7foot all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I was lucky enough to have seen The Force Awakens at the Empire IMAX on Leicester Square last night. This was my 2nd time seeing the movie (the 1st was Screen 1 in Liffey Valley, a midnight showing).

Incredible experience. Far, far, better than Liffey Valley. The Empire has installed a new laser IMAX projector and the image was incredibly clear. And, it was extremely loud! :D It packed a punch that I felt Liffey Valleys screen 1 did not. Although it was a 3D showing, it didn't detract from the overall viewing experience.

If you find yourself in London in the coming weeks, go see it at Empire or the BFI at Waterloo. You won't regret it.

• Advertisement

Falthyron wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to have seen The Force Awakens at the Empire IMAX on Leicester Square last night. This was my 2nd time seeing the movie (the 1st was Screen 1 in Liffey Valley, a midnight showing).

Incredible experience. Far, far, better than Liffey Valley. The Empire has installed a new laser IMAX projector and the image was incredibly clear. And, it was extremely loud! :D It packed a punch that I felt Liffey Valleys screen 1 did not. Although it was a 3D showing, it didn't detract from the overall viewing experience.

If you find yourself in London in the coming weeks, go see it at Empire or the BFI at Waterloo. You won't regret it.

I saw it in the Savoy Screen 1 and I was blown away with the picture quality and the sound. You could feel the lightsabers hum.

I think those multiplex cinemas have poorer sound and picture quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

py2006 wrote: »
    I saw it in the Savoy Screen 1 and I was blown away with the picture quality and the sound. You could feel the lightsabers hum.

I think those multiplex cinemas have poorer sound and picture quality.

Why do you say that about multiplexes? Personally I find Screen 1 in the Savoy inferior to many multiplexes main screens.

I’m not ruling it out. This is Johnson’s baby now and if he wants to make Rey a Skywalker he can. But it kinda goes against Abrams’s preference for the Force being inclusive.

Abrams:

This harnessing of the Force that Abrams describes is exactly what Rey does in the final duel when she closes her eyes. Everyone is reading that moment as “oh that proves she is a Skywalker or has had training”, but read what Abrams says above. He doesn’t believe the Force should be tied to bloodlines, so in his mind Rey doesn’t have to be a Skywalker or have had training to be able to do what she did.

Also consider Kennedy’s pitch to Abrams, which was very much making the film accessible to new viewers. Abrams again:

Kennedy and Disney came up with this after Lucas and his treatments which focused on Anakin’s grandchildren (plural) departed. So Rey was not originally conceived as being related to anyone important. Of course, neither was Luke. Lucas came up with the Vader twist much later, so anything is still possible. But I think we need to stop taking it for granted that Rey has to be a Skywalker based on pretty flimsy evidence.

I posted an interview earlier in the thread where Kennedy denied that they totally departed from Lucas' treatments.

People keep trotting it out as if Abrams and co. have gone in a completely other direction to what Lucas intended.

Ben Solo is evidence enough that this is simply not the case. Kennedy said that what they did do was change up the order of events and timelines of progression, and character prominence etc

And Abrams, Kasdan and Johnson have been collaborating together on the direction of these movies for a long time. Abrams said ideas for this were moved to Episode 9 and plot points and storylines are being heavily cross-referenced so that they are all on the same page. A lot of work has gone into the overall story already.

faceman wrote: »
    Why do you say that about multiplexes? Personally I find Screen 1 in the Savoy inferior to many multiplexes main screens.

Oh just something I noticed. Particularly the one in Blanch. In terms of sound it doesn't pack the punch compared to the Savoy. There were times I thought my eyesight was deteriorating but I now think its the quality of the screen/projectors used.

I stand to be corrected but I just loved the Savoy last Thurs. The old school cinema feel helped too.

Red King wrote: »
    I posted an interview earlier in the thread where Kennedy denied that they totally departed from Lucas' treatments.

People keep trotting it out as if Abrams and co. have gone in a completely other direction to what Lucas intended.

Ben Solo is evidence enough that this is simply not the case. Kennedy said that what they did do was change up the order of events and timelines of progression, and character prominence etc

And Abrams, Kasdan and Johnson have been collaborating together on the direction of these movies for a long time. Abrams said ideas for this were moved to Episode 9 and plot points and storylines are being heavily cross-referenced so that they are all on the same page. A lot of work has gone into the overall story already.

