Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

david75 wrote: »
    Strange continuity screw up.

Hans hair is short when he and Chewie appear on the falcon. Then it's kinda long by the time we get to the battle at Maz's place. A lot longer. Odd that.
    py2006 wrote: »
    I noticed that too when he handed Rey the gun saying "you'll need this"

Maybe Ford had to wear a wig for the reshoots back in February. A lot of the Maz stuff was changed. She originally went with them to the Resistance base where she gave Leia the lightsaber (this is in the trailers) who then gives it to Finn. But they changed it so that Maz gives it to Finn directly and stays behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I thought Driver was brilliant. A bad performance would be Gleeson's in my opinion. Don't really rate the chap and this didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Grayditch wrote: »
    I thought Driver was brilliant. A bad performance would be Gleeson's in my opinion. Don't really rate the chap and this didn't help.

For the role that it was he did alright. He did better than Peter Cushing in the equivalent role in the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

For the role that it was he did alright. He did better than Peter Cushing in the equivalent role in the original.

Haha. Gas man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Maybe Ford had to wear a wig for the reshoots back in February. A lot of the Maz stuff was changed. She originally went with them to the Resistance base where she gave Leia the lightsaber (this is in the trailers) who then gives it to Finn. But they changed it so that Maz gives it to Finn directly and stays behind.

I thought too that he looked a bit rough in the scene where he hands Rey the gun. Perhaps not long after breaking ankle!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Lads this link has loads of really cool answers information and theories. Well worth reading.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-questions/

Awesome !! Thanks, also love these guys :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭khamilto

Just watching it again.

Man the first chase with the falcon and two tie fighters is so brilliant.
    Does as much to make it feel like real Star Wars as the old character reveals.
    It's so well edited. Pure excitement.
    None of the ships move all that much like they do in the old movies, as evidenced best by the chase you described and Po(Poe?) in the X-Wing when they come to the rescue at Mas'

Again, another example of people wanting it to be like old Star Wars and finding justifications for it being like old Star Wars, even though it has far more in common with JJA's Star Trek than any of the previous 6 Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,110 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Thargor wrote: »
    It was a joke based on the other user posting things that were in the prequels but not in this film.

I didnt realise it was canon that only Obi-wan and Yoda could build the midochlorian scanners though, or that they only kept that information in their heads, they must have been running a monopoly together...

If it was a joke then why are you now defending it with what appears to another poor attempt at sarcasm? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Foxtrol wrote: »
    What we see in the special editions are systems we know who wouldnt naturally be friendly to the Empire celebrating, it doesnt show that it is completely destroyed.

Old canon books and I expect new canon books show that the Empire didnt just close up shop.

No problem in making assumptions from 30 seconds you see in a remastered movie but what they've put out since goes against your issue.

It's clearly showing a big fat celebration of the Imperial defeat on Coruscant.

Ya know...the Imperial seat of power. ;)

The crowd are even man handling a stormtrooper.

Give me Yub Nub any day of the week.

I just don't see how anyone can think that at all. Saw it for the second time today and Driver's performance was so far ahead of Christensen that it's not even a contest. Driver is basically saying 'this is how you do conflict'.

There's no comparison. No comparison at all. Driver shows more dynamic conflict in the space of a minute in the Daddy/Sonny scene with Ford than Christensen could across two whole films.
    It was a stunning performance, especially with it being in the context of a Star Wars movie.

Why should this be "a thing?"

It's entirely possible for consummate actors to be on top of their game, regardless of what film they appear in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If it was a joke then why are you now defending it with what appears to another poor attempt at sarcasm? :confused:
    Because you seem to have sand in your vagina.

And the award for most satirical post of the thread goes to...

Thargor wrote: »
    Because you seem to have sand in your vagina.

"I dont like sand..."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

For those of you who reckon the TFA is better than ROTJ because, ewoks defeating Stormtroopera sounds unfathomable, then this may be worth a ponder.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/8850324?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's clearly showing a big fat celebration of the Imperial defeat on Coruscant.

Ya know...the Imperial seat of power. ;)

The crowd are even man handling a stormtrooper.

Give me Yub Nub any day of the week.

Coruscant, which was originally the home of the senate and the center of power for the republic for millenia compared to a few decades of imperial control? Far more likely that there'd be rebellions after hearing the news in systems like that with a massive number of people and ships who have strong ties to the republic compared to more outlying regions or those with closer connections to the Empire.

If you want to use real world examples, look at Iraq. US forces take Baghdad and people come out to celebrate but yet years down the line it's still a total quagmire. A clip of a few people celebrating is not proof that one side has been totally crushed.

