Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

gallery-1450785524-getty-images-finn-daisy-ridley.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

py2006 wrote: »

That's art. Thanks for sharing. Soooo much effort and time and energy going into something to take us all back home. Just brilliant :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I watched, thought it was fairly good but not quite up to the hype.

The positives were the brilliant visuals. The Xwing v Tie scene over the lake, the desert images, the palpable scences of a myth being played out in the primeval forest were outstanding. The dialogue was trim and spare compared to other SW files and I enjoyed Mr. Fords and Mr. Issacs performances.

The negatives: it did not have that same sense of OTT fun as did the original trilogy, that sense of cinema matinee that the borrowed from the old adventure films. The marketing people seem to have also taken a nudge which items would be must haves for the Christmas market. As well, the villains lack some of the nuance associated with other Abrams' efforts. Finally, the heroine did not seem to have to work for the skill-set. In that instead of years of training and developing a Jedi's skill, mind control and sword welding come naturally. Hence no real development of character.

So I'd look forward to the next in the series, but might will have the same level of expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Really enjoyed that. Great to see the legendary Phil Tippett back on board.
    Just a shame that the chess scene got barely five seconds in the film, if even that!

• Advertisement

Just reading through some of the "leaks" from earlier this year:
    Luke's rumored location: http://i.imgur.com/N4iJjMm.jpg
    • Only Han and Leia know where Luke is, a fact we learn aboard a Mon Cal cruiser in the film's second act.
    • Luke has grown to dislike using his lightsaber, but apparently draws it late in the movie and showcases his abilities against an Inquisitor. It's still green.
    • Luke speaks to Yoda's force ghost in the film.
    • Luke has a reveal in the film which, apparently, is stunning.
    • Leia is the leader of the New Republic. R2D2 and C3PO are with her during the film.
    • R2D2 and C3PO are the only comic relief characters in the film.
    • Carrie Fischer's real life daughter, Billie Lourd, plays Leia in a flashback sequence. Darth Vader appears in this flashback as well, which apparently takes place on Endor.
    • Yavin is in the film, presumably as the Republic's base of operations
    The opening crawl details the ongoing turmoil in the galaxy. How the fall of the Emperor left a void of power, and how the heroes of Endor went into seclusion or kept fighting.
    Daisy plays Kira, a character living on Tatooine with Max Von Sydow's character. Kira is a dusty survivalist tomboy. Sydow is a broken man from the prequel area that has become mostly cyborg. He is not force sensitive and for some reason collects artifacts that we've seen at critical points during the previous films, particularly ones relating to the Jedi and the Sith. Daisy shares his fascination with history, and she is revealed in Act II to be the daughter of Han and Leia. As someone with force sensitivity, she resents the fact that Luke went into exile before he could train her, and she hopes that the search for force-sensitive artifacts could lead her to him. She keeps her identity as a Solo under wraps in order to keep trouble away.
    Chewbacca's life debt extends to Han's whole family, and he is now sporting a robotic arm.
    • The Han Solo archetype is split between Oscar Isaac and Domhnall Gleeson.
    • Isaac is an ace pilot with the last name "Darklighter" who's been fighting the Imperial forces for years now. He's a bit of a hot shot.
    • He inherits the Milennium Falcon and is implied to be Kira's eventual love interest.
    • Domhnall Gleeson plays a scoundrel of sorts.
    • Adam Driver's character is an ambitious, force-sensitive pilot who falls to the dark side.
    • He is described as having a transformation that "only begins" in Episode VII.
    • He builds his own lightsaber (the one we see in the trailer). It's referred to as a "junk" lightsaber, which is why it looks different from that which we are familiar with.
    • The decision to give his initial lightsaber a cross-guard was apparently made wholly by the art department.
    • The lightsaber battles are written by Kasdan to be minimalistic and powerful.
    • Driver wears a mask because half of his face is cyborg.

:eek::o Entertaining reading huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I enjoyed it .It was good fun.

The plot was simple enough yet interesting , the scene where they imitated the Nurmemberg Rallies was excellent and the final scene was brilliant as well.

I just wish there was a little bit more of CP-30 and R2-D2.The new droid although fine wasn't as funny as those 2 are.

Harrison Ford was simply brilliant and proves he is perhaps the greatest movie star of all time (tied with Clint Eastwood).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Some bits in the novel expand on some things in the film
    http://www.dailydot.com/geek/star-wars-force-awakens-novelization-highlights/

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭The barber of chewbacca

Just a thought on Rey’s ability to use the Force. I count she uses it 4 times.
    1. When Kylo is interrogates her
    2. When she tricks the Stormtrooper into releasing her
    3. To force grab the lightsaber
    4. And when Kylo has her at the edge of the cliff and offers to train her

She only uses it while under stress or by instinct. She’s not adept at using it but when required she can call on it. Also, in relation to point 4, she closes her eyes and says force. She is remembering what Maz said to her at the castle and possibly consciously summons it at that point.

Rey & Finn’s ability with the lightsabre can be easily explained through (i) Finn attending stormtrooper school and (ii) Rey’s having to fend for and defend herself on Jakku.

