Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Just back from a second viewing :D Heres a few things I didn't notice the first time around...
    • The number on the side of Rays (Ray? Rey? Rai?) rebel helmet is 73E. Was anyone in the original trilogy assigned that helmet?
    • When Luke touches R2D2 in the premonition, his front light turns from blue to red, so maybe luke powered him down until the time was right? (R2D2s lights might also just be random flashing so maybe not)
    • Poes X-Wing is frikin sweet. Its got a lovely orange and dark brown color scheme, which is uniqe from the rest of the blue and silver X-Wings. Hes also refered to as black leader.
    • Ray scars Kylo-Rens face pretty badly, she cuts him from jaw to forehead during their fight. Dont know how I didnt see that first time. I guess he will have a pretty big scar in VIII.
    • In the premonition/flashback sequence, Ray is left with shop keeper that dealt out the rations. Was she left on Jakku as a slave?

Tilikum wrote: »
    He's had some training though whereas the girl had absolutely no. She was able to hand him his ass. No thanks.

We don't know that yet though. We don't know her full history, she might have been one of the jedi Luke trained before Ben went rouge. The next movie should revel more of her backstory.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

He's had some training though whereas the girl had absolutely no. She was able to hand him his ass. No thanks.

Ha, funny you say that. The overuse of the phrase 'the girl' in the film started bugging me, especially by characters who knew her by name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

I was so much looking forward to this movie after seeing everyone say how good it was. I went on my own today and didn't even wait for the lads to go during the week. The longer it went on, the worse it got for me. So disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Red King wrote: »
    Well, as several people have pointed out already, Kylo was just injured badly by Chewie's crossbow, is not a Sith Lord and is far too emotionally unstable to have the kind of control that Vader had.

Snoke even remarks that he needs to complete his training. There is no doubt he is very powerful but as things unravel and he is thrown off by the events he is exposed as being quite vulnerable really.

The crossbow could explain some of it, but this is the guy who's essentially been chosen as the top prospect, second/third in command, how does he have such poor awareness after
    killing han
    . If he is that flawed and emotionally unstable why is he in such a high ranking position?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

The crossbow could explain some of it, but this is the guy who's essentially been chosen as the top prospect, second/third in command, how does he have such poor awareness after
    killing han
    . If he is that flawed and emotionally unstable why is he in such a high ranking position?

Potential and natural ability presumably. Not to mention he may be an asset in detecting/finding Rei and other folk who are strong in the force.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

killing han

The poor awareness stems from the fact that he just killed his own father while being torn between light and dark and his rank is because he's a powerful force user.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The scene we see Rey being abandoned as a baby. She has a padewan braid I think.

Also
    That final scene. Look up the hill / slope when Luke and Rey meet. Think you can see a cave enterance.
    One of the locals said they shot a ton of stuff in that cave.

Also.

Is Luke standing at a headstone of a grave in that shot? Looks like it.
    It's even visible on the aerial shot

Reys mothers grave?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Boo Radley wrote: »
    Potential and natural ability presumably. Not to mention he may be an asset in detecting/finding Rei and other folk who are strong in the force.

I just don't see the logic in putting someone in such a position of power if they're blatantly unqualified for it at this present moment, regardless of potential. He could ruin all of the First Orders plans. Put him high ranking sure, but second in command to Snoke?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

And how exactly did he get his hands on vader's mask which was destroyed by Luke in ROTJ?

Pretty great footage of reys flashback/flash forward force trip
    http://sendvid.com/i0q9ybuc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

faceman wrote: »
    I had that gripe too but since read a number of scenes with Chewie were deleted including one where he and Leia console each other and another where he rips someone's arms off

There was a chess scene? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

And how exactly did he get his hands on vader's mask which was destroyed by Luke in ROTJ?

Well, they put Vader on a pyre and cremated him, but nowhere was it suggested that the mask was completely destroyed, so the melted look makes sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Poe Dameron was originally supposed die in the opening sequence. Isaac wasn’t too pushed about taking the role but eventually accepted by which time Abrams had re-written it so he survived.

http://www.gq.com/story/star-wars-the-force-awakens-character-death

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Just saw this last night. Loved it loved it!!
    I was on the edge of my seat gripping my water bottle tightly for a lot of it! :D
    I'd nearly go see it again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I took it that Kylo was injured and wasn't used to a lightsaber fight so that's why he lost. Snoke wants to complete Kylos training at the end!

He was using his pain to get himself angry to try and be more powerful but lacks the discipline

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It was completely average with some good bits, the whole plot was stupid though, the Death Star was a terror weapon because it could turn up anywhere, what the fcuk was Starkiller Base doing? Shooting at other planets in the same system? So just avoid that system then? What? What was Lukes plan? Leave a physical map for the Imperials to follow? The whole film was based on that and it made no sense whatsoever...

Resistance Vs First Order also stupid, so the New Republic doesn't care about this group of planetkilling fascists as long as they're not the Empire? Where was the fleet from Retun of the Jedi? The assault on the base was a bit lame with only a dozen X-Wings, where was the big fleet battle? Resistance Vs First Order sounded like fan fiction bullsh1t.

Various other stupid sh1t, CGI a bit ropy at times especially the resistance base.

Loved Rey/Finn/BB8, good humour compared to the utter cringe in the prequels, BB8 making up its mind and giving the thumbs up had the whole screen laughing, couple of other scenes like that. It was entertaining but definitely not deserving of all the 10/10s its getting, think thats just relief it wasnt as bad as the prequels.

