Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Relikk wrote: »
    He's not a Sith. He's just a conflicted, lonely and angry kid trying to live up to his idol, his grandfather, Darth Vader. The Sith, for the time being are extinct. The last two died at the Battle of Endor.

Perfect casting and superbly acted, IMO.

Can somebody clarify for me the story with Snoke?It has been mentioned that Kylo Ren is not a member of the Sith order.I thought he was.The Sith for the time being are extinct as the last two died at the battle of Endor?Yet it has been suggested that he might be Sith lord Darth Plaguesis,hence Ren's master.
    But by Sith tradition Darth Plaguesis was killed by Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine in his ascent to Master from apprentice.Was he able to cheat death as his knowledge of arcane and unnatural arts was reputed to extend to manipulating the very essence of life?
    TBF I think the hologram and character of the Emperor Palpatine was far superior to the comical and hard to take seriously caricature that is Snoke.Emperor Palpatine had a serious air of menace about him.Snoke is one of the biggest disappointments of an otherwise very good flick.Star Wars is back after the awful prequel trilogy!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Revenge of the Sith is definitely the best of the prequels, and has some definite high points. The final fight is a bit too jumpy/explodey, but the actual bits where they're fighting are fantastic.

However, the film also has some absolutely terrible moments. Much of the dialogue is horrible. Grevious's character is... well... grevious. Hayden Christensen's acting is... well... grevious. And the Emperor v Yoda fight is kinda fun to watch, but ultimately a failure, as it has all the bad bits of Obi v Anakin with none of the good bits.

The Force Awakens absolutely triumphs over RotS in every way possible imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,660 ✭✭✭micks_address

errlloyd wrote: »
    Highly underrated. Fantastic film with a genuinely emotional climax. Simply ranking them doesn't put into perspective how much better 3 was than 1 and 2.

For me it's empire then force awakens... Probably sith, jedi, hope, clones, menace...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

CWxQhTKUAAArJ3T.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Penn wrote: »
    Revenge of the Sith is definitely the best of the prequels, and has some definite high points. The final fight is a bit too jumpy/explodey, but the actual bits where they're fighting are fantastic.

However, the film also has some absolutely terrible moments. Much of the dialogue is horrible. Grevious's character is... well... grevious. Hayden Christensen's acting is... well... grevious. And the Emperor v Yoda fight is kinda fun to watch, but ultimately a failure, as it has all the bad bits of Obi v Anakin with none of the good bits.

The Force Awakens absolutely triumphs over RotS in every way possible imo.

All of the prequel films are absolute shit. 'Revenge of the Sith' just has less awful moments that the other two and because of that, some people are willing to give it a pass. But it really is quite a dreadful film, with some truly cringey moments, characters, dialogue and set pieces. That Red Letter Media review nails it and anyone thinking that 'Revenge of the Sith' is even passable needs to watch it.

The Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars
    Return of the Jedi
    The Force Awakens

The others don't even make the chart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I'd go:

1. Jedi
    2. Empire
    3. Force Awakens/ A New Hope (tie)
    4. Attack of the Clones
    5. Sith
    6. Phantom Menace

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. New Hope
    3. Force Awakens
    4. Jedi
    5. Sith
    10. Attack of the Clones
    247. Phantom Menace

• Registered Users Posts: 33,496 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Saw the film last night.

I was a youngster in 77 when the 1St came out, and was a big big fan of all things star wars.

I was left hollow by the prequels.

Now in my 40s, I was really looking forward to this. Will I get ripped to shreds for saying I though it was good, a solid 8/10?

Not great, good. Some of the reviews I read about it before seeing it made me think I was going to see one of cinema's greatest ever achievements, but perhaps the hype got my expectations up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I watched The Phantom Menace last night and Attack of the Clones today. The Phantom Menace is much, much better than AotC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Eliminates almost all of episode one & boils the three prequels down to 2 hours 42 minutes. All action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Amazing.

Just Amazing.

The best Star Wars movie - easily.

Just back from it, and still processing it.

Thank you JJ ... this was Star Wars again !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

1. ESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ

4. TFA

5. TPM
    6. ROTS
    7. AOTC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

david75 wrote: »
    Also
    During the flashback/forward, young Rey shouts Come Back and then you hear Ren's voice say "Quiet, girl".

edit: If not Ren then someone with a voice modulator.

thats boba fett

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Tigger wrote: »
    thats boba fett

Is that definitely Fett? I thought it was the "One half portion" guy.

It's 100% Simon Pegg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

it could be
    i have a theory that fett secreted her away on the planer
    the pegg monster still fits with that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

ITs the scrap deal Unker Phutt

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Someone mentioned Kylo not needing a mask earlier. That's the whole point. He's obsessed with trying to live up to Vader. He wears the mask to look menacing. Han even derisively mentions his unnecessary mask at one point.

He's not supposed to be scary, at least not after the interrogation scene. He's a torn-up child, that's all. It's hard to accept that after all of his early scenes, given how we saw him behave. So I thought that aspect was well done.

Watching it a second time, already knowing how Ren turns out when he removes the mask, makes you see him a little differently in the scenes before he removes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,113 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Saw it earlier and loved it. One of if not the best of the Star Wars movies.

Main thing I'd like to change would be having a better idea of how the universe is shaping up but after ANH we didn't really have too much of a better idea than we do here and PM was slated (along with other things) for giving too much political background so I can understand why it is this way. Despite my greedy side being a little annoyed, I'm pretty sure it'll come and I wont complain if I need to read new source material to fill the gaps (despite having read a fair bit of the old universe).

