Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

silverharp wrote: »
    one small observation I came across but It wouldnt have occurred to me, there was no Disney castle at the start. Have Disney ever done this before?

Don't think they show it before the Marvel films either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Mickeroo wrote: »

Showing a bit of respect for the properties they've bought does nobody any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I watched it last week and liked it. I came out feeling slightly underwhelmed and, in hindsight, I think that's because I find Jedi related stuff most exciting in the films and the first 45 mins or so is somewhat quiet on that end of things. Also, after watching the trailers, I was set up for 2 hours of constant battles, x-wings, light sabers etc. Again, in hindsight, that was not going to happen.

That said, as I've been talking about it with other people and thinking about different scenes and things that happened, I'm liking it more and more. When I watch it a second time, I think I'll enjoy it much more as I know what pace to expect.

Some of the stand out moments for me were:
    • Kyle Ren freezing the blaster shot in mid air. That was a real Wow moment for me.
    • The sound of the light sabers and that blaster shot. Much less hum and much more dangerous sounding crackle.
    • Rey is a fantastic character, played brilliantly. I can't wait to see her develop through the films.
    • BB8 - great personality, physics and equipment.
    • Finn putting the light saber through the storm trooper. This was a level of visual that I didn't expect.
    • The Han/Kylo scene - I really didn't know which way that was going to go.

I could go on and on, but these are the first ones that come to my mind. I love this universe and I love what JJ Abrams did with it.

Roll on my second watching of it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

It's definitely better on repeated viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

SteM wrote: »
    Nerdlingr wrote: »
    He's says 'leader' doesn't he?
    Yup, leader.

No. It's master. He says "Even you... Master of the Knights of Ren, have never faced such a test".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Disney don't like to be directly associated with more violent films.

Usually they put their Touchstone logo at the start instead of the Disney castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

shamrock55 wrote: »
    As said in a previous post i didnt like the way the force just came to rey at the drop of a hat, the bit when she got the stormtrooper to undo her restraints and drop his weapon was laughable and cringeworthy, jesus even obi wan had to wave his hand for it to work for him, i didnt like her out of the blue light saber skills in the final battle either,also her knowledge of the falcon was a bit much too,i mean she knew more about it then solo who built the fcuking thing

The force, yeah i can give you that. But anakin could also use the force at a very young age. She could be very powerful in it.

The saber we had already seen that she could fight earlier in the film. Also Ren was wounded and wasnt trying to kill as he wanted to teach. Plus until she tapped into the force (which guides your actions remember) she was losing. As to winning, surprise took Ren down, plus the Falcon showed up before the job was finished.

As for the Falcon, Han didnt build it, he modified it extensively and it had been missing for years (the part i didnt like Han would never lose the Falcon) so its entirely possible that Rey had been working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I was grinning like a fool watching this yesterday. The humour, the throwbacks, the battles, the "wow" moments I felt when I first laid my eyes on a Star Wars film were all there.

I loved every minute of it.

Easily beats Phantom Menace/Clone Wars into a bloody pulp with one punch imo.

After the first 20 minutes I felt safe knowing that the film was definitely in safe hands.

Loved it and I can't wait to see it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Seems a little pointless adding my thoughts to a 5200 post thread, but anyway: I figured after the cultural and critical disaster that were the prequels, any half decent Episode VII would be lapped up as a masterpiece in comparison; and sure enough, the new Star Wars felt like just that: half decent, and no more. Good, but not even the best blockbuster this year.

The characters were pretty well sketched out, and there were more overtly funny moments in this than some actual "comedies" I've seen (Chewie's passing of Han's overcoat in the elevator was a brilliantly understated, yet hilarious moment), but the rehashing of A New Hope was so blatant, so unabashed, by the third act I had become impatient and more than a little annoyed by everything. It was the type of story a poor piece of fan-fiction would use, yet there it was as the official 7th film.

I don't blame Disney for reverting back to type; who out there was eager to see more bad love stories, senate discussions, and poorly choreographed Jedi fights? But to have wedded Fore Awakens' script so tightly to the 1977 film just felt ... lazy, and made the film poorer as an experience. It was clear everyone was deeply engaged with the production, and that love all came out on-screen don't get me wrong, but the script was a total hack job. The aesthetics of Star Wars remain wonderful and it was so great to see the universe on the silver screen once more of course.

To the point where I'm left wondering if there are actually any new stories to tell in the cinematic universe? Or rather: is anyone actually willing to do so? I hope Rogue 1 can at least prove this is the case, because on the surface I'm more interested in that than Episode VIII at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wonder is Rey relayed to Obi-Wan. Doesn't make sense to have heard his voice in her vision particularly calling her by name if she was born years after he died. Maybe his granddaughter?

