Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭wally79

namloc1980 wrote: »
    CGI islands

surely CGIslands :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

a few questions

- No point building a bigger badder weapon, with a bigger flaw, i mean come on people

Simply put. It's bog standard lazy writing. nothing else.
    - Why did they move away from the clone army?

As far as I know, the Clone army had accelerated growth which meant they were a limited item. Somewhere between the end of the ****ty sequels and 'Star Wars', the Empire started to hire humans sympathetic to their cause and also instituted a program of raising youngsters specifically for military service.
    - The new big bad, where did he come from?

From out of nowhere. But I suppose there has to be some sort of arch baddie. Maybe it'll become clearer in the next couple of films.
    - What are the knights of ren?

They're guy love this fella:

ren_hoek_by_kurosama_76-d33njyt-e1300716043769.jpg

Seriously...I have no idea.

I thought the way they lowered the shields on the base was beyond daft. The ease with which Phasma gave up leads me to believe she is a Resistance spy or at least a sympathiser. Surely she'll be executed for treason/collusion in the next film by the First Order!

She did it cos she's a woman.

#Starwarsissexist

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If we take that as true there's no way Luke could have bested Vader in ROTJ. He was much too old when he started training and received very little training at that, liiterally none between Empire Strikes Back and ROTJ in fact, which is the period he was supposed to have mastered his powers.

Luke was being bested by Vader, until he figured out the Leia bit, then Luke went apeshit and was basically bashing down on Vader with sheer hatred and on the knife edge between Jedi and Sith. Luke's anger trumps Vader and he was playing into the hands of Palpatine. That's the way I've always seen it anyway.

Also, there's 5 years between the start of 'Star Wars' and the end of 'Return of the Jedi', so there's plenty of time between 'The Empire Strikes Back' and 'Return of the Jedi' for Luke to expand his training.

We just don't see it on screen.

It's always made a certain sense to me.

edit: Just saw Wibbs' post....so yeh...what he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

CGI islands

I thought so but why? Why were they needed? I thought they took away from the splendour and remoteness of the Skelligs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I thought so but why? Why were they needed? I thought they took away from the splendour and remoteness of the Skelligs.

Thats what that planet is supposed to be. An ocean planet with loads of mountains little islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

wally79 wrote: »
    And as was mentioned earlier the existing relationships seem to be brushed aside.

After Hans death Chewie walks straight past the same Leia he gave a big hug to earlier and Leia is smiling when hugging Rey. She doesn't seem as devastated as I would expect.

Well the only thing about that is you have to remember they were separated, a while at least, so we are led to believe. They weren't "together" anymore. We can assume she hadn't seen Chewie in that time either, but it was weird he just walked by her. It was right at the edge of the shot so he might be edited for the Blu Ray. :)

Then in the wider shot Chewie is just standing there while the crowd celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

tfa2.jpg

I need to stand there too! I almost did last year, made the trip to Portmagee and was booked onto a boat but the weather was too bad on that morning and all sailings were cancelled. :(

There is a major problem with this film I thought of last night, its essentially a remake of a New Hope but without the presence of the unstoppable Empire and plucky on the run underdogs being established (literally in first scenes of New Hope).
    That film is essentially self contained which makes sense that its a semi complete story as it was shot as a stand alone.

It's a "soft reboot" of a franchise. It's not a complete reboot like the new Spider-man films, which are completely separate from Raimi's versions. 'The Force Awakens' takes place in the same universe, but it's essentially designed to restart the whole series, while capitalising on the familiarity of the original trilogy of films. Almost to the extent that it sometimes appears as a lazy magpie of a film.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm not denying Rey's sudden power is a bit off but on re-watching the original films a few weeks before seeing this I found Luke's jump to zen jedi master between the end of Empire and the start of ROTJ just as unconvincing,

That's not even remotely the same. There's a significant amount of time that's passed between where Luke could continue his training between the second film and the third. He's already quite adept in 'The Empire Strikes Back', so it isn't that much of a leap to conclude that he's been doing some sort of training in the interim period.

Rey is simply whizz-ping...whoa, on top of everything else, I'm a feckin Jedi!!!!

• Advertisement

Maybe REY is the chosen one, "the one the prophecy spoke of".

I really hope there isn't a "chosen one". That along with virgin births, medichorians and whole host of other, mind numbingly, stupid nonsense needs to be ejected from Star Wars, post haste.

