Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

But if noise from children is an issue for you at all, shouldn't you have gone later?

Going to see a 12A movie "during the day" means that noise from kids is inevitable.

I couldn't actually have gone any later, and shouldn't they have gone earlier than 6.45 with many of these children that couldn't have been any more than 5 or 6 and some looked even younger. Anyway 12a isn't really a children's film.

Ps, if you're one of these people who brought children then just say so now, because we're not going to agree and I have no interest in a protracted off topic argument.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Dricmeister

I couldn't actually have gone any later, and shouldn't they have gone earlier than 6.45 with many of these children that couldn't have been any more than 5 or 6 and some looked even younger. Anyway 12a isn't really a children's film.

Ps, if you're one of these people who brought children then just say so now, because we're not going to agree and I have no interest in a protracted off topic argument.

I brought children at 2.40 and it was noisy (mine were not). There were adults complaining and I've no sympathy for them given the time of day.

The first time I saw it I went at 9pm so there'd be no kids there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

But if noise from children is an issue for you at all, shouldn't you have gone later?

Going to see a 12A movie "during the day" means that noise from kids is inevitable.
    I went to a 21:15 showing and there were a couple of kids there who were under 10. They were fine thankfully, though occasionally with the odd, "What's that Dad, who said that?" or, "Yaaay, Chewie!".

You can't really guarantee it'll be free of kids at any time.

I brought children at 2.40 and it was noisy (mine were not). There were adults complaining and I've no sympathy for them given the time of day.

The first time I saw it I went at 9pm so there'd be no kids there.

Well at least you brought you're children early, I understand that, 6.45 is a bit too late for young children if you ask me, they were tired and cranky, a couple of them were brought out before the end (by their parents btw, not because of complaints).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Well at least you brought you're children early, I understand that, 6.45 is a bit too late for young children if you ask me, they were tired and cranky, a couple of them were brought out before the end (by their parents btw, not because of complaints).

There should be kid free screenings of movies, particularly highly anticipated ones like this. Because if there's kids at it it's going to be ruined for whatever poor ****ers get stuck sitting close to them. There's no avoiding it and it's pretty annoying to have to fork out the already costly price for the ticket to have the movie ruined on you by some kid who hasn't the first clue what's going.

• Advertisement

There should be kid free screenings of movies, particularly highly anticipated ones like this. Because if there's kids at it it's going to be ruined for whatever poor ****ers get stuck sitting close to them. There's no avoiding it and it's pretty annoying to have to fork out the already costly price for the ticket to have the movie ruined on you by some kid who hasn't the first clue what's going.

Here here, kid free screenings and lifetime bans for idiots of all ages who think the cinema is a great aul place for a chat and a good gander at the phone.

Jaysus I must be getting terrible cranky in me auld age!

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Dricmeister

A woman in front of me took out an iPad during The Force Awakens and started doing stuff on it.

Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think I'd let a roar at her for that.

FFS. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

One of the cut scenes from the movie - why an earth would they have cut this out, it would have clarified so much!
    In the film, General Leia’s appearance is saved for late in the film. Leia first shows up as Han, Chewie and Finn outside Maz’s castle following the First Order attack. But originally she appeared much earlier in the film. Her appearance set up the Galactic senate, with Leia having a conversation with Korr Sella (played by Maisie Richardson-Sellers), the dark-haired woman who is featured in the balcony scene when Starkiller base blows up Hosinian Prime. The Visual Dictionary features the above screenshot (right) of Korr, which appears to be a shot from this sequence in the movie. The book also explains that Leia, with a reputation twisted by corrupt politicians, relies on the young envoy to “make her case for the Senate to take direct action against the First Order.” While I don’t know the exact extent of what was filmed, the scene is described in the novelization

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

seamus wrote: »
    I went to a 21:15 showing and there were a couple of kids there who were under 10. They were fine thankfully, though occasionally with the odd, "What's that Dad, who said that?" or, "Yaaay, Chewie!".

You can't really guarantee it'll be free of kids at any time.

Kids at cinemas have never really bothered me as you kind of expect it as they really know any better. Its when adults are being completely rude like the poster above with a lady with an ipod that annoys me.

• Advertisement

That list posted a few pages back is well worth a read, there's a huge amount of information in the deleted scenes - some added little, but some really should have remained in the film.

There's a scene involving Kylo Ren and the Millenium Falcon, and a scene where Snoke and Kylo Ren discuss the fall of the Galactic Empire and Darth Vader's duel with Luke Skywalker.

Wish they had left them in! They would have added tremendously to the character of Kylo Ren.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

sky88 wrote: »
    Kids at cinemas have never really bothered me as you kind of expect it as they really know any better. Its when adults are being completely rude like the poster above with a lady with an ipod that annoys me.

I've had some awful cinema experiences with skanger teens talking/laughing/texting and answering calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Tbh the prequels were better, at least they had Lucas's vision however flawed that was. Abrams has no vision other than design by committee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Tbh the prequels were better

I'm all for each to their own...but jesus....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Tbh the prequels were better, at least they had Lucas's vision however flawed that was. Abrams has no vision other than design by committee.

Don't forget your coat before you leave the internet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I have New Hope / IV on here in the background. Comparing Grand Moff Tarkin / Peter Cushing with General Hux / Domhnall Gleeson is like comparing Superman and Panti Bliss.

An extraordinary casting decision. He's like a prefect in a Harry Potter movie.

That's the point. He too has to be young enough to be manipulated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

One of the cut scenes from the movie - why an earth would they have cut this out, it would have clarified so much!

