Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭wally79

Radiosonde wrote: »
    Finn being Lando's son is a horrible idea.

It's purely based on the fact they seem to like links to the original films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

wally79 wrote: »

It would be a link too far. Casting a black actor in a leading role increases the franchise's diversity, but making him the son of the only prominent black character in the OT would feel tokenistic. I'd be stunned if they went in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This describes in very good detail the setting that we never heard about in the film:
    http://imgur.com/gallery/zpRxy

As I argued before, I wasn't saying it didn't make sense, just that we weren't told anything about it. This all hangs together much better.

I still think it is silly that The First Order had anything like the industrial or economic ability to build the things they did (a new fleet of capital ships let alone the Star Killer), but I'd have enjoyed the film more if they had given us more of these details so we knew who the hell the various players were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I wouldn't mind the Obi-Wan - Rey link, and there are some cool parallels to draw from it but I hope they come up with something more interesting. They are obviously holding the reveal for one of the sequels which does indicate it's someone we already know (and we don't know of any Obi-Wan offspring).
    Finn being Lando's son is a horrible idea.

And that they are both the only prominent black characters in the Star Wars universe. I'm surprised people haven't latched on to the idea that he's Windu's grandson. Then we can have Windu and Kenobi's grandchildren take on the new emperor and Vader's grandson. All we need is a reveal then that Snoke is the grandson of Count Dooku or something and we're all set.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

And maybe Poe is somehow related to Jar Jar. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Bacchus wrote: »
    And that they are both the only prominent black characters in the Star Wars universe.

Obviously that too. I didn't think it needed saying.

I know you are being facetious but Windu was on the Jedi council and seemed to be second only to yoda. I doubt he would have broken the celibacy rules

That is just the problem. It would smack of "the two black guys must be related in some way because they are the only two."

That is just the problem. It would smack of "the two black guys must be related in some way because they are the only two."

Of course it would. Doesnt mean it wont happen

But we will see. Its all conjecture. not worth getting upset about

I think it is worth saying though (even if it's obvious). Rumours that Finn might be Lando's son are purely because both characters are black and there are very few prominent black characters in the OT (and the prequels). There's nothing else to it. At least the Rey, Obi-Wan link actually laid out a coherent theory that makes sense.

I hope that there is no attempt made in the sequels to provide Finn with a link to his parentage, we'll get enough of that with Rey. He was baby stolen by the First Order to be trained as a Stormtrooper. There doesn't need to be some tie to the OT for every single character. It's enough to say that "the force awakened" and he is one of these force sensitive people affected by it.

Besides, it's adds an "anyone can be a hero" aspect to Star Wars which hasn't been done since Han Solo - in the prequels Anakin was an immaculate conception and Padme was a queen, there was no hero plucked from obscurity.

At least the Rey, Obi-Wan link actually laid out a coherent theory that makes sense.

I agree with everything you say except this

I don't think it makes sense as there is no reference to obi wan having family and obi wan always seemed like a truly obedient Jedi.

The fact that it doesn't make sense doesn't mean it wont happen. It's a universe where anything can be invented.

And just to close the other argument yes I agree the link has been made because they are both black main characters which are rare in the star wars universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

New book cover:

image-17.jpeg?w=1000

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I agree with everything you say except this

I don't think it makes sense as there is no reference to obi wan having family and obi wan always seemed like a truly obedient Jedi.

The fact that it doesn't make sense doesn't mean it wont happen. It's a universe where anything can be invented.

In Rey's vision when she touched the lightsaber, Obi-Wan's voice can be heard saying something like "Rey, these are your first steps". They used a clip of Alec Guinness saying "afraid" to have him say "Rey", and brought in Ewan McGregor to read the rest.

Obi-Wan is speaking directly to Rey through the vision. Rey would have been born probably at least 10 years after Obi-Wan died.

That's why many think there has to be some connection between Rey and Obi-Wan, more so than between Rey and Luke. It's too intentional to be coincidental.

Penn wrote: »
    In Rey's vision when she touched the lightsaber, Obi-Wan's voice can be heard saying something like "Rey, these are your first steps". They used a clip of Alec Guinness saying "afraid" to have him say "Rey", and brought in Ewan McGregor to read the rest.

Obi-Wan is speaking directly to Rey through the vision. Rey would have been born probably at least 10 years after Obi-Wan died.

That's why many think there has to be some connection between Rey and Obi-Wan, more so than between Rey and Luke. It's too intentional to be coincidental.

Or its just another link back to the earlier films when obi wan was the de facto voice of the force as he was the only one who spoke through it after death.

The other thing is in the trailer luke can be heard saying "The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power, too."