Radiosonde wrote: »
    A similar thing happens in a ANH. Luke seems to quickly forget his aunt and uncle - the people who raised him -

He never seems that close particularly to his aunt and uncle. Especially his uncle. But yeh, he gets over it quite quick. But shock and grief are strange and when there's no time to wallow in grief, people can appear to get over things very quickly.
    Radiosonde wrote: »
    but when Obi-Wan dies, he languishes gloomily on the Falcon, telling Leia, "I can't believe he's gone" - the old hermit guy he has known all of about 3 days. That kind of thing is a general problem in Star Wars (Leia got over the obliteration of her home world too).

It's established in 'Star Wars' that Luke knows Ben Kenobi quite well and Ben knows Luke too. They didn't just meet halfway through 'Star Wars'.

There seems to be a few people on here determined to denigrate the original films in order to try and elevate 'The Force Awakens' for some reason.

But all of the arguments fall kind of flat and are easily countered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Tony EH wrote: »

Also, there's 5 years between the start of 'Star Wars' and the end of 'Return of the Jedi', so there's plenty of time between 'The Empire Strikes Back' and 'Return of the Jedi' for Luke to expand his training.

We just don't see it on screen.
    There's 6 months between Empire and Jedi I believe.

That's still 6 months of training at a time when he is pretty knowledgeable in the ways of the Force anyway. (Jesus, I need to get off this thread :pac: )

And Luke doesn't display THAT much in the way of great power in 'Return of the Jedi' to make it unbelievable.

He chokes a couple of guards and beats the shit out of his auld lad.

There's no great leap going on as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

wally79 wrote: »
    And as was mentioned earlier the existing relationships seem to be brushed aside.

After Hans death Chewie walks straight past the same Leia he gave a big hug to earlier and Leia is smiling when hugging Rey. She doesn't seem as devastated as I would expect.

She knew (via the force I presume) as soon as Han was killed because she nearly collapsed back in the Rebel base so she did have time to take it all in. They weren't exactly hugging either when they met after the lake battle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There seems to be a few people on here determined to denigrate the original films in order to try and elevate 'The Force Awakens' for some reason.

The reason is very simple: it's an honest opinion :)

I have been thoroughly let down by A New Hope when I've rewatched it on two occasions over recent years. I find much of it totally tedious if I'm being honest - a shallow, haphazardly structured film that lacks the spark my childhood imagination was decent enough to lend it. It has it's fair share of memorable and iconic moments, undeniably, but I also believe a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of character and world building was done in subsequent films, Empire particularly (which, let me restress, is a wonderful film I barely have a bad word about). It's a hard film to examine without the benefit of hindsight. Darth Vader is a good example - I think a lot of what makes him such a memorable villain happens in the subsequent films (from a certain music cue to his relationships with other characters), and indeed he can come across as faintly preposterous and generally cartoonish in the original film. Yet it can be tricky to separate Star Wars as a standalone film and the series as a whole.

The Force Awakens, on t'other hand, feels substantially more comfortable in its own skin. It's pacier, it's funnier (not that there isn't a few decent laughs in A New Hope), it's more immediately gratifying (which yes could be a negative thing depending on your response to the film). The characters feel IMO more distinctly drawn, and visually it's an absolute pleasure to watch. I say all this has somebody who has happily tolerated and subsequently adored numerous 4-10 hour long films that move at a glacial pace - I'm far from attention deficit, but sometimes I appreciate a roller coaster.

Are there flaws? Without question, and they've been discussed at length throughout the thread (some I agree with more than others of course). But I genuinely believe it's a more accomplished and enjoyable film than all but one of its predecessors - not necessarily as creative, but definitely more expertly crafted. And I also think it displays evidence of more robust forward planning than the original film does - a lot of the supposed holes and gaps are things I found legitimately intriguing, with plenty of space to be developed on in the forthcoming sequels. It's an excellent self-contained film on its own terms as far as I'd be concerned, but with plenty of space to develop on ideas, characters and narrative strands under explored here - whether on purpose or otherwise.

