Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

robinph wrote: »
    I'm sure there was something in their pre ANH past where Han saved Chewie from something, so then Chewie had to follow Han around due to some Wookie life debt custom. Not sure they ever covered what it was that Han did though.

I watched I-VI over the last three weeks, nothing of the sort was mentioned in any of the movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Marty Sergerson

Why no Billy Dee Williams in this movie? Not a mention of him, maybe Finn is actually a Jedi, the lovechild of Lando and Leia?

Han murdered Lando, splitting up the family dynamic and Ben/Ren turned to the Dark Side?

Kylo Ren did sort of sense Finn not shooting his blaster on the planet at the start........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I watched I-VI over the last three weeks, nothing of the sort was mentioned in any of the movies.

In Empire Han tells Chewie to now take care of her (Leia) which is Han passing/extending the life debt onto Leia. The term Life Debt isn't used but thats what it is. Han is telling Chewie that he has to look after Leia its possible in Force Awakens Han could have passed into Rey.

The Han Solo book trilogy covers and mentins the life debt in more detail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

McLoughlin wrote: »
    In Empire Han tells Chewie to now take care of her (Leia) which is Han passing/extending the life debt onto Leia. The term Life Debt isn't used but thats what it is. Han is telling Chewie that he has to look after Leia its possible in Force Awakens Han could have passed into Rey.

That is all non-canonical now though. Maybe Yoda told Chewbacca to do it - them hanging out together is still canon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Radiosonde wrote: »
    That is all non-canonical now though. Maybe Yoda told Chewbacca to do it - them hanging out together is still canon.

Its not though only what after happened in Return of the Jedi the EU is now non canon everything before is still canon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Do people really think Kylo could switch to the light in Episode 8 or 9? I think after killing so many people, including his Father, how could people (especially his mom) accept him back?

Also, can Jedi's bring peeps back from the dead??? :(

#bringbackhansolo

Its not though only what after happened in Return of the Jedi the EU is now non canon everything before is still canon

No it's not. Disney declared the 6 movies and The Clone Wars TV series as the only pre-Disney Star Wars material considered canon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Radiosonde wrote: »
    No it's not. Disney declared the 6 movies and The Clone Wars TV series as the only pre-Disney Star Wars material considered canon.

They did say that at one point but then announced that it was all non cannon later.

py2006 wrote: »
    Do people really think Kylo could switch to the light in Episode 8 or 9? I think after killing so many people, including his Father, how could people (especially his mom) accept him back?

Anakin offed those little Jedi; Vader oversaw homicide on a planetary scale. And yet he redeemed himself by turning on the Emperor...and then died. So a repent and sacrifice himself type redemption seems possible.

That doesn't wash, those books aren't canon. Han telling Chewie to look after Leia is just that, no life debts involved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think I did read a couple of the books, guess that's where I got it from then.

I think you are overreaching with your interpretation of that one line in Empire Strikes Back. It definitely supports your argument but not explicitly.

I think Han was just trying to calm Chewie down so that they all didn't get killed right there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Lots of spoilers ahead...

Um....

Just a 6/10 for me. It was ok, but just ok. An above average actioner, but only because it was familiar and it didn't totally suck balls like the prequels.

There's certainly a lot to like, but there's quite a bit, too, that I simply couldn't get on board with.

Some of the good stuff ---> BB-8, there's more personality in that robot than anyone in the entire 6+ hours of the prequel trilogy. A great little character and the owner of the best LOL moment in the film.

Han and Chewie's interaction was still brilliant (waddayamean, you're cold?).

Kylo Ren was very good, but taking the helmet off was a bit of a mistake of sorts, especially as there was bugger all wrong with his face. Why bother with the helmet? Over all an interesting character and it'll be good to see what they do with him in the next two films.

Some of the effects, both creature and hardware were fantastic and helped build a believable world, especially on Jakku.

Rey is a decent enough character and her section on Jakku is probably the best part of the film. But, unfortunately and inevitably, over the next couple of pictures, she'll get all "Jedi" and poncy. :(

Han Solo is still the best character in the entire series and nobody will be able to trump him ever.