I assume because it introduced Leia too early, diminishing the impact of her later appearance.

I agree the political situation needed to be better established, but the opening crawl could have done that just as easily if they hadn't been so afraid of making it too political.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I agree the political situation needed to be better established, but the opening crawl could have done that just as easily if they hadn't been so afraid of making it too political.

I'd say fear of political exposition was a big reason for this (it was a huge complaint re the prequels)

The cut scene between Snoke and Kylo Ren about the fall of the Empire and Darth Vader's fight with Luke would have been incredibly powerful in the movie in the lead up to Ren's confrontation with Han. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The cut scene between Snoke and Kylo Ren about the fall of the Empire and Darth Vader's fight with Luke would have been incredibly powerful in the movie in the lead up to Ren's confrontation with Han. :(

That's from the novel. It's not clear whether it was ever part of the script. And if it was it might have been deleted for other reasons, like conflicting with Johnson's story for Episode 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That list posted a few pages back is well worth a read, there's a huge amount of information in the deleted scenes - some added little, but some really should have remained in the film.

There's a scene involving Kylo Ren and the Millenium Falcon, and a scene where Snoke and Kylo Ren discuss the fall of the Galactic Empire and Darth Vader's duel with Luke Skywalker.

Wish they had left them in! They would have added tremendously to the character of Kylo Ren.
    Unfortunately editing can be as much about marketing as it is about the art. It's a Disney franchise now so has to appeal to the child market as well as the adult one. At 2 hours the film is already pushing the boundaries of what an under-14 will sit through, so I imagine a lot of sacrifices were made to get there.

Never fear, there will no doubt be an extended cut released on BD that's about 3 hours long.

Never fear, there will no doubt be an extended cut released on BD that's about 3 hours long.

Seems unlikely. Abrams had final cut. And he doesn’t believe in extended cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I like all the Star Wars movies. One right through to seven, I like finding a nice comfy spot on the fence when people start bickering about them.
    It's nice to have a discussion but I think people get bogged down in trying to show their opinion as right instead of showing it as their opinion.

As for the newest one I thought it treaded old ground and hope the differences show more in the next one.
    That said I still found it enjoyable and look forward to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

JJ's first cut was only 2hr 40 mins so don't bank on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Saw it for third time yesterday.

For me, I felt seeing it a couple of times allowed me to appreciate the movie more and not get bogged down whining about elements that seem less important on repeat viewings.

Firstly, I felt seeing it again benefits in that the expectation and concentration levels in first viewings are gone. As such I relaxed more and enjoyed it better.

Secondly , the minor gripes (similar story to originals etc) didn't bother me at all.

Thirdly, I could take more of the movie in. The scenes with the falcon just get better and better.

Fourthly I actually found Ren a more understandable character. He felt a little whingy and poor at fighting (gets beaten by a woman fighting with sabre the first time!). But watching it again they set the tone well with Rey being a self thought fighter who had it tough and can look after herself.

Ren seemed to have it all from the start and his behaviour was consistently like the spoilt child not getting what it wants. I also felt that him taking his helmet off was very relevant. This was him exposed and when he seemed most vulnerable and at odds with his alliegance.

This movie was pretty much everything that I could of hoped for and I will go see it again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Drumpot wrote: »
    Saw it for third time yesterday.

For me, I felt seeing it a couple of times allowed me to appreciate the movie more and not get bogged down whining about elements that seem less important on repeat viewings.

Firstly, I felt seeing it again benefits in that the expectation and concentration levels in first viewings are gone. As such I relaxed more and enjoyed it better.

Secondly , the minor gripes (similar story to originals etc) didn't bother me at all.

Thirdly, I could take more of the movie in. The scenes with the falcon just get better and better.

Fourthly I actually found Ren a more understandable character. He felt a little whingy and poor at fighting (gets beaten by a woman fighting with sabre the first time!). But watching it again they set the tone well with Rey being a self thought fighter who had it tough and can look after herself.

Ren seemed to have it all from the start and his behaviour was consistently like the spoilt child not getting what it wants. I also felt that him taking his helmet off was very relevant. This was him exposed and when he seemed most vulnerable and at odds with his alliegance.

This movie was pretty much everything that I could of hoped for and I will go see it again.

Couldnt agree more. It does need to be seen a few times to really take it all in and really understand each characters motivations but most of all Kylos.

And remember once he realises how strong she is with the force when she reaches into his mind, he's afraid of her. He's had a bit of training but she's far more powerful than him and he knows it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I can only apologise, and assure you that insulting anyone was the last thing on my mind.

Oops, sorry no, I meant insulting towards the film as a whole and everything else it gets right, that reveal alone wouldn't be enough to make it endure. Probably phrased it a bit too strongly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Well I saw it again. Was gonna go to Lighthouse but noticed while having lunch in town that it was starting in Savoy 1 in 15 minutes. Glad I went there, the sound was so cranked up that the speakers literally started rattling (adding to the scenes of Ren using the force) at some points and the audience were grand, nary a phone in sight from where I was sitting.
    Poe and Finn running to each other to hug
    = The best buddy moment of 2015.

Whoever was sitting right down in the front row today:

tumblr_mypftpufV31qf2y2ko1_250.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

How Kylo Ren got Vaders helmet. Didn't know about these clips.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=DxEKfNmf2cA

• Advertisement

Variety: George Lucas Says He Sold ‘Star Wars’ to ‘White Slavers’

Good ol’ George, still sticking it to Hollywood, even after taking their money. Never change.

Advertisement