I know its probably taken form the old film but I think either he's talking to Ren in a flashback or Rey is his daughter which I feel is more likely. Depends on whether they go for another "I am your father" twist or just a straight storyline

Besides, it's adds an "anyone can be a hero" aspect to Star Wars which hasn't been done since Han Solo - in the prequels Anakin was an immaculate conception and Padme was a queen, there was no hero plucked from obscurity.

You're forgetting about a certain plucky Gungan.

It slots very nicely into what we already know though and there is plenty of scope there for Obi-Wan to have have a child while in exile. As Penn pointed out too, the flashbacks provide a direct connection between Rey and Obi-Wan via the lightsaber. It's a loose argument alright but if true, it fits.

As I said though, I'd prefer that they come up with something more interesting with who her parents are and I do agree that it would be unlikely that Obi-Wan had a child that managed to stay under wraps until now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Be cool if we could add a poll.
    Who is Rey?
    Lukes daughter
    Han&leias daughter
    Obi wan's granddaughter
    Random girl

Remember that you don't have to have Jedi parents to be born with force abilities. The films make it seem like that but most Jedi just had regular parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

david75 wrote: »
    Be cool if we could add a poll.
    Who is Rey?
    Lukes daughter
    Han&leias daughter
    Obi wan's daughter
    Random girl

Remember that you don't have to have Jedi parents to be born with force abilities. The films make it seem like that but most Jedi just had regular parents.

Seriously doubt she is Obi's daughter. She was born long after he died. Granddaughter maybe.

Edit: Unless Force ghosts can do the horizontal boogie with the hunnies.

I'm thinking we'll get a teaser for rogue one before force awakens leaves cinemas.

Anyone heard anything?

py2006 wrote: »
    Seriously doubt she is Obi's daughter. She was born long after he died. Granddaughter maybe.

Sorry. Duly edited.

david75 wrote: »
    I'm thinking we'll get a teaser for rogue one before force awakens leaves cinemas.

Anyone heard anything?

Prob a bit early, TFA will still be in cinemas for at least another month, maybe even two.

We might see a RO teaser in the summer, connected to some other big movie release - however I would say that RO will be marketed a bit softer and obviously won't do as well in the cinema. Could it break 500 million?

Interesting as well that Felicity Jones is the star - strong female leads. Wonder will we see a Mon Mothma origin story? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

py2006 wrote: »

Edit: Unless Force ghosts can do the horizontal boogie with the hunnies.

Well that's how Anakin was born, the midi-chlorians impregnated Shmi :p

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭PIORUN

Snook knocked up Shmi!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Man, I sunk in my seat in the cinema watching ep 1 at this point. Things only got worse after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Man, I sunk in my seat in the cinema watching ep 1 at this point. Things only got worse after that.

Agreed. Should have just had Shmi refuse to talk about Anakin's father / clam up when he's brought up and leave the audience wondering I think. It would leave the unconfirmed possibility that his father was a Sith.

Instead we get the virgin Mary in space.

JustShon wrote: »
    The Virgin Mary in Space

Quick, someone call the Syfy channel!

As much as I want them to ignore the prequels as much as possible, it would be neat if they retconned the virgin birth out. Like maybe Shmee was involved with a Sith and either lied or had her memory erased.

And midichlorians??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

As much as I want them to ignore the prequels as much as possible, it would be neat if they retconned the virgin birth out. Like maybe Shmee was involved with a Sith and either lied or had her memory erased.

The best they've managed at this point was in the Plagueis novel where
    Darth Plagueis, Palpatines master, spent the bones of 50 years researching how to control life with the Force, basically to make himself immortal. One of his efforts to control the force in such a way involved accidentally creating life - Anakin. This is also part of what draws Palpatine to him.

It's obviously a ret-con, but short of erasing it from the canon it's about the best they can do. Much better than prophecy and space Jesus or whatever else.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Gbear wrote: »
    The best they've managed at this point was in the Plagueis novel where
    Darth Plagueis, Palpatines master, spent the bones of 50 years researching how to control life with the Force, basically to make himself immortal. One of his efforts to control the force in such a way involved accidentally creating life - Anakin. This is also part of what draws Palpatine to him.

It's obviously a ret-con, but short of erasing it from the canon it's about the best they can do. Much better than prophecy and space Jesus or whatever else.

They could use the misguided belief in the idea of a prophecy as one of the reasons the Jedi where defeated. That way, the prequels stay, but the idea is ditched. They could do likewise re the midichlorians if necessary which leaves the prequels as is, but leaves that bad idea behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

When will we even get a Teaser for Episode 8.

Advertisement