I've no issues with how Kylo/Ben turned out, as for me there isn't always a need for an instant fear enduing bad guy. He was plenty menacing for the characters for this story (he killed Han FFS) and it'll be interesting to watch his growth over the next few movies, will he gain more control or will the childish anger manifest itself on a larger scale? Either way, I'm confident we'll see a more menacing character in the future with his flawed/conflicted side being better watch on this occasion than a controlled Vader like character.

I would like for Rey to not be a Skywalker but everything is pointing o her being Luke's daughter - the light saber vision, the obi-wan like protector where she was orphaned, the Leia/Han/Kylo reactions, using a vision of an island in the sea when she's trying to relax, her reaction to seeing Luke, her Skywalker natural skills in fixing machines, light saber fighting, and as a pilot. There's just too many signs pointing that direction unless they've gone out of their way to flood the movie with red herrings. My only hope is that they dont sweep it under the carpet and instead use it as a driver of the plot, her being anger at everyone for abandoning her or her anger with Kylo for something he has/will do to her mother/father.

Also, very sad to see Han go but I think the movies just wouldnt be big enough for himself and Luke flying around on missions together, I want to see the new cast grow now.

Looking forward to seeing it again and will do my best to see it in IMAX this time. Fingers crossed I feel like a kid again the second time round!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Thought it was pretty fun but hadn't much to it at all. Had that infuriating thing of being edited in a way where it feels like no time is passing whatsoever between scenes and there was precious little character development (although I liked Adam from Girls's character on the whole and the other two done a great job with what they were gave).

One thing it really highlights in a huge way is how poor of a job Lucas done with the prequels, something of a complete inability to accept that what Star Wars has became is not something which can be defined completely by whatever his vision is at that time. I honestly feel for him a bit in that regard but he needed to let the franchise go. People are going quite easy on this one all over the place as a result of the prequels imo. On the other hand, I'm able to absolutely tear it apart but I still can't deny that it was mostly very fun and I actually wanted the story to stick with the younger characters.
    I feel like the long term reputation of this film will hinge heavily on how good the next one is. I really cannot understate how impressed I am with how they've set up VIII now though, with the new characters now established and accepted it's gonna be a lot easier to promote using the central stuff (who really gave a ****e about the kids in the trailers building VII?), coupled with it being set up to be the Empire of this run (everyone can agree TFA is very A New Hope-ish, right?).

Eh, so, yeah, fairly fun,, seriously lacking in any kind of substance or enduring distinction but it achieved all it's main goals and then some. As a huge skeptic I'm actually kind of expecting it to take until after this trilogy ends before Disney kill all my interest in the franchise, which is 2 films further in than my highest hopes a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

There were people high fiving when they came out of the cinema last night.
    And rightly so. Star Wars is back on form. Definitely in the top 3.

Just one question was that Corusant that was destroyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I want Rey to be a nobody. Complete random, not everyone has to be family in this universe. But sadly on the second watching today I saw something I hadn't previously realised.

When Rey steps off the falcon after Han died. She is the one who steps forward and hugs leia, for an unreasonably long time. They'd never met previously in the film. It certainly felt familial.

I still think she is a nobody, well I hope so.

And I took took the scene with Leia and Rey at the end as them mourning Han while the rest of the resistance are celebrating the success of the mission.

It was the only real mourning Han moment in the film, I expected a bit more.
    iDave wrote: »
    Just one question was that Corusant that was destroyed?

I think it was another system that was destroyed, not Corusant unfortunately. Never want to revisit that snorefest of a planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Wailin wrote: »
    Whoever cast that geezer as the bad guy should be strung up by the balls. Worst 'baddie' in a star wars movie by far, about as menacing as Panti Bliss. 6/10 for me, very disappointing.

I concede that he is not as good as Vader or The Emperor but we had a couple of movies to get to know those characters so I have to wait until the 2nd movie before passing judgement.

Worse than Darth Maul and Count Dooku?

Worse than General Grevious and Jango Fett?

Worse than Nute Gunray?

:)

I'd like to hear your reasoning for this opinion!

1. Force Awakens
    2. Empire
    3. Sith
    4. Jedi
    5. A new Hope

6. Attack of the c'unts

7. Jar Jar Party

I love this theory .. music for Snoke scenes is exactly the same as the music in III when Palpatine was explaining to Anaken about Plageus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I will need to watch TFA again before I can put it and the original trilogy in order of which is best. But its going in as 1 or 2.

I will be completely ignoring the prequel trilogy with the exception of the Opera scene (with Palpatines 4 evil head turns) in Sith.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

1. Empire
    2. A New Hope
    3. Return Of The Jedi
    4. Phantom Menance
    5. Force Awakens
    6. Sith
    7. Clones.

TPM gets FAR too much hate by the way. Most people seem to think Jar Jar is the only one in it, but there's SO much else to enjoy in that movie. Also the fact is, it feels a lot more like a SW movie than the other prequels - more sets, less CGI, shot on film and not digital, etc. And most importantly - IT DOESN'T HAVE HAYDEN "I DON'T LIKE SAND" CHRISTIANSEN IN IT. He and Natalie Portman are terrible, just terrible in the second two prequels.

Force Awakens is probably better (though the plot holes / lack of original story has dropped it down a bit for me) for some reason I TPM has a place in my heart - I know its not the greatest, but come on - these are fantasy / sci-fi movies we're talking about here. They are all silly in places.

Like I posted earlier, FA has put the prequels into context a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Wailin wrote: »
    Whoever cast that geezer as the bad guy should be strung up by the balls. Worst 'baddie' in a star wars movie by far, about as menacing as Panti Bliss. 6/10 for me, very disappointing.

There are 3 baddies.... ;)

Kylo Ren is one of the best characters in a Star Wars movie. Driver did an excellent showing his conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

That's who it was. Was his hand too sure

Advertisement