Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

david75 wrote: »
    Agreed.

Saying you hate Force Awakens is the new 'I'm vegan' haha!

Empty vessels tend to make the most noise n all that.
    I neither have the time or energy but I'm guessing most of the people that didn't like the force awakens are the same ones who didn't like Spectre, Jurassic World, Avengers and the new batman v superman trailer, and the same ones who loved mad max fury road.

Why?

Simply because all those movies were huge box office hits and they like to be niche and go against the grain because it's another attempt to stand out from the masses and seem like an individual.

Whereas Fury Road was pulled from the cinemas early so that was a "cult classic".

Even though I suspect a few of them will be distancing themselves from fury road after it was included in the golden globe best picture shortlist.

The force awakens ticks all the boxes while also giving a fair few nods to the originals and nicely setting up the next two movies with a lot of unanswered questions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I neither have the time or energy but I'm guessing most of the people that didn't like the force awakens are the same ones who didn't like Spectre, Jurassic World, Avengers and the new batman v superman trailer, and the same ones who loved mad max fury road.

Why?

Simply because all those movies were huge box office hits and they like to be niche and go against the grain because it's another attempt to stand out from the masses and seem like an individual.

Whereas Fury Road was pulled from the cinemas early so that was a "cult classic".

Even though I suspect a few of them will be distancing themselves from fury road after it was included in the golden globe best picture shortlist.

The force awakens ticks all the boxes while also giving a fair few nods to the originals and nicely setting up the next two movies with a lot of unanswered questions.

Nobody liked Jurassic world in fairness. It was beyond awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Oh bore off eh? People have opinions/tastes. They won't always be the same as yours. Time to grow up a bit and start to accept that I reckon. Or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Why?

Because Fury Road played away from the safety zone, probably.

It's the difference between The Killers and Pink Floyd. It's small thinking to allude to people being movie hipsters because they want something that's not exactly what they expected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I loved Fury Road and Force Awakens, liked Jurassic World, really disliked Spectre, and hated Avengers and that sh*tty-looking Batman v Superman trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Just back from seeing this. As I said much earlier in this thread I watched episodes 4 - 6 for the first time this year and wasn't a huge fan of them but I was glad I watched them.

Anyway I did enjoy this movie. It's extremely safe playing on a lot of similar plot lines from A New Hope but at least it does it well. It looks great, sounds great (still hate that there is sound in space), much better choreography, better acting and some sad moments to throw in too. Also Han and Chewie are still one of the best things about the movie.

On some of the negatives.. as I said it's really safe. Plot seems the same as A New Hope and there is a bit too much fan service/nostalgia using carbon copy shots like flying through the trench to destroy the death thing.

Fin was a little too stupid for my liking. The scene where Han is nodding his head forward to suggest something was behind Fin was really annoying. Nit-picking, yup, but it did bother me.

The Snock guy was a bit ****e. Main villain being CGI is never good, ask The Hobbit.

Did anyone else think it had a weird ending? A long pause between Luke and Ray (I'm assuming that's how it's spelt) looking at each other. Camera pans and movie ends. Would have much preferred if it had just ended on either R2-D2 rebooting or the Falcon flying off to find Luke.

Anyway, enjoyable movie and I hope the next one is a lot more new than old.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

tok9 wrote: »
    Did anyone else think it had a weird ending? A long pause between Luke and Ray (I'm assuming that's how it's spelt) looking at each other. Camera pans and movie ends. Would have much preferred if it had just ended on either R2-D2 rebooting or the Falcon flying off to find Luke.

RED REY (narrating as the Falcon flies away): I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a Jedi in training can feel, a Jedi at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it to the island. I hope to see Luke and give him his lightsaber back. I hope he can teach me the ways of the Force. I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Overall I liked the Force Awakens, probably wouldn't crack my top 30 films of the year but it's a fun romp. You'd have to be a bit nuts to expect people who either have no interest at all or didn't like it to not want to be vocal about it though considering the thing is absolutely unavoidable.

Personally, I feel there's a certain level of mass hysteria about the whole thing (and that's not just the audience, some of the merchandising and associations with products were beyond baffling) and it makes it very difficult to be at all objective about it.
    Fury Road is a bit of a different beast in that it's so absolutely focused on one thing that there's simply no way it wouldn't be quite divisive and doesn't even seem to be straining for universal appeal in the way that every blockbuster is required too. I think it's unbelievably good but I can see how someone who wasn't swept up in it would just think it's a load of silly old ****e. That Fury Road even managed to make $400 million in cinemas is amazing, but the fact that Warner Brothers were willing to put $150 million into it is a thousand times more stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    FFS. Or maybe some people simply didn't enjoy the new Star Wars as much as other people. It is possible you know. We do however live in an age where not conforming to the majority view on the internet tends to attract mean spirited comments like the above; nasty little personal comments that add nothing to the discussion and instead, inevitably, create division and argument.

Heaven forbid some people don't enjoy something as much as you do - it clearly must be done to some inner insecurity or desire to appear superior. Yes. Clearly. I just thought Force Awakens made too much of a deal in rehashing its own mythology. Little did I know it was simply because of some psychological inferiority. The thread's now entering that fun phase of attacking the contrarians. Marvellous. Dark Knight all over again :(

It's gas, isn't it. People can't critique a film nowadays? Something that's been done since people first projected moving pictures onto a screen for audiences to view.

You'd think this was new or something.

