Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

http://collider.com/john-williams-new-star-wars-movies/

John Williams seems to be under the impression that he'll be returning to compose the new films. However, he doesn't sound fully informed.

I'm of two minds about this. Williams is a legend, but I'd really like to see Giacchino do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

http://collider.com/john-williams-new-star-wars-movies/

John Williams seems to be under the impression that he'll be returning to compose the new films. However, he doesn't sound fully informed.

I'm of two minds about this. Williams is a legend, but I'd really like to see Giacchino do it.

Can't they both do it? I'd love Giacchino to try his hand at it but I think leaving Williams completely out of it would be a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I couldn't imagine a SW movie without the Williams score, Giacchino is a brilliant composer though so it would be in good hands if he got it. His Star Trek score is magnificent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Jernal wrote: »
    Can't they both do it? I'd love Giacchino to try his hand at it but I think leaving Williams completely out of it would be a mistake.

I think Williams for the main three and maybe let him groom Giacchino on the side projects.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Carrie Fisher has officially signed up for Episode 7.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

It's just been confirmed, Carrie Fisher WILL return as Princess Leia for JJ Abrams' Star Wars Episode 7. When asked by Palm Beach Illustrated, the actress and writer let the news slip.

When asked if she would be involved, she answered with a simple 'yes'. The publication asked Fisher (daughter of Debbie Reynolds) to share her thoughts on how a somewhat older Leia may be presented, to which she responded: "Elderly. She's in an intergalactic old folks' home... I just think she would be just like she was before, only slower and less inclined to be up for the big battle.

Miss Fisher who was recently hospitalised for Bipolar disorder went on to joke about how she'd be getting back into the famous outfit from previous outings: "The bagel buns and the bikini, because probably she has sundowners syndrome," said Fisher. "At sundown, she thinks that she's 20-something. And she puts it on and gets institutionalised."

Is this good news, Star Wars fans? Are you hoping to see her back in the buns and bikini?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Carrie Fisher is hilarious. A real survivor. I imagine her role will be more of a cameo than a main player but she and Harrison Ford (or at least someone of their calibre) were sorely missing from the recent batch of films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I think it could work, and she has aged better than Mark Hammill, that's for sure; I'm ignorant of the novelisations, but I always presumed that after the rebellion restored the republic, Leia would have found herself in a position of authority in the new setup.
    I could easily see Fisher playing a more 'political' variation of Leia, perhaps acting as the mentor / council to whatever new protagonists lead the cast in Ep7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I hope Fisher plays a sort of Mon Mothma role. One of the top brass, just comes on, says a few lines and disappears again.

If Disney are going to have another go at Star Wars then they should make sure there isn't too much nodding and winking at what came before. To me this was one of the (many) letdowns of the prequels. Too much riffing on the original trilogy. It got tiresome fairly quick.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Maybe they're going for a Star Wars version of The Expendables :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

roanoke wrote: »
    I hope Fisher plays a sort of Mon Mothma role. One of the top brass, just comes on, says a few lines and disappears again.

If Disney are going to have another go at Star Wars then they should make sure there isn't too much nodding and winking at what came before. To me this was one of the (many) letdowns of the prequels. Too much riffing on the original trilogy. It got tiresome fairly quick.

Yeah, I hope it's not a "here go the old gang and the new characters off on a fresh adventure"-type deal. Giving Luke a major role would make sense, but seeing old Han, old Leia, old Chewie et al hobbling back aboard the Millennium Falcon...no thanks.

And please, please, please DON'T BRING R2 AND C3PO BACK! They are far too tainted by the prequels (actually there's ~0% chance they won't be in it.)

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah I think it could work, and she has aged better than Mark Hammill, that's for sure; I'm ignorant of the novelisations, but I always presumed that after the rebellion restored the republic, Leia would have found herself in a position of authority in the new setup.
    I could easily see Fisher playing a more 'political' variation of Leia, perhaps acting as the mentor / council to whatever new protagonists lead the cast in Ep7

Hamill looks cool with a beard though so he could easily play a grizzled Luke training new Jedi or something, stands to reason he'd train more of them since he's the last one in the galaxy at the end of ROTJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

krudler wrote: »
    Hamill looks cool with a beard though so he could easily play a grizzled Luke training new Jedi or something, stands to reason he'd train more of them since he's the last one in the galaxy at the end of ROTJ.

