Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

That's what I'm aiming at.
    Rey is the kick ass apprentice and Finn follows suits. I think that the SW universe is big enough for them both

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

That's what I'm aiming at.
    Rey is the kick ass apprentice and Finn follows suits. I think that the SW universe is big enough for them both

That's the exact same impression I got leaving the film that bother Rey and FInn had a strong sense of the force.

There's nothing to say that both couldn't be jedi by the next film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I just had the biggest face palm moment ever.
    I have just realized now with you all talking about the dvds that I have that trilogy boxset with two discs and I never bothered to even look at the second disc because I assumed it was just special features.
    And now that I have properly read the box I have realized the original cut is on it. FFS I am kicking myself.
    I guess I'll just have to watch them again over the wknd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

It is now getting to the point where people will be disappointed if Rey is Lukes daughter.

Cmon folks, she would make an amazing daughter of Skywalker of Lukeness...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I presumed that Finn was meant to be a red herring given how much he featured holding the lightsabre in the promos and how little Rey did.

A double-bluff kind of thing would seem a bit silly and contrived at this point. I would have liked to have two young Jedi - it's been 1 Jedi or 1 Master and Apprentice thus far - 2 apprentices would have a certain buddy-cop element. I think it worked in the Clone Wars with Ahsoka, albeit it took a while to work out the kinks and work in enough emotional depth or humour to make it work.

We've had no actual indication he's any good with the force. All of what he's achieved is natural (as opposed to supernatural).

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote: »
    It is now getting to the point where people will be disappointed if Rey is Lukes daughter.

She still could be. It would explain why she was not with the rest of the younglings

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gbear wrote: »
    I presumed that Finn was meant to be a red herring given how much he featured holding the lightsabre in the promos and how little Rey did.

A double-bluff kind of thing would seem a bit silly and contrived at this point. I would have liked to have two young Jedi - it's been 1 Jedi or 1 Master and Apprentice thus far - 2 apprentices would have a certain buddy-cop element. I think it worked in the Clone Wars with Ahsoka, albeit it took a while to work out the kinks and work in enough emotional depth or humour to make it work.

We've had no actual indication he's any good with the force. All of what he's achieved is natural (as opposed to supernatural).

His shooting capabilities reminded me of Luke in the first one but apart from that I agree it's very possible he was a red herring to distract from Rey, though I imagine no-one was surprised by Rey being a fledgling jedi.

I seem to remember several versions of the shot in the snow of Kylo Ren with his light sabre, one with no-one facing him (possibly one of the first promo shots released when everyone freaked out about the sabre), one with just Finn facing him with a light sabre in hand and another with both Finn and Rey facing him again Finn holding the light sabre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

SarahBM wrote: »
    I just had the biggest face palm moment ever.
    I have just realized now with you all talking about the dvds that I have that trilogy boxset with two discs and I never bothered to even look at the second disc because I assumed it was just special features.
    And now that I have properly read the box I have realized the original cut is on it. FFS I am kicking myself.
    I guess I'll just have to watch them again over the wknd :D

Damn You..............:):):). I would love to get them. I hate the fact at the end of ROTJ, that I have to look at the young Anakin rather than the old one. Arghhhhhhh......I could live with the other things, but that annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's what's known as a "soft reboot". It doesn't completely eject every single bit of canon (although it eliminates 90% of the so called Expanded Universe), but at the same time it's intended to kickstart a new series of its own, with much of its own lore.

As for Abrams 'Star Trek', although I am not a fan of the series (my interest begins and ends with the 60's TV show), I know a lot of Trek fans who absolutely despise those films, especially the second one.

fair enough but all the average person sees (including myself) is that it is a continuation of the existing timeline, it doenst feel like in trekkie terms "a deep Space 9" even. there is enough there to say the old characters handed on the batton and that the Empire yada yada has or is in the process of reinventing itself to be the ongoing enemy/foe/darkside. There are endless planets which I have no intention of keeping track of , and which gets me onto my last point, there is no point blowing them up, I dont care. The scene where the villagers were killed was stronger then than the exploding planet

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

What the hell is your problem "dude"?
    Luke was the lead in the original yet there was room for another Jedi. Given how this is like a mirror of that in a lot of ways, why do you think that I am saying that Rey is not the lead??

I am saying that it explains Rey's massive control of her powers and that she will return to be Luke's apprentice AND still be lead.

I meant to put in a :pac: to indicate tongue in cheek... Now it just looks super aggressive... Awkward, apologies! I don't think he'll be a Jedi tbh but it's not the last time we'll see him wield a lightsaber I'll bet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Whoah, hell of an overreaction there? Finn's character was just as much of a driving force in the film imo as Rey and I have no issues with female characters taking centre stage whatsoever.

It was meant to be a joke but te stupid emoticon didn't work....