It goes without saying that every sentence above should contain an IMO clause, although I'd hope we all inherently add that to any internet argument ;) But there's no science to this **** - it's an opinion I stand by, and I know you're not going to agree :)

As an aside, on the Rey being super-powerful thing. While it's one of the dangling strands I'm looking forward to seeing expanded on in the next films, I'd also put forward that it's something that separates it from what came before. Do we need another trilogy seeing a character's gradual growth from desert planet dreamer to Jedi Master? We've been through that already. One of the benefits of establishing Rey's powers so rapidly and explicitly here - crudely at times for sure - is that there's now room to push the story in new directions. None of us are any the wiser to what happens next, but that Rey is already at a standard at least equal to Luke at the end of the RotJ (probably even well beyond - can't forget that it was actually Anakin who managed to defeat the Emperor while a weakened Luke watched on) suggests to me anyway that there's new narrative ground left to sow in Episode VIII and beyond. There's substantial space to push Kylo in unique directions too. But hey, I'll get back to you on all that in 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Wibbs wrote: »
    Exactly. Though I think it may be the case that audiences these days need things to happen quickly or even just happen, in between flash bangs and rollercoaster storytelling.

Exactly, I think we need to remember which I didn't before watching TFA, is these movies are made for kids and not for me.

Not sure why I expected different with Disney in charge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've watched many of the longest, slowest, oldest, most difficult films in cinema history. I loved the majority of them. I find the vast majority of contemporary blockbusters dull, repetitive and uninspired. I also reckoned The Force Awakens was an absolute blast.

Please don't disregard everyone who liked this film as some ADD-riddled, undemanding one size fits all 'modern audience' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Exactly, I think we need to remember which I didn't before watching TFA, is these movies are made for kids and not for me.

Not sure why I expected different with Disney in charge.

Well for one kids movie can be brilliant. The original trilogies were kids movies but they rocked so did the Indiana Jones movies. Movies like the Chronicles of Narnia and the Wizard of Oz definitely have kid friendly style to them.

This movie fits more the cool action movie genre. Plenty of raw violence, characters running around saving the day and a kick ass feel to it that makes lovers of big action sequences go wild. People seeking script on the other hand will turn away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I've watched many of the longest, slowest, oldest, most difficult films in cinema history. I loved the majority of them. I find the vast majority of contemporary blockbusters dull, repetitive and uninspired. I also reckoned The Force Awakens was an absolute blast.

Please don't disregard everyone who liked this film as some ADD-riddled, undemanding one size fits all 'modern audience' :)
    Ditto, for context too the film I saw in the cinema before TFA was Out 1. A film so long, challenging and slow that it had to be screened over a weekend with various intermissions. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

What ruins all movies are the nitpickers who just decide to troll on about how this is a load of crap, the originals are epic and everything else is dumb and stupid. This is not true of in particular this film. It remained true to the Star Wars trilogy. I was not however wowed by it.

The reason is very simple: it's an honest opinion :)

I have been thoroughly let down by A New Hope when I've rewatched it on two occasions over recent years. I find much of it totally tedious if I'm being honest - a shallow, haphazardly structured film that lacks the spark my childhood imagination was decent enough to lend it. It has it's fair share of memorable and iconic moments, undeniably, but I also believe a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of character and world building was done in subsequent films, Empire particularly (which, let me restress, is a wonderful film I barely have a bad word about). It's a hard film to examine without the benefit of hindsight. Darth Vader is a good example - I think a lot of what makes him such a memorable villain happens in the subsequent films (from a certain music cue to his relationships with other characters), and indeed he can come across as faintly preposterous and generally cartoonish in the original film. Yet it can be tricky to separate Star Wars as a standalone film and the series as a whole.

The Force Awakens, on t'other hand, feels substantially more comfortable in its own skin. It's pacier, it's funnier (not that there isn't a few decent laughs in A New Hope), it's more immediately gratifying (which yes could be a negative thing depending on your response to the film). The characters feel IMO more distinctly drawn, and visually it's an absolute pleasure to watch. I say all this has somebody who has happily tolerated and subsequently adored numerous 4-10 hour long films that move at a glacial pace - I'm far from attention deficit, but sometimes I appreciate a roller coaster.

I think I disagree with just about everything up there Johnny. :D

In addition, we're talking about a $200 Million Dollar film with endless financing, the current high tech in everything, a bolted on audience, ad nauseum vs a $10 film, that by any standards was a miracle it was greenlit at all, never mind actually completed that changed cinema forever (although the result certainly wasn't good).