I also think that Kylo, notwithstanding his injuries, is toying with Finn in their dual. When Finn gets a lucky hit on Kylo’s shoulder, Finn is force-thrown and promptly gets a lightsabre in the back. (Not unlike Vader toying with Luke and going nuts when Luke strikes his shoulder in ESB).

Kylo is also toying with Rey. She is always running away from him but he doesn’t want to kill her, because he wants to train her. It’s only when she summons the Force that she bests him (under stress again!).

I think they can, without stretching it too much, explain Rey’s Force ability and Kylo’s seemingly inability to beat Rey & Finn in the lightsabre fights.

Mark Hamill updated his profile pic. Looking well for next installments

1909893_1512006132461848_7198711965381722795_n.jpg?oh=5e47f942772b799ee176bf6a5516291e&oe=571640A9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Mark Hamill updated his profile pic. Looking well for next installments

1909893_1512006132461848_7198711965381722795_n.jpg?oh=5e47f942772b799ee176bf6a5516291e&oe=571640A9

Check him out in The Flash TV show he is looking fantastic and acting great

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

"They’re on a ship, and now random gangs of people are breaking in. Why didn’t they lock their ship doors? These people are Irish. Once again, not sure how they got Irish in space."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

"They’re on a ship, and now random gangs of people are breaking in. Why didn’t they lock their ship doors? These people are Irish. Once again, not sure how they got Irish in space."

http://www.vulture.com/2015/12/force-awakens-star-wars-newbie.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

quarryman wrote: »
    Which you're entitled to.

Could you elaborate though. Why do you think it's the best Star Wars film ever made?

I liked V, and VI (ewoks annoyed me a bit) and IV I think is overrated and has dated badly (awaits backlash) ..

This new one had none of the cheese of the prequels, the characters were really likeable (all of them !!! - this probably a first in a Star Wars movie)

So that leaves a tie between V and VII, I prefer VII because V has dated a little (doesn't matter how good a movie is, when it dates it dates)

1. VII
    2. V (close tho)
    3. VI
    4. III (yes I know, but it really had its moments)
    5. IV :o

6. II

7. I

I liked V, and VI (ewoks annoyed me a bit) and IV I think is overrated and has dated badly (awaits backlash) ..

This new one had none of the cheese of the prequels, the characters were really likeable (all of them !!! - this probably a first in a Star Wars movie)

So that leaves a tie between V and VII, I prefer VII because V has dated a little (doesn't matter how good a movie is, when it dates it dates)

1. VII
    2. V (close tho)
    3. VI

6. II

7. I

I'm bowing out of this thread. I can't cope anymore. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Reading some of the reviews for John Williams' soundtrack where they say they are 'disappointed', that the score doesn't have the previous melodic style of previous Star Wars scores. Seems to me that many of these 'reviewers' have probably never really previously listened to symphonic scores and can't distinguish between 'themes' and incidental music.

There's at least 5/6 pieces in the new score that work as stand alone concert pieces in my view, which is at least as many as would have been in previous Star Wars soundtracks.

Rey's theme is clearly the standout piece, but there are others, which I'll summarise.

Finn's Confession - a mournful piece that echoes Rey's Theme.
    The Starkiller - a haunting piece to accompany the destruction of the planets.
    The March of the Resistance - reminiscent of the theme for Where Eagles Dare, sprinkled with some of Last Crusade's Scherzo for Motorcycles.
    Snoke - Williams creepy theme for the new 'Emperor'.
    Scherzo for X-Wings - a melodic action piece that plays with the main theme.
    Farewell and the Trip - a nice reprise of Rey's Theme mixed with the Force Theme.
    The Jedi Steps and Finale - a rousing finale to accompany the movies final reveal.

There's a freshness and energy to John Williams' music in this album that is a joy and worthy of being included in the top tier of his movie scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Whatever about plot holes or unrealistic spacecraft!?! It reminded me of watching a new hope on vhs when I was a kid. Perfect,job done. Star wars is back!! My kids loved it, and me, it brung back that chidhood awe at watching the origional star wars many years ago. Can't ask more than that. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

As said in a previous post i didnt like the way the force just came to rey at the drop of a hat, the bit when she got the stormtrooper to undo her restraints and drop his weapon was laughable and cringeworthy, jesus even obi wan had to wave his hand for it to work for him, i didnt like her out of the blue light saber skills in the final battle either,also her knowledge of the falcon was a bit much too,i mean she knew more about it then solo who built the fcuking thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

shamrock55 wrote: »
    As said in a previous post i didnt like the way the force just came to rey at the drop of a hat, the bit when she got the stormtrooper to undo her restraints and drop his weapon was laughable and cringeworthy, jesus even obi wan had to wave his hand for it to work for him, i didnt like her out of the blue light saber skills in the final battle either,also her knowledge of the falcon was a bit much too,i mean she knew more about it then solo who built the fcuking thing

1: No different to Luke in ANH. One day he's a moisture farmer, the next he's got the force flowing through him blowing up death stars.