Oh yeah, Lord Snoke, utterly generic bad man character made from 10 year old CGI, he was probably the worst part of the film, all the interesting ideas for Sith or whatever he was in the Extended Universe they could have used and they chose him. It would have better if they'd made him a giant instead of just a hologram like he first appeared actually, so warped by the Dark Side it gave him gigantism.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

On the Starkiller base, surely the laser was a bit pointless as removing the sun from the system would have achieved the same thing anyway.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    On the Starkiller base, surely the laser was a bit pointless as removing the sun from the system would have achieved the same thing anyway.

....but faster, and with no chance of retaliation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Some quotes about the development of the script:

Here's Kasdan who seems to be implying that Lucas didn't have anything resembling a full treatment, just a few notes, which would make sense given what we know about how Lucas writes.
    So what was Lucas's rejected story line about? "I don’t honestly know, and I’m telling you the truth," said Kasdan, who only began co-writing The Force Awakens with J.J. Abrams after the original writer, Little Miss Sunshine scribe Michael Arndt, was let go. "When I first went to meet with them, George had some shortly written, brief ideas for a lot of movies, but [Episode VII] was not in that group, because they had already hired Michael Arndt to write that movie. So I was not given that movie at first, and I don’t know what the original idea was, although I think J.J. maybe heard it at some point. But he came in later, too."

http://www.vulture.com/2015/12/force-awakens-secrets-han-solo-original-george-lucas-treatment.html

And here's Arndt who seems to have had trouble coming up with a story:
    As the writers tried to find a logical place for that, they also grappled with the question of how to present Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker – who, as those who’ve seen The Force Awakens already know, was also held back as a climactic reveal in the final minutes of the movie.

“Early on I tried to write versions of the story where [Rey] is at home, her home is destroyed, and then she goes on the road and meets Luke. And then she goes and kicks the bad guy’s ass,” Arndt said. “It just never worked and I struggled with this. This was back in 2012.”

The trouble was a simple case of upstaging. “It just felt like every time Luke came in and entered the movie, he just took it over,” Arndt said. “Suddenly you didn’t care about your main character anymore because, ‘Oh f–k, Luke Skywalker’s here. I want to see what he’s going to do.’”

The good news for Abrams was, he got to make a Star Wars movie. The bad news was, his toybox wouldn’t include a real-life Luke Skywalker action figure. Some of the early MacGuffins of the movie – the thing that drives a movie’s plot – were a search for Darth Vader’s remains, or a quest to the underwater wreckage of the second Death Star to recover a key piece of history about sacred Jedi sites in the galaxy.

Ultimately, the writers decided to make Luke himself the MacGuffin – the thing Rey, Han, Finn and Chewie are trying to find.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-answers-burning-question-about-r2-d2-star-wars-force-awakens

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Was that really it then? It could only hurt other planets in the same system? It looked like they put the resources of multiple Death Stars into it, what a bizarre idea if thats the case.

Thargor wrote: »
    Was that really it then? It could only hurt other planets in the same system? It looked like they put the resources of multiple Death Stars into it, what a bizarre idea if thats the case.

The planets were in different systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭curiosity

Went to a Midnight Wednesday showing, have been mulling over it for a few days. I enjoyed it. It's got some of the same sense of fun of the first trilogy, but I didn't think it as good as them. BB-8 was so cute, Daisy Ridley did a good job of being the main actor.

There was some brief applause at the end, from maybe half the people there.

I plan to see it again in a few weeks, once the stampede is over!
    Having Ren turn to the dark side despite having Leia & Han as parents, and Luke as his uncle, just seemed a bit of a stretch for me. Also, Adam Driver didn't really seem much of a physical likeness to Carrie & Harrison

curiosity wrote: »
    Having Ren turn to the dark side despite having Leia & Han as parents, and Luke as his uncle, just seemed a bit of a stretch for me. Also, Adam Driver didn't really seem much of a physical likeness to Carrie & Harrison

Just to clear up, his name is Ben Solo, he turned into Kylo Ren. I don't mind him being unlike Han or Leia, as we know from previous movies that the dark side is know to warp the physical attributes of the host.

Im sure Luke will explain the full backstory of what happened to Ben in episode VIII.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭curiosity

Just to clear up, his name is Ben Solo, he turned into Kylo Ren. I don't mind him being unlike Han or Leia, as we know from previous movies that the dark side is know to warp the physical attributes of the host.

Im sure Luke will explain the full backstory of what happened to Ben in episode VIII.

Okay, I mixed up the name a bit. It's just that I thought Leia & Han would be good parents;)

curiosity wrote: »
    Okay, I mixed up the name a bit. It's just that I thought Leia & Han would be good parents;)

The idea is that Snoke saw his potential and was manipulating him from a young age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

bluewolf wrote: »
    Just saw this last night. Loved it loved it!!
    I was on the edge of my seat gripping my water bottle tightly for a lot of it! :D
    I'd nearly go see it again

its way better the second time! bit better the third time, samey samey fourth time..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Is it just me or would revealing Rey as Luke's daughter have almost zero impact since it's being bandied about so much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Wait a minute... "the underwater wreckage of the death star"???

What fecking underwater wreckage. It blew up. In space. Over a forest moon.

Advertisement