And still the 1977 film is a better film over all. :P

In fact, the more I watch the original 'Star Wars' (god bless you Harmy!) the better it gets and I must be into triple digits by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I cannot understand some of the posts on this thread that I have read. Everyone is screaming for a Star Wars film like the originals (by this I mean episode IV, V and VI). Fine.
    But then they complain that The Force Awakens is just a "poor reboot" of the originals and there is too much coincidence and that they are just using the old characters like Han and Leia etc for the sake of it, to keep the older/original fans happy, and that they have ruin Star Wars the way they ruined Trek (which I wholeheartedly disagree with btw) And also give out about the new characters and how they are emo, and too goodie goodie and not believable?!?!?
    Come on! JJ Abrams is a director (albeit one that is a massive Star Wars fan!) who was hired to do a job, which was to make a triolgy of films to follow on from the most successful movie franchise of all time (that may not be a fact but it should be). Not only had a he a massive legacy to live up to, all the hype, expectation and critisism that comes with trying to please everyone. Which we all know is impossible. I am sure that he and his crew did their best because it they are fans too and believe 100% in what they were making. I really think people are being too harsh by calling it lazy writing and a lazy script. I didn't have any issues with the script, and for those that do I would love for you to point out some examples and I'll reassess. and as for plot holes, they have to keep some stuff back for the other two films!!!
    I think if I wanted a franchise revived and brought to a new generation , I would give it to JJ Abrams and feel it was in safe hands. Trek was nearly dead and he gave it the kick up the arse it needed. But whether it was the one people wanted or not is another argument. But you cannot argue that it wasn't a successful film. I think the Force Awakens will bring Star Wars to a new generation which can only be a good thing.

As for the ones giving out about Rey being super good at using the Force, IMO its no quicker that Luke became super good at using the Force in ANH.

I agree though that I thought Chewie and Leia would be a bit more upset. And that Kylo should have left the mask on.

And for the record I love Poe Dameron <3

There!
    That post was way longer than I intended ( with too many ! marks. sorry.) And I am fully ready for the backlash from the diehards. This is just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I watched 1-6 with the kids over Xmas before taking them into town to the Imax to see The Force Awakens. 1-3 are an abomination, 6 was a first step in the direction of 1-3, Empire narrowly beats out the original. That said I feel The Force Awakens is the best Star Wars film to date, yes it benefits from improvements in technology, but the best thing about it was its willingness to be a bit darker than the original 1970's/80's movies I first watched as a kid many moons ago, and then watched again and again over the past few decades.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have been thoroughly let down by A New Hope when I've rewatched it on two occasions over recent years. I find much of it totally tedious if I'm being honest - a shallow, haphazardly structured film that lacks the spark my childhood imagination was decent enough to lend it.
    Because it's a kids film and always was. It's also nearly 40 years old in a genre(it pretty much created) where technology at getting that genre onscreen has come on in staggering ways.
    It has it's fair share of memorable and iconic moments, undeniably
    Clearly, as TFA has blatantly stolen from it near scene for scene for much of the film. If we were to list scene by scene the clear commonalities; a) it would, or should be embarrassing and b) would show the near cynical lack of novel thinking involved to get the ticket sales.
    It's a hard film to examine without the benefit of hindsight. Darth Vader is a good example - I think a lot of what makes him such a memorable villain happens in the subsequent films (from a certain music cue to his relationships with other characters), and indeed he can come across as faintly preposterous and generally cartoonish in the original film.
    He was a minor enough baddie set alongside the great big baddy of the empire in the original film. And Lucas was getting more and more unsure of him, hence he's in the first film for only around ten minutes.
    Yet it can be tricky to separate Star Wars as a standalone film and the series as a whole.
    Because Star Wars was a standalone film. Lucas has bullshítted so much, so many times over so many years about this, but he really saw it as a one off. Luke's da gets killed by Vader, he's no relation to Luke. Indeed for all his force skill he's seconds away from killing his own son at the Death Star. Leia is the fairy tale princess, but no shrinking violet is she and she was Luke's love interest. Not his sister. All that came later, even within the early writing of Empire. The huge success changed all that and so he dug deep into his massive back notes of the various original scripts and ran with it. Very pretty well to be fair. This was the man who gave us Howard the Duck after all, though in fairness much of Indiana Jones too.
    The Force Awakens, on t'other hand, feels substantially more comfortable in its own skin.
    And well it should given all it's doing is remaking the original flic with a ready fan base, a mahoosive budget and the benefit of hindsight and laser sharp marketing of the last 40 years. Though the notion that some are suggesting that Finn is a token black role, Lando Calrissian was the Token Black role and no amount of "he was cool" can cover that up. Even as a kid I felt a bit odd about that. That and the fact that the original trilogy had feck all women at all in it. One in a main role and that was it.
    not necessarily as creative, but definitely more expertly crafted.
    Well crafted yes, but not necessarily as creative? Ehhh… Seriously? There is barely an original thought or scene in the script.
    As an aside, on the Rey being super-powerful thing. While it's one of the dangling strands I'm looking forward to seeing expanded on in the next films, I'd also put forward that it's something that separates it from what came before. Do we need another trilogy seeing a character's gradual growth from desert planet dreamer to Jedi Master? We've been through that already
    Sure if you want to throw out the hero's journey that's been around since god was a boy(hell, even Jesus follows it) in favour of another angle on it. Cool if you can pull it off, but I really don't think someone like Abrams has a tenth of the talent required to do so.
    Welllll…. the first one was, the second one was a little bit of a blip and the third went back to the kids market. They were family/kids films by design from the outset. A cartoon Dune/Samurai flic for the family market and nothing wrong with that. Especially as it brought so many new elements into cinema. I don't wanna sound like an old fart here, but my god it was a massive revelation for this eleven year old back in the day. We'd quite simply not seen anything like it. Science fiction was mostly very creaky B&W Flash Gordon reruns of a Saturday morning(so we were used to seeing the opening vanishing point text thing and the wipe style edits), Star Trek which even then was dated and Doctor Who. I used wee myself when 2001 might show up as a Saturday matinee, but I was a weird fcuker. :D It's hard for people who've seen it latterly to appreciate just how much of a mind fcuk it was and how cool a universe we suddenly had to inhabit and play around in. Hell I even helped a mate of mine shoot his own fan film on super 8, I built new spaceships and model sets. I was the John Dykstra dude, mainly cos I had loads of Airfix kits. :D

