Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Why does everyone have to be related in some way?

Don't ya have to be related to a Forcey type person to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Instead of peace be with you I said may the force be with you at mass this morning, got some odd looks. Well worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

py2006 wrote: »
    Yea but but but didn't they play Lukes theme a few times for Rey?

I don’t know. Luke doesn’t really have a theme. At various times the main fanfare and the force theme have represented him.

Look, where’s the story in Rey being Luke’s daughter? So she and Kylo are cousins? Is that what this trilogy is about – cousins? What’s interesting about that? It makes far more sense to make them siblings.

I don’t know. Luke doesn’t really have a theme. At various times the main fanfare and the force theme have represented him.

Look, where’s the story in Rey being Luke’s daughter? So she and Kylo are cousins? Is that what this trilogy is about – cousins? What’s interesting about that? It makes far more sense to make them siblings.

I'm fairly sure this was played on 3 occasions (at least part of) for Rey and then of course at the end for Luke.

Edit: Although I always called it Lukes theme, it does appear to be actually Force theme..

Love this. Its John Williams score from the final moments of the film, Rey climing Skellig and then seeing you know who and then end titles music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

So almost six thousand posts and nobody (I think) except me has a problem with bleeding from a laser blaster wound?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

A laser could partially nick a blood vessel and not totally cauterise at the same time so bleeds away....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

https://youtu.be/TNXRZd5vkdo?t=20m

I'll not even put in the embed because it's very spoilery. It's footage from a cannon Star Wars computer game. Deals with Ren and Rey. I'll say no more, but for me it's very conclusive.

Anyone interested should watch from the 20 minute mark, its within that minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

weemcd wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/TNXRZd5vkdo?t=20m

I'll not even put in the embed because it's very spoilery. It's footage from a cannon Star Wars computer game. Deals with Ren and Rey. I'll say no more, but for me it's very conclusive.

Anyone interested should watch from the 20 minute mark, its within that minute.

If you think he says cousin your wrong he says curses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

McLoughlin wrote: »
    If you think he says cousin your wrong he says curses

Jaysis you're right.

Back to the drawing board then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

and then seeing you know who

WHAT?!?!?! Voldemort was in the film?!?!:D:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

On Johnson and the abandonment issue. I can see Luke revealing to her he's her father and her becoming angry about being abandoned even tho it's for her own protection and still she can't forgive it and this will be her first step to the dark side.

I can see her end up dark side by the end and Ren ending up on the light side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

If Rey turned out to be a Kenobi there would be a nice symmetry in Luke doing for Rey what her grandfather once did for him by hiding her on a desert planet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

david75 wrote: »
    On Johnson and the abandonment issue. I can see Luke revealing to her he's her father and her becoming angry about being abandoned even tho it's for her own protection and still she can't forgive it and this will be her first step to the dark side.

I can see her end up dark side by the end and Ren ending up on the light side.

I’m still not seeing how Rey being left on a desert planet in the care of a scrap dealer with connections to the First Order could in any way be construed as being for her protection.

The way I see it, she was either sold to Putt as a slave, or he found her hiding aboard one of the ships he bought/stole.

Apparently it was called, 'Shadow of the Empire' for a bit until they decided to change it.

I noticed when some of you guys earlier were rating the Star Wars movies in order you left out the Holiday Special. What were you thinking?? Is the Force Awakens even a slight improvement over this?

Ok, this may be the 3 bottles of Corona but:

xhzThih.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I’m still not seeing how Rey being left on a desert planet in the care of a scrap dealer with connections to the First Order could in any way be construed as being for her protection.

The way I see it, she was either sold to Putt as a slave, or he found her hiding aboard one of the ships he bought/stole.

You're leaving out the Max Von Sydow character, who just happens to live in close proximity to where Rey was staying (Obi Wan proximity one could say) and to whom Luke trusted enough to be the only person he left directions to how to find him.

If you were abandoning your daughter and thought you might have second thoughts about it then it would make sense you'd not only leave someone to look out for her but also give him the way to find you when you wanted and/or she was ready.

Luke and Leia were placed with people the family knew but their births were a total secret meaning hiding in plain sight, with people they knew, worked but if it was common knowledge that Luke had a kid you'd have to go to much more extreme lengths to take her off the grid, as you said who would expect the child be given to a scrap dealer with connections to the first order? Max Von Sydow's character also mentioned trying to atone for something, could this be atoning for his part in putting Rey through the pain of growing up in practical slavery even if it was for her own good?

It's not a slam dunk but there's plenty there to work with, especially when you add in her quick learning (/remembering) of the force, her piloting skills, fixing skills (all skywalker traits), her force vision when touching Anakin/Luke's lightsaber, her reaction when seeing Luke, and Leia's reaction to meeting her (Han mightnt have put 2+2 together but Leia has shown previously that she can feel people she's related to).

There’s nothing in the film to suggest she knew Sydow’s character, who lived in a village on the other side of the desert. Also - the Empire is gone and the New Order probably didn’t even exist yet when she was left on Jakku. So the idea that she was hidden there makes no sense. Why hide her there when you could place in far greater safety somewhere in the Republic? And I don’t see how being left in the hands of a scumbag scrap dealer who didn’t even want to give her full food rations was for her own good. She could have died there. Hell, it seems to me that that was probably the idea of whoever left her there.