I never said they abandoned all of Lucas’s ideas. I think the lightsaber was probably something he came up with. And i’m sure there was other things too that they retained. But if enough of Lucas’s ideas were used he would have received a story credit. He didn’t. Kennedy also has every reason to be diplomatic about what happened with Lucas since she was in the middle of whatever happened. Lucas on the other hand has been pretty up front that there was a change of direction that he didn’t agree with. In fact, he seems pretty pissed off about it.

Ben Solo doesn’t disprove my point at all. He’s a villain. Where as I suspect the Lucas-approved treatments focused on Anakin’s grandchildren (plural) as protagonists. According to Abrams the characters of Rey and Finn were something he and Arndt developed after Lucas’s departure. The idea of an (unrelated) female protagonist may have been developed post-Lucas as well.

And Abrams comments about the sequels really don’t suggest any planning for the sequels to me. Leftover ideas in the form of “oh that would be cool” don’t make a story. See Temple of Doom. And this is Abrams: he doesn’t plan stuff, not remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Enjoyed the movie overall but had one major complaint
    when Kylo Ren took off his mask and essentially started acting like Anakin 2.0. He had a strong opening but gradually just started to look weaker and weaker. I mean how could Finn hurt him with the lightsaber without any prior training? Finn had also been beaten by a storm trooper earlier in the movie, surely Ren should be able to dispatch of him with ease.

I never said they abandoned all of Lucas’s ideas. I think the lightsaber was probably something he came up with. And i’m sure there was other things too that they retained. But if enough of Lucas’s ideas were used he would have received a story credit. He didn’t. Kennedy also has every reason to be diplomatic about what happened with Lucas since she was in the middle of whatever happened. Lucas on the other hand has been pretty up front that there was a change of direction that he didn’t agree with. In fact, he seems pretty pissed off about it.

Ben Solo doesn’t disprove my point at all. He’s a villain. Where as I suspect the Lucas-approved treatments focused on Anakin’s grandchildren (plural) as protagonists. According to Abrams the characters of Rey and Finn were something he and Arndt developed after Lucas’s departure. The idea of an (unrelated) female protagonist may have been developed post-Lucas as well.

And Abrams comments about the sequels really don’t suggest any planning for the sequels to me. Leftover ideas in the form of “oh that would be cool” don’t make a story. See Temple of Doom. And this is Abrams: he doesn’t plan stuff, not remotely.

Well what I have read in interviews with Abrams, Kennedy, Rian Johnson and Kasdan regarding the extensive planning of this trlogy suggests otherwise.

And having watched The Force Awakens I can see tons of evidence of forward planning narrative wise.

Enjoyed the movie overall but had one major complaint
    when Kylo Ren took off his mask and essentially started acting like Anakin 2.0. He had a strong opening but gradually just started to look weaker and weaker. I mean how could Finn hurt him with the lightsaber without any prior training? Finn had also been beaten by a storm trooper earlier in the movie, surely Ren should be able to dispatch of him with ease.

Well, as several people have pointed out already, Kylo was just injured badly by Chewie's crossbow, is not a Sith Lord and is far too emotionally unstable to have the kind of control that Vader had.

Snoke even remarks that he needs to complete his training. There is no doubt he is very powerful but as things unravel and he is thrown off by the events he is exposed as being quite vulnerable really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Also consider Kennedy’s pitch to Abrams, which was very much making the film accessible to new viewers. Abrams again:

Where does the "who is Luke Skywalker" business fit in with the events of the original trilogy being so well-known? Rey even know how many parsecs the Millenium Falcon do can the Kessel run in. (On a side note, that spoiled the cute fan theory that Han's parsec slip is him deliberately making a mistake to see if Luke and Obi-Wan are as naive as he suspects).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Red King wrote: »
    Well, as several people have pointed out already, Kylo was just injured badly by Chewie's crossbow, is not a Sith Lord and is far too emotionally unstable to have the kind of control that Vader had.

Snoke even remarks that he needs to complete his training. There is no doubt he is very powerful but as things unravel and he is thrown off by the events he is exposed as being quite vulnerable really.

He's had some training though whereas the girl had absolutely no. She was able to hand him his ass. No thanks.

Advertisement