:pac:

The only thing that's different is that people have more elaborate views and a vehicle (the interwebs) to express them by to more people. We're on a film thread discussing what we like and don't like about a film.

Tony EH wrote: »
    We're on a film thread discussing what we like and don't like about a film.

Ye serious?
    I just saw everyone else lining up...
    I thought you were sellin drugs

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Dricmeister

There is a tendency to slag off anything that's popular or mainstream.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There is a tendency to slag off anything that's popular or mainstream.

There's a more likely tendency that with anything as insanely popular as Star Wars, not everyone is going to love it to the same unconditional degree. It's not a symptom of some neurotic desire to buck the trend, or grasp for critical brownie points, as some here are trying to insinuate for some bizarre reason; some of us just didn't enjoy the film as much as others. An apparently hard concept to believe it seems. At the end of the day, it's just a bloody movie, not a political leaning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Right, enough of this train of discussion.

There is no science to who liked or didn't like this film. Nobody is 'right' or 'wrong' because subjective responses to a film are by their very nature varied and personal. Somebody isn't being contrary just by criticising it, nor is anybody experiencing a mass delusion by expressing a fondness for it.

In short: other people will have different opinions to the film than you. Make peace with the fact. You'll be happier for it, and the thread will be much less infuriating.

Talk about the film, not the people who watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Anybody seen it more than twice???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Just back from seeing it... I thought it was quite good... The escape from the desert planet was great... I'll enjoy seeing the next one...

Oh... I didn't like Spectre, but I loved Skyfall...

py2006 wrote: »
    Anybody seen it more than twice???

Yeah..6 times so far. One more with my pal who hasn't seen it then that's all.
    I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Whats the best order for watching these? id like to watch the others before i go to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

IV, V, VI and VII

It couldn't be simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Whats the best order for watching these? id like to watch the others before i go to this.

Honestly I'd say just watch 4,5,6. Watch 7 and if you want then you can go back and watch 1,2,3.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Dricmeister

Despite the issues with I, II, and III, you should watch I to VI in that order if you're coming to it fresh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Despite the issues with I, II, and III, you should watch I to VI in that order if you're coming to it fresh.

That would ruin the experience IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Just saw it again for the second time. Think I enjoyed it more this time because I could take it all in. And like others said, this time I picked up Obi Wan's voice in the flashback. Still jumped a bit at the "big moment", even though I knew it was coming:-). But overall I'm still delighted with it, and I'm glad I got to see it in the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The prequels were incredibly disappointing but they're still well worth watching, if for nothing else the large amount of large scale battle scenes, lightsaber duels, soundtracks, etc.

Not great Star wars films but still good entertainment. To be honest the Force Awakens had no standout action scenes really that were even comparable to The Phantom Menace's three-way lightsaber duel, for example.

The attack on the Trade Federation control ship in the final act was more exciting to me than the frankly boring Death Star re-hash of The Force Awakens - even though obviously, TFA is still a better film overall for other reasons.

They get a lot of flack, but the prequels all have some excellent moments that were overshadowed by the poor creative decisions taken.

TFA is a good film and overall it's way better rounded than any of the prequels, but it also has serious faults in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,493 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Saw it for the 2nd time today, this time in 3d, and must say I was generally impressed by it.

Don't know why 3d isn't more popular, I think it adds a lot to cinema if used right and done properly.

As for the film, I think Ford obviously only fancied doing one of the new films, and probably agreed beforehand he would be out

Also think removing the kylo ren mask was a terrible idea. He was a menacing character up to that point, but think a lot of his mystique vanished once we saw his face, he just looked too civil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

NIMAN wrote: »
    Also think removing the kylo ren mask was a terrible idea. He was a menacing character up to that point, but think a lot of his mystique vanished once we saw his face, he just looked too civil.

That's exactly the idea. Initially we're meant to see him as a menacing and powerful Lord of the Sith, as we see him through the eyes of others who can't possibly understand the nature of the power he wields.

His use of the mask is an effort to instill the same psychological terror in people that the mask of his grandfather Darth Vader did and carve out a name and identity for himself.

When he takes it off, he's revealed who he really is - a scared, conflicted and confused individual who is weak without a mask to hide behind.

His journey is the most interesting aspect of the upcoming Episode VIII for that reason. Will he succumb to the dark side - and become more powerful than he ever could have possibly imagined? The acts of TFA and his subsequent training will mould him into a true Sith - and not just the pretender he was until that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

My preferred order is VI, V, III, VI and VII.

Ep IV introduces you to the Star Wars universe, then Ep V, which delves much deeper into the characters' backgrounds and takes the story to another level, given that in Ep V you discover more about one particular character it is then best to go back to Ep III which gives you the reasons as to why that character became what they became, next on the list is Ep VI which brings to an end the story arc, and then watch Ep VII.

Ep I and II are optional!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

bilston wrote: »
    My preferred order is VI, V, III, VI and VII

Closet Ewok fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

If coming to the series fresh, don't watch prequels till you've seen empire strikes back..

Otherwise, you'd ruin the reveal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Watch the original trilogy then the prequels. Prequels ain't near as bad as people make out but the originals need to be seen first to set the story and tone of the series.

Prequels aren't meant to be a starting point. They are meant to be a look back at events before a known narrative. So it won't really work 1-7 for a first time viewer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Myrddin wrote: »
    Closet Ewok fan?

Ha! Definitely not! Just crap at Roman Numerals!

Advertisement