I’m not ruling out that she is a Skywalker/Solo whose existence was kept secret. But if so something major went wrong that resulted in her being left on Jakku. It’s definitely not a Luke/Leia situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

There’s nothing in the film to suggest she knew Sydow’s character, who lived in a village on the other side of the desert. Also - the Empire is gone and the New Order probably didn’t even exist yet when she was left on Jakku. So the idea that she was hidden there makes no sense. Why hide her there when you could place in far greater safety somewhere in the Republic? And I don’t see how being left in the hands of a scumbag scrap dealer who didn’t even want to give her full food rations was for her own good. She could have died there. Hell, it seems to me that that was probably the idea of whoever left her there.

I’m not ruling out that she is a Skywalker/Solo whose existence was kept secret. But if so something major went wrong that resulted in her being left on Jakku. It’s definitely not a Luke/Leia situation.

There was nothing in ANH until Obi Wan told Luke when he was searched out and had to reveal it. He spent a similar/longer amount of time in the background never making contact with Luke (all he knew was a rumour of a hermit called Old Ben who was thought to be dead years). In this case the potential protector was taken out before he could reveal himself, like if the Vader vs Obi Wan duel happened before he met Luke rather than on the destroyer.

Ren destroyed Luke's school and if the visions are to be believed killed all the students. If Luke couldnt stop him the first time, how could he expect to do it the next time, especially if he is ruined with guilt and possibly fearing he might turn to the darkside.

I accept that it may not be a situation of Luke dropping the kid off but rather something like Sydow's being put in charge and he decided to give her away or she made it there and he tracked her down. To me, it's just too much of a coincidence that he was trusted with the map and she just happened to be in such close proximity (especially with the other possible clues that I listed that point to her being Luke's kid).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

could have been on the Millenium Falcon?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Just dawned on me:

Luke, Leia - siblings.

Both start with same letter, therefore....

Ren, Rey - siblings.

Its has a kind of symmetry to it.....like poetry. Everything has come full circle.

ben?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I'll be seeing it again in a few days and I think the best thing I can say is that it's not the action spectacle, beautiful visuals and amazing editing that's bringing me back. It's getting to spend 2 more hours with these characters. Especially look forward to paying more attention to Finn's arc, for all the complaints of similarities to ANH this really isn't something we've seen in a Star Wars movie before. I found his constant bewilderment really charming too, I think a connection can be made between him and the kids who are/were flung into this world and over-awed with it. He's in a near constant state of "holy shit!" :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

e_e wrote: »
    I'll be seeing it again in a few days and I think the best thing I can say is that it's not the action spectacle, beautiful visuals and amazing editing that's bringing me back. It's getting to spend 2 more hours with these characters. Especially look forward to paying more attention to Finn's arc, for all the complaints of similarities to ANH this really isn't something we've seen in a Star Wars movie before. I found his constant bewilderment really charming too, I think a connection can be made between him and the kids who are/were flung into this world and over-awed with it. He's in a near constant state of "holy shit!" :D

Yeah I loved how much of a goof he is e.g. "That's one hell of a pilot!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

On a second viewing, I enjoyed it more, but I'm still disappointed that coincidence drove so much of the early part of the film. A very similar story could have seen Rey take the Millenium Falcon knowing that it was the famous Han Solo's, hoping that she could use it to find him and enlist his help in getting BB8 back to the Resistance.

And a minor point, but an example of how inelegant Solo's introduction into the story is: the toxic gas. They plan to flood the Falcon with it when Stormtroopers board, but Han and Chewie come on board instead. They never do as planned, but there is never any tension wrung from it. We never see Rey poised to release the gas, or hesitate when she hears Han. The film just loses interest in it once Solo is on screen.

Argh, I really don’t want to get into this endless theorising. I did this with Lost and it was a terrible mistake since Abrams’ mystery box formula was all about creating intriguing mysteries out of hanging plot threads that could be potentially answered a million different ways depending on the future direction of the story. On the Empire podcast, Kasdan said they didn’t want to dictate the direction of the next two films, which suggests to me that Abrams approached this film the same way he’d approach a tv pilot: keep your story options open.

Personally I think the “I’m waiting for my family” thing was something Abrams came up with to explain why a capable pilot like Rey hadn’t stolen a ship and skedaddled already. It’s an intriguing mystery but I don’t think he had an answer at the time he wrote it. Also, from reading theories online, it’s amazing how much can be read into Luke, Leia and Kylo’s interactions with Rey in this film. She could be a Skywalker, a Solo, a random, almost anything is still possible.

The question isn’t what Abrams intended, but what answer best serves the needs of the story Johnson wants to tell. I don’t necessarily agree that Rey has to be a Skywalker or Solo to continue the family theme. We already have same the number of Skywalkers in this trilogy as we did in the last one: Luke, Leia and Ben.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I hope they don't make Rey related to either Skywalker or Solo. I didnt think you had to have a relative that was a jedi to become one yourself. It is a bit depressing to find that the Solos were bad parents i hope luke isn't one as well.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Dricmeister

Don't ya have to be related to a Forcey type person to get it?

I don't think so. Some people can just be force sensitive. And Anakin was conceived by the midichlorians Jesus style.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

This is fan made. I think it's great
    FE9659D3-852D-4916-90D4-5D428343B7FC.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Penn wrote: »
    I wonder is Rey relayed to Obi-Wan. Doesn't make sense to have heard his voice in her vision particularly calling her by name if she was born years after he died. Maybe his granddaughter?

Would connect her into the main story, explain her connection to the Force, and would mean she's not yet another Skywalker.

Obi Wan calling her ?

Who's voice did they use ?

Ewan McGregors ?

Advertisement