The thing is those kids grew up and wanted more adult themes/their childhood back/comic book guy nerdgasms. The newer fans were likely near adults on their first encounter with that universe. Very hard market to please, hence Disney went with TFA the way it did. It's a very well surface crafted fanflic for the 21st century market.
    It's established in 'Star Wars' that Luke knows Ben Kenobi quite well and Ben knows Luke too. They didn't just meet halfway through 'Star Wars'.
    True enough. It's very clear they know each other well enough.
    IMH it's as much down to the sheer relief that it's not the prequels again and we have a "New Hope" again. Literally. Look how many folks are saying "OK, yes this may have issues, but wait'll you see the next two, it's setting them up to be brilliant". I'm quite sure they won't be nearly as disappointed as they were with the prequels, but will they be good stories? That's a wait and see vibe at the moment. I suspect some of the lower budget spinoffs will be where some decent stuff gets made, because it won't be as much under the Disney beady eye.
    SarahBM wrote:
    As for the ones giving out about Rey being super good at using the Force, IMO its no quicker that Luke became super good at using the Force in ANH.
    The difference between the two is quite literally the definition of chalk and cheese. I'm sometimes wondering if some haven't seen the first one or are going on memory? In the first one Luke blows up the Death Star in the nick of time and with help(some are bitching about the Rey "don't hold my hand" yet Luke is handheld nigh on throughout, inc Leia), that's about his lot. The rest of the time he's almost getting in the way. He's arguably one member in an ensemble cast of heroes, but becomes the main hero because of the big change from when we first see him(Leia is already kicking arse as a politician and rebel leader, Ben Kenobi is a retired warrior and Han and Chewie are... well Han and Chewie).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

I think Mark Hamill best summed up Force Awakens - "it's just a movie folks, not the second coming".

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Saw it for a 3rd time last night in the Savoy after previously seeing it on the 17th and the 18th, for some reason it didn't fully sit right with me first two times. Probably had set my expectations way to high wanting it to be the perfect movie. That and the hype that had been built up around it.

Anyway i watched it last night and it blew me away to the point where i nearly leaped from my seat with joy, i think familiarizing myself with the full movie score really added to the experience as well ("March of the resistance"while Poe's flying his xwing) just awesome, John Williams still has it Lads!!

And the ending, man ill be honest i was emotional!!

Its fantastic and cant wait to see it again.

Kudos to the Savoy for the usual overly salty popcorn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

To anyone wondering why Rey can suddenly use the force, I'll point to the films title.

Kylo reaches into her mind and either breaks a seal put there on he memory (by Luke at the academy? ) or more likely just has inate force capabilities as has been stated by JJ and also by Kylo in the film

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I don't know why so many people struggle to comprehend Reys abilities.

It's a film the possibilities are endless at least suspend belief until her back story has been told and keep the criticism on hold for now imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Wibbs wrote: »
    Because it's a kids film and always was. It's also nearly 40 years old in a genre(it pretty much created) where technology at getting that genre onscreen has come on in staggering ways.