2: What?

3: I have a feeling knowledge of the falcon will be explained in VIII. Remember, we don't have the full picture yet, just a snapshot of this new character. The blank spaces will be filled in and things will make more sense. (I hope)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

1. VII
    2. V (close tho)
    3. VI

6. II

7. I

Revenge of the Sith is a terrific film no need to apologize for liking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

shamrock55 wrote: »

han didn't build it. he won it. and she's lived and delivered parts to the owner of that ship for god knows how long. possibly learning about it hoding or playing in it all the while growing up.

you'd be surprised what knowledge she could attain learning what parts of ships are valuable trying to survive

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Not sure why people like this, it's nothing like good Star Wars. There wasn't even a peace treaty!

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Dricmeister

It was almost perfect. You'd miss the trade disputes and tax treaties though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Can't wait to see this again, I think I'll be settled more to absorb it the second time around.

The film has so much going for it, I'd love an extended cut Blu Ray which I'd expect at some point.

Not without it's flaws but the dialogue was sharp for most of the film, with no rubbish about trade federations and political nonsense that you can't follow.

Personally I wanted Ren to remain masked for longer, perhaps until the next film. But they did make his character much more interesting with the reveal, so I can see why they done that. My only hope now is they raise the stakes with Ren in the next film, he fully commits to the darkside and becomes much more adept with the lightsabre. Conversely Rey will hopefully be trained in the force and more aware of her power, with my hope that their next battle is fought at a much higher level, technically.

PS. BB8 was class and had me laughing out loud at several points of the film

This is a great read

5 questions for anyone who calls 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' a 'remake'
    http://mashable.com/2015/12/23/force-awakens-is-no-remake/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link#8DMUMhYvD9qk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

david75 wrote: »
    This is a great read

5 questions for anyone who calls 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' a 'remake'
    http://mashable.com/2015/12/23/force-awakens-is-no-remake/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link#8DMUMhYvD9qk

Actually I found it full of hand waving and a coalesing of minor points (mostly about Finn) into an attempt to deflect that this is Episode IV:2.0. His point about the similarity of films in general being based on the same universal themes is worthy of a bored tenured English-lit lecturer and does not distract from the central premise of building yet again of the Death Star III. The Empire (sorry First Order) might be evil but surely after prior history they learnt there lesson and not repeat the past, as has Abrams.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm very puzzled indeed by Max von Sydow's character.

To have such a name for such an apparently trivial role with all of a minute of screen time... odd.
    He's probably an Alerdaanian of some sort, given that he calls Leia royalty.
    He's familiar enough to the original gang to be entrusted with caring for the map.
    Did we hear his voice during Rey's flashback, or was that the junk dealer?
    Surely Rey and the map being in the same place wasn't a coincidence? That would certainly be bad writing if the two major plot devices of the film just happened to be in 1 planet among trillions in the galaxy.

They've gone way more mysterious this time around. That's certainly something that sets it apart from the previous films.

The mystery was only retroactively added previously in Empire when Vader and Luke were revealed to be related but there was very little in the way of hints about it before that.

I think I loved it. I need to see it again to further absorb it.

The only possibly gripes I have are the apparent over-reliance on coincidence to move the plot along in the first half of the film - particularly having Han and Chewie show up, and somehow evade the giant First Order battleship hovering around in orbit.
    I presume having Finn, Poe Dameron, the map and Rey all in the same place wasn't just a coincidence and was because the map and Rey are related, and both the Resistance and FO were looking for the map.

The important thing here is that ,unlike the prequels, and possibly even more so than in IV and VI, the characters are well acted, well written, likable and fun.

Gbear wrote: »

To have such a name for such an apparently trivial role with all of a minute of screen time... odd.
    He's familiar enough to the original gang to be entrusted with caring for the map.
    Surely Rey and the map being in the same place wasn't a coincidence? That would certainly be bad writing if the two major plot devices of the film just happened to be in 1 planet among trillions in the galaxy.

They've gone way more mysterious this time around. That's certainly something that sets it apart from the previous films.

The mystery was only retroactively added previously in Empire when Vader and Luke were revealed to be related but there was very little in the way of hints about it before that.

The only possibly gripes I have are the apparent over-reliance on coincidence to move the plot along in the first half of the film - particularly having Han and Chewie show up, and somehow evade the giant First Order battleship hovering around in orbit.
    I presume having Finn, Poe Dameron, the map and Rey all in the same place wasn't just a coincidence and was because the map and Rey are related, and both the Resistance and FO were looking for the map.

The important thing here is that ,unlike the prequels, and possibly even more so than in IV and VI, the characters are well acted, well written, likable and fun.

Just on the Han and Chewie finding the falcon part, it has a beacon on it but one that's not activated until the ship is ship is actually running. He has an override code to switch it off so he can reclaim it as it was stolen from him. They explain that somewhere, can't remember, might be from the novel of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

one small observation I came across but It wouldnt have occurred to me, there was no Disney castle at the start. Have Disney ever done this before?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Gbear wrote: »

This is what I think

Advertisement