Some of the bad stuff --->

Han Solo is still the best character in the entire series and nobody will be able to trump him ever.

Killing him off was a poxy idea and I'll never be ok with it. I know Ford wanted to kill him off in 'Return of the Jedi', but there's going to be a serious character vacuum now that he's dead. A bad turn of events. Personally, I'd rather that Finn was killed off and Solo was just fucked up at the end, instead of the other way around.

Speaking if Finn, he just didn't do it for me at all. I never bought into the idea that he was a stormtrooper. Not once. I simply cannot accept that this whooping, high fiving, joker was raised from a small child to be part of a crack military force, unquestioning, uncompromising and devoted entirely to duty. But once the helmet comes off, he's full of comic moments, silly dialogue and is waaaay too cool for school. It would have been much better if he been a stiffer and more serious character, conflicted with the things he'd seen and the indoctrination he been receiving his entire life. Perhaps a better angle would have been if he was resistance spy of some sort within the New Order, but had to blow cover to get Poe Dameron out of "not the Deathstar."

Some of the CGI implementation was rubbish. Seeing the Falcon bash itself off the ground and fly through trees without a bother really was a bit much and completely unnecessary too. Seriously, it was thrown around like my old Corgi die cast metal model from 30 odd years ago. Eye rolling. The aerial combat scenes too were a bit jerky at times and physically unpleasing.

Yay...Max Von Sydow! 2 minutes later -> ah FFS!!

I don't what Brendan's kid was up to, but it wasn't doing anything for me.

Mr Snook, or Snoke or whatever looked rubbish. Pretend Emperor and completely unneeded.

Lightsabre fight...'cos lightsabre fight. :rolleyes: Not only that, people who never touched a lightsabre in their entire lives are automatically pretty good with it? What? :confused:

Too much "Dark side" "light side" bollocks. I hate when the Sith, or whatever, refer to themselves as the "dark side". It just sounds stupid. It's like calling themselves the badguys.

Too much fan service. OTT fan service in fact and too much retreading of the original series. It seemed at times that 'The Force Awakens' was terrified to be its own story.

All in all, it was an ok night at the cinema to see a slightly above average action film. Disney will no doubt make an obscene amount of dough from it (which is no sign of a good film) and they'll milk the franchise until it barely resembles anything we remember. But there's still hope that eventually somebody will make something to rival the films from 1977 and 1980.

robinph wrote: »
    I'm sure there was something in their pre ANH past where Han saved Chewie from something, so then Chewie had to follow Han around due to some Wookie life debt custom. Not sure they ever covered what it was that Han did though.

IIRC, Han Solo's original backstory was that he was a pilot in the Empire and saw what the Empire were doing to various races around the system. He intervened to help a wookie escape captivity. That wookie was Chewbacca and subsequently, he engaged in a life debt with Solo, eventually becoming his partner in crime, up until the point where they meet Luke and Ben at Mos Eisley.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Few things
    In the interrogation Kylo sees into her mind and sees the ocean and an island.
    She has been there before or is so strong in the force (albeit unknowingly) that she's seeing her own future in a foretelling as Jedi can do.

His interrogation of her seems to be the thing that either awakens the force in her
    Or more interestingly breaks whatever seal has been put on her and her memory presumably by Luke?

In the final scene it's clear she knows him as she starts to cry when he removes his hood. And he clearly knows her too.
    Also, fairly certain he's standing by a grave in that scene, there's a little headstone popping up to his left.
    Her mothers grave?

Her being han and leias isnt possible. Why would they be all sad about Their son lost to the dark side and not one mention or even hint at their 'lost' daughter.

It *is* possible that they both know Rey though, and know that she was hidden in jakku but Can't reveal her lineage as it isn't their place, but they want to protect her anyways so Han offers her a job -

An this is the key to her being Lukes daughter-Leia decides to send her to find Luke. Why doesn't leia go? Why else send a girl who's she's never met?

Could only be cos she's Lukes daughter.