Clearly, as TFA has blatantly stolen from it near scene for scene for much of the film. If we were to list scene by scene the clear commonalities; a) it would, or should be embarrassing and b) would show the near cynical lack of novel thinking involved to get the ticket sales.

He was a minor enough baddie set alongside the great big baddy of the empire in the original film. And Lucas was getting more and more unsure of him, hence he's in the first film for only around ten minutes. Because Star Wars was a standalone film. Lucas has bullshítted so much, so many times over so many years about this, but he really saw it as a one off. Luke's da gets killed by Vader, he's no relation to Luke. Indeed for all his force skill he's seconds away from killing his own son at the Death Star. Leia is the fairy tale princess, but no shrinking violet is she and she was Luke's love interest. Not his sister. All that came later, even within the early writing of Empire. The huge success changed all that and so he dug deep into his massive back notes of the various original scripts and ran with it. Very pretty well to be fair. This was the man who gave us Howard the Duck after all, though in fairness much of Indiana Jones too.

And well it should given all it's doing is remaking the original flic with a ready fan base, a mahoosive budget and the benefit of hindsight and laser sharp marketing of the last 40 years. Though the notion that some are suggesting that Finn is a token black role, Lando Calrissian was the Token Black role and no amount of "he was cool" can cover that up. Even as a kid I felt a bit odd about that. That and the fact that the original trilogy had feck all women at all in it. One in a main role and that was it.

Well crafted yes, but not necessarily as creative? Ehhh… Seriously? There is barely an original thought or scene in the script.

Sure if you want to throw out the hero's journey that's been around since god was a boy(hell, even Jesus follows it) in favour of another angle on it. Cool if you can pull it off, but I really don't think someone like Abrams has a tenth of the talent required to do so.

Welllll…. the first one was, the second one was a little bit of a blip and the third went back to the kids market. They were family/kids films by design from the outset. A cartoon Dune/Samurai flic for the family market and nothing wrong with that. Especially as it brought so many new elements into cinema. I don't wanna sound like an old fart here, but my god it was a massive revelation for this eleven year old back in the day. We'd quite simply not seen anything like it. Science fiction was mostly very creaky B&W Flash Gordon reruns of a Saturday morning(so we were used to seeing the opening vanishing point text thing and the wipe style edits), Star Trek which even then was dated and Doctor Who. I used wee myself when 2001 might show up as a Saturday matinee, but I was a weird fcuker. :D It's hard for people who've seen it latterly to appreciate just how much of a mind fcuk it was and how cool a universe we suddenly had to inhabit and play around in. Hell I even helped a mate of mine shoot his own fan film on super 8, I built new spaceships and model sets. I was the John Dykstra dude, mainly cos I had loads of Airfix kits. :D

The thing is those kids grew up and wanted more adult themes/their childhood back/comic book guy nerdgasms. The newer fans were likely near adults on their first encounter with that universe. Very hard market to please, hence Disney went with TFA the way it did. It's a very well surface crafted fanflic for the 21st century market.

True enough. It's very clear they know each other well enough.

IMH it's as much down to the sheer relief that it's not the prequels again and we have a "New Hope" again. Literally. Look how many folks are saying "OK, yes this may have issues, but wait'll you see the next two, it's setting them up to be brilliant". I'm quite sure they won't be nearly as disappointed as they were with the prequels, but will they be good stories? That's a wait and see vibe at the moment. I suspect some of the lower budget spinoffs will be where some decent stuff gets made, because it won't be as much under the Disney beady eye.

The difference between the two is quite literally the definition of chalk and cheese. I'm sometimes wondering if some haven't seen the first one or are going on memory? In the first one Luke blows up the Death Star in the nick of time and with help(some are bitching about the Rey "don't hold my hand" yet Luke is handheld nigh on throughout, inc Leia), that's about his lot. The rest of the time he's almost getting in the way. He's arguably one member in an ensemble cast of heroes, but becomes the main hero because of the big change from when we first see him(Leia is already kicking arse as a politician and rebel leader, Ben Kenobi is a retired warrior and Han and Chewie are... well Han and Chewie).

OK then what exactly were you expecting from this film? I'm not trying to pick a fight but I am very curious. You don't seem to be happy with any aspect of the film.
    It is not a reboot, but elements from the very successful and well loved previous films are used. A tried and tested format, if you will.
    So what exactly is the problem? Would you be happier if they had started off from scratch with a completely different story line? Personally I don't think that would have been possible. I don't think you can have a star wars universe with out a Skywalker.

Advertisement