Would connect her into the main story, explain her connection to the Force, and would mean she's not yet another Skywalker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Penn wrote: »
    I wonder is Rey relayed to Obi-Wan. Doesn't make sense to have heard his voice in her vision particularly calling her by name if she was born years after he died. Maybe his granddaughter?

Would connect her into the main story, explain her connection to the Force, and would mean she's not yet another Skywalker.

Yoda was in the vision too apparently - it went past too quickly for me to catch much the first time around.

I like the idea that what was revealed to her was what the sabre bore witness to.

The flashback is a mix of Luke's memories and rey's so who knows..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I only have seen the film once but did they ever explain why the empire remnants are called the First order or why the rebels still have secret bases if they won the war??

I only have seen the film once but did they ever explain why the empire remnants are called the First order or why the rebels still have secret bases if they won the war??

They arent rebels...Leia is leading a special ops unit in search of Luke..the Republic is established and supporting her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

This had me wondering for the whole movie (Adam Driver photographed in X Wing pilot suit):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/star-wars/11101092/Could-Adam-Driver-be-a-Star-Wars-7-good-guy.html

During the movie I kept expecting him to be an X Wing pilot, and it didn't dawn on me for a while that he was behind the mask. Then I was waiting for him to turn "good" and go home with Han and suit up! So the death scene was a real shocker for me.

So, is this Driver in this picture, or someone else?

thats not him in that pic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

david75 wrote: »
    thats not him in that pic

Was it proven either way? It doesn't look like Oscar Isaac, unless its an extra?

I'd go with it being an extra.

there is a theory out there that Ren is being a double agent but thats too convoluted and this is Ep7 so it wouldnt work and why would he be dressed as an x wing pilot anyways? he'd communicate in secret with the resistance if he were playing both sides, he wouldnt be using x wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

There's another pretty straightforward possibility here too - someone in production wanted to f**k with the people speculating about the plot, etc. :D

• Advertisement

oh wow!!!

NEVER thought of that!!
    There’s a super-intriguing theory floating around that Luke is Rey’s father and Rey’s mother is the secret daughter of Obi-Wan Kenobi (which would make Rey a Skywalker AND a Kenobi, eeeeee!)

http://hellogiggles.com/theory-reys-parents-star-wars/

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

In regards to Reys use of the force:

When Ren hears that the droid escaped with a girl he force grabs the soldier and wrecks the consol.

Once Rey touches the light sabre she starts having force abilities i.e. The force awakens. When she starts using these abilities she knows how to use them, it's not like she's looking for the right words etc.

During the duel between Rey and Ren, I don't think Ren is trying to kill her outright. When he offers to train her he has her leaning back and unbalanced. Also she closes her eyes in some kind of force stoner buzz, as someone who trains with swords blinking alone can be the death of you.

All this points to Ren knowing her and her having some kind of previous exposure to the force. Perhaps her memories were suppressed.

Also Ren knows that Rey knows Ren's weakness is his conflicting and confused emotions. This may make him sloppy etc with regard to duelling.

oooh!!! goodie goodie..

the collider jedi Council FA breakdown is here..was waiting for this..its almost 2 hours long and goes into everything best of all theories and the questions we all have! seriously recommend these guys, they know what theyre talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Just dawned on me:

Luke, Leia - siblings.

Both start with same letter, therefore....

Ren, Rey - siblings.

Its has a kind of symmetry to it.....like poetry. Everything has come full circle.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think it's more likely she's Luke's if any. Han and Leia seem cut up enough about losing Ben, I don't think they'd have abandoned a child.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think it's more likely she's Luke's if any. Han and Leia seem cut up enough about losing Ben, I don't think they'd have abandoned a child.

There might be more to it then that though. Leia feared what was happening to her son enough to send him away to Luke, which is a form of abandonment. She expresses regret for this in TFA, suggesting this is what ended her relationship with Han. And this is before Ben proved her fears well founded.

Abandonment is a reoccurring theme in Johnson's work and I expect him to explore this further. I'm reminded of Emily Blunt's son in Johnson's Looper, a troubled child (mainly due to her junkie past) who without her love will become the future Rainmaker.

Is it possible Leia overreacted and inadvertently abandoned her son to Snoke's clutches? If she abandoned one child because she feared him becoming her father is it possible she had another child and kept her secret?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I also think it’s a mistake to assume that Rey is like Luke in the OT: ignorant of her parentage due to being too young or having her memory wiped or some other silly reason. She’s quite reluctant to talk about her reasons for waiting on Jakku. She tells BB8 it’s classified and tells Finn to mind his own business. I think she knows who left her there. And if there’s a big revelation in the next film it may very well be her doing the revealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Yea but but but didn't they play Lukes theme a few times for Rey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Why does everyone have to be related in some way?

Advertisement