Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Madbod wrote: »
    Bring it on, it'll be a nice change to seeing the same characters all the time in franchise movies (eg Trek) and gives them a chance to explore the Star Wars Universe. What hamstrung these films is they never strayed too far from Mr Lucas' vision and the prequels proved how flawed it could be

Agreed. The second most lame thing about Star Trek 2009 was that they just rebooted the same old characters and situation and then let them ham it up with their unintentional parody performances.

Similarly the SW prequels were a disaster in part because it was essentially just doing the same thing over again. Let's see how many memorable scenes, characters, lines we can just rehash and then pass off as 'generational poetry'.

I can only imagine how mind-****ed people were in 1980 watching ESB after seeing ANH. I bet they were just expecting more of the same, but they got something a bit different and more ambitious and I reckon that's a lot of why that particular film is so revered today.

However you knew watching the prequels that you were never going to get a movie or even a moment like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

krudler wrote: »
    Thats because a lot of the cinemagoing public are morons. people should read up on what they're going to watch.
    I completely agree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Hematocyte wrote: »
    I can only imagine how mind-****ed people were in 1980 watching ESB after seeing ANH. I bet they were just expecting more of the same, but they got something a bit different and more ambitious and I reckon that's a lot of why that particular film is so revered today.

This.

RotJ was a big disappointment: blow up the death star, again ... plus teddy bears!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

According to EW we're looking at 2 standalone movies with Boba Fett and Young Han Solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Along with the adaptation of Seven Samurai? What's the status of that project?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Seven Samurai thing was linked to the Zack Snyder rumour which was later shot down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

This.

RotJ was a big disappointment: blow up the death star, again ... plus teddy bears!

Still, it did have that cool hoverbike chase on Endor. Seeing that for the first time in the Ambassador Cinema was awesome :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    According to EW we're looking at 2 standalone movies with Boba Fett and Young Han Solo.

i defiantly knew there would be a Boba Fett film when these spin-offs were announced

ricero wrote: »
    i defiantly knew there would be a Boba Fett film when these spin-offs were announced

Joe Johnston has been talking about a stand alone Boba Fett film for the last few years so I'd imagine that if he has a decent enough package together and can get Disney interested then we may see his Fett film sometime in the coming years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Did I not see some mention of a Yoda origins film?

The bouncing ball of green nonsense from the prequel trilogy really ruined Yoda's coolness - instead of being a font of wisdom and holding of great power through the force, they relegated him to just another space-ninja, albeit a tiny one.

If they go down that route they can foook off.

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    Still, it did have that cool hoverbike chase on Endor. Seeing that for the first time in the Ambassador Cinema was awesome :D

The Luke/Vader/Emperor scenes were good, too. If they had thought up an original idea instead of "ooh, the empire is building another death star", sorted out the Ewoks so that a legion of the emperor's crack troops are not beaten by teddy bears with sticks, shortened the opening Han Solo rescue to a sensible length, and most importantly, shown what really happens when Luke cuts loose with a light saber, it could have been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I've huge reservations about these character spin off movies. The adventures of Han Solo without Harrison Ford just doesn't appeal to me though it does have potential. The Boba Fett bounty hunter movie sounds like an awful idea though. He's character in Star Wars is limited to being a DNA clone of a bounty hunter and... bounty hunting. He's cool but I don't think he can carry a movie by himself, let alone a "Star Wars" movie.

Star Wars always had an epic, galactic scale to them. Our heroes fighting the evil Empire or an evil... trading federation :cool: There is potential for Han Solo to reach that galactic, planet hopping, evil empire scale with his movies set during the Empire's reign but it'll never top the original trilogy. Worse still for Boba, I see no way in which a movie around him can achieve the epic feel of Star Wars.... I don't even know where they'd begin for his opening crawl? He's just a bounty hunter!

Much worse for Han Solo and Boba Fett movies: no Jedi, no Force, no light saber fights. Why bother?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Much worse for Han Solo and Boba Fett movies: no Jedi, no Force, no light saber fights. Why bother?