Tony EH, I think your broken heart is clouding your judgment slightly :pac:

No Broken hearts here PJ. I delighted it wasn't complete balls. :D

It could have been better though.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Lots of spoilers ahead...

Do, all in all, it was an ok night at the cinema to see a slightly above average action film. Disney will no doubt make an obscene amount of dough from it (which is no sign of a good film) and they'll milk the franchise until it barely resembles anything we remember. But there's still hope that eventually somebody will make something to rival the films from 1977 and 1980.

There will never be a star wars film made that will please everyone. Never!

....it wasn't episode I, lets give a little thanks here :pac:

We don't know that Kylo didn't kill Lukes wife/Reys mom.

*this would give the Rey / Kylo dynamic some serious oomph.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I really liked it, not perfect, but felt like a Star Wars film and a nice cinema treat. Really showed up how wrong I think they got it with the prequels in terms of style and dialog, I really didn't like the look of those films and they've aged harshly.

Was great to see Harrison in such good form, been so long and it felt like Han Solo was never gone, that Harrison wasn't rusty at getting back into his shoes. Was great seeing him and Chewie arguing with each other again :D

While Gleeson is having a great year I thought his acting was a bit iffy in this, like he was doing a spoof of a stiff-upper lip British man by the way he tightly moved his mouth.

BB8 was great and didn't feel like a tacked on toy, they did a great job making a simple object seem so animated. I really think it benefited the fact that he was a real object, not CGI (for the most part) and it made him feel a part of everything.

Speaking of which, I loved that they brought back actual puppets / physical make-up for aliens for majority of scenes, that they didn't need to "update" characters like Admiral Ackbar with CGI. There was CGI characters but there was enough of a blend and mix that kept me happy.

I'm not a big Star Wars person to begin with but I liked the trilogy and I think this was a fitting sequel to them, even if it was very close to A New Hope.

• Advertisement

Perhaps Reys flashback is actually stuff that happened to her mother??

It'd make sense especially when we see the soldier about to hit her and kylos lightsaber skewering the guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

AMKC wrote: »
    They are brainwashed to believe all that and that the First Order is right. But when he see,s what they do and how they do it it effects him and he then realizes its wrong.

It can happen it even happened to Hitler. There was one or two that were not brainwashed even do the Nazi regime started brainwashing them at a young age. It just takes a strong mind and being able to think and the ability to know what is right and wrong.
    What?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Thargor wrote: »
    What?

Think he is comparing The First Order Stormtroopers to Nazi Youth. And some of them defected instead of committing atrocities maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Think he is comparing The First Order Stormtroopers to Nazi Youth. And some of them defected instead of committing atrocities maybe.
    He says it happened to Hitler though...:confused:

I think the worst CGI shot in the whole film was the Millenium falcon sitting on the dock on Skellig Micheal, it was absolutely brutal, like someone messsing around with after effects on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I think the worst CGI shot in the whole film was the Millenium falcon sitting on the dock on Skellig Micheal, it was absolutely brutal, like someone messsing around with after effects on Youtube.

Some of the Millenium falcon stuff was a bit rough.

We'll see what it looks like on Blu Ray.

I didn't notice any bad CGI :confused:

Usually I'm a stickler for that kind of stuff

He says it happened to Hitler though...:confused:

I think what he means is that it happened under Hitler.

Although considering that the nazi party never fully convinced the Germans to all become nazis, that's not surprising. They could only ever get 8-10% membership out of a nation of 80 million people.

The vast majority of Germans were not nazis and a lot of party members were simply lip service members using membership to further their career or because it was required.

In any case, discussions of Germany, the nazis and Star Wars is pretty null and void. There's a superficial resemblance at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

The big rocky island at the end looked completely unrealistic. Better CGI please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

• Advertisement

The big rocky island at the end looked completely unrealistic. Better CGI please.

It would have been nice if they're "sci-fi'd" the place up a little bit. They should have CGI's out the gannets and terns and put in something a little more Star Warsy.

When Rey got to Skellig Mick, I just oh...Luke's hiding in Kerry.

Advertisement