You clearly don't like your take on the ending, "is simply dumb", but yet you seem intent to cling your presumption from watching it rather than what was written in both Star Wars new and old canon and what's simply basic common sense. It's similar to people clinging to their interpretation of what bringing the force into balance means, even though they dont like it and they specifically explained something different in ROTS.

faceman wrote: »
    For those of you who reckon the TFA is better than ROTJ because, ewoks defeating Stormtroopera sounds unfathomable, then this may be worth a ponder.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/8850324?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

All the Star Wars movies are absolutely riddled with plot holes, people are generally just kinder when looking at the originals (similarly kind with acting and the dialogue).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just saw it again in the Savoy. Only half full and a more subdued crowd. Some of the jokes fell flat.

The sound again was amazing, totally adds to the experience.

One thing I noticed was part of Lukes theme was played on three separate occasions for Rey.

Also for those giving out that Rey could fly a ship, she did say she has done before just not into space.

Did you see it in Screen1 or Screen2? I seen it in Screen 2 there on Friday and the sound was ok but not as good as the sound in the Odeon cinema that I seen it in even do it had a smaller screen. I also seen it in the new Vue cinema and while the sound in that was good they did not show the film on the whole screen very disappointing that considering its a brand new cinema and new screens with all the latest technology.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Rey and Ren are both Luke's children.
    Han and Leia adopted Ren and raised him as their son. Rey was hidden on Jakku for safety, separate from Ren, out of sight of the First Order, and both crucially away from Luke. Mirroring eps 3,4,5.
    The twist not revealed on the bridge is that in a reversal of TESB, Ren isnt in fact killing his father as he thinks he is. Han plays the game to the end knowing how important the deceit is. Fair play to him and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Han and Leia adopted Ren and raised him as their son. Rey was hidden on Jakku for safety, separate from Ren, out of sight of the First Order, and both crucially away from Luke. Mirroring eps 3,4,5.
    The twist not revealed on the bridge is that in a reversal of TESB, Ren isnt in fact killing his father as he thinks he is. Han plays the game to the end knowing how important the deceit is. Fair play to him and all.

Not sure what the point of the deceit could be if Luke is Rens father. Leia had the force so why not her son? I could imagine that Ren and rey could be related, they certainly look alike but I think it make the story needlessly complicated. The reveal (potentially) of Rey being Lukes daughter should be enough.

Coruscant, which was originally the home of the senate and the center of power for the republic for millenia compared to a few decades of imperial control? Far more likely that there'd be rebellions after hearing the news in systems like that with a massive number of people and ships who have strong ties to the republic compared to more outlying regions or those with closer connections to the Empire.

You're missing the point spectacularly.

Coruscant is the seat of Imperial power. You really think that it's going to be allowed to have celebration of an Imperial defeat above a moon in a system light years away? The very idea is ridiculous.
    If you want to use real world examples, look at Iraq. US forces take Baghdad and people come out to celebrate but yet years down the line it's still a total quagmire. A clip of a few people celebrating is not proof that one side has been totally crushed.

You couldn't be more wrong.

A few people "celebrated". Look at the different angles of the Saddam statue toppling from 2003. VERY different from the close in camera work that everybody saw on the news.

Most people simply feared the future, because it was completely uncertain.

My barber is from Baghdad. His and his family's eye view was elucidating, to say the least.
    You clearly don't like your take on the ending, "is simply dumb", but yet you seem intent to cling your presumption from watching it rather than what was written in both Star Wars new and old canon and what's simply basic common sense. It's similar to people clinging to their interpretation of what bringing the force into balance means, even though they dont like it and they specifically explained something different in ROTS.

I, literally, have no idea what you're trying to say here.

• Advertisement

You're missing the point spectacularly.

Coruscant is the seat of Imperial power. You really think that it's going to be allowed to have celebration of an Imperial defeat above a moon in a system light years away? The very idea is ridiculous.

I think the Empire had more issues to deal with than people celebrating in the streets.

They've explicitly stated that some systems revolted when they heard the news but the Empire wasn't instantaneously defeated.
    You couldn't be more wrong.

A few people "celebrated". Look at the different angles of the Saddam statue toppling from 2003. VERY different from the close in camera work that everybody saw on the news.

Most people simply feared the future, because it was completely uncertain.

My barber is from Baghdad. His and his family's eye view was elucidating, to say the least.

The population of Coruscant is over a trillion, they dont show a trillion people celebrating. It's a small number while the Empire is probably in shock and defending other uprisings.
    I, literally, have no idea what you're trying to say here.

I'm comparing your complaint to a similarly ridiculous one. You claim you don't like a plot point when you've made an assumption that the creators have explicitly said is incorrect.