No, there is another......

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Kinski wrote: »
    old Chewie et al hobbling back aboard the Millennium Falcon...no thanks.

Yeah I agree, Chewie probably be going grey 'n bald now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

do wookies go bald.....?

to the tinternets!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,148 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ryan Gosling latest name mentioned for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Ryan Gosling gets mentioned for everything. I wish that would stop happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Ryan Gosling, Zac Efron, Leo DiCaprio met with Disney for Star Wars 7?

Ryan Gosling, Zac Efron and Leonardo DiCaprio have all met with Disneyfor roles in Star Wars: Episode VII, according to a new report.

Latino Review claims that DiCaprio was ruled out following his meeting, but Efron and Gosling are still in the running.

http://www.digitalspy.ie/movies/news/a501171/ryan-gosling-zac-efron-leo-dicaprio-met-with-disney-for-star-wars-7.html

DiCaprio as jabba the hutt? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

Thrill wrote: »

Zac Efron..oh God.

This is exactly what people feared would happen when Disney bought Lucasfilm. :(

Zac Efron..oh God.

This is exactly what people feared would happen when Disney bought Lucasfilm. :(

Isn't it terrible that a damn fine actor is being named dropped in relation to Star Wars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/25/ryan-gosling-star-wars_n_3651470.html
    Ryan Gosling 'Star Wars' Rumor 'Not True' According To Representatives

A new report about Ryan Gosling meeting with J.J. Abrams and Lucasfilm to discuss "Star Wars: Episode VII" has been denied by the stars representatives.

For what it's worth, Gosling has expressed a desire to back away from acting in the short term. "I've been doing it too much," he told The Associated Press in March.

"I've lost perspective on what I'm doing. I think it's good for me to take a break and reassess why I'm doing it and how I'm doing it. And I think this is probably a good way to learn about that. I need a break from myself as much as I imagine the audience does."

The stuff about Efron and Dicaprio is all speculation as well I'll bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Thank fook that Ryan "bidness" Gosling link seems to be false.

Zac Efron..oh God.

He already played Anakin in an Robot Chicken episode :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Thrill wrote: »
    For what it's worth, Gosling has expressed a desire to back away from acting in the short term. "I've been doing it too much," he told The Associated Press in March.

"I've lost perspective on what I'm doing. I think it's good for me to take a break and reassess why I'm doing it and how I'm doing it. And I think this is probably a good way to learn about that. I need a break from myself as much as I imagine the audience does."

I'm not sure how relevant that quote is. I remember reading that quote ages ago, March was way before this Star Wars news. He didn't say that recently in relation to Star Wars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So John Williams is officially onboard to score Episode 7 anyway. I'm kinda confused - wasn't Michael Giacchino due to score the soundtrack? As iconic as Williams' music is and doubtless will be, I'd love to hear someone else try to put their stamp of creativity on the mythology's music...

http://io9.com/john-williams-will-officially-score-star-wars-episode-933289604

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'd agree with that if Williams wasn't just so good. And the risk of somebody not getting it right is just too big. It's star wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Zac Efron..oh God.

He certainly doesn't have the acting chops of a Hayden Christensen or Mark Hamill.

There were rumours recently about Abrams dropping out, please be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

bur wrote: »
    He certainly doesn't have the acting chops of a Hayden Christensen or Mark Hamill.

There were rumours recently about Abrams dropping out, please be true.

If Abrahms gets it I think it'll be ok at worst.

Who knows how low it could sink if some absolute gob****e takes over.

Gbear wrote: »
    If Abrahms gets it I think it'll be ok at worst.

Who knows how low it could sink if some absolute gob****e takes over.

In fairness it wouldn't take much to write a better script than what Lucas seemingly banged out over a lunchbreak for the last three. A different director and writers is what the series needs. It would be odd seeing a Star Wars movie shot, how do I put this, unconventionally? like with shakey cam and lens flare. they all have a very similar look, there'll be murders if they make them in 1.85:1 though :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

A script that appears to have been proofread, some likeable characters and at least 50% less CGI on the screen at any one time than the Prequels had and that would be a decent starting point for whoever Directs.

It should be so difficult to muck up a Star Wars film.

Advertisement