BOBA FETT! Thats why :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I really enjoyed the Han Solo trilogy when it came out iin the late 90s I wonder would they make a film adaptation of them or just make something else up.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    BOBA FETT! Thats why :pac:

I collected tokens or something similar for BF because at the time, you couldn't buy the palitoy figure in the shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I wonder if the Fett movie will be aimed at a slightly more mature audience than the mainline trilogy. Han Solo could certainly front a family adventure movie, but Fett the bounty hunter would seem to lend himself more naturally to a darker story (I'm presuming that these new films will effectively ignore the prequels, and will not be exploring his Māori upbringing:pac:.)

By the by, Fett had a much better voice in the animated segment that introduced him than the growl he had in the OT, being the only good thing to come out of that Xmas special.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Rumour that John Noble will play a villain in the trilogy.

A fantastic actor who would make an excellent villain. He would definitely lend a lot of gravitas to any role.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

I'm not a huge Star Wars expert or anything, but I read a few of the graphic novels and the novels. Some of them are amazing stories, they should think about adapting some of them. They were fairly mature as well, gorey and and adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Why keep it in the same timeline as original star wars? I'd like a movie around darth bane or even go back as far as the old republic games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Regarding the standalone films (Cash cows or not it'll be great to have more Star Wars on the big screen)
    Blessed with what must be the world's deepest treasure trove of incredibly interesting characters and intriguing stories to draw upon, it would be monumentally small minded, unimaginative and downright boring to stick to the tiny sliver of time and same old flogged to death characters we've seen to date. Give us something new. Thrawn, Revan and Malak, Belth Allusis or Malgus for instance but there are literally hundreds if not thousands more.

Hearing about a Boba Fett or a Han Solo movie is dismaying in the extreme. You have the whole universe guys, and it's a great one, use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i think a boba fett movie could be quite good if it dealt with bounty hunting in general within the universe and had slightly more of an adult tone. no interest in a chewbacca film though

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Harrison Ford will apparently play Han Solo in "Star Wars: Episode VII."

That's the report from Latino Review reporter Umberto “El Mayimbe” Gonzalez, who went on Fox News Latino to break the news that Ford had signed on to appear in the new "Star Wars" film. According to Gonzalez, the deal is "significant."

That Ford would return to "Star Wars" is somewhat expected. Back in November of 2012, shortly after Disney announced plans for further "Star Wars" films, EW.com's Geoff Boucher revealed that Ford was interested in coming back, though the star did have one request: that Han Solo perish in the new film.

Ford hasn't been shy about his vision of the Han Solo character; he famously wanted Solo to die at the end of "Star Wars: Episode VI - The Return of the Jedi," but George Lucas decided that would be a bad idea for financial reasons. »

Link

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I automatically presume this is just tattle & rumour, but dragging the 70-year old Ford back into the franchise is a terrible idea, real or not. Even if it were as part of some form of narrative bookending, with flashbacks to a younger Han Solo, it'd just lessen the new Solo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Why would they spoil the movie before its even been made by mentioning that he's going to die for **** sake,

I can bet who the sacrificial lamb to whatever new villain in the new movie is gonna be now ....:/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Why would they spoil the movie before its even been made by mentioning that he's going to die for **** sake,

I can bet who the sacrificial lamb to whatever new villain in the new movie is gonna be now ....:/

Who knows it might be a Steven Seagal 'Executive Decision' like death?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Well we knew how the last lot of films would end I mean no one was crying spoilers then

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Jernal wrote: »
    Who knows it might be a Steven Seagal 'Executive Decision' like death?
    Ha,ya that was great,I didn't see it coming at the time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

found out what the new films gonna be about. opening scene slimy messy horrible,
    Boba Fett cuts his way out of the saarlac and vows revenge on Solo et al and comes to get them while they're busy building the new republic.

I found this out in a dream though:)

actually how would they go about reorganising the republic? sure, you cut off the head but surely his army and endless civil servants are spread throughout the galaxy?

• Advertisement

Suddenly, I'm reminded of Yes Prime Minister :D

Bernard Woolley: Uh, yes. Sir Humphrey, can I just mention one thing?
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: Yes, Bernard?
    Bernard Woolley: There has been movement.
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: On what subject?
    Bernard Woolley: On a subject on which the Civil Service hopes there will be no movement.
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: The Civil Service generally hopes there will be no movement on any subject!

Advertisement