Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Tony EH wrote: »
    It would have been nice if they're "sci-fi'd" the place up a little bit. They should have CGI's out the gannets and terns and put in something a little more Star Warsy.

When Rey got to Skellig Mick, I just oh...Luke's hiding in Kerry.

The Falcon was in Kerry!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

It would have been nice if they're "sci-fi'd" the place up a little bit. They should have CGI's out the gannets and terns and put in something a little more Star Warsy.

Couldn't agree more. It actually took me out of the movie. It genuinely looked like some girl hiking in Kerry. I completely forgot that I was watching a Star Wars movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I think I liked the movie, need to go see it again.

Am I reading this correctly; some are saying the CGI was terrible, others are saying to add CGI to Skellig Michael...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Liamario wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. It actually took me out of the movie. It genuinely looked like some girl hiking in Kerry. I completely forgot that I was watching a Star Wars movie.

I kinda liked that about it.

I don't think there was any chance of us Irish staying 100% focused on the movie at this point due to that bit being in Ireland and we have heard tonnes about it.

After all the green screen of the prequels, it was nice to see a minute or 2 of zero cgi after the Falcon had touched down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

https://twitter.com/JohnBoyega/status/678717964426862592

Boyega just showed up to random screenings in London to greet fans over the weekend. Love it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Being Irish of course we're all gonna go "ha! Luke's been hiding out in kerry all this time"...but imagine what foreign audiences are gonna feel when they see those final shots. Its a stunning piece of scenery that looked amazing on the big screen. Hope theyre ready for the yank invasion down in Portmagee!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It's a big galaxy with fairly remote planets, no need to 'Star Wars it up'.

The worst cgi was easily the creatures Han was transporting, looked like they were straight out of the prequels. It was closely followed by the scrap dealer.

Don't see the big deal with Sith referring to themselves as Sith. Jedi refer to themselves as Jedi, and considering most Sith are former Jedi it explains why they would use the term Dark Side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

e_e wrote: »
    Boyega just showed up to random screenings in London to greet fans over the weekend. Love it. :)

Forever to be known as "Star Wars Dude!!!" :P:P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Am I reading this correctly; some are saying the CGI was terrible, others are saying to add CGI to Skellig Michael...

Well, I can't speak for others, but what I'm saying is that they could have gotten rid of the real birds that were flying around. The actual gannets, etc that called Skellig Michael their home and maybe put in something a bit more exotic.

As it stands, it simply looks like Rey has flown to Kerry.

It's not awful. But to an Irish man, it's like, oh....ummmm....Kerry.

The CGI for the most part was fine, with a few uneasy parts here and there. The physics of the aerial battles felt off sometimes as well and the lack of model work allows the director to do, frankly, stupid things, like bashing the Millennium Falcon off the ground repeatedly and horsing through a forest.

Ain't no craft, real or imaginary, is going to survive that kind of punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I kinda liked that about it.

I don't think there was any chance of us Irish staying 100% focused on the movie at this point due to that bit being in Ireland and we have heard tonnes about it.

After all the green screen of the prequels, it was nice to see a minute or 2 of zero cgi after the Falcon had touched down.
    Liamario wrote: »

Half in the Bags review made fun of the Visit Ireland bit they tacked on at the end:

It really didn't look right, like it was filmed on different equipment to the rest then not corrected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

While it took me outta the movie too to an extent had they cgi'd anything about the skelig shots we'd all be up in arms let's be honest.

david75 wrote: »
    While it took me outta the movie too to an extent had they cgi'd anything about the skelig shots we'd all be up in arms let's be honest.

Well, it wouldn't have to be mad. Something subtle. Even just removing the birds would have been fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

e_e wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/JohnBoyega/status/678717964426862592

I like this guy :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Re: Skelligs. NOW YOU KNOW HOW ALL THE TUNISIANS FEEL, EY?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

So the little ball (bb8 i think) was hiding a map of Kerry the entire time. The little rascal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Well, it wouldn't have to be mad. Something subtle. Even just removing the birds would have been fine.

Man, you really dislike those poor birds. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

I thought it fitted in nicely with the forest of Dean footage (scenes in the mossy woods where Rey says she's never seen so much green in her life). It's not so unbelievable that alien planets look just like Earth.

But having said that I half expected them to pick a stormy day. Or more accurately not have any say in the matter :) Thought it would have looked better but then why would he live on a miserable stormy island?!

I thought they did remove a lot of the birds

Re: Skelligs. NOW YOU KNOW HOW ALL THE TUNISIANS FEEL, EY?

Well, not really. Tatooine didn't look like Tunisia, because they added subtle differences.

latest?cb=20130515165856&path-prefix=de

• Advertisement

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Man, you really dislike those poor birds. :pac:

Fu*king gannets. I hate them! :mad: *

*I don't hate gannets.

JJ said on their first day on the island there was a million birds everywhere.
    When they went back the next day here was no birds at all and they'd accidentally arrived the day they leave on their migration.
    There's footage of him saying this and Daisy Ridley talking about the Skellig at a press conference somewhere

Rey is part Irish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

py2006 wrote: »
    Rey is part Irish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Id put a bit of Irish in her

Did anyone catch Yoda's dialogue in that force vision bit?

Unless he's doing his scary 'you will be' voice I can't make it out.
    I can hear Vader breathing a bit in it but no yoda

Did anyone catch Yoda's dialogue in that force vision bit?

Unless he's doing his scary 'you will be' voice I can't make it out.
    I can hear Vader breathing a bit in it but no yoda

See for yourself

http://sendvid.com/i0q9ybuc

Thanks. But can't make anything out from yoda

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Now what I say next could be complete rubbish.

But what if Rey was like a reincarnation of Obi Wan's force spirit? He was Vadar's friend until he fell, then he was Luke's mentor and in this trilogy could be Kylo's advisory.

All three of the trilogies would be about the Skywalker family but would feature Obi Wan in some way

Remember the line about seeing people's eyes over and over if you live long enough

Come to think of it Rey has a similar English accent to that of Obi. You might be on to something with that.

Her outfit is also very like obi wans in the prequels when you see her locked in the interrogation chair thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Well, not really. Tatooine didn't look like Tunisia, because they added subtle differences.

latest?cb=20130515165856&path-prefix=de

Tunisian conservationists were deeply concerned by the impact of filming on the gargantuan snake population.

Advertisement