I actually think Finn was a much better character, if honest. I ended up feeling underwhelmed on my first viewing cos I thought there were too many leads involved. If I'd been the one to choose, I think I woulda picked Finn for the main lead. But in saying that, I think Rey is a much better choice. I actually don't know how to reconcile those two opposing thoughts though... Hmmm...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

D'oh, that makes more sense, thought the outrage was a bit out of character alright :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Hope I don't offend anyone here cos I'm not a film person. Just went to see it and must say I surprisingly enjoyed it.
    Anyway as it turns out it ends with this fit young wan landing a space ship on an island in kerry and she finds Martin ferris on top of the island wearing a cloak.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

loyatemu wrote: »
    See also Yoda being a kickass ninja in the prequels, and being a clapped out old codger in ep 5. Like 20 years would make such a difference in a 900+ year lifespan.

Aye, that's another farcical black mark against those films.

I actually LoL'd when Yoda took out his little lightsabre. It was ridiculous. Like something you'd expect on a Robot Chicken pisstake.

Terrible, terrible, rubbish.

I actually LoL'd when Yoda took out his little lightsabre. It was ridiculous. Like something you'd expect on a Robot Chicken pisstake.

Yea because he'd look much better proportioned with a light sabre like Kylo Rens ;)

Yoda was class in the clone wars animated shorts though, I seem to remember him smashing two star destroyers together using the force, daft stuff altogether :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yea because he'd look much better proportioned with a light sabre like Kylo Rens ;)

Well, I was thinking that it would be better for him not to have a lightsabre at all.

Why do all the Jedi have to be lightsabre wielders?

It would have been better if he just used the Force as his weapon.

Well, I was thinking that it would be better for him not to have a lightsabre at all.

Why do all the Jedi have to be lightsabre wielders?

It would have been better if he just used the Force as his weapon.

Well yes that is true :)

But I do remember at the time of release being very excited at the thoughts of finally getting to see Yoda in action with a light sabre it felt like yeard of wanting to see it happen were coming true and I think most people at the time were hyped up for it.

The awful cgi is what hurt them films the most imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

namloc1980 wrote: »
    She was a bit of a joke in it really. No matter what they do with her now, she'll still be the one who gave into the Resistance and because of her the base was destroyed and millions of First Order Troopers died. Surely they could've come up with a better idea for lowering the shields.

At the risk of pigeonholing her on the basis of GoT, I wonder if Christie isn't miscast, as she seems to bring a downtrodden quality to her performances that doesn't fit with a Fett-esque badass. Lena Headley might have been a better choice for an icy stormtrooper captain, though of course the film still misstepped in having Phasma surrender to Finn et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

py2006 wrote: »

I would much prefer if she was a Kenobi to be honest.

• Advertisement

Mr Freeze wrote: »

Ohhhhhhhh, sh1t just got interesting

Ohhhhhhhh, sh1t just got interesting

It was something I was thinking after it, But she is most likely a Skywalker, but I think it would be better if she was really a relative of Obi Wan.

I like that parallel where its a Kenobi handing Luke Anakins lightsaber again.

Someone posted a really good link to the theory yesterday with loads of detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

one more thing that bothered my about TFA - when they get back to the rebel base after destroying the Death Star Starkiller base, Leia runs straight to Rey to embrace her. Surely she would've shown a bit more concern for Chewie considering he'd just seen his lifelong friend and partner brutally killed, rather than some girl she barely knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I saw that movie in London and the whole cinema erupted with laughter when Yoda started spinning around. Same with Anakin's "bad dream" ("no... mother... no") etc. Awful really.

Seriously, that's why I find TPM to be the most bearable prequel, as it doesn't have that version of Anakin in it. Jake Lloyd is far more watchable, and sure he's a kid doing kid things, but still better than Hayden Christiansen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Having the grand children of Anakin and Obi Wan battle each other would be nice and sort of mirror the prequel trilogy aswell

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Having the grand children of Anakin and Obi Wan battle each other would be nice and sort of mirror the prequel trilogy aswell

Still not a huge fan of this mirroring though, really screams of lazy writing and is just what he did with Wrath of Kahn and Into Darkness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭wally79

Do you mean as in his Grandchild? Did Ben have children or did he stick to celibacy like apparently Jedi were supposed to.

Also, Finn Calrissian anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

wally79 wrote: »
    Do you mean as in his Grandchild? Did Ben have children or did he stick to celibacy like apparently Jedi were supposed to.

Also, Finn Calrissian anyone?

Yeah, the Kenobi idea makes no sense. He died apparently childless.

Finn being Lando's son is a horrible idea.

wally79 wrote: »

No idea, its not a big stretch to say he didn't just sit in a hut in Tatoonine for a whole 30 years, occasionally checking in on Owen Lars and Luke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭wally79

No idea, its not a big stretch to say he didn't just sit in a hut in Tatoonine for a whole 30 years, occasionally checking in on Owen Lars and Luke.

Oh i'd say he was kept busy in the hut but you cant make babies that way :p

Advertisement