You're calling something "simply dumb" when you've concocted the instant defeat of he Empire your own head, it didn't happen in either the old or new canon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

khamilto wrote: »
    None of the ships move all that much like they do in the old movies, as evidenced best by the chase you described and Po(Poe?) in the X-Wing when they come to the rescue at Mas'

Again, another example of people wanting it to be like old Star Wars and finding justifications for it being like old Star Wars, even though it has far more in common with JJA's Star Trek than any of the previous 6 Star Wars.

Another justification for just wanting to hate it?
    What, the wooden stiff almost zero movement of the ships in the original series is somehow better than those depicted in force awakens?

Cmon man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

All the Star Wars movies are absolutely riddled with plot holes, people are generally just kinder when looking at the originals (similarly kind with acting and the dialogue).

Oh please !!! show me one line of dialogue in the OT as bad as any exchange between Anakin & Padme in the prequel trilogy. It isn't a nostalgia thing. The acting and dialogue in the OT is palpably better then the PT so stop trying to elevate one by denigrating the other.
    Anakin: I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.

Anakin Skywalker: You are so... beautiful.
    Padmé: It's only because I'm so in love.
    Anakin Skywalker: No, it's because I'm so in love with you.
    Padmé: So love has blinded you?
    Anakin Skywalker: [laughs] Well, that's not exactly what I meant.
    Padmé: But it's probably true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Another justification for just wanting to hate it?
    What, the wooden stiff almost zero movement of the ships in the original series is somehow better than those depicted in force awakens?

Cmon man

Are you intentionally just picking the narrowest interpretation of what he said ? He clearly says he wants them to move like they did in the "old films". Plural. Not just the "stiff" strafing run and trench run of the ANH as you seem to be implying so as to make your point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just reading that the map is actually a map to the first Jedi temple, not to Luke.

The map thing has problems.
    Who broke it into two sections? How did the old man have that piece? (It suggests in the trailers that the old man came by it by chance recently).
    Presumably R2 had the man section thanks to either Luke or by copying all the archives from the Death Star (this was said by Kasdan I think)
    So did the missing section get sent to the old man by Luke? Is he calling out to the resistance to find him?

Surely there'd be more than one version of the map of the Galaxy?
    It's tricky this whole aspect.

I think the Empire had more issues to deal with than people celebrating in the streets.

They've explicitly stated that some systems revolted when they heard the news but the Empire wasn't instantaneously defeated.

The population of Coruscant is over a trillion, they dont show a trillion people celebrating. It's a small number while the Empire is probably in shock and defending other uprisings.

I'm comparing your complaint to a similarly ridiculous one. You claim you don't like a plot point when you've made an assumption that the creators have explicitly said is incorrect.

You're calling something "simply dumb" when you've concocted the instant defeat of he Empire your own head, it didn't happen in either the old or new canon.

We're not going to agree.

Oh please !!! show me one line of dialogue in the OT as bad as any exchange between Anakin & Padme in the prequel trilogy. It isn't a nostalgia thing. The acting and dialogue in the OT is palpably better then the PT so stop trying to elevate one by denigrating the other.
    Anakin: I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.

Anakin Skywalker: You are so... beautiful.
    Padmé: It's only because I'm so in love.
    Anakin Skywalker: No, it's because I'm so in love with you.
    Padmé: So love has blinded you?
    Anakin Skywalker: [laughs] Well, that's not exactly what I meant.
    Padmé: But it's probably true.

I quoted the 'I don't like sand' line earlier. The prequels dialogue take the cake but the original trilogy is hardly Shakespearean.

For acting/script take look at Leia for example: her world is destroyed, finds out she kissed her brother, found out it was her father who destroyed her planet, tormented, and tortured her, gets taken as a sex slave by a giant slug and shows practically no emotion, long term affects, internal conflict from it throughout.

People complain at how annoying Jar Jar is but then you've to deal with C3PO shouting over the other characters constantly in the originals, other complain about how whiny Anakin is in the prequels yet Luke doesnt stop moaning.

I'm not trying to drag anything down, I'm just trying to point out to those who are IMO over analysing 'plot holes' etc for TFA that the originals aren't without their own flaws.

We're not going to agree.

It really is quite hard to agree when one of us is using evidence of what the creators have explicitly stated in later material and the other is going off a story they've concocted in their own head.

Do you have any other source for your theory that the Empire was instantaneously defeated, aside from a handful of cities celebrating at the end of ROTJ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The corridor in Reys flashback is the one Vader chases Luke down on cloud city just before the reveal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,660 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

"Luke is a jedi